Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm living in a place with stall-style shower doors for the first time; they seem to be leaking, allowing water to spill out onto the floor. Is some leaking to be expected with that style of door, or should that be looked at by maintenance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I'm living in a place with stall-style shower doors for the first time; they seem to be leaking, allowing water to spill out onto the floor. Is some leaking to be expected with that style of door, or should that be looked at by maintenance?

I'd have them come take a look at it if it's a significant amount of water, you don't want to end up liable for water damage down the line. Otherwise maybe a bath mat to absorb and hang it over the side once you get out?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

You can get a shower door bottom sweep to block the water so it drips back on the right side. Also you can change how the showerhead is angled if a lot of water is getting outside of the shower.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

You can get a shower door bottom sweep to block the water so it drips back on the right side. Also you can change how the showerhead is angled if a lot of water is getting outside of the shower.

There is a door on either side of the shower, so angling the head away from one door just points out at the other.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
This is a pretty stupid question but I'm wondering if any interior decorating goons have some advice.

My wife and I have a long simple 1-drawer Ikea desk that we keep our computers and monitors on. We have it in the living room so that we're not sequestered away in the bedroom or office all the time.

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any ways to class it up when company comes over? Anything besides awkwardly draping a sheet over the screens and desk. Bonus points if it also works to obscure the cords on the ground, especially from curious babies.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My new house has a gas fireplace but I cannot find an igniter switch for it. It has the gas on/off knob, but no way that I can find to turn the gas into fire. Do I just throw a match in there to start it? That seems kinda dangerous, but I can't find any other method of ignition.

The property manager had no idea either and suggested I call a chimney company to come out but I feel like there's a really simple solution here that I'm missing.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My new house has a gas fireplace but I cannot find an igniter switch for it. It has the gas on/off knob, but no way that I can find to turn the gas into fire. Do I just throw a match in there to start it? That seems kinda dangerous, but I can't find any other method of ignition.

The property manager had no idea either and suggested I call a chimney company to come out but I feel like there's a really simple solution here that I'm missing.

You can use one of those lighters that only sparks. Those are for gas furnaces and ranges. I think that'd be better than a match since you wouldn't have to fish charred matches out of there afterward.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Sparker-Electronic-Spark-Lighter/dp/B00XQV2S78/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1449931839&sr=8-7&keywords=spark+lighter

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is a pretty stupid question but I'm wondering if any interior decorating goons have some advice.

My wife and I have a long simple 1-drawer Ikea desk that we keep our computers and monitors on. We have it in the living room so that we're not sequestered away in the bedroom or office all the time.

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any ways to class it up when company comes over? Anything besides awkwardly draping a sheet over the screens and desk. Bonus points if it also works to obscure the cords on the ground, especially from curious babies.

Trying to straight up hide it with a sheet would just make it looks more questionable, I think.

You should be able to make it look presentable when you have guests. Dusting, clearing stacks of work stuff, putting away loose peripherals (like headphones), maybe standing the keyboard behind the monitor. Unless you're somehow embarrassed by owning a personal computer, just make it look well-kept and give a sense of not-using-that-right-now.
You can perhaps add a small vase with one or a few flowers to the table, just not right in front of the monitors, that would also end up looking "suspicious".
If the table is against a wall, consider hanging a picture above it.

For cables, get some cable trays for mounting below the table, and perhaps some cable sleeves to keep things bundled.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Can you replace the desk with something with wheels? Plug everything into a power strip, just unplug the strip and wheel the desk out of the room when you have company.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Drunk Tomato posted:

1) Hide the desk area behind a room divider. Make sure to choose a desk chair that fits completely under the desk to maximize your space.

2) If you are not going to remove the monitors from the desk, you can route the cords and attach them to the legs of the desk using these nifty velcro strips in the same color as the desk. Alternatively, wrap the cords as tightly as possible behind the monitors with the velcro wraps, and route a power strip up the leg for easy access like this.

3) You can also hang a drop cloth behind the desk to disguise the wires.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My parents' gas fireplaces have no built-in igniters, they use one of those long trigger-pull lighters for lighting barbecues. I get the feeling this is normal, just buy some long matches or a BBQ lighter or find your courage and chuck a lit match in the general direction of "fire here"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The property manager is absolutely insisting that I get a chimney company to do it. I'm conceding on this one provided the management company pays for it since the house has been vacant for so long and I have no idea if any routine maintenance has been done to the fireplace.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You light the long handled lighter, THEN you turn on the gas, it lights just like a BBQ.

If you turn on the gas and then do the lighter, you will scorch off your eyebrows.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The property manager is absolutely insisting that I get a chimney company to do it. I'm conceding on this one provided the management company pays for it since the house has been vacant for so long and I have no idea if any routine maintenance has been done to the fireplace.

Probably your best bet, they'll be able to check over everything. The company I used checked the flue and stack before I got a new fire installed in the flat I'm in, was very glad I did as there were several huge old wasps nests choking the stack in three or four places. Apparently this could (a) have resulted in restricted airflow sending smoke and nasty gases into my living room, (b) made a lot of wasps into tiny angry fireballs falling onto my hearth rug or (c) set the chimney of a four storey residential building on fire.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Sup guys, I need some more noise advice.

So we've been living in the apartment since June or so, and we stay up late. I generally don't sleep until 3-4 if I don't have work (and between 12-2 if i do). My girlfriend won't sleep until that time either, maybe even later. We also have friends who come stay over, and they stay up late. Long story short, we are active night people.

Our neighbors have been intermittently complaining about various noises at night. Mostly door slams and toilet seats closing too loudly. I understand their plight, but I felt like it wasn't us because we heard similar sounds. Nevertheless I started closing things quietly and advised everyone to do the same. But they still kept complaining about these noises, so we cut it down even more and I really tried to enforce the "be really loving quiet after 11" rule with them. Eventually I even stuck felt in the door frame to muffle the door sound.

Today, I got a text from them saying how they were awoken from sleep at 4AM from a slamming toilet seat and how this was the last straw. I know this is 100% bullshit/not us because I was dead asleep at 12AM, the earliest I've slept in months. They just know it's us because they are otherwise surrounded by female tenants, and I'm the only dude so it must be our fault. When I slept at that time I even thought to myself "they can't complain about us this time" because it was so early :psyduck:

So what can be done? I feel like a good portion of the noise may have come from us before, but now every little thing is pinned on us. We've cut down our talking volumes, TV volumes, close the doors quietly, etc. I know that we are abnormally nocturnal people, but we really try our best and it still doesn't work :smith:.

It's our apartment and we pay rent, we are not going to stop letting our friends over or change our schedules for them. How do you deal with an overly sensitive neighbor?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is crazy, but can you tell them it's not you and you hear it too??

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Your problem is that the neighbors picked you out as being the noisy people, and so now any time they hear anything they are going to blame it on you even if it wasn't you. There is nothing you can do about this, short of leaving the apartment for a month so you can spring some sort of gotcha 'I wasn't here at all' on them. Generally when you reach this point there is going to be too much animosity in the relationship to really hope for more than a frosty truce.

Are you getting complaints just from them, or from the landlord/management? Your relationship with another tenant is purely a courtesy, they can't do anything to you unless they get the landlord to go along with it. Otherwise the only thing they can do is make an appeal to whatever local noise or nuisance ordinances your community might have.

Complaints about having people over at 4am are reasonable. Complaints about your toilet seat are not. If you feel like, it you can talk to your neighbor and say something like 'We are working really hard to try and keep our noise down - here are the things we are doing. But not all the noise you hear is us, and we can't live in an apartment in total silence. We are doing everything we reasonably can do, we hope it helps'.

You can only appease people with reasonable expectations. If someone has a legitimate complaint, ok, work with them. But at a certain point you have to say 'sorry, we live here, and if people living next to you is too noisy you need to take some action yourself because I'm not renting this apartment to not use it'.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Anne Whateley posted:

This is crazy, but can you tell them it's not you and you hear it too??

We did that for a few months until they responded "It's 100% you" and now that's a fact, apparently.

Ashcans posted:

Your problem is that the neighbors picked you out as being the noisy people, and so now any time they hear anything they are going to blame it on you even if it wasn't you. There is nothing you can do about this, short of leaving the apartment for a month so you can spring some sort of gotcha 'I wasn't here at all' on them. Generally when you reach this point there is going to be too much animosity in the relationship to really hope for more than a frosty truce.

Are you getting complaints just from them, or from the landlord/management? Your relationship with another tenant is purely a courtesy, they can't do anything to you unless they get the landlord to go along with it. Otherwise the only thing they can do is make an appeal to whatever local noise or nuisance ordinances your community might have.

Complaints about having people over at 4am are reasonable. Complaints about your toilet seat are not. If you feel like, it you can talk to your neighbor and say something like 'We are working really hard to try and keep our noise down - here are the things we are doing. But not all the noise you hear is us, and we can't live in an apartment in total silence. We are doing everything we reasonably can do, we hope it helps'.

You can only appease people with reasonable expectations. If someone has a legitimate complaint, ok, work with them. But at a certain point you have to say 'sorry, we live here, and if people living next to you is too noisy you need to take some action yourself because I'm not renting this apartment to not use it'.

Just them at the moment, but they are threatening to go to the management next time it happens. I'm going to visit the management after work and tell them about the situation. It's mostly positive for me if something does come out of it, because I've conclusively done stuff preemptively and actively to mitigate noise.

Now I think about it, the first complaint we ever got about noise was when we first started moving things in, and they made a big deal about noise at night when we actually hadn't stayed there the night before... I guess that says a lot about them. Thanks for this advice though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Logikv9 posted:

We did that for a few months until they responded "It's 100% you" and now that's a fact, apparently.

Just them at the moment, but they are threatening to go to the management next time it happens. I'm going to visit the management after work and tell them about the situation. It's mostly positive for me if something does come out of it, because I've conclusively done stuff preemptively and actively to mitigate noise.

Now I think about it, the first complaint we ever got about noise was when we first started moving things in, and they made a big deal about noise at night when we actually hadn't stayed there the night before... I guess that says a lot about them. Thanks for this advice though.

Just let management know. They can't kick you out based on the word of another resident. They will need some sort of objective/3rd party proof. While they could feasibly non-renew you when your lease came up because of it (generally they don't need a reason to non-renew someone), they may also be inclined to non-renew the people who constantly make baseless complaints. Continue to pay your rent on time and be a good neighbor otherwise.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I think you're making it too complicated. Talking to management is a good call. Here's what I'd say:

- 2F keeps harassing us about making noise
- it's not us, we hear the noise too
- sometimes they even complain about nights when we aren't home

Management can figure out the rest. You don't have to get into when you started being quiet, or exactly what you've done, or whether toilet seats are a reasonable noise, or any of the other details. They're bugging you, it's definitely not you, the end.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

Sup guys, I need some more noise advice.
... How do you deal with an overly sensitive neighbor?

You should ask them why they think it's you and then when they say it's because every female human is a demure churchmouse who doesn't use the toilet you can call them sexist and kick them in the nuts. Then complain at them for yelling so loudly.

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I think you're making it too complicated. Talking to management is a good call. Here's what I'd say:

- 2F keeps harassing us about making noise
- it's not us, we hear the noise too
- sometimes they even complain about nights when we aren't home

Management can figure out the rest. You don't have to get into when you started being quiet, or exactly what you've done, or whether toilet seats are a reasonable noise, or any of the other details. They're bugging you, it's definitely not you, the end.

this though

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You've received some really good advice here.

I'd just add that it's harder to dislike someone you know in person. Answer all their texts with a friendly knock at the door. I think it's easier to be believable ("it wasn't me") in person.

At the point where they start being unreasonable ("it's 100% you"), I'd pretty much be done with it.

For what it's worth, I would not pro-actively go to the management until you hear something from the management.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Thanks for all the advice guys. It definitely helped me out.

photomikey posted:

You've received some really good advice here.

I'd just add that it's harder to dislike someone you know in person. Answer all their texts with a friendly knock at the door. I think it's easier to be believable ("it wasn't me") in person.

At the point where they start being unreasonable ("it's 100% you"), I'd pretty much be done with it.

For what it's worth, I would not pro-actively go to the management until you hear something from the management.

Unfortunately I already went to the management before you posted this :smith: It was an eventful conversation I think, he basically just said to keep everything logged and written down just in case things escalate.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any tips on how to make a long cross-country drive (moving from Tampa bay area to Las Vegas...) more tolerable when both parties involved hate driving super long distances? My ideas so far re slowing the pace of the drive down, hitting up some cool restaurants / attractions on the way, and making the whole thing more of a long, lazy road trip are in direct conflict with our desire to just be done with the whole journey ASAP.

We'd just say 'gently caress it' and fly, but that would mean having to ship our car, which is both expensive ($950 at minimum) and seriously difficult (read: almost impossible) to set up in the next couple weeks because of the holiday. The car's a paid off 10-yr old hyundai in eh condition, so I've considered selling it, but needing to buy another car at the other end would stretch us a little more than I'm comfortable with. Someone save us from this 2400 mile drive :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Break it up into smaller chunks. Say day 1 we're going to drive from city A to city B, day 2 we're going from city B to city C, day 3 city C to city D. You'll burn out if you try to be road warriors and only stop when you feel like you can't drive any farther. Have a plan for how far you'll get each day and stick to it. Book hotels at each stopping point in advance too, then you won't get stuck in some seedy motel because it's the only one with vacancy.

When I moved from DC to Texas my mom came with me and she'd drive in the morning, we'd stop for lunch, then I'd drive till we got to our hotel. We broke it up into two 8 hour days and one 6 hour day of driving which made it tolerable. We also booked nice hotels in each city we stopped at so we could relax comfortably every night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how much I can get away with outright not packing in advance for my 500 foot move in two weeks. This packing poo poo sucks

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how much I can get away with outright not packing in advance for my 500 foot move in two weeks. This packing poo poo sucks

When I have to move, I treat packing as a chance to get rid of a whole lot of stuff. Consider every item in terms of whether you want to put it in a box, carry that box, unpack that box, and find a space for that thing. Set aside one box for Goodwill and a bag for trash and just minimize.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I'm also in the throes of packing right now. I've got packers scheduled but the more I pack myself the less stuff the packers have to pack and the fewer hours they'll be here and the less money I have to pay them. This is my sole motivation for getting as much poo poo done as I can and also my "gently caress it" plan B for when I cannot place another item in a box without losing my mind.

I'm not touching the kitchen. The packers can do 100% of that poo poo. gently caress packing kitchens forever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm not touching the kitchen. The packers can do 100% of that poo poo. gently caress packing kitchens forever.

That is, in fact, the part I am on and when I made my post.

What even are all these things in drawers, why do I have them

I literally cannot identify half of these objects

this thing looks like a three inch diameter wok, what the hell

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Though thanks for reminding me of Goodwill, this gives me a place to get rid of my old tiny crock pot, my two (???) induction heaters, and my blender (again why do i own a blender, i hate smoothies, what the hell?)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

babydonthurtme posted:

Anyone have any tips on how to make a long cross-country drive (moving from Tampa bay area to Las Vegas...) more tolerable when both parties involved hate driving super long distances? My ideas so far re slowing the pace of the drive down, hitting up some cool restaurants / attractions on the way, and making the whole thing more of a long, lazy road trip are in direct conflict with our desire to just be done with the whole journey ASAP.

We'd just say 'gently caress it' and fly, but that would mean having to ship our car, which is both expensive ($950 at minimum) and seriously difficult (read: almost impossible) to set up in the next couple weeks because of the holiday. The car's a paid off 10-yr old hyundai in eh condition, so I've considered selling it, but needing to buy another car at the other end would stretch us a little more than I'm comfortable with. Someone save us from this 2400 mile drive :(

Tampa to Las Vegas, three 11 hour days, just rip it off like a band-aid and be done with it.

People always feel like they need to sell their 10-year-old Hyundai and then buy a 2014 on the other end. If you sell the Hyundai and then buy something similar in Vegas, you will likely come out even. If you are a decent negotiator you may even come out ahead.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Sweet Custom Van posted:

When I have to move, I treat packing as a chance to get rid of a whole lot of stuff. Consider every item in terms of whether you want to put it in a box, carry that box, unpack that box, and find a space for that thing. Set aside one box for Goodwill and a bag for trash and just minimize.

