Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If the story of Gwendoline begging for a role is true, then I imagine it's a case of X character having a badass design, marketing plays up character with badass design, audience disappointed by character basically just being a Moff bodyguard.

Hopefully she gets to do something more involved in the next episode, since they know people are into Phasma now.

quote:

People complain that Darth Girls wasn't up to fill Vader's shoes but the thing is he's not up to filling Vader's shoes... in-universe. When things go wrong what does Vader do? Maintain total control in his meditation chamber, maybe Force choke some bitches, that's it. Vader's wannabe in TFA loses his poo poo when things go moderately wrong, slashing up the nearest object with his lightsaber, and the reaction of the patrolling stormtroopers (one of the funniest moments IMHO) and the officer that brought him bad news seems to imply he does this often. Often enough that the crew is aware he has his... moments, shall we say. He's a padawan who never finished training, went bad, has way too much power than he knows what to do with, and it shows. It's supposed to show.

Pretty much this. He's a weird kid who wasn't raised very well by a princess-general and smuggler, who's getting mindfucked by both Luke and weird new emperor so hard that he needs to stare at the melted helmet of his grandpap for any guidance whatsoever.

He's space-Theon Greyjoy, in so much poo poo that he can't admit he's hosed

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Maz was weird in general. Like they wanted to fit in a Yoda element before Luke shows up in the next episode, but her spiel about Good vs. Evil is a bit too on-the-nose for me.

Like the tentacle beast though, she was a pretty neutral addition to the movie, and I'm not sure how much better the CGI could have been for Lumpy Grandma Bugeyes

I feel like this is specifically an element that got shortchanged. I remember the big rewrite shuffle specifically was to give the old guard more to do and Maz seems to have lost some material in the process.

I also wonder if Poe wasn't supposed to do some of the Act 2 stuff that was given to Han

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

If the story of Gwendoline begging for a role is true, then I imagine it's a case of X character having a badass design, marketing plays up character with badass design, audience disappointed by character basically just being a Moff bodyguard.

Hopefully she gets to do something more involved in the next episode, since they know people are into Phasma now.

In retrospect I was always gonna be disappointed at not enough Gwen Christie because there is never enough Gwen Christie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

In retrospect I was always gonna be disappointed at not enough Gwen Christie because there is never enough Gwen Christie.

Well, you're in luck she's confirmed for Episode VIII as well

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Mockingjay Part 2 also had GC in a scene as a military leader of some kind for two minutes then dumped her for the rest of the movie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing the rating thing is just to satisfy whiny parents, and possibly the whiny creators of other movies who would complain about special consideration being given to Star Wars. Every parent is still going to take their 7-12 year old kids to see it anyway, I'm guessing. I haven't heard anyone actually thinking twice about that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jivjov posted:

Well, you're in luck she's confirmed for Episode VIII as well

I'm glad about this, I wasn't sure she was one of the survivors.

The space monster thing nobody, including myself, seems to overly love I mentally gave a pass to simply because it was Han Solo, and the whole sequence did seem a very Han thing to do. It didn't fit amazingly though, it just told the audience things about Han and Rey that they already knew by that point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She went back to save Finn which we didn't know and then motivates him to save her later which is incredibly important !

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Disney didn't specifically argue for a PG-13 because it looks better for a blockbuster movie than a PG.

It would fit well with Fox and Lucasfilm specifically wanting Star Wars to get a PG and not a G (ironically to avoid looking like a Disney movie.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw it a 3rd time today, my 2nd IMAX 3D viewing. The magic is still there for me.

Noticed a couple things this time that I hadn't before:

- When Finn is brought back to the Resistance base at the very end, someone says "Got a heartbeat.", so he's definitely not dead. Not that I thought he was, but yeah. That just confirms that he's not.

-Is it just me or could this movie have been made at least several years ago and remained mostly if not completely intact had it had the same people work on it? It has a tried & true old-fashioned design aesthetic and nothing feels overly flashy or like it's solely dependent upon new 2015 moviemaking technology. For example, at the very end when Rey is on the island about to meet Luke, she looks back at the Falcon and Chewie roars at her. The Falcon doesn't look clean or new or perfect. It looks battle-worn, like it's been through some heavy poo poo for a long time, which it has. It just forgoes choices that most other action movies nowadays make, making it feel like something that isn't necessarily a product of 2015.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

What is the actual plot of this movie?
The plot is all about fulfilling the promises of Return of the Jedi. The Starkiller Base is secondary to all that. The drama of The Force Awakens is that things haven't really changed. There is still an Empire and still a Rebel Alliance and still a Tatooine, the names have just changed. Abrams embraces the corporate necessity of doing a soft remake of A New Hope, but never presents it as a good thing.

