Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYw5KWTe15I

Okay, here's the scene. Clearly in the wide shots the sabers don't light the environment, but when Anakin slices the power cable and turns out the lights the sabers illuminate Dooku and Anakin. Looks like maybe it was a... PRACTICAL EFFECT. *duh duh duuuuuh*

Again some close ups have the blue glow effect like on anakins face ,but at other times it doesn't, but when you watch them duel in the dark there is no light cast when it's a medium and long range shot. I mean that literally is just two floating glowing things with no light cast it's the same in the OT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

You must not be very familiar with CineD Starwar threads.

Not at all.

I've always assumed that everyone that was old enough to post here also had enough of a brain to accept how bad the PT was.

As much as I loved TFA, I definitely realize it's shortcomings and wouldn't praise it as the best Star Wars movie ever. I went in expecting it to retread familiar ground as it introduces us to a new cast of characters, and it met my expectations.

I will be disappointed, however, if the rest of the new trilogy doesn't break new ground. I can give TFA a pass for using another Death Star like plot device for paying the OT homage, but the next couple of movies shouldn't retread Empire outside of Luke training Rey.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TG-Chrono posted:

- The first Jedi trick we see from Obi-Wan is the mind trick, same with Rey and Daniel Craig (I guess mind reading Kylo?)
- Rey's vision has Obi-Wan says her name and "These are your first steps". Obi-Wan says the same to Luke in ANH.

Wait, that was a Daniel Craig cameo?

Hollismason posted:

Again some close ups have the blue glow effect, but when you watch them duel in the dark there is no light cast. I mean that literally is just two floating glowing things with no light cast.

Oh did you say there was illumination in closeups before? I must have missed that. Wait did you watch that whole video? Or are you saying the light was some practical source, not the digital saver effect? Because if that's what you're saying I have no problem with it, it's just more narrowly technical than what I thought you were saying: the sabers have never cast light. (In the logic of the films the sabers are casting light, even if it's actually a practical effect for close-ups that's unrelated to the digital saber effect.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 21, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Runefaust posted:

Expanded theory as well: There's always been talk about "the chosen one bringing balance to the force". We all thought, at the end of the OT, Luke was that person where Anakin failed. However, that clearly has not been the case - In Luke's attempt to bring about a new age of Jedi, Kylo was born from Luke's failures. If clone / DNA magic happened and Rey was of Anakin, what if Rey is that chosen one?

I had, as a kid, assumed that the prophecy that Anakin would bring balance to the force was one of those lovely Macbeth prophecies and that, with only two Sith (Vader and Palpatine) and two Jedi (Kenobi and Yoda) he had indeed brought "balance" to the force.

It doesn't really add up like that for a number of reasons but I always wondered what bringing balance to the force would actually entail.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

TheKingofSprings posted:

I saw the movie and it was good. Curious how the gently caress they'll make Kylo Ren a threatening character in the later movies when he's already lost here and it's pretty clear Rey's a lot stronger in the force than he is.

He had several injuries from Chewbakka and Finn, plus he didn't really know she'd tap into such strong power that soon. I think it's more to show how undisciplined Ren is as opposed to how powerful Rey is, which was the theme throughout the entire movie. A theme I really liked.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. There were quite a few hidden celebrity cameos. Simon Pegg was the junker Rey sold parts to, Bill Hader and another comedian did the voice for BB8. I believe there were some more but I can't quite remember them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TheKingofSprings posted:

I saw the movie and it was good. Curious how the gently caress they'll make Kylo Ren a threatening character in the later movies when he's already lost here and it's pretty clear Rey's a lot stronger in the force than he is.

Well they went out of their way to show him barely losing to the heroes with some severe handicaps. He is also shown that when he's got the mask on and full up on confidence he is pretty scary and on-point (blast bolt held mid-air), but that he isn't on his A game all the time. Giving him control over his anger to fuel his dark side abilities, and teaching him to not toy with people (see the bit with finn) and he should be plenty scary.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh did you say there was illumination in closeups before? I must have missed that.

In some of the shots there are in other's there aren't at like when Anakin chops Dookus head off. No light cast on his head, but when there's a sometimes a dramatic close up there is, but then at some points there isn't.

No light

Bad Lighting

Again no lightin

No light and it's dark, sorry small image

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Hollismason posted:

In some of the shots there are in other's there aren't at like when Anakin chops Dookus head off. No light cast on his head, but when there's a sometimes a dramatic close up there is, but then at some points there isn't.

No light

Yeah in the PT, seems like the light is a post effect whereas in TFA it's part of the prop itself.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

Make sure none of these are around.

I loved that a recurring theme of the movie was "hey, this gun Chewbacca has had in every film is actually loving legit, did you know"

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Read the thread.

Kylo Ren never meant to kill her, Snoke asked to bring her to him.
He got gut shot by chewie and his sword arm clipped pretty good by Finn.
Plus his training is not complete according to Snoke.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I could definitely see them running Kylo through a redemption arc.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

No light

Bad Lighting

You think they'll be able to go back and fix that in future Special Editions?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

nerdbot posted:

I had, as a kid, assumed that the prophecy that Anakin would bring balance to the force was one of those lovely Macbeth prophecies and that, with only two Sith (Vader and Palpatine) and two Jedi (Kenobi and Yoda) he had indeed brought "balance" to the force.

It doesn't really add up like that for a number of reasons but I always wondered what bringing balance to the force would actually entail.

The only true balance I could imagine is if the force ceased to exist - No Jedi or Sith left to carry on tradition. Other than that, there has always been a sort of balance back-and-forth, wherein both the light and dark sides keep one another in check. When the light has grown too strong, the darkn came to overthrow, and when the dark became too strong, the light intervened, exc.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Runefaust posted:

The only true balance I could imagine is if the force ceased to exist - No Jedi or Sith left to carry on tradition. Other than that, there has always been a sort of balance back-and-forth, wherein both the light and dark sides keep one another in check. When the light has grown too strong, the darkn came to overthrow, and when the dark became too strong, the light intervened, exc.

This is the Kreia option, aka the right good interesting one, so it won't be in the movies.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I could definitely see them trying, but it's hard to come back from being seen as a royal fucktard after you murder YOUR OWN loving FATHER who also happens to be one of the most loved characters in the StarWars Universe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Well they went out of their way to show him barely losing to the heroes with some severe handicaps. He is also shown that when he's got the mask on and full up on confidence he is pretty scary and on-point (blast bolt held mid-air), but that he isn't on his A game all the time. Giving him control over his anger to fuel his dark side abilities, and teaching him to not toy with people (see the bit with finn) and he should be plenty scary.

He barely lost to two people with minimal and absolutely no experience in lightsaber fighting up to that point, respectively.

It's really hard to believe Rey's not just going to blow past him in training and be a lot better by the time of the second movie.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

TG-Chrono posted:

This is the Kreia option, aka the right good interesting one, so it won't be in the movies.

gently caress everyone and pull of a DUNE series type ending, basically giving everyone the middle finger.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Arglebargle III posted:

You think they'll be able to go back and fix that in future Special Editions?

They could probably do it now ,but not when Lucas made them. Artifical lighting effects have come along way. That's what makes older CGI look loving bonkers is the hosed up lighting.

Once you see it though you can't unsee it really because it doesn't look natural.

That's why I think TFA's lightsaber duel is better. I've seen the film 3 times now and each time going back its really distracting to watch the OT fights.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I think they were kind of banging us over the head with this.

If the last movie is Luke, Rey, Kylo tag teaming some undead dead Sithwhatever, I'd be down with that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Viller posted:

Plus his training is not complete according to Snoke.

The other points I knew about before making that post, but this one in particular I really wish they elaborated on in the movie. How long had he been training? A year? 5 years?

What point did Han go back to smuggling, again? I can't remember if it was mentioned in the movie or not and I guess that'd be the best way to get a rough time for when he joined the dark side.

E: Also what was the chest beating thing about? Stopping blood, psyching himself up?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm glad they killed off Han and gave Harrison Ford a little more screen time. He was huffin and puffin through the movie and I don't want him oldin up the joint for two more movies. I really liked this movie by the way.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Ep8-9 Could be Luke trying to start this new order that uses both sides of the force after failing with the emotionless virgins approach(kylo Ren killing everyone) from the prequels.
He did subdue Vader with anger after all.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't mean Kylo literally picking up undead dead Sithwhatever over his head and throwing him out of the ring while being enveloped in lightning.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Kylo is a character they could redeem, but I don't feel like that'd be as interesting as seeing how low he could go.

On the other hand, I always wondered what the gently caress Obi-Wan was doing when he tried to get Anakin to turn back. The dude just killed like, fifty kids, and there's no more Jedi, where would you even go from there? Characters in Star Wars have a history of offering "you don't have to be this way, come back to us" as a choice to the villains, even after they very recently pulled some hosed up poo poo, and I kind of want to see what they'd do if a character like Kylo actually decided to stand down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamn that scene has all the energy of a Hutt taking a poo poo where he sits.

Oof, yeah. Contrast with the forest fight in TFA where everyone's grunting and screaming. "Okay your arm got cut off, so react here." "ehh!"

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

He barely lost to two people with minimal and absolutely no experience in lightsaber fighting up to that point, respectively.

It's really hard to believe Rey's not just going to blow past him in training and be a lot better by the time of the second movie.

Kylo Ren seems like the type to coast by on natural talent without actually applying himself. He probably hasn't needed to take his training seriously because he automatically wins by being the only force user in the room with a lightsaber. Hell, for all we know the reason he was able to take out Luke's trainees with little/no training was because he did something cowardly like kill them in their sleep.

With Snoke continuing his training and without the distraction of the Light's temptation he could easily surpass Rey if he applies himself. Skywalker blood counts for a hell of a lot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always wish they'd have went with the idea that Obi Wan Kenobi was Anakin's father and Skywalker was is mothers name.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I always wish they'd have went with the idea that Obi Wan Kenobi was Anakin's father and Skywalker was is mothers name.

So did the writers of episode VII, apparently.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

ANH's lightsaber fight = Kendo
PT's lightsaber fights = Wushu

The difference being that in the two decades between, Lucas stopped watching Kurosawa films and moved on to Jackie Chan. That and kendo is basically practice fighting with samurai swords, and Wushu is acrobatics with props.

Meanwhile, TFA's lightsaber fights are more like Rob Roy broadsword stuff. And it works.

Anyway, something not mentioned much is the rivalry Snoke has created between Kylo and General Redhead. The redheaded guy even sasses Kylo a few times and Kylo knows he can't force choke him because their daddy figure will disapprove. General redhead blows up planets, Kylo tries to one-up this by finally getting the map. Meanwhile, Snoke is sitting back to see which method (brute military force vs the old-time religion) will be more effective.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it works though and explains why Kenobi doesn't want to kill Vader or hunt him down. It was something suggested at one point but they never went through with it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

I think they were kind of banging us over the head with this.

If the last movie is Luke, Rey, Kylo tag teaming some undead dead Sithwhatever, I'd be down with that.

I think it was pretty clever to invert it so that the villain is fully aware that everyone on the good side is going to try to redeem him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chappers posted:

ANH's lightsaber fight = Kendo
PT's lightsaber fights = Wushu

The difference being that in the two decades between, Lucas stopped watching Kurosawa films and moved on to Jackie Chan. That and kendo is basically practice fighting with samurai swords, and Wushu is acrobatics with props.

Meanwhile, TFA's lightsaber fights are more like Rob Roy broadsword stuff. And it works.

Anyway, something not mentioned much is the rivalry Snoke has created between Kylo and General Redhead. The redheaded guy even sasses Kylo a few times and Kylo knows he can't force choke him because their daddy figure will disapprove. General redhead blows up planets, Kylo tries to one-up this by finally getting the map. Meanwhile, Snoke is sitting back to see which method (brute military force vs the old-time religion) will be more effective.

At the meeting with Snoke, when Redhead Nazi walks in, the way Adam Driver played trying to get a hold of his whiny self made me guffaw in the theater. It was great and the person next to me looked at me like I was crazy because nobody else laughed there. He was almost crying. He just looked so much like Anakin.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Kylo doesn't need redemption.

Luke feels the dark side growing, has visions of Snoke and his demise, and comes up with a plan to subvert the dark side. Luke trains Kylo extensively in infiltration. Kylo discovers Snoke, trains under him waiting for an advantage to strike at Snoke, fulfilling Luke's ultimate goal. In TFA, Kylo does not want to kill his father, but knows that in order to fulfill Luke's prophecy, he must kill his own father. Kylo knows he must engulf himself in the dark side and walk the fine line between madness and sanity. Rey and Finn throw a cog in Luke's own plans that he did not foresee.

Luke = Dumbledore, Kylo = Snape, Rey = Harry Potter, and Finn = Neville Longbottom.

Boom.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Also what was the chest beating thing about? Stopping blood, psyching himself up?

I took it as him psyching himself up. He wasn't stopping blood, he was literally punching the poo poo out of a giant gaping wound and walking around with it. Dude is hosed up in enough ways that masochism doesn't feel out of bounds.

If there's any flashbacks in Episode 8 I want to see the scene where R2D2 loyally agrees to go dormant with the map for entire to protect Luke. What a good friend. :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think Luke would make a plan involving killing Han.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Chappers posted:

Yeah but this was lost as soon as they turned the plot around to focus on death star #3. Redhead fired the big gun and went away. I actually really liked that Ren had a non force using adversary.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
One other interesting thing is that all of the First Order are very young. Either they can only recruit people who don't remember the Galactic Civil War or said war completely wiped out a generation of people sympathetic to them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Runefaust posted:

Luke = Dumbledore

I'm 100% sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

At the meeting with Snoke, when Redhead Nazi walks in, the way Adam Driver played trying to get a hold of his whiny self made me guffaw in the theater. It was great and the person next to me looked at me like I was crazy because nobody else laughed there. He was almost crying. He just looked so much like Anakin.

He looks at his helmet under his arm like he wants to sneak it on before Hux is besides him. Great acting by Driver there.

Wank posted:

One other interesting thing is that all of the First Order are very young. Either they can only recruit people who don't remember the Galactic Civil War or said war completely wiped out a generation of people sympathetic to them.

This deserves to be discussed more.

Everyone(the leaders) on the resistance side are old so they would remember the empire.

Viller fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread