Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

What deck was Emrakul running

Mono {c}

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man scg maybe you shouldn't show long segments of people who are bad at talking attempting to talk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Not only is Ob Nixilis hilarious in lore, but his card is really drat good. I took Dragonlord Silumgar out and one other card and replaced it with 2 Bobby Nix and he's just really hard to win through for a lot of decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My LGS is a tiny-rear end shop with like four tables for card games that starts to get a bit crowded if there's much more than a dozen people in an event. The regulars still run the full range in terms of both age and seriousness, though probably tending towards the more casual end of things most nights. Then last night at our FNM some guy apparently walked in straight off the pro circuit or some poo poo running the full tryhard Jeskai Black setup; full playset of Jace, a dozen fetches, and even foil full arts for his basics. His deck probably cost more than everyone else in the event combined, and he even played like he was on some casted Grand Prix event, right down to all habits and mannerisms people were making fun of the last page or so (everyone else is laughing it up and having a good time and he's tensed over his hand like a cornered animal while snapping his cards ceaselessly).

He ended up dropping a round to one of the better locals running some goofy Omnath ramp deck and became enormously, hilariously distressed, going into great detail about how he should never have lost a game in that matchup and browbeating himself relentlessly for his failure to take 1st place. He wasn't trying to belittle his opponents and he was correctly assessing that he lost because he made avoidable mistakes (don't tap out against a ramp deck with like 8 mana available and a full hand), but wasn't overly blessed with tact and the sheer intensity of is anguish absolutely made my night.

Then later on in the draft tournament he picked another major league deck and lost the first round against some goobery 15-year old while complaining that he was losing because the locals at our store drafted the meta wrong. I opened a Foil Dromoka in one of my prize packs and had one of the proprietors immediately buy it off me for cash at full value and getting to watch that guy melt down was still the highlight of the event.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I know someone very like that. He exhibits all the trappings of an experienced player, but then gets very mad when he loses a round at FNM. I don't know how you can play the game for so long and not realize that that's not how the game works. It's like someone trying to win at every single hand of poker.

As for your draft story, it completely boggles my mind. He is able to accurately identify an error that he has made, and then blames everyone else at the table but himself.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have actually seen that a lot. If you don't have your own card evaluation skills it's really easy to get blown up at a draft where people have an extremely skewed local meta. The shop I used to play at the most had people absolutely fighting over green dinos style decks all of the time and if you weren't prepared to run into a bunch of big green ground bozos you would lose with an otherwise reasonable deck.

There are plenty of players who just rote memorize sideboarding articles and stuff and will lose to dumb things any time someone plays off meta poo poo.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

As for your draft story, it completely boggles my mind. He is able to accurately identify an error that he has made, and then blames everyone else at the table but himself.

Plot twist: They really did draft the meta wrong.

Edit: damnit, this works less with the above comment.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 20, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My local shop has a weird combination of grinders and little kids and I have to adjust my draft strategies accordingly. When I sit next to a few kids I like to let them fight over red (and sometimes black) and cut blue hard. Absurdly late Noyan Dar, Roil Spout, Skyspawner, Drowner? poo poo yes.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I think they should make a format where the ban list is "literally every card over $10 TCG mid" and see what happens.

My friend actually invented a format like this called "Bulk Standard" where the max was $1 mid on some storefront. Sometimes he'd take the brews to FNM and still beat people's $200+ decks.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I brought jeskai black to fnm this week and went 4-0, 8-0 in games. I used 3 foil Jace and 6 expeditions. The self-loathing is real. I don't think I've ever hated myself more.

But opening a Temple Garden expedition from the first prize pack was nice.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LSV's stream, Cube:
Opening hand all artifacts including Metalworker, Staff of Domination, and Mishra's Workshop
Turn 1, play Workshop, tap, turn passed due to F8 bug
Turn 2, play Metalworker, opponent taps out to play Baleful Strix
Turn 3, play Staff, go off with infinite mana, play Sundering Titan, blow up opponent's lands, draw a bunch of cards, play a few more spells like Inkwell Leviathan, play Mindslaver, activate Mindslaver

In response, opponent cast Brain Freeze off of mana floated when Sundering Titan came down and won. LSV figuring out how to file for reimbursement because he should have won on turn 2.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
That's incredible

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Witnessed it. Totally sucks, but also why I only F8 in commander games.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ah, the ol' 2+-year-old F8 Workshop bug that somehow still hasn't been fixed. Never change, MTGO (I know you won't.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Not to excuse MODO, but why didn't he just move to combat after dropping titan?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Not to excuse MODO, but why didn't he just move to combat after dropping titan?