It's reflected in our characters as well. Han and Leia don't grow, but just return to their old lives. Luke plays at being a hermit like the old Jedi Masters before him. That's where the actual plot is found. Rey and Finn are our new heroes, but they don't fully embrace it until the film's end. Finn may not want to kill, but he still wants to live the faceless life of a stormtrooper. Rey constantly wants to return to the only home she seems to have ever known, and ignores the call to action. That's your plot really, Rey embracing who she is. Finn too.

The Starkiller is important though for thematic reasons more than plot reasons. It's Death Star-iness reminds us of the sadness of this retreading universe, but it's important to remember that it's not destroyed. It's turned into a new sun. The old is being replaced with something new and bright. That's the dramatic impact of her finding Luke. Luke training a Jedi brings the potential for new into the universe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

euphronius posted:

She went back to save Finn which we didn't know and then motivates him to save her later which is incredibly important !

If Finn had been paying attention in that scene, he'd have known that Rey is a strong black woman that don't need no man to rescue her from no death star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't notice the first time in the scene where Kylo is trying to read Rey's mind to get the fragment of the map she saw, he says "You know I can take what I want" and then he sees Rey's dream of an island in an ocean. But neither of them realize that is exactly what he wants - Luke's exact location, which Rey had dreamed of.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think it's insane that it took you three viewings to hear the heartbeat line, but, alright.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

net cafe scandal posted:

I think it's insane that it took you three viewings to hear the heartbeat line, but, alright.

Yeah, that thing was so loud in the mix its impossible to miss.

"FINNS NOT DEAD YA'LL!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really liked the photography and visual style overall, specifically the way they had red and blue as the dominant color contrast. Overall the visuals were really crisp and pretty (but then Abrams' movies all look pretty good.)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

- When Finn is brought back to the Resistance base at the very end, someone says "Got a heartbeat.", so he's definitely not dead. Not that I thought he was, but yeah. That just confirms that he's not.

I also had my 2nd view today (in the loving doghouse front section seats pls never do this to yourself) and I noticed that Finn's injury that put him out of commission was a lightsaber slash to his spine, but I am sure space healing means he won't be paralyzed or made part cyborg to make up for it maybe. :ohdear: Though the 2nd possibility is kind of cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net cafe scandal posted:

Well I've seen it at 3 different theaters now and the movie has sounded different at every theater. That line sounded clear at this theater but I guess it didn't at the other theaters which is why I missed it.

It's like when I saw Mad Max Fury Road at multiple different theaters and noticed lines of dialogue on my 2nd viewing that I hadn't heard on my 1st.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Mind elaborating on what you're talking about with Phasma?

I realize that this is some what the fault of marketing making her look like the new Boba Fett or whatever, but she gets two scenes and shes thrown into a dumpster offscreen. can you imagine if somebody preordered the 500 dollar statue or whatever of Captain Phasma and then watched this movie? Lol.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

I realize that this is some what the fault of marketing making her look like the new Boba Fett or whatever, but she gets two scenes and shes thrown into a dumpster offscreen. can you imagine if somebody preordered the 500 dollar statue or whatever of Captain Phasma and then watched this movie? Lol.
Sounds like the new Boba Fett to me.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Saw the movie yesterday, finally got through catching up in this thread (and the rest of the internet, I was in total blackout mode before seeing it).

The movie RULED. My favorite movie of the year for sure. I can't wait to see it many many more times. Sure there are gripes I have about the plot and the "science" of the movie (Star Wars is technically considered fantasy), but it's all overwhelmed by the fact that the movie was just so loving fun. All of the characters, old and new, were great.

My personal favorite line was C3PO's terrible re-introduction to Han. It was hilarious and really felt endearing and right. Made me feel like hugging a pillow in the theater. That's kinda weird, huh? Well whatever gently caress you I loved it.

edit: I bought the mp3 soundtrack on Amazon. Man is it good. At first, coming out of the movie, I was thinking that there really weren't any new themes that are memorable, but then I realized after thinking about it for a day that all of the memorable themes from the previous Star Wars entries have had anywhere from 16 to 40 years to be listened to over and over. Listening to the soundtrack now, I think Rey's theme and Kylo's theme will stick around well. The music right after the opening theme is particularly powerful.

berserker fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 21, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

net cafe scandal posted:

They get whatever they deserve.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-captain-phasma-hot-toys-902582/

Id like to sign up for the 60 dollar a month payment plan, to buy the toy of the dumbass chump General Phasma who was famously thrown in the dumpster, please.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's almost like she looks dope as gently caress and people don't really care how much screentime she actually got.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-captain-phasma-hot-toys-902582/

Id like to sign up for the 60 dollar a month payment plan, to buy the toy of the dumbass chump General Phasma who was famously thrown in the dumpster, please.