Or 5-10+ boxes and/or trash bags, as I did. Some people can rack up 20. Got rid of probably half my clothes, 80-90% of my books, and there are some shirts in my closet that I'm still liable to get rid of soon. There was also a storage space I was renting out that was relatively full of all sorts of stuff, and got rid of everything but 5 boxes of kitchen stuff, and I'll probably be getting rid of a lot of that once I start unpacking it at this house I'm moving into. At the storage complex I saw an older guy open up his unit which was jam-packed with unidentifiable masses of tchotchkes and packaging, and I just thought "never become that guy." That guy has a cancer of possessions.

We all do a little hoarding without recognizing it as such because we keep stuff out of sight and feel like there's a monetary loss of letting it sit untouched in a dump instead of in your garage, but all that stuff weighs you down, and has already served its purpose. The KonMari book showed me how to project little personalities onto objects so that I can query their "desires," and find whether the best way they can serve me is by leaving in order to make room for something else that would make me happier.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

babydonthurtme posted:

Acknowledge the fact that it's gonna suck balls and then just hammer it out. Slowing it down to a long lazy road trip will just burn more money and more time and make it suck worse.

I say to pull about 800 miles a day and turn it into a solid three day trip. Decide before you leave where you want to stop and drive that far and no more. At ~70mph you'll be driving for probably 12-13 hours a day and it'll suck. The thing here is that driving less won't make it suck less, it'll just leave you with an extra few hours at whatever place you crash at. Instead of leaving at 8 and getting to the hotel at 9, you'll leave at 8 and get there at 6 and then have nothing to loving do, so you might as well spend that extra couple hours on the road.

As for the drive itself, maybe get some audiobooks if there's something you can both agree on.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Amazon has a chat pack that has fun questions. Perfect for a road trip

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Don't drag it out into a vacation. You all know why you're in the car, stopping at a tourist trap won't really help.

However, at the same time, don't make your life hell just because you're in the car. Have real, sit down meals (no drive thrus), get up and stretch your legs every three or four hours, and have enough in-car entertainment for the entire length of the trip, if not more (so you have some choices). Drink water, don't eat too much junk.

Don't drive late into the night. If you do have to do a long day, I'm a huge fan of getting up super, monstrously early, like 4-5am. Get a coffee or three and just go. Stop at ten am and have some breakfast. Boom, five hours of driving out of the way and you just had breakfast.

In car entertainment: I recommend books on tape or podcasts, interspersed with music. Trashy books and thrillers are great: I had to do ten hours alone at one point and picked up Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter/ Thomas Harris novel) on tape - I was happy to drive just to see how it ended.

As for podcasts, I'm a big fan of Limetown - kind of a Serial, X-files type show.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ciaphas posted:

Ask my friends how much they despise me for the no pack move I subjected them too. "Grab that pile and put it wherever" sucks. We have way too much poo poo as well, and also hate organizing, but it took us a year to get unpacked, and part of that was just dumping piles of crap into the new place.

Now we've moved again and it's been a year and there's still stuff that hasn't been unpacked but at least it's in labelled boxes and not piles.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FISHMANPET posted:

Now we've moved again and it's been a year and there's still stuff that hasn't been unpacked but at least it's in labelled boxes and not piles.

If it's still packed away a year after you've moved, it's probably time to get rid of it because you clearly aren't using it.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Ask my friends how much they despise me for the no pack move I subjected them too. "Grab that pile and put it wherever" sucks. We have way too much poo poo as well, and also hate organizing, but it took us a year to get unpacked, and part of that was just dumping piles of crap into the new place.

This description is giving me anxiety.

Throw away or give away your poo poo. You clearly don't need it, you animal :ohdear:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have moved at least once a year in some fashion since 2007.

If it's still in a box the next time you move or a year after you move you don't need it. Unless it's an irreplaceable family heirloom or something, if you're on the fence about getting rid of it just get rid of it. If you find yourself needing it later just buy a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have moved at least once a year in some fashion since 2007.

If it's still in a box the next time you move or a year after you move you don't need it. Unless it's an irreplaceable family heirloom or something, if you're on the fence about getting rid of it just get rid of it. If you find yourself needing it later just buy a new one.

This. The only things that should be packed away for almost a year are holiday decorations.