He was too excited about getting to draw as many cards as he wanted

it's lsv, after all

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

UberJew posted:

He was too excited about getting to draw as many cards as he wanted

it's lsv, after all

I have a friend who regularly loses games because he durdles around with poo poo like trying to draw his whole deck with Prime Speaker.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

So I came in second at a local draft and got 3 packs. The last pack had an expedition scalding tarn. Do I:

A) sell it on eBay
B) hold onto it
C) light it on fire as an offering to the magic gods for topdeck blessings
D) put it in a lovely standard deck and casually play it in the next tournament

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
D, but make sure you dont sleeve it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
D but also throw the deck in the garbage after you're done like I had an opponent do in the semis of a Modern tourney (it was a proxy event and his deck was 100% proxy)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Obvious answer is B, but the funny answer is D. If you do that, you should sleeve it and say, "Whoops, my mistake! My standard legal fetch is right behind it in the sleeve." Then pull out the Tarn to reveal this guy. That's the real pro strat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I know it's petty but it drives me crazy that Matthias Hunt is entirely incapable of ever just looking straight at the camera. He's always sitting at some weird angle and i don't know why.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

swampcow posted:

So I came in second at a local draft and got 3 packs. The last pack had an expedition scalding tarn. Do I:

A) sell it on eBay
B) hold onto it
C) light it on fire as an offering to the magic gods for topdeck blessings
D) put it in a lovely standard deck and casually play it in the next tournament

wait until bfz rotates before you sell it, unless you need the coke now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I know it's petty but it drives me crazy that Matthias Hunt is entirely incapable of ever just looking straight at the camera. He's always sitting at some weird angle and i don't know why.

i stopped watching that when i saw it was standard, having that as top 8 instead of legacy is dumb

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Does anyone else miss Cedric just streaming solo?

He was so fun to watch. Just sitting there chill as gently caress playing Tron while singing Paramore songs like no one was watching.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Does anyone else miss Cedric just streaming solo?

He was so fun to watch. Just sitting there chill as gently caress playing Tron while singing Paramore songs like no one was watching.

no because he banned me for drunkposting in his chat

Alaan
May 24, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

i stopped watching that when i saw it was standard, having that as top 8 instead of legacy is dumb

It's actually kind of weird. The finals are multi format. Started in Standard, did one match of that, moving to another format of...some players choice didn't catch who. It could end there or it could go a third format if they tie one match each at that point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alaan posted:

It's actually kind of weird. The finals are multi format. Started in Standard, did one match of that, moving to another format of...some players choice didn't catch who. It could end there or it could go a third format if they tie one match each at that point.

that's really weird and doesn't make much sense to me but i guess it means i can watch it without feeling bored out my mind

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Jim Davis ultimating Ugin, drawing Emrakul, hardcasting Emrakul (instead of putting it into play via the ultimate) to win the SCG Players' Championship

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Devor posted:

Jim Davis ultimating Ugin, drawing Emrakul, hardcasting Emrakul (instead of putting it into play via the ultimate) to win the SCG Players' Championship

In a world where Slow Play was actually called, Jim Davis would be serving a lengthy DCI suspension. Instead, he is your SCG 2015 Players' Champion. Congratulations, Jim Davis.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Niton posted:

In a world where Slow Play was actually called, Jim Davis would be serving a lengthy DCI suspension. Instead, he is your SCG 2015 Players' Champion. Congratulations, Jim Davis.

was that a slowplay joke from Cedric when he said "take as much TIME as you need"

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Terrible Horse posted:

was that a slowplay joke from Cedric when he said "take as much TIME as you need"

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

e:

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Niton posted:

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

Lol that's funny. Pat Sullivan getting a little choked up there!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

e:

Pretty sure he also wrote the response to the "Why the MTG community is unhelpful at best to making female players feel welcome" that was so bad it was taken down quickly and Cedic wrote an apology article to replace it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

bhsman posted:

Pretty sure he also wrote the response to the "Why the MTG community is unhelpful at best to making female players feel welcome" that was so bad it was taken down quickly and Cedic wrote an apology article to replace it.

He hasn't done his own comic strip in years, either.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

kizudarake posted:

He hasn't done his own comic strip in years, either.

Yeah, but after today, he's the fat cat now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Niton posted:

e:

That's just disgusting.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Well I'm all registered for GP Vancouver, Jesus Christ that was pricey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

bhsman posted:

Yup. Dude's a scumbag.

• Locked thread