The toy still looks loving sweet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wearing shiny armor and doing absolutely nothing the entire time is pretty much Gwen Christies trademark at this point

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

jivjov posted:

Soundtrack question and comment. I seriously just cannot stop listening to the Jedi Steps track. Its amazing. But anyway, toward the end of the non-credits portion (before it segues into The Force Theme), the track suddenly goes a bit...darker. A higher horn fanfare with a lower note under it repeated a couple time. I'm reminded of bits of the Episode III soundtrack, and I'm wondering just how ominous Luke is supposed to be here...

I hear what you're talking about, I think it's supposed to add weight. It's Luke loving Skywalker, we know him but he's a living legend and the music tries to frame things from Rey's perspective. This isn't a reunion like it is for the audience, it's like if you or I were sent to tell the President it's time to stop moping and come home. Yeah, not my finest analogy.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Did Nien Nunb survive the Starkiller Base battle? I couldn't tell.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, Boyega and Ridley both surprised me, I figured they'd be good but they both did a great job.

I love Adam Driver and his lightsaber tantrums, he's clearly unbalanced and it's a great contrast the the relatively cool and collected or just plain angry dark siders we've seen in past movies

The design of the Resistance and First Order ships and installations was fantastic and Han's freighter interior looked like a homage to Aliens which worked for the scene.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

berserker posted:

The toy still looks loving sweet

Buy away, Padawan.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It was extremely cool and good that Nien Nunb was in this movie.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why are all the ships in this movie shaped like ice cream sandwiches and snickers bars and stuff. It feels like they ran a little low on creative juices after they ran out of pages in Ralph McQuarrie's old sketchbooks or whatever.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

net cafe scandal posted:

Why are all the ships in this movie shaped like ice cream sandwiches and snickers bars and stuff. It feels like they ran a little low on creative juices after they ran out of pages in Ralph McQuarrie's old sketchbooks or whatever.

A lot of the concept design work they came up with for like various other 'wing' ships really sucked, which is why I'm glad they just retreaded X-wings and Ties. Kylo's personal ship did end up working a lot better on screen than I initially thought it would.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah the shuttle looks sweet.. everything else that wasnt an OT design was kind of wack for the aforementioned reason though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nobody mentioned the biggest thing about Phasma. A female stormtrooper whose armor looks exactly the same as the males'. No CHESTplate, thank goodness.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't notice the first time in the scene where Kylo is trying to read Rey's mind to get the fragment of the map she saw, he says "You know I can take what I want" and then he sees Rey's dream of an island in an ocean. But neither of them realize that is exactly what he wants - Luke's exact location, which Rey had dreamed of.

well drat

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Nobody mentioned the biggest thing about Phasma. A female stormtrooper whose armor looks exactly the same as the males'. No CHESTplate, thank goodness.

I guess that extremely mundane detail actually is the biggest thing about Phasma considering she doesnt do anything in this movie except be utterly owned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

There was at least one other female trooper as well. Also in the same armor as the dudes.

Also, Phasma's armor is made of reclaimed hull plating from one of Sheev's naboo yachts

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

net cafe scandal posted:

Haha, true I can't argue with that. Not that it's ever stopped fanbois. Boba Fett made the Sarlacc burp and TEH FANS still made a myth out of him to point people were writing EU novels like how he totally didn't die like a bitch you guys. Actually now that I think about it, this reboot Disney did on all the EU stuff means Fett is still dead. :lol:

Supposedly Phasma is coming back for Ep 8 with a bigger part so we'll see I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DeusExMachinima posted:

Actually now that I think about it, this reboot Disney did on all the EU stuff means Fett is still dead. :lol:

Aftermath implies he survived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

net cafe scandal posted:

Buy away, Padawan.

I don't plan to buy it, it's too expensive, but that's how those large format high quality figures usually are. But it still looks sweet, can't deny that.

It's not like it's super expensive because it's Star Wars and they're trying to bilk the public or something, all figures like this are expensive.

edit: as for the Sarlacc burp, burps right after you eat aren't from digestion of that particular meal but from the meal pushing stuff around, forcing gas up, so he's totally not dead you guys, he's gonna make a cameo in Episode VIII and he'll be like 40% digested and all "kill meeeeeee" before exploding like that dude in Robocop.

berserker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread