Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Cnut the Great posted:

That's not true. Luke is nice as hell to both the droids. He doesn't even want Threepio to call him "Master."

It's one of the main reasons Luke is so immediately likable: he treats his servants like actual people.

It's been awhile since I saw A New Hope but I thought I remembered him being whiny/petulant about having to go get them/clean them up/deal with them or whatever. He only gets into having them around once he realizes they've got rebellion ties.

I could be misremembering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Luke very pointedly speaks to Threepio and R2 as equals from the get go as opposed to everyone else who ignores/hates them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Luke does still think of them as "the help" at first. He's worried when R2 runs off because his uncle will be pissed.

Rey just seems to instinctively treat BB as an equal.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Maxwell Lord posted:

"You probably didn't recognize me because of my red arm" is the best line in the movie.

YOU try being fluent in over 6 million languages, and see how much room you have for tact/common sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

"You probably didn't recognize me because of my red arm" is the best line in the movie.

I went with the "Goodness" and "Prince--General! Did you see who's here?" bits, but the line about the arm just felt really forced...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was perfect droid logic. "He is not acting as though he is happy to see me. He must not know it's me. Well my arm is a different color!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought it was perfect droid C-3P0 logic. "He is not acting as though he is happy to see me. He must not know it's me. Well my arm is a different color!"

Fixed that one for you.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd say it's just 3PO logic.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Silver Brushes posted:

Thinking about Knights of Ren: I finally figured out what Kylo Ren standing with half a dozen guys with slight different armor/weapons reminds me of: Vader talking with the bounty hunters. Not saying that's what they are of course, but visually I couldn't put my finger on it until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE&t=88s

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The Knights of Ren seem to me to either be other padawans turned to the dark side along with Kylo Ren in whatever the catastrophic falling out was, or his personal group of henchmen. But the fact that they aren't present in TFA makes me think they aren't a special bodyguard or anything, or even an elite unit. When the droid escaped, why didn't Kylo just say "Send for the Knights of Ren"?

For instance, in the flashback sequence with the lightsaber, it seems like Kylo Ren and the KoR are surrounded by the bodies of Jedi trainees that are using staffs like Reys - what is to say that Kybar crystals aren't really rare and that only Ben Solo was able to find one and make a lightsaber? It would elevate him to a level above the other turned trainees, who become his lackeys.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The weird thing about the Knights of Ren is that in another version of the movie, you could have Kylo be offed in this one and still have X other Knights Of Ren out there to bother our heros. But presumably there going to try and undo Kylo's laughability in the next two movies, so there's less of a pressure to feature other KoR in later movies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gohmak posted:

Any SMG analysis yet?

I haven't seen the film as of yet, but I get the impression people are being unfair to it with this "it was great, but absolutely nothing interesting happened" consensus.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Luke does still think of them as "the help" at first. He's worried when R2 runs off because his uncle will be pissed.

Rey just seems to instinctively treat BB as an equal.

Even then he's really just pissed off at the whole situation, not at Artoo. When they finally catch up with Artoo, Threepio is angrier at him than Luke is. In fact, Luke really isn't angry at all. Mark Hamill actually considers the way Luke acts toward Artoo in this particular scene to be the key to understanding the character:

J.W. Rinzler, The Making of Star Wars posted:

Despite slow going, the one scene completed on Day Five—in which Luke finds an errant R2-D2—helped Hamill better understand his character. “George is Luke,” Hamill says. “He is. I always felt that way. We were in the desert one time—it was the scene where I had just found Artoo after he ran away—so I ran up and said, ‘Hey, where do you think you’re going?!’ And to Threepio, ‘Do you think I should replace the restraining bolt?!?’ But George came up to me and said, ‘It’s not a big deal.’ He acted it out, just walking up and saying, ‘Noo, I don’t think he’s going to try anything.’ At that point, I was thinking, Well, he’s doing it so small, so I’ll do it just like him—and he’ll see how wrong he is. So I did it like that—and he said, ‘Cut. Print it. Perfect.’ So I thought, Oh … I see.

“After that, I often felt like I was playing George; I even went so far as to do his little beard gestures,” Hamill adds. “George even gave me his nickname, The Kid; they used to call George The Kid until he grew his beard.”

So I guess George does direct his actors. Sometimes.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hey misterbibs you should make some more posts about how you laughed at kylo ren. maybe you could mention again how you would also laugh at your boss if they waved a meat cleaver at you. these are fresh and useful insights that remind everyone how edgy you are and really shine new light on Star Wars: The Force Awakens

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
TRAITORtrooper blocks the lightsaber with a cattleprod. For some reason I thought lightsabers could cut through anything. :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

TRAITORtrooper blocks the lightsaber with a cattleprod. For some reason I thought lightsabers could cut through anything. :shrug:

They have always been unable to cut through continuous energy fields. Energy gates on Naboo, tips of Magnaguard staves, etc.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

It's kind of arbitrary, at the beginning of episode 3 there are those robots with capes that have sticks that look even more like cattle prods that are able to block lightsabers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

jivjov posted:

They have always been unable to cut through continuous energy fields. Energy gates on Naboo, tips of Magnaguard staves, etc.

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's kind of arbitrary, at the beginning of episode 3 there are those robots with capes that have sticks that look even more like cattle prods that are able to block lightsabers.
thx for learning me. I don't remember any cape robots with cattleprods but I will take your word for it. I guess I'll have to watch the prequels again sometime... :smith:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

Cortosis appears in Rebels so it appears that it at least is still canon, which means we can count that in the "blocks lightsabers" category. Maybe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

thx for learning me. I don't remember any cape robots with cattleprods but I will take your word for it. I guess I'll have to watch the prequels again sometime... :smith:

They're barely in it. Anakin and Obi-Wan take about 20 seconds to learn how to fight them, and then later on Obi-Wan just bypasses fighting them again entirely by crushing them with a giant crate.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

You really don't

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This isn't really a deep insight or anything, but the reason Luke is so kind to the droids is largely because he feels like he's in the same boat as them. Uncle Owen is his master, and his farm responsibilities are his restraining bolt. By tricking Luke into removing his restraining bolt, Artoo ends up inspiring Luke to do the same thing regarding his own situation. That's one reason Luke just can't bring himself to be mad at Artoo for running away. He gets where Artoo is coming from. He empathizes with the droids.

And the film actually shows these parallels in a neat way. There's a reason there's so much focus placed on restraining bolts and "droid callers." They're not just plot devices, they're thematic devices:

Luke can't find Threepio, so he calls for him with his droid remote. Threepio is compelled to respond by his restraining bolt. Luke runs outside and commiserates with Threepio over Artoo's disappearance, then Owen calls for Luke to come inside. Luke, just like Threepio, feels himself compelled to respond:

quote:

Owen yells up from the homestead plaza.

OWEN
Luke, I'm shutting the power down
for the night.

LUKE
All right, I'll be there in a few
minutes. Boy, am I gonna get it.

In the very next scene, Owen repeatedly calls out for Luke. This time, Luke does not respond. Beru's last words in the film are to gently inform Owen that Luke has left. Owen's last words are to express his frustration at the prospect of Luke neglecting his obligations on the farm:

quote:

The interior of the kitchen is a worm glow as Aunt Beru
prepares the morning breakfast. Owen enters in a huff.

OWEN
Have you seen Luke this morning?

AUNT BERU
He said he had some things to do
before he started today, so he left
early.

OWEN
Uh? Did he take those two new droids
with him?

AUNT BERU
I think so.

OWEN
Well, he'd better have those units
in the south range repaired be midday
or there'll be hell to pay!

It's a seemingly simple, prosaic scene, but it basically says it all: Luke has finally left. He's not a farmer anymore, and Owen no longer controls him. He's removed his restraining bolt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think there is something to be said for the way characters treat droids being indicative of their character. In episode 1 we have the bad guys who use droids as disposable cannon fodder, contrasted with Amidala, who calls a ceremony to praise R2-D2 for his service. Then in episode 2 we see the badguys' moral bankruptcy one-upped by the Jedi and wise old Yoda, who comes blazing in with an army of disposable human beings.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pulp Can Move posted:

It's rare to see an action-adventure movie where the humor is handled as well as it is in this. Every joke lands really well, and there are a lot of them.

Nah, there's way too many jokes in this. It deflates any tension the scenes could be building, because if the characters can joke about it, it must not be too serious, can it?

Anyway, for me, this felt less like a Star Wars film, and more like someone's bad Star Wars fan fiction.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crow_Robot posted:

e: Everyone still hates 3PO though.

His introduction was my favorite among the old cast. Nearly everyone in my theater laughed or applauded when he butted his way in on screen in front of Leia during her exchange with Han. JJ used just the right amount of threepio needed and it was perfect.

[edit]

Davros1 posted:

Nah, there's way too many jokes in this. It deflates any tension the scenes could be building, because if the characters can joke about it, it must not be too serious, can it?

All the humor was in appropriate places I thought. Which scene in particular did you find the humor to deflate the tension? Are you going to say the line when Poe first meets Kylo Ren? Because that humor bit basically further informs us what we can expect from Poe as a character; the guy is cocky, kind of rogue-ish in a Han Solo way, and we already know he's daring because he was sent alone on a critical mission for the resistance, so of course his going to give some lip to the First Order's gestapo chief when caught in an attempt to show he's not afraid.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 21, 2015

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Attack of the Clones back when it came out, and which even my twelve year old self realized was a loving mess ,so I'm just amazed that they pulled this off.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rey treats BB8 like a living thing instead of a slave. ... Maybe droid liberation is gonna be a thing?

That would be a legit good subplot for future films.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 21, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I haven't seen the film as of yet, but I get the impression people are being unfair to it with this "it was great, but absolutely nothing interesting happened" consensus.

Well get on with it man. We need to know whether we like this movie or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The best C3PO bit is simply him cock blocking Han and ruining a tender moment. My emotions had to do a complete 180 in the space of nano seconds.

Also I'm just curious, does the film feel like it needed a PG-13/12A cert to people? I can't remember anything particularly 'not-PG' happening. The blood hand print is the worst, but I'm possibly forgetting something? All children should see this.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

teagone posted:

His introduction was my favorite among the old cast. Nearly everyone in my theater laughed or applauded when he butted his way in on screen in front of Leia during her exchange with Han. JJ used just the right amount of threepio needed and it was perfect.

Just to clarify I meant everyone meaning the in universe characters, not the audience.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Baby-8 is Cool but uses the same soundboard as Wall-E. Should have used the Cartman soundboard instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
BB8 was loving excellent and I couldn't get over how much emotion they got out of him. Best part of the movie IMO.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

The best C3PO bit is simply him cock blocking Han and ruining a tender moment. My emotions had to do a complete 180 in the space of nano seconds.

Also I'm just curious, does the film feel like it needed a PG-13/12A cert to people? I can't remember anything particularly 'not-PG' happening. The blood hand print is the worst, but I'm possibly forgetting something? All children should see this.

Han Solo gets stabbed and killed by his own son, there's a bit of blood on Kylo Ren once he gets shot, an entire village is massacred in the opening scene

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe it was the lack of ambiguity of people being literally blown to pieces from strafing runs?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Homework Explainer posted:

that's forums poster deadken actually
I'm just going to assume that SuperMechagodzilla himself wrote it and he's just throwing us off the scent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cargohills posted:

Han Solo gets stabbed and killed by his own son, there's a bit of blood on Kylo Ren once he gets shot, an entire village is massacred in the opening scene

None of that felt particularly graphic, but I'm guessing its consistent with other ratings. I don't usually watch many films that are orientated to all ages, but I don't think I'd have had an issue with kids seeing TFA at the same age I was watching ANH (5-6 from memory).

I remember not being allowed into Gremlins 2 with my father because it was a hard '12' and I was about 10. Heartbreaking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Saw the movie yesterday. Considering JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies and the fact that Lindelof and Roberto Orci's names are smeared on the movie, I went in expecting an okay "modernization" ala all the other dredged-up reboots, full of vague and overproduced action (for china), hurried exposition from characters during action scenes (to make room for more pointless action), and "hip"/witty banter to establish who is Good Guy. Ultimately forgettable and inferior to the original pop classics, going down in history as "well, it wasn't bad... save for a menagerie of weirdos that read way too much into Abrams/Lindelof/any writer involved with Michael Bay

Instead, I left pretty impressed! It's amazing to compare Abrams' Star trek to its source, and then Abrams' Star Wars to its own; it's like the difference between a talented director working to pay the bills, and a talented director working a passion project. Everything about the movie, from the pacing of the story, to the development of the characters, to the methodical and grandiose score emulates the original trilogy enough to feel like a natural bigger-budget addition, while at the same time being distinctive enough to be more than a pointless modern throwback.

I especially loved the effects; both practical and digital effects are used exactly where they should be needed, instead of going "good enough" with just one. Rigid and imposing elements (aspects you want to have a large impact and presence) use practical effects (ships, droids, larger aliens), while fast, fluid, and subtle aspects abuse CGI in a way that makes you actually think "well I can tell this is CGI, but I can see why they used it" (smaller aliens, and environmental effects) instead of feeling like a halfassed copout.

My only real complaint is that the new Emperor felt phoned in; he didn't feel imposing, he wasn't particularly active, you just aren't scared of him (which is a pretty huge failure for a character who is introduced as being a ten-story god). Considering his shadowed scenes and limited movement, I feel like they should have used some animatronics (probably from the chest up, with a greenscreen face and human arms, for his angry outburst) to make him feel less "CGI-ish". In its fairness I'd consider it of equal quality with GotG's Thanos, and it only sticks out because the film is otherwise flawless in blending effects.

Story-wise, I felt that it was a bit too hurried (it would benefit immensely from some more casual worldbuilding scenes off of Jakku). I'd be excited for an extended edition but the film is already Two hours and Thirty minutes long , christ. That said, it's easy to follow, pulls some clever environmental storytelling tricks, and managed to not feel excessive. I feel that it does a GREAT job of expanding the OT in a way that feels natural and adds to the original material (unlike the PT, which seemed determined to carve out its heart and pump it full of midichlorians and sand). In particular I'm impressed by the scene where Kylo Solo murders Han Solo. It makes Luke's choice in The Return of the Jedi to not kill Vader more impactful and dangerous, in that it provides an in-universe example of a plot-armored character making the same attempt and vastly misjudging their mental state.

The ending is really great by the way; it's simple enough to feel like an immediately satisfying resolution, but still manages to make a powerful scene out of very little action. Luke's treatment in general was really great, and excelled at selling him as a legendarily powerful and wise figure (aka Rey's Yoda) without requiring the story to vocally ram it down your throat. Yet to see if his extensive time away from movies has harmed his [physical] acting chops, but he does give a pretty harsh and surprised/impressed stare.

Now we just have to hope that the next episode doesn't go the way of the Into Darkness. Keep that leash tight, Disney!

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 21, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was pretty drat violent throughout.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oh, I was also slightly annoyed that Gwendoline Christie has such a minor role in the film, consideribg how awesome her and her armor's design is, but considering how much the movie crams in at once I can forgive ONE character not getting a full-fledged role in the first episode.

After watching the film, I still don't know who that weird turd alien that litters the toy aisle of every store (becausr nobody wants him) is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

TFA:

What is the actual plot of this movie? It doesnt have a beginning middle or end. Theres no catharsis in blowing up ultra death star which seemed secondary to the goal of finding luke, which doesnt actually amount to anything for the characters of the film for the runtime of this movie. obviously theres a meta satisfaction for us seeing grandmaster luke but if the whole film start to finish is about finding him, and the movie ends before the payoff of finding him becomes clear, whats the point of this film as a lone entity? and the first order just seems like a joke.. we're told over and over how far reaching and menacing they are but the one accomplishment they make, blowing up the star system, is totally glossed over (how many lines were in the script about this mass exterminatin of like a trillion people?), and they dont find Luke, and their ludicrously massive powerful home and weapon gets a really cynical unholy obliteration the same way that star trek planet did that almost seems tragic and excessively destructive on part of the Resistance. Did anyone clap or cheer when Starkiller blew up? I wasnt around for A New Hope in theaters but I imagine people lost their poo poo when the Death Star got wrecked. The Resistance itself seems totally hollow and immaterial as like an actual faction existing in this new Star Wars universe. This movie doesnt have the fundamentals down and it feels like theres barely anything to talk about besides being excited for part two.

Kylo Ren was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

There are also a really crazy amount of stormtroopers that die in this movie and the sheer suddenness with which a fun escape sequence becomes, like, a grisly guerilla attack.. its weird. Especially considering the film establishes the first order troopers as brainwashed kidnapees right before this happens. Am I supposed to feel bad for them or not.

• Locked thread