Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunno if it was in this or the other thread where someone mentioned Rey treating BB8 like a person, but another thing in that vein I liked was Poe and BB's reunion. Dude seemed genuinely happy to see his buddy ball again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Runefaust posted:

If not a clone, I have a feeling the twist will really be that she was hidden away not by people related to the light, but instead the dark side. I have a feeling she was some sort of backup plan for the Empire and just got lost out. I'm basing this solely on the fact that no one of importance thus far has recognized her or has had any interest in her EXCEPT Kylo Ren (Small hint at her interest in "the girl"). I think her being Luke's offspring is far too easy, as far as we can tell she's not the daughter of Han and Leia, and yet she seems to have an affinity with the force that comes across as if she received this affinity through genetics.

I really believe either Vader or Palpatine had a part to play in Rey. Just as Kylo was born to a family associated with the light, I believe Rey may have a background with the dark side.

Expanded theory as well: There's always been talk about "the chosen one bringing balance to the force". We all thought, at the end of the OT, Luke was that person where Anakin failed. However, that clearly has not been the case - In Luke's attempt to bring about a new age of Jedi, Kylo was born from Luke's failures. If clone / DNA magic happened and Rey was of Anakin, what if Rey is that chosen one?

Snoke also seems to know about Rey's existence to some extent as well, possibly more than he leads on. We can go with an even crazier theory - what if Darth Plagueis' quest for immortality didn't end with his death at the hands of Palpatine, but instead he is reincarnated through force mumbo jumbo as Rey?

Wow, I feel so much better about my posts after reading that zaniness. Dont' get me wrong, I like zaniness.

I like the idea of the dark side forces hiding her away, and I llike her somehow being a descendant of Kenobi too. Luke teaching his teacher's grandkid would be fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno maybe with those cool star wars gifs you can find more examples of lightsabers in low light illuminating a scene. It'll probably be in the PT though because computer graphics have come a long way since the 1980s.

No light, Same Fight

http://i.imgur.com/7eTtA6N.gifv

That's the blur by the way that they added to the Star Wars Lightsabers to give the illusion that light is being cast this was how they actually hosed up the original Star Wars in the special edition.

Original Light Saber

Special Edition Where they hosed it up

New Blu Ray where it's still kind of hosed up

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hollismason posted:

It would have to be Kenobi's grand daughter.

Yes which is why I said line and not straight up daughter, apparently in the Clone Wars cartoons Obi-Wan has a girlfriend?

Would be an interesting parallel with her being aligned against someone named after Obi-Wan whom failed to live up to his character (and his apprentice's), returning to Luke, who saw him as an adoptive father and continuing a Skywalker/Kenobi cycle, 'first steps' being a line first spoken to her, first Jedi trick being the mind control, etc etc. There's a symmetry and poetry to the idea that resonates with me and I think could be really interesting.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Uhhhh, Luke, Obi, and Yoda talking about her in the vision weren't people of importance? The old lady certainly knew what was up too.

She has been recognized as being of importance to the force, but not as an actual relative of anyone in particular. They could definitely be holding out on revealing her lineage as of Skywalker decent or Kenobi, but the only lines spoken hinting at a familial relation to the Skywalker family was made in TFA trailers, not in the actual movie itself. If Luke was her father, I'd be shocked that at least Leia would have missed her connection to Rey and that it was never hinted that Leia felt a connection to her in TFA.

My impression has been that no one character, in particular, has been calling out to her. Instead, all of the heavy hitter Jedi key players feel her existence as the force calls out to her.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

No light, Same Fight

http://i.imgur.com/7eTtA6N.gifv

That's the blur by the way that they added to the Star Wars Lightsabers to give the illusion that light is being cast this was how they actually hosed up the original Star Wars.

No I said go find more examples of lightsabers illuminating a scene.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you mean from like the original Trilogy or from the Prequels. Lightsabers do not absolutely cast light in the OT. In the Prequels it gives the illusion that they are casting light because there's this defusion effect that they use around the light saber.

Lens Flare, Light from below from "lava". Lightsaber not lighting his face. This is all through out the prequels and the OT.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 21, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

wait it was your intent to have someone else prove a negative for you?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What do you mean from like the original Trilogy or from the Prequels. Lightsabers do not absolutely cast light in the OT. In the Prequels it gives the illusion that they are casting light because there's this defusion effect that they use around the light saber.

What about the part where Anakin is going nuts with the two sabers in Clones? Is there really no lighting on him in that sequence?

Spaceman Future! posted:

wait it was your intent to have someone else prove a negative for you?

Actually, there a finite number of lightsaber shots in Star Wars. Hollismason seems to have better access to gifs than me. But instead of looking for shots like I asked, he looked for a shot that was not what I asked. The implication was that there were no shots like I asked about. But, in fact, there are a limited number of shots in Star Wars, so the "prove a negative" thing doesn't apply.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mitchicon posted:

Because Darth Plageus could control who lived or died and he's old and powerful as poo poo in TFA so it's pretty obvious who he is.

Being able to manipulate life and maybe extend it isn't the same as fixing a lightsaber hole in the chest which is the usual end game of a Sith promotion.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Wow, I feel so much better about my posts after reading that zaniness. Dont' get me wrong, I like zaniness.

I like the idea of the dark side forces hiding her away, and I llike her somehow being a descendant of Kenobi too. Luke teaching his teacher's grandkid would be fun.

I always felt it was a little wonky that "bring balance to the force" ended with Luke and the good guy Jedi basically coming out on top. To me, the best ending would be no more Jedi nor Sith left in the galaxy and the force just dropping the mic and exiting the universe stage left. I'd be completely down for an ending in which both Kylo Ren and Rey were both the last of their respective sides left, and both die I one climatic ending. That would be truly balance.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The movies not out yet so kind of hard to find examples but here is another example

Here's a article where they talk about how the Lightsabers in this film actually light up

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/10/how-custom-prop-lightsabers-changed-the-way-sabers-were-filmed-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

quote:

The actors are basically using a custom version of the Force FX lightsabers we can buy at retail. The blades were, however, optimized to give off the right amount of custom glow and illumination for each sequence’s lighting demands. They weren’t used in every sequence, but in many. This method reportedly allowed for ILM to then step in and color the lightsaber blades to look as we know them in the classic films while the lighting of the blade was naturally cast upon the actor as it would have been if the lightsaber was real and filmed on set. At other times it would allow for light reference. Another reason for the method was that it also made the actors feel like they were really holding a lightsaber, adding another level of immersion for the performers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
^^^^ Didn't the light sabers in Anakin's first duel with Dooku cast light?

TG-Chrono posted:

I heard a theory on the Full of Sith review via Neogaf that made a heap of sense. Rey is of the Kenobi line. There's a heap of 'poetry' in some of the lines they say and whatnot, but listen to Full of Sith and old mate breaks it down pretty well that I'm down with it.

Holy poo poo if Obi Wan hosed that Mandalorian lady and had a Mandalorian grandbaby Rey that would loving own.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

What about the part where Anakin is going nuts with the two sabers in Clones? Is there really no lighting on him in that sequence?

Actually, there a finite number of lightsaber shots in Star Wars. Hollismason seems to have better access to gifs than me. But instead of looking for shots like I asked, he looked for a shot that was not what I asked. The implication was that there were no shots like I asked about. But, in fact, there are a limited number of shots in Star Wars, so the "prove a negative" thing doesn't apply.

Oh drat, ok I get it, heres one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkiuAxP9vPM

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Daisy Ridley did a good job with presenting her as slightly misadjusted and wild, being more comfortable with fixing things than working in a team.

There is also her thing of clinging to Jaaku despite it being a shithole because she wanted a legit ticket home, not a wild adventure - an inversion of Luke, who wanted to get out from Tatooine from the start.

No doubt, I feel like if Daisy Ridley hadn't acted the role so well I would probably not have liked the character, it's her acting that gives the role personality than the writing. There's not a lot of substance to the character aside from what she put into it. Finn and Kylo Ren both felt well-acted AND well-written, so after dwelling on the film a little it stood out to me.

Even then I'm nitpicking, though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I want to hear more about this theory that rey is related to kenobi.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

When Anakin and Dooku fight in Clones their faces are lit up by the light of their sabers. Is that what you guys are arguing about?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Rey is 20?

Born 20 years prior to TFA -- 10 years after ROTJ.

Doesn't work for Kenobi lineage.

She'd have to be 30 + time between ANH and ROTJ assuming Kenobi's irradiated desert sperm left his still-stanky withered member minutes before his krayt dragon call.

Wait, maybe that's the origin of the jedi krayt dragon shout...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's literally a article I posted about how these sabers cast light now.

quote:

The actors are basically using a custom version of the Force FX lightsabers we can buy at retail. The blades were, however, optimized to give off the right amount of custom glow and illumination for each sequence’s lighting demands. They weren’t used in every sequence, but in many. This method reportedly allowed for ILM to then step in and color the lightsaber blades to look as we know them in the classic films while the lighting of the blade was naturally cast upon the actor as it would have been if the lightsaber was real and filmed on set. At other times it would allow for light reference. Another reason for the method was that it also made the actors feel like they were really holding a lightsaber, adding another level of immersion for the performers.

Let me dig up the interview with JJ Abrams where he also talks about it.

Again Birth the the Lightsaber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM

It explains exactly how they did the previous lightsabers.

edit:

Here's the interview with Abrams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWHpwihkZw

If that doesn't work it's at the 12:39 mark.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 21, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

Kenobi had no other family?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I like how the lightsabers aren't just smooth cylinders anymore. At least Ren's isn't. It has a plasma arc thing going on that really adds to the fear factor. I didn't notice if Luke's saber did this or not though.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Kind of off topic, but I'll be seeing his again in the next week. I went to the gf's Christmas work party prior to the midnight showing, and we drank a bit prior to seeing the movie. I was sobered up by the time we got to the theatre, but she wasn't. She ended up sleeping through the ENTIRE GODDAMN MOVIE.

She's been given a metric fuckton of poo poo about sleeping through it from all of our friends and coworkers, so she's picked up a couple of tickets for later this week.

Funny enough, the only thing she remembers is the opening, waking up a bit when HAN SOLO loving DIES, and then me waking her up at the end.

She picked one of the worst goddamn moments to wake up to.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Booties posted:

I like how the lightsabers aren't just smooth cylinders anymore. At least Ren's isn't. It has a plasma arc thing going on that really adds to the fear factor. I didn't notice if Luke's saber did this or not though.

It's only Ren's, because it's a second-rate lightsaber.
edit: also this vvv

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Booties posted:

Luke's sabre doesn't. Kylo Ren's is like that because it mirrors his emotional instability.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYw5KWTe15I

Okay, here's the scene. Clearly in the wide shots the sabers don't light the environment, but when Anakin slices the power cable and turns out the lights the sabers illuminate Dooku and Anakin. Looks like maybe it was a... PRACTICAL EFFECT. *duh duh duuuuuh*

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, here's the scene. Clearly in the wide shots the sabers don't light the environment, but when Anakin slices the power cable and turns out the lights the sabers illuminate Dooku and Anakin. Looks like maybe it was a... PRACTICAL EFFECT. *duh duh duuuuuh*

Goddamn that scene has all the energy of a Hutt taking a poo poo where he sits.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Which force ghosts are we getting in Episode 8? I'm guessing we'll get at least Yoda, Obi-Wan and Palpatine. Yoda and Obi-Wan will be with Luke and Palpatine's force ghost will lie to Kylo Ren about what Darth Vader was like

Maybe we'll get some prequel guys like Mace Windu or Qui-Gon

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Crow_Robot posted:

Hot Take.

Poe Dameron will be gay.

Why else do you think he has such a strong relationship with BB-8, his chihua-droid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZOMY2sOnE

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Luke's sabre doesn't. Kylo Ren's is like that because it mirrors his emotional instability.

Ah, that makes sense.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
First half of the movie was great. Then starkiller base fires off and it echoes a new hope way too much. The worst part is that it basically seems completely unnecessary. You've already got a reason to go there: get Rey back before she gives the map to the First Order. You don't need to make it the Death Star mk3 at all, and doing so brought down the movie, I thought.

E: I remember Luke's face being illuminated by Vader's lightsaber in one scene on Bespin (after he loses a hand?) n the VHS box set that came out before the special editions.

also, there are some goddamn gorgeous shots in this movie.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 21, 2015

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I feel that way about any scene of the PT that doesn't include Mr. McGregor trying his rear end off to do something with the crap material he was given.

On a side note: Why is it that after TFA came out, there seems to be a load of PT fans who have come out of the woodworks? I haven't seen anyone anywhere defend the PT until the last week or so.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Runefaust posted:

I feel that way about any scene of the PT that doesn't include Mr. McGregor trying his rear end off to do something with the crap material he was given.

On a side note: Why is it that after TFA came out, there seems to be a load of PT fans who have come out of the woodworks? I haven't seen anyone anywhere defend the PT until the last week or so.

You must not be very familiar with CineD Starwar threads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Obi-Wan's non-reaction to Anakin getting his arm cut off is a little amusing. As usual I think the dialog is lousy and, frankly, unnecessary to the scene. The main problem with the scene is that we don't really know who Dooku is or why he's doing any of this. He actually tried to explain it to Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan wouldn't listen and the audience just ends up confused. Another example of the movies taking an ambitious concept (Palpatine is playing both sides, Dooku is hedging his bets, and Obi-Wan is unwilling to understand certain ideas even when they're right under his nose) and fudging them with poor execution, specifically dialog that's not up to the challenge of explaining a fast-paced and complex plot that keeps introducing new characters.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Arglebargle III posted:

I always wondered why Dooku looks kinda deflated after wrecking both their shits. LIke, was he actually disappointed they didn't put up a better fight? That'd be kinda of a cool blood knight Sith aspect that of course didn't get explored.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Zeris posted:

Rey is 20?

Born 20 years prior to TFA -- 10 years after ROTJ.

She'd have to be 30 + time between ANH and ROTJ assuming Kenobi's irradiated desert sperm left his still-stanky withered member minutes before his krayt dragon call.

Wait, maybe that's the origin of the jedi krayt dragon shout...

Rey is 19 and Kylo Ren is 29-30 (according to some lucasfilm story guy on twitter)

Wich makes me realise that Kylo and Poe Dameron are the same age, likely that they grew up together.

Viller fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

spacetoaster posted:

I want to hear more about this theory that rey is related to kenobi.

There was a theory before it that Anakin had projected his force ghost into Rey which is bad and dumb. I think Force Ghosts may be consigned to the OT and that's it. Maybe Obi-Wan's ghost ectoplasm'd some poor unwilling soul. But listening through again to get more detail on the Kenobi lineage theory... Fed.NL from Neogaf pointed this out.

- Production at one point was looking for a Kenobi relation (specifically), at multiple points in production a Kenobi relative was required.
- Luke takes in Ben's offspring, watches over her, adopts her as her own and then when the whole mess with Kylo goes down, has to stash her on a backwater planet while going in exile to protect her from his failed apprentice, who destroyed the Jedi Academy.
- He doesn't look happy in seeing her again because his life is taking a repeated loop where he is now in Ben's role, he's seen it before. His failure has affected her despite his best efforts of secluding her.
- Rey's first act to Luke is to hand him his father's lightsaber, much like Obi-Wan's.
- First word spoken is in an alien language which scares away someone to save a droid.
- The first Jedi trick we see from Obi-Wan is the mind trick, same with Rey and Daniel Craig (I guess mind reading Kylo?)
- Rey's vision has Obi-Wan says her name and "These are your first steps". Obi-Wan says the same to Luke in ANH.

I like the symmetry of Master-Student over the Cousin-war seeing as Star War is so focussed on adoptive families. Anyway, I'm open to the Cousin idea, just think the Kenobi lineage has more poetry to it.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I said come in! posted:

This is from BoxOfficeMojo, and is a list of all of the records the Force Awakens currently holds:

Largest Thursday Previews: $57 million*
Previous Record: $43.5 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)

Largest Friday, Opening Day, Single Day: $120.5 million (estimated)
Previous Record: $91 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)

Domestic Opening Weekend: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)

Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $57,571 (estimate)
Previous Record: $48,855 / 4,274 theaters (Jurassic World)

Top Opening Weekend for PG-13 Rated Film: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)

Top Holiday Opening Weekend**: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $158 million (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)

Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $294.5 million
Previous Record: $266 million (June 12-14, 2015)

Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross): $294.5 million
Previous Record: $259.9 million (Dec 25-27, 2009)

December Single Day: $120.5 million (estimated)
Previous Record: $37.13 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

Widest December Opening: 4,134 theaters
Previous Record: 4,045 theaters (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

December Opening Weekend: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $84.62 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

Fastest to $100 Million: 1 Day
Previous Record: 2 Days (Jurassic World)

Global IMAX Opening Record: $48 million
Previous Record: $44.1 million (Jurassic World)

Domestic IMAX Opening Record: $30.1 million
Previous Record: $20.9 million (Jurassic World)

But will it have Avatar legs?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I saw the movie and it was good. Curious how the gently caress they'll make Kylo Ren a threatening character in the later movies when he's already lost here and it's pretty clear Rey's a lot stronger in the force than he is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

If that doesn't work it's at the 12:39 mark.

That's cool I thought you were being snarky for some reason.

Bad Moon posted:

I always wondered why Dooku looks kinda deflated after wrecking both their shits. LIke, was he actually disappointed they didn't put up a better fight? That'd be kinda of a cool blood knight Sith aspect that of course didn't get explored.

Well he says as much, and actually he doesn't lie to the heroes as far as I can remember. Dooku's underdevelopment is a problem with the movie. When people say "the lightsaber fights were bland and uninteresting" it's hard to tell what they mean because it comes out as "the lightsaber fights were bad and bad" but I think what's actually going on is that the movie has failed to characterize Dooku or make it clear why we want our heroes to prevent him from escaping. The RLM reviews pick up on this but it's lost in a feature-length diatribe that fails to distinguish between major flaws and dumb nitpicks for the uncritical viewer.

They need to prevent him from escaping to figure out the Sith plot, but Obi-Wan has already revealed the first pieces of the Sith plot and refused to believe it and Anakin is just a quivering pile of teenage angst and battle fury so the heroes are already forgetting why they got into this fight. (Which goes along perfectly with Palpatine's plans.) It's an important part of the story, since the Clone Wars are a quagmire that will break the Jedi and the Republic and it's important that the Jedi stumble into it without a clear understanding of what's happening, but it's not conveyed very clearly by that fight. The breakneck pace of a fairly nuanced plot is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I saw the movie and it was good. Curious how the gently caress they'll make Kylo Ren a threatening character in the later movies when he's already lost here and it's pretty clear Rey's a lot stronger in the force than he is.

Make sure none of these are around.

• Locked thread