Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Not the football thread .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Man cut Murray Jesus Christ of he can't even get on the court
I dunno, if he gets more training in episode 8 I think we might see Murray display some real power in the Force.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Snoke is Boba Fett all burned up from Sarlacc stomach acid.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't notice the first time in the scene where Kylo is trying to read Rey's mind to get the fragment of the map she saw, he says "You know I can take what I want" and then he sees Rey's dream of an island in an ocean. But neither of them realize that is exactly what he wants - Luke's exact location, which Rey had dreamed of.

:aaaaa:

good catch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

This would be hilarious if true.

Snoke: Did you kill Han Solo,?

Ren: Yes. I did. Now I can finally complete my training and fully submit myself to the darkside without his prese-

Snoke: Mission complete! Yey!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

Snoke is Tarkin all burned up from Death Star explosions.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

kiimo posted:

I came back to this thread and there were 15 new pages.

I am seeing this today finally and then I guess going back fifty pages to read all the spoil messages but has anybody brought up yet just how bizarre Boyega's legs are?

He has an odd saddlebags thing going on. It's all I can stare at whenever I see him.

Do he got a booty?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You all laugh now, but wait until phasma emerges from the trash compactor with mace windu's lightsaber and plans for an ancient sith death star, its amazing what naboobians throw away these days!

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

-Is it just me or could this movie have been made at least several years ago and remained mostly if not completely intact had it had the same people work on it? It has a tried & true old-fashioned design aesthetic and nothing feels overly flashy or like it's solely dependent upon new 2015 moviemaking technology. For example, at the very end when Rey is on the island about to meet Luke, she looks back at the Falcon and Chewie roars at her. The Falcon doesn't look clean or new or perfect. It looks battle-worn, like it's been through some heavy poo poo for a long time, which it has. It just forgoes choices that most other action movies nowadays make, making it feel like something that isn't necessarily a product of 2015.

I was so pleasantly suprised that the Rey/Ren saber duel wasn't some video game kung fu thing, but an honest to god fight. It reminds me alot of the new mad max in the way it ignores the conventions of 2010 blockbuster making.

I mean I heard JJ abrams saying he wanted to make a old school star wars over and over again but I still couldn't believe it until I finally saw the movie.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So I think Fin must be force sensitive. Notice the faint cries in the scene where he notices the four planets being destroyed, and how he seems much more effected by it then Rey was?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Does anyone know about D-box for this movie, is it fun? Never been to a D-box showing but I noticed that not all the IMAX showings here were sold out today, but all the D-box ones were. D-box costs $2 more and we're in poorsville so I was pretty surprised.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Don't you hate it when you wait 30 years for a movie, and then when you go to see it, the lady sitting next to you is one of those people who somehow made it to middle-age having never learned that you're not supposed to vocalize every thought that enters your brain in a theater?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TerminalSaint posted:

Don't you hate it when you wait 30 years for a movie, and then when you go to see it, the lady sitting next to you is one of those people who somehow made it to middle-age having never learned that you're not supposed to vocalize every thought that enters your brain in a theater?

Did you try asking her to be quiet?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

turtlecrunch posted:

Does anyone know about D-box for this movie, is it fun? Never been to a D-box showing but I noticed that not all the IMAX showings here were sold out today, but all the D-box ones were. D-box costs $2 more and we're in poorsville so I was pretty surprised.

There were some in the theater I saw it in. From what I can tell there's just a shitton of rumble during certain scenes, like when Poe Dameron is in his X-Wing shooting at Stormtroopers.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cnut the Great posted:

Did you try asking her to be quiet?

You expect someone who's waited 30 years for a Star Wars film to have the social skills necessary for that?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

e: not the football thread

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 21, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I saw this today and liked it. I really enjoyed Finn's characterization. At first I thought it would be offputting that he was so quirky, ready to cheer/joke and be kinda weird, but really, someone conscripted and raised in a super constrained social setting would probably be exactly that when encountering "real people" for the first time. I expected a dark, brooding PTSD guy, but he was popping off grins and sneering that they did, in fact, have a garbage compactor and I loved it.

I liked it, I felt like Starkiller was a step too far towards ANH, but hopefully now that they've laid out a good, familiar, sound foundation, we can get to more original ideas. There's certainly gonna be more than enough chances since we're getting one of these a year from now until forever (and I am A-Okay with that).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

More theaters should adopt the Drafthouse model.

I was generous because of course some guys are gonna be geeking out but it's nice to know that you can complain if folks ams beings dildos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Monocled Falcon posted:

So I think Fin must be force sensitive. Notice the faint cries in the scene where he notices the four planets being destroyed, and how he seems much more effected by it then Rey was?

We're a minority, those of us who think Finn is Force sensitive. Opening night I was like 99% sure Finn was Force sensitive, but after my second screening I've got my doubts.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

teagone posted:

We're a minority, those of us who think Finn is Force sensitive. Opening night I was like 99% sure Finn was Force sensitive, but after my second screening I've got my doubts.

I really hope he isn't. I can only handle so many lightsaber wielding, star-crossed protagonists. Let's keep our heroes a little more human and a little less space-magic, please.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Finn is like Leia in the OT- not quite "future Jedi" but gets tuned in to the Force a bit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
With a title like "The Force Awakens", I was kinda expecting to see more Force Sensitives than we got I think it would be an interesting concept if Rey, Poe, and Finn are all Force Sensitive, but Rey is the only one that goes on to train and develop her powers. Finn is sensitive, but maybe not gifted enough to make much of himself as a Jedi, and Poe only has a tiny knack for it? I dunno, just a thought

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Zodack posted:

Let's keep our heroes a little more human and a little less space-magic, please.

Star Wars loving invented Star Magic and Ghost Teachers, next you'll complain about Laser Sword Mechanics

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I don't think Finn is/will be Force sensitive. The woman is the lightsaber swinging hero this time, and that's neat.

I don't know what he ends up being though. Poe is the rogueish pilot, Rey is the Jedi (and flies too), I think Finn has the most blank slate going into Ep. 8. He's not a Jedi, he ain't a pilot, but he's fine at shooting things, though. Maybe he'll step into more of a soldier role just with the Resistance instead of the First Order.

Or maybe he actually is paralyzed after his fight with Kylo and he becomes some sort of tactician like Leia in ANH and ESB? :shrug:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

With a title like "The Force Awakens", I was kinda expecting to see more Force Sensitives than we got I think it would be an interesting concept if Rey, Poe, and Finn are all Force Sensitive, but Rey is the only one that goes on to train and develop her powers. Finn is sensitive, but maybe not gifted enough to make much of himself as a Jedi, and Poe only has a tiny knack for it? I dunno, just a thought

TG-Chrono posted:

Star Wars loving invented Star Magic and Ghost Teachers, next you'll complain about Laser Sword Mechanics

Don't get me wrong, I love a good Jedi, but we don't need every single character to have space magic powers to make them good or cool. A good example? Han Solo. I love Rey being Force-sensitive and the next generation of Jedi. I do not want the entire new cast of TFA to have some kind of clairvoyance, or other power. One strong Force user is enough because I want to enjoy the other characters for different reasons

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

I don't know if it's true that Rey and Finn are going to end up a couple, but if they have kids together, I'm assuming it'll be like a Leia/Han situation where one parent is Force sensitive through lineage and the other isn't but their kids are. Then again, that might not be how all genes work in the Star Wars universe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zodack posted:

I really hope he isn't. I can only handle so many lightsaber wielding, star-crossed protagonists. Let's keep our heroes a little more human and a little less space-magic, please.
Booo. Boooooo.
Besides which, they explicitly have the little wizened goblin character say "I am no Jedi, but I know the Force," and clearly actually have some sensory connection. They opened the gate. Force for everyone!!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yeah, they should have spent more time focused on the X wing pilots or some of the other cool characters. Although I'm guessing that the sequences that felt out of place were probably shoved in to sell toys; it's like all the crazy poo poo in Jurassic World that made no sense for the film but probably made tens millions from merchandising.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

One thing I liked about Rey was how she started developing weird psychic powers while captured and she decided to just roll with it, and it was only when Kylo Ren was trying to get her to stand down that she realized "Oh, right, the Force."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

One thing I liked about Rey was how she started developing weird psychic powers while captured and she decided to just roll with it, and it was only when Kylo Ren was trying to get her to stand down that she realized "Oh, right, the Force."

I like that it's like "Oh poo poo, the Force is real? And I can, you know, use it maybe? Guess I'll try some of these things I heard about in nursery rhymes and fairy tales and oh wow this guy really is letting me go I can't believe that worked." The Force really does feel more like mysticism again. There's maybe three dudes in the entire galaxy who knows what it is, but now it's waking up and people are gonna start finding it out for themselves.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

jivjov posted:

I agree with this, in so far as the story gives a reason why we didn't go into the movie with the next generation of Jedi already established. Ben Solo wiping out the first group of students explains that the process started soon after RotJ and failed. It also then allows gives an excuse why after 30 years, we would finally see the students which "stick" and officially become the next generation.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nessus posted:

Booo. Boooooo.
Besides which, they explicitly have the little wizened goblin character say "I am no Jedi, but I know the Force," and clearly actually have some sensory connection. They opened the gate. Force for everyone!!

I read that as more like her saying "I have no talent with the Force, but I've been around enough to understand the way it works."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bargearse posted:

I read that as more like her saying "I have no talent with the Force, but I've been around enough to understand the way it works."

I agree. A similar idea was introduced by Lor San Tekka, Max von Sydow's character who dies at the beginning. Apparently he's a member of some sort of Church of the Force?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Maybe Finn is force sensitive to a degree but doesn't have a high enough midichlorian count to be trained as a Jedi

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Gaz2k21 posted:

doesn't have a high enough midichlorian count

Let's hope that the new movies pretend what you just said simply doesn't exist

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zodack posted:

Let's hope that the new movies pretend what you just said simply doesn't exist

Probably, since a major (if understated) theme of the PT is how the Jedi are super dumb for using stuff like that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I kind of wish that one of the pirate gangs would have been made up of a prequel trilogy alien race, just as a minor callback gag. Like have one of them be the racist asian trade federation aliens who are basically destitute nowadays or something

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

The buttons on lightsabers always looked way too huge and cartoony. What's wrong with covered slide switches? Something more recessed would ensure there's no way of accidentally pressing it, whether upon pulling the saber out or while in use.

Then again, maybe that's just not a problem for Jedi and having quick activation is more important.

Because it's a prop in a movie JFC. (This is literally the answer. It needs big cartoony greebles because a more ergonomic design wouldn't have visible tech stuff on it. It would just look like a cheap tube of metal. Which it is. Until they put the "too huge and cartoony" greebles on it.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I could see Finn having a more passive/empathic connection with the Force, i.e., he doesn't wield the Force overtly like Rey or Ben (mind tricks, mind reading, telekinesis, etc.) but instead is more attuned to sensing the emotions of others, giving him an innate urgency to help those in need. Like, he can be good enough of a Jedi to wield a lightsaber, but he'll never be able to stop a blaster bolt mid flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

teagone posted:

I could see Finn having a more passive/empathic connection with the Force, i.e., he doesn't wield the Force overtly like Rey or Ben (mind tricks, mind reading, telekinesis, etc.) but instead is more attuned to sensing the emotions of others, giving him an innate urgency to help those in need. Like, he can be good enough of a Jedi to wield a lightsaber, but he'll never be able to stop a blaster bolt mid flight.

Isn't that just being an empathetic person?

• Locked thread