Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

weed makes people weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I guess they're public anyway but you forgot to make one of those weird Electromagnetic Shift posts anonymous

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

The Saddest Rhino posted:

weed makes people weird

Counterpoint: Not weed is worse. It should be noted that stonersloth.com is an apparently quite famous weed store, they somehow missed that when coming up with stonersloth.com.au

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Less bickering and more content please!

If you haven't already come across this, please enjoy a very awkward anti-marijuana campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rHm8GbTHyE
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/20/stoner-sloth-anti-drug-campaign-gets-reality-check-as-medical-experts-walk-away

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

weed makes people weird

Also seems to not want to make you wear a shirt.

http://i.imgur.com/FAWwY61.jpg

That black guy in the background is thinking "WTF white people" but the white guy behind him is thinking "I want to leave my wife for that"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

twistedmentat posted:

It all comes down to nerds filling their lives with media and defining themselves by the media they consume, and therefor attacks of their favorite movies and games and whatnot becomes a personal attack.

There's also an element of them being unable to accept their favorite things can have flaws. I love FF5 to death but the entire Berserker class is a horrible trap, as one example. But I understand and accept that and find the game's strengths to be far greater than its weaknesses.

But, like, take the response to Twilight Princess getting an 8.8/10 review.

This was before release. None of the people ranting here have played the game. It's not enough that it's good because it's a Zelda game and it therefore must be perfect by default. Part of it is straight up bigotry, but part of the vitriol is in part that mentality.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This was before release. None of the people ranting here have played the game. It's not enough that it's good because it's a Zelda game and it therefore must be perfect by default. Part of it is straight up bigotry, but part of the vitriol is in part that mentality.

What's funny is that in hindsight, an 8.8 was way too generous.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

This is what I felt like happened to me when I told my friends that I'd grade the new Star Wars movie a "B".

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

There are certainly a aspect of damned if you do damned if you don;t when it comes to diversity in nerd stuff. If you don't include any POC or women or any other under represented groups, you'll hear about it. If you do add them, people will criticize you for stereotyping or not representing them correctly. There's also the problem of getting "you included women and people of colour, but where are the LBGQT people????????" type comments.

This is essentially what The Mary Sue has boiled down to (yet Supergirl still gets a weekly glowing pass). That and the occasional article complaining extensively about such and such media, written by someone who opening admits to never watching/reading/playing said media. Can't even hate read that site anymore.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This guy I vaguely know is always liking relatively wanky posts about astrology. For context, I live in the Southern Hemisphere in case you were wondering why they are rambling about the summer solstice.

What the gently caress is that poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sarcopenia posted:

Because representation matters. I remember reading Harry Potter as a young child and being really bummed out when I found out Hermione wasn't a mixed girl like myself, because that was what I enthusiastically had made my brain think she was. :(
I don't see how this relates to what I said. :confused:

Sarcopenia posted:

It's also hosed up for someone like J.K. Rowling who's really into names having meaning to them to just plop a Korean name onto a Chinese girl.
I'm no expert, but from a quick Google it seems like "Cho Chang" is a fairly plausible name for a Chinese girl? This article says that there is a Chinese girls' name pronounced "Cho" but usually spelled "Qiu". The author of that article doesn't seem to have thought that was the right explanation for it, but it seems to make sense to me. Her parents probably wanted to call her Qiu but also not have everyone mispronounce it all her life. :shrug:

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Tiggum posted:

I don't see how this relates to what I said. :confused:

I'm no expert, but from a quick Google it seems like "Cho Chang" is a fairly plausible name for a Chinese girl? This article says that there is a Chinese girls' name pronounced "Cho" but usually spelled "Qiu". The author of that article doesn't seem to have thought that was the right explanation for it, but it seems to make sense to me. Her parents probably wanted to call her Qiu but also not have everyone mispronounce it all her life. :shrug:

Yes, that is probably what the fictional parents of a fictional child did outside of the fictional story.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gross Dude posted:

Yes, that is probably what the fictional parents of a fictional child did outside of the fictional story.

Glad we agree.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's also an element of them being unable to accept their favorite things can have flaws. I love FF5 to death but the entire Berserker class is a horrible trap, as one example. But I understand and accept that and find the game's strengths to be far greater than its weaknesses.

But, like, take the response to Twilight Princess getting an 8.8/10 review.

Oh jesus gently caress. Hardcore classic gaming fans are the WORST. It's fine to be into old school games, but being this obsessed with them is so loving delusional. These types always seem to be the kind of people who build elaborate fantasies around these games the suit their own insecurities and desires. Look at Sonic Fandom, its the most batshit insane thing out there. Someone who's really into Sonic is someone I'll avoid like the plague. Zelda fans can be a little saner, but yea, Zelda is the best game series ever and therefor every game must be the best games ever.

What ever is it that makes people nuts over them must also be the kind of people who are into creepypasta's because almost all the big gaming ones are about these kinds of games.

into the void posted:

This is essentially what The Mary Sue has boiled down to (yet Supergirl still gets a weekly glowing pass). That and the occasional article complaining extensively about such and such media, written by someone who opening admits to never watching/reading/playing said media. Can't even hate read that site anymore.

Paraphrase someone I know on Twitter.
"Rey is not a mary sue, she's a man writing his fantasy without considering what a woman's fantasy might be"
Uh, considering women are generally loving Rey in TFW, I don't think saying that Rey is just a male fantasy is representative of what women think.

But yea, there's an aspect of social justice that is problematic, where if you address one thing, you need to address everything. And if you write anything that may not fit someones perfect image of how that kind of person should be, you'll get hell. Obviously a professional will just look at those criticisms and either ignore them because they're silly, or if they want to risk it, engage with these people and try to find out what they can do to improve it. Though that is met sometimes with "I'm not here to educate you" which means the person was complaining for complaining sake. If you want to see real change, you have to put some effort into it.

My friend is married to a woman who's family name is Cho, and they're from Taiwan. I have another friend who's mother's name is Cho, and they're from Hong Kong. So Cho is a reasonable name for a people from Chinese ancestry.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Cumslut1895 posted:

some were mad when Cho Chang was chinese

oldpainless posted:

That was actually the sound JK Rowling made when she signed her newest book and movie deals.

Two pages back but godDAMN

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The worst part of image macros and reaction images are people who are repurposing them in incomprehensible ways.

Like, the angel is supposed to be calm and composed to contrast with the upset yelling person, since the angel's response is a simple "okay." But here the message has an all-caps swear word, defeating the purpose.

Also it's redrawn like poo poo but that goes without saying.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

To be fair, there is a moderate geomagnetic storm on Earth right now, the Northern Lights up here have been intense. Maybe CME ejections make some people go crazy.

These both showed up on my feed within minutes of each other

The actual time posted between the two is two days. And of course they cut off the original artist's name.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I don't even understand what I'm supposed to be looking for?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Gross Dude posted:

I don't even understand what I'm supposed to be looking for?

A panda, though they don't tell you that for some reason

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

yo let's make something meant to be mildly funny to be loving hateful instead

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Oh jesus gently caress. Hardcore classic gaming fans are the WORST. It's fine to be into old school games, but being this obsessed with them is so loving delusional. These types always seem to be the kind of people who build elaborate fantasies around these games the suit their own insecurities and desires. Look at Sonic Fandom, its the most batshit insane thing out there. Someone who's really into Sonic is someone I'll avoid like the plague. Zelda fans can be a little saner, but yea, Zelda is the best game series ever and therefor every game must be the best games ever.

I remember a few years back the magazine Game Informer asked one of the employees at Bungie what their hypothetical Zelda game would be. He said that he would cut down on exploration and environmental puzzles and focus more on combat, but make each fight more like a puzzle. This resulted in someone sending the magazine a huge rant about how Zelda was for "thinking gamers" and Halo players were "subnormals". Ironically, this was back when the latest zelda game was Twilight Princess, which had way too many stupid and obtuse switch puzzles.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Vladimir Poutine posted:

A panda, though they don't tell you that for some reason

I'm an rear end in a top hat and cropped it off :unsmigghh:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

This is something 14 year old edgelord me would have written. Based on experience, I can confidently say he smugly congratulated himself for "completely destroying her mentally and emotionally" after he posted the comment and again for each subsequent response.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Lmao, how do you project that hard? There's nothing to be gained from that picture that makes me go "yeah, she's definitely older than college age but still drinks to excess all the time (which is apparently normal in college to this guy outside of movies about college where people blackout every weekend at parties?) and she definitely has a lot of sex, which is bad." I guess this is what happens when you make an Internet game out of a style of comedy that is meant to be ribbing among people who actually know each other.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I guess this is what happens when you make an Internet game out of a style of comedy that is meant to be ribbing among people who actually know each other.

I blame Comedy Central, their "roasts" are mostly awful and unfunny for the same reason.

The William Shatner one is the best one I ever saw, mostly because it had all the other star trek actors come in and give him poo poo.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

this last one is apparently a genuine neo nazi twitter which also happens to be real mad at star wars

I love that in order to achieve this they have to miss out the Black doctor and include someone who was literally in 5 episodes, someone else who was only ever credited as a guest and a 3rd who was in less than half of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and that's why I think the poem and it's critiques aren't aimed at Rowling herself but leagues of people who still use Harry Potter as an example for everything. Like, J.K. Rowling says Donald Trump is worse than Voldemort (I don't know how because he hasn't killed anybody yet and they both lead a bunch of angry racists) and it's big news.

Well y'see one is a fictional character who can cause you, an existing person, about as much harm as the Boogeyman or Bloody Mary, while the other is a Fascist who will more than not open up hunting season on blacks, gays, Muslims, transgender people- whoever the scary Other of the day is.

Actual terrible human beings beat awful fictional characters always because they can cause actual harm to people that the people who don't exist cannot.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Enourmo posted:

The William Shatner one is the best one I ever saw, mostly because it had all the other star trek actors come in and give him poo poo.
"Ta-kay"; it rhymes with "toupee"
(I don't remember the exact wording.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

into the void posted:

The worst thing that I ever read along these lines was a Slate editorial interview/dialogue complaining about.... something which I can't remember right now and it's driving me nuts because it was something I like and I only like three things. The argument was like "sure, the women are represnted well, and the people of colour, and the gay characters, but what about the trans characters? How does this help them? This show is bullshit." And I just wanted to reach through my screen and throttle them for just being useless critics.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Arguing for better representation of trans-people isn't bad thing. But doing it on the expense of other minorities is just petty. When did it become a competition to see who is the biggest victim?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Since internet slacktivism became a thing.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Arguing for better representation of trans-people isn't bad thing. But doing it on the expense of other minorities is just petty. When did it become a competition to see who is the biggest victim?

When it became a form of social currency to point out "problematic" poo poo. Same reason there's a bunch of "asexual heteroromantic" douches making GBS threads on gay people because they don't consider "wants to date the opposite sex but doesn't want to gently caress 'em" to count for admission under "the Queer Umbrella."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah it wasn't so much that which pissed me off, it was just being a petty thing overall. I wish I could remember the article - it boiled down to saying "the show is good, but we would like it better if the show was an entirely different show. (insert 300 words of making GBS threads all over it and denouncing it as literally hitler)"

I'll spend another 5-6 minutes looking for it.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 15:48 on Dec 21, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Ron isn't even ginger omg

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dudley posted:

I love that in order to achieve this they have to miss out the Black doctor and include someone who was literally in 5 episodes, someone else who was only ever credited as a guest and a 3rd who was in less than half of it.

That's just a promotional image from Comic-Con where they had the 20-year reunion. Richard Biggs isn't included because, well, he didn't survive to the 20th anniversary (which is why Andreas Katsulas isn't there either).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Not enough to put it on the cover of a book or a movie, but enough to make herself relevant on Twitter from time to time. Snape is trans! Neville is asexual! What else?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

into the void posted:

If you have a martian you get a pass on asians and LGBT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This guy I vaguely know is always liking relatively wanky posts about astrology. For context, I live in the Southern Hemisphere in case you were wondering why they are rambling about the summer solstice.

This guy and my "NASA are a materialist sun-cult" guy shoukd meet.