Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

goodness posted:

As a new player should I hold off on Cossacks expansion?

I was a new player when El Dorado launched, and I decided to hold off because I was worried about learning new systems on top of old systems.

Later, I turned on El Dorado and learned what an idiot I had been for not just playing with El Dorado turned on in the first place.

Do not hold off. Just enable all of the DLC, you won't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

goodness fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 23, 2015

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

goodness posted:

Thanks for the help! Are there any non-European nations that are good to start as/learn? Not much interest in the typical Spain, England, France, HRE history.

Not sure how much you'd like it, but I found starting as one of the Malaysian nations (Brunei was my pick) and focusing on exploration ideas was quite good - colonizing the rest of Malaysia while taking over my neighbours proved quite enjoyable (and normally you're quite big and rich by the time the Euros show up). Possibly a bit slow-going though, at times.
Someone else might have a better non-Euro suggestion for you, though

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 21, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm making tiles!

Okay, I hosed up here. Non 8 bit river map? It would consistently generate a 'randomized' actual New World, where North and South America had random climates and province names, but historical shape. Sadly, it wasn't 'useful', as most of the time it would plop my custom tiles smack dab in the middle of North America. (Excuse the crater map, it was in rough draft state here)

Anyway, now that I have a couple proof of concept tiles done, I need to start making some continents. The improved randomizer is great, but there aren't enough large continent tiles and I feel like 70%+ New Worlds are just chains of islands and mini continents in a vast ocean.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Looking good and I feel the same way about the small tiles. I'd be way more into RNW with some proper continents. Yours looks a bit more plausible than most of the Paradox tiles too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Okay, I hosed up here. Non 8 bit river map? It would consistently generate a 'randomized' actual New World, where North and South America had random climates and province names, but historical shape. Sadly, it wasn't 'useful', as most of the time it would plop my custom tiles smack dab in the middle of North America. (Excuse the crater map, it was in rough draft state here)
I found when working on rnw tiles that if you accidentally punch in a tile's dimensions larger than they actually are- like if you told the game a 1x1 tile was 10x10- it'd fill in all the extra blank space beyond where the tile actually has data with the vanilla map.

And remember, river maps are in indexed mode. What program are you using to work on your tiles?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

goodness posted:

Thanks for the help! Are there any non-European nations that are good to start as/learn? Not much interest in the typical Spain, England, France, HRE history.

Ethiopia is really cool as it's got a pretty safe starting spot with a gold mine very close by for smooth starts. Morocco starts with a gold mine and can do colonizing and is also eligible to form Al Andalusia (be careful cause it moves your capital into Iberia though). If you want a hard start with a hilarious mid-late game then go Nepal aka the Prussia of the East and just murder everyone with your troops.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

TTBF posted:

I keep my army sliders at about 25% in case a war suddenly happens. If I'm called to war I can put my slider to full and wait two months to accept and then be at max morale.

e: I'm thinking of doing a daimyo game. What are good ones to start as?

Hosokawa has the most provinces (4) to start, and thus has the largest amount of troops they can field. Besides them, Uesugi has 3 provinces and is next to Takeda, which has a gold mine you should go for immediately.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can try the Jurchen tribes and set out to form Qing as well. There's a strong possibility Ming will try and kick your teeth in at some point, but having a major come ruin your day is a staple of all the good minors.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Is there anything you can do about Agitate for Liberty besides annex the guy doing it, or do I just have to accept permanent +25% liberty desire on every vassal

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Improve relations to positive with whoever has espionage ideas. Or crush them that works too.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Eej posted:

Improve relations to positive with whoever has espionage ideas. Or crush them that works too.

Literally every country has zero trust with me because I broke defender of the faith many times so making them like me is out

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Hosokawa has the most provinces (4) to start, and thus has the largest amount of troops they can field. Besides them, Uesugi has 3 provinces and is next to Takeda, which has a gold mine you should go for immediately.

I've had a few attempts, and they mostly went horribly wrong because of the weird tangle of alliances. All my allies are allied to my rivals who are in turn allied to their rivals. it takes a while for a good opening. I had a great run where none of my allies allied my rivals and the non-allies were fairly weak alliances. I was waiting for favors to accumulate so I could make my move and then my ally Uesagi declared war on the shogun. I did not get a call to arms and was instead just dragged into a war against every country bordering my territory.

Japanese nations seem like a rough early game.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

TTBF posted:

I've had a few attempts, and they mostly went horribly wrong because of the weird tangle of alliances. All my allies are allied to my rivals who are in turn allied to their rivals. it takes a while for a good opening. I had a great run where none of my allies allied my rivals and the non-allies were fairly weak alliances. I was waiting for favors to accumulate so I could make my move and then my ally Uesagi declared war on the shogun. I did not get a call to arms and was instead just dragged into a war against every country bordering my territory.

Japanese nations seem like a rough early game.

It's probably a lot rougher now with the new diplomacy system and the fact that breaking an alliance gives you a truce. The trick is to ally as many other daimyo as you can and try to pick off the weakest one by one by calling their allies into other wars before declaring.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yashichi posted:

Literally every country has zero trust with me because I broke defender of the faith many times so making them like me is out

Blood, darkness and fire seems like the natural solution at this point. If no one like you, it's not like being a crazed warmonger will make them think less of you.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Blood, darkness and fire seems like the natural solution at this point. If no one like you, it's not like being a crazed warmonger will make them think less of you.

That's what I'm doing already, it's just irritating constantly funneling my infinite prestige into lowering liberty desire on all of these vassals. It would be nice if I had any way to stop it from happening but that would mean espionage would have to be a real game system

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, Kazan is tough. I'm trying to grow east and south as fast as possible due to not strangling Russia in the crib, and even with Ottobuddies I'm not sure if I can take them. Also, tiny Tabarestan wrecked my poo poo because I'm behind in mil tech thanks to ideas and I picked the wrong CB when trying to beat their poo poo in. All in all, a fun learning experience.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, Kazan is tough. I'm trying to grow east and south as fast as possible due to not strangling Russia in the crib, and even with Ottobuddies I'm not sure if I can take them. Also, tiny Tabarestan wrecked my poo poo because I'm behind in mil tech thanks to ideas and I picked the wrong CB when trying to beat their poo poo in. All in all, a fun learning experience.

If you're unaware, another horde bonus that might help you eke out victory is that you do 25% more shock damage in provinces that you own which have flat terrain (steppes, plains, etc.) So it can be useful to let the enemy armies roll into your own territory first and then shatter them there when they wander onto some steppes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kersch posted:

If you're unaware, another horde bonus that might help you eke out victory is that you do 25% more shock damage in provinces that you own which have flat terrain (steppes, plains, etc.) So it can be useful to let the enemy armies roll into your own territory first and then shatter them there when they wander onto some steppes.

I actually was, thanks for that!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Can you rival Muscovy? If so you should likely be able to ally Poland, who will happily roll Muscovy for you. You're also capable of beating them alone, as long as you know your other neighbors won't backstab you immediately.

You shouldn't be behind in mil tech though. No idea is worth being down one of the big morale/tactics unlocks.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wafflecopper posted:

Looking good and I feel the same way about the small tiles. I'd be way more into RNW with some proper continents. Yours looks a bit more plausible than most of the Paradox tiles too.

The 'crater' is hand painted, the other one is based off a real world height map of some random mountain area for 'realistic fractalness' tweaked and curve mapped to get is game suitable. I'm actually thinking of using the terrain.party Cities: Skylines hightmap grabber to get more interesting map areas.

Ofaloaf posted:

I found when working on rnw tiles that if you accidentally punch in a tile's dimensions larger than they actually are- like if you told the game a 1x1 tile was 10x10- it'd fill in all the extra blank space beyond where the tile actually has data with the vanilla map.

And remember, river maps are in indexed mode. What program are you using to work on your tiles?

Using an old version of PaintShopPro. Probably need to switch it up as every attempt at making a working river tile has resulted in crashes or crazy bugs.

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I need to count my land/sea tiles myself? Isn't this why we made computers?! :qq:

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I need to count my land/sea tiles myself? Isn't this why we made computers?! :qq:
PRO PARADOX MAPMAKER NOSCOPE_420 TIP: Make sea and land provinces on different layers. I know GIMP, which I used, has a neat feature with Colors->Info->Colorcube Analysis which counts all the colors used on a layer. I suspect other programs have something similar. If you make land and sea provs on separate layers, you can count up the number of provs easily by just making the program quickly count the number of unique colors used on the layer.

Of course, you'll still have to list the RGB values of each sea_province individually, but at least you'll get your count quickly that way.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Ahahahaha, holy crap.

So Nepal is, no joke, literally Indian Prussia. Wanna know what makes them even more hilariously powerful on the military front? Take a Sikh province, convert to Sikhism. Thanks, free +10% morale and -10% Mil Tech cost.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Can you rival Muscovy? If so you should likely be able to ally Poland, who will happily roll Muscovy for you. You're also capable of beating them alone, as long as you know your other neighbors won't backstab you immediately.

You shouldn't be behind in mil tech though. No idea is worth being down one of the big morale/tactics unlocks.

Poland rivaled me and aren't too happy with me getting close to the Ottomans. I'm trying to easy up to Sweden but they seem to be getting their front door kicked in by the Russians.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Does the ai check maintenance when seeing an opportunity for dowimg? I've always kept it at halfway just in case

I know people semi-answered this already, but Wiz confirmed that they don't a while ago. I don't think there's even a way to see another country's maintenance so makes sense I guess.

This is looking pretty good but what's up with the blobby sea tiles? :( all the Paradox tiles are like that too, it looks really incongruous compared to the tiles in the rest of the game.

I'm glad you guys are working on new tiles though. I like the foundations for the new Random New World, but the lack of variety and the fact nearly all of them are small meant I turned RNW off again after like 2 games.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Poland rivaled me and aren't too happy with me getting close to the Ottomans. I'm trying to easy up to Sweden but they seem to be getting their front door kicked in by the Russians.

How big is Muscovy right now? I just started as Kazan last night, and after eating a chunk of Nogai and half of the Golden Horde, I was able to beat Muscovy myself. Be sure to develop the production level on your gold mine mine province, and then just hire mercenary infantry to do most of the work, since you don't have to pay them to reinforce, giving you essentially unlimited manpower. They were still low on manpower from beating up Novgorod. I did it at tech parity; I hoped to still be ahead but they bought up tech the day I declared war. :smith:

Early in the game you want to build your armies so that you have enough infantry regiments to match their front line (their whole army basically, since no artillery is in play yet), then add 6 cavalry. The cavalry flank and do the job of killing the enemy, while the merc infantry just absorb damage.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

I know people semi-answered this already, but Wiz confirmed that they don't a while ago. I don't think there's even a way to see another country's maintenance so makes sense I guess.

I think the generator does something to the outer borders of sea tiles when it merges them into the map. Pretty sure those were straight lines, because I was drawing them with shift-click to make straight looking sea provs.

I have a theory, but I'm not sure if it's true. If I make a tile that looks like this where Os and Xs are 128 pixel blocks
OOOO
OOOO
OOXX
OOXX

Where the Os have content and the Xs are flagged as 'empty', can 1x1 or 2x2 tiles spawn in the empty space of my tile? I think I observed this, but I'm not sure if I was imagining things.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

This is looking pretty good but what's up with the blobby sea tiles? :( all the Paradox tiles are like that too, it looks really incongruous compared to the tiles in the rest of the game.
The revised RNW generator eschewed the algorithmic thing the previous generator did in favor of premade tiles- except when it comes to the open sea, where the game then auto-generates sea provinces so that all the tiles can be stitched together without having them all fit inside really blatant rectangles. The algorithm thing also bleeds over into the bordering premade sea provinces, but only there. If you look at Fintilgin's tile above, you'll see that there's a coastal sea province in the north that still has straight lines- it doesn't touch where the RNW random open-water sea provs are, and so doesn't have that weird blobiness going on.

quote:

I'm glad you guys are working on new tiles though. I like the foundations for the new Random New World, but the lack of variety and the fact nearly all of them are small meant I turned RNW off again after like 2 games.
It was a fun time figuring it all out when it was still in beta and the generator itself was still being tweaked. The early iterations of the shaders were super-weird and sometimes cast smaller islands under a shroud of eternal shadow.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 21, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ahh okay that makes sense.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

A little frustrating that I can't ally Lithuania because I don't have any naval strength as a landlocked country. Do they think I'm going to build a warfleet in the Caspian?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

How big is Muscovy right now? I just started as Kazan last night, and after eating a chunk of Nogai and half of the Golden Horde, I was able to beat Muscovy myself. Be sure to develop the production level on your gold mine mine province, and then just hire mercenary infantry to do most of the work, since you don't have to pay them to reinforce, giving you essentially unlimited manpower. They were still low on manpower from beating up Novgorod. I did it at tech parity; I hoped to still be ahead but they bought up tech the day I declared war. :smith:

Early in the game you want to build your armies so that you have enough infantry regiments to match their front line (their whole army basically, since no artillery is in play yet), then add 6 cavalry. The cavalry flank and do the job of killing the enemy, while the merc infantry just absorb damage.

Yeah I'll do this on my second try at Tartarstan. The Russian clowncar popped when the Ottomans weren't my allies thanks to multiple war declarations popping and killed all will to play.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

You do want some merc infantry as meat shields for your cav but if you're a horde and only running with 6 cav then you're doing it wrong. If I had even more cav here it might've been a wipe. This war was me against Muscovy and all their minions and a Teutonic Order that destroyed Poland. I won eventually but gave up on this save because it took too long.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trujillo posted:

You do want some merc infantry as meat shields for your cav but if you're a horde and only running with 6 cav then you're doing it wrong. If I had even more cav here it might've been a wipe. This war was me against Muscovy and all their minions and a Teutonic Order that destroyed Poland. I won eventually but gave up on this save because it took too long.

You're probably right; you do definitely want to start transitioning to all-cav as fast as you can afford it. I've been biased by my Mongolia game where early on money is much, much tighter than it is with Kazan.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

You're probably right; you do definitely want to start transitioning to all-cav as fast as you can afford it. I've been biased by my Mongolia game where early on money is much, much tighter than it is with Kazan.

I think one of my problems was that I was constantly out of cash and the loans just kept building up beyond the point of ever supporting any more than about 20 men. I'm assuming its the massive amount of autonomy I had everywhere.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The usual answer to not having enough cash is to expand faster/more aggressively. Obviously this isn't easy to do, but in general you want to try and blob up as quickly as possible in the beginning of the game, overspending, taking as much territory as you can while no one hates you, and taking some loans if absolutely necessary. You want to get a nice, solid economic foundation that will at least pay for your force limit's worth of troops. Waiting for autonomy to tick down obviously helps, but it's also super slow and the extra time you spend not attacking your neighbors is time they're spending building troops, conquering their neighbors, developing, and generally getting stronger.

Like I said this isn't exactly trivially easy to do depending on what nation you are, but it's something you want to practice and get really good at. The thing that took me the longest to get a handle on was fighting and winning wars where I didn't have a massive numbers/tech advantage. You'd be surprised how many little things you can do during a war to screw your enemy over just because they're controlled by an AI. Watching DDRJake really helped me a lot with this if you want to watch somebody to learn how to expand way quicker than you'd think is possible (sometimes with predictably bad rebellions afterwards).

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Jesus christ it's like I'm a steamroller. No one can stop me now as Nepal. I honestly believe that even France would have difficulty with facing me down, halfway from attrition and the other half from just sheer massive modifiers to my morale, fighting ability, and discipline.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I think one of my problems was that I was constantly out of cash and the loans just kept building up beyond the point of ever supporting any more than about 20 men. I'm assuming its the massive amount of autonomy I had everywhere.

Well don't worry about the loans so much (as long as you're not swimming in them). Loans are really easy to repay, particularly since you can just loot that cash off of someone later. You do want to blob up a bunch to fund stuff, but honestly ~25 regiments is basically enough to beat Muscovy anyway.

I'm divided on whether autonomy is worth it for Hordes. Now that revolts give a proper -100 Unrest, it's almost worth it to just let them revolt once. The only limiting factor is how distant your wars are. If waiting for rebels to spawn is the only thing gating you from starting another war, then you're probably better off just raising autonomy. It's certainly the approach I took in my Kazan start.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fleets keep sticking to the side of the screen!

But I finally got rid of <country name-> Korea, by connecting the coast down to