Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

A good poster posted:

Is the jist of both Midnight Screening videos for Star Wars that they all loved the poo poo out of it?

pretty mush, they all loved it and told people to watched it multiple times in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Finally a sane country.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

gently caress this earth that is some frightening poo poo.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Cyron posted:

a bit of a warning, brad's midnight screening with him and dave are full of spoilers for the new star wars, and the first 10 seconds is a big spoiler.

bro does he spoil the new chipmunks movies i need to kno before seeing midnit view!

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/midnight-screenings/midnight-screenings-alvin-and-the-chipmunks-the-road-chip-and-sisters

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

dude you don't know the big shocker of Dave yelling Alvin's name!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's scary but somehow I'm not surprised by it.

I wish I could like that video more but I really find that raised pitch on the voice irritating. What's wrong with using your normal voice for these characters?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can respect a country that uses Community as a political road-map.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really like YMS's stuff but I'll disagree with his assessment of Unfriended. It was a really smart, awesome movie that wasn't just a cool concept. The theme was great, the acting was natural (except for a few instances of weirdly outdated slang) and surprisingly well done and it was really well paced. His nitpicks are things I never noticed and honestly don't seem like a big deal in the least.

The film's absolute biggest failing was it had a PERFECT ending all set up and then drops the ball totally and goes for a lovely horror movie jump scare. Other than that it's one of my favorite horror films in a long time.

Wait, what do you think would've been the perfect ending for that movie? I agree the ending they went with was pretty eye rolling.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jimbot posted:

I wish I could like that video more but I really find that raised pitch on the voice irritating. What's wrong with using your normal voice for these characters?

I always assumed it was to protect his identity, cause the host has an actual job working at Pixar.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dijon du jour posted:

I always assumed it was to protect his identity, cause the host has an actual job working at Pixar.

I mean, why not just have James do narration then? It wouldn't surprise me if it's the case since he's very vague about anything regarding himself but it doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
The AE podcast just released a bonus episode on the XFL. It worth it for the end. Two things i never thought to cross.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Al-Saqr posted:

gently caress this earth that is some frightening poo poo.

Jimbot posted:

Did you guys not see the posts pointing out they're massively exaggerating and that's not the stuff Sesame Credit is actually for? Although really, if someone didn't care enough about revolutionary ideas to suffer slight social shunning they probably wouldn't care much to begin with.

watho posted:

I mean, why not just have James do narration then? It wouldn't surprise me if it's the case since he's very vague about anything regarding himself but it doesn't make all that much sense to me.

James might just not be a very good speaker himself.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

WickedHate posted:

James might just not be a very good speaker himself.

He works as a teacher and public speaker.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dijon du jour posted:

He works as a teacher and public speaker.

Well, that's the wrongest I've ever been about anything. That is pretty inexplicable then I guess.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, what do you think would've been the perfect ending for that movie? I agree the ending they went with was pretty eye rolling.

The ending I thought they were going to go for was have it end when Laura released the tape revealing that Blaire was the one who taped Laura passed out, the video that caused Laura to eventually kill herself. When Laura releases it on Facebook you see hundreds of comments, the same kind of ones presumably Laura got that caused her death, telling Blaire she was poo poo, garbage, evil, she should kill herself etc.

I thought the film would end with Blaire realizing in horror that she's now condemned to the same sort of shame, mockery, and cruelty she subjected Laura to. Like there was even a shot of dawning horror and realization on her face when the comments started flooding in. For me that would have been the perfect ending for the film, just end on a look of despair on Blaire's face when she realizes that she's now going to be known as the 'girl who killed bullied Laura to death' for the rest of her life.

I get wanting to end a film on a scare, but that just seemed like a smarter way to end the film.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvsiJppCdmk

It's here.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Jimbot posted:

You've probably heard the story before: the first "episode" was actually a school project, and in a rush Dan compressed it down to the time limit of 10 minutes by just speeding up the video without pitch correction. That, then, became part of the identity as it spun up into a show. At this point, love it or hate it, it's such a core part of the brand that it's here to stay. Forever!

Here's narrator Dan's normal voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki6l6O2VXn8

(Ironically he's being interviewed by yet another Dan)

Also James is a good public speaker, but good public speaking skills aren't the same as good camera/mic skills. Just watch the Extra History "lies" episodes to get an idea of what James as a host would sound like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_7q_FPjxQ

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mike's happy. :unsmith:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Plinkett review when

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
How do you make a blaxploitation movie in a country that has a miniscule black population? Not very well, actually. Here's my review of TNT Jackson.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Fowl posted:

Plinkett review when

Unironically this, I'd love to see them do an in-depth analysis of what makes this film work & doesn't work.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only problem I have with the premise of the new films is that it copies the OT too much. I'm not saying they needed to adapt the Yuuzhan Vong or anything, but re-establishing the Empire/First Order/Stormtroopers & Tie Fighters as the dominant bad guys and the heroes as the plucky resistance just feels lazy, and makes what happened in the first three films seem pointless. No New Republic, no reformed Jedi Order, :sigh: What a depressing override to the RotJ's ending, even if "the leader's dead, it's all over" isn't entirely realistic, this is going too far with it.

Still, I just can't find it in me to hate it. I even came around on the cross guards.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 21, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I feel like things would've worked a bit better if Force Awakens was the New Republic getting its rear end kicked by the New Order, not the Resistance.

Establish that the old guard have established a new government, even if things are rocky.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
the republic exist in the film, it just the resistince is the small group fighting the upstart empire with republic backing that they keep off the record book.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That does make it a little better, but narratively it's still copy and pasting the original trilogy when there's really no need.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

That does make it a little better, but narratively it's still copy and pasting the original trilogy when there's really no need.

There was entirely a need to do it. With a bunch of people complaining about the prequels in a way that distills down to "it's not the Star Wars I emotionally bonded with", they needed to copy-paste the bulk of another movie for the new movie.

The twist is that those same people don't really want a copy-paste of the earlier ones, which is why complaints about the mimicry pop up. Some folks (paradoxically) want new Star Wars movies that are new, and new Star Wars that precisely hits every button the old Star Wars did. If the prequels taught them they don't want New Star Wars, the new movie has taught them that they don't really want Old Star Wars either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I get what you're saying, but using the prequels as synonymous with "different from the originals" is like when executives don't want female led movies because of Catwoman and Elektra. Which is a mistake on the part of the fans and the people making it, really. I wouldn't even mind if it was a literal remake of the old movies, but it just fucks with the story so hard for me.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MisterBibs posted:

There was entirely a need to do it. With a bunch of people complaining about the prequels in a way that distills down to "it's not the Star Wars I emotionally bonded with", they needed to copy-paste the bulk of another movie for the new movie.

The twist is that those same people don't really want a copy-paste of the earlier ones, which is why complaints about the mimicry pop up. Some folks (paradoxically) want new Star Wars movies that are new, and new Star Wars that precisely hits every button the old Star Wars did. If the prequels taught them they don't want New Star Wars, the new movie has taught them that they don't really want Old Star Wars either.

the reviews have been overall positive, maybe if you where not mocked out of CD for being wrong...

why do people come to this thread as a hideaway for being mocked on another part of this forum, have we learn nothing from the great anime invasion this year.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 21, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm not sure what was confusing- the New Republic is still in its nascency, to which the New Order isn't a credible threat. The Resistance is basically a local militia that the Republic is propping up so that it doesn't have to overextend itself getting embroiled in military matters in the Outer Rim. What we're seeing in Ep7 is a bush war, not a galactic conflict.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

the reviews have been overall positive, maybe if you where not mocked out of CD for being wrong...

why do people come to this thread as a hideaway for being mocked on another part of this forum, have we learn nothing from the great anime invasion this year.

I post outside of CD all the time, though? Nobody has proven me wrong about anything in CineD.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
CD is so mad that you aren't scared by the villain.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Yeah I came out feeling the same way as Mike. It was everything I wanted it to be and I am extremely pleased because I went in expecting the film to be the usual bland mush Hollywood has been serving out for projects that cost this much. It was actually a big surprise to me that I enjoyed the film as much as I did because I went in pretty cynical about how it was going to turn out.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

OldTennisCourt posted:

Maybe a look at something like the original Halloween and a compare and contrast with the remake?

This is from last page, but it made me remember that this dude exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwB4l8TbJyE
https://youtu.be/GwB4l8TbJyE

If you can get past his whole "~wacky multiple personality~" schtick his analysis is pretty good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

This is from last page, but it made me remember that this dude exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwB4l8TbJyE
https://youtu.be/GwB4l8TbJyE

If you can get past his whole "~wacky multiple personality~" schtick his analysis is pretty good.

Thank you for introducing me to this guy! I figured I'd watch a few minutes and close it, but I'm 16 minutes in now.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"The Force Awakens" and "Mad Max Fury Road" have generated so much comedy via people who are so mad over completely bullshit reasons (the science is not accurate and FEMALES being the top two) that a movie is popular.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

"The Force Awakens" and "Mad Max Fury Road" have generated so much comedy via people who are so mad over completely bullshit reasons (the science is not accurate and FEMALES being the top two) that a movie is popular.

I... I really can't imagine feeling like either franchise is really TRYING to have accurate science. One's BDSM car chases and splosions, and the other's Swords and Sorcery IN SPAAAAACE! Why would you expect any level of scientific accuracy from that? It'd be like expecting people to behave sensibly in a comedy!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I... I really can't imagine feeling like either franchise is really TRYING to have accurate science. One's BDSM car chases and splosions, and the other's Swords and Sorcery IN SPAAAAACE! Why would you expect any level of scientific accuracy from that? It'd be like expecting people to behave sensibly in a comedy!

Listen, you philistine, it doesn't matter how fast he jammed it in there, there's no reason Mr Bean couldn't just pull the turkey off his head after getting it stuck on there. It's just Physics you sjws! :argh:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Star Wars is a series with laser swords that suddenly stop three feet from the hilt, planet-busting space stations, Jar Jar Binks, and space wizards.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Star Wars is a series with laser swords that suddenly stop three feet from the hilt, planet-busting space stations, Jar Jar Binks, and space wizards.

Lightsabers would be much more believable if they looked like No More Heroes laser swords IMHO, I basically walked out of the theater when they turned them on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Robert Denby posted:

I'll bet good money there's nerds pissed that there were female stormtroopers and they couldn't tell they were women in the armor until they spoke :qq:.

• Locked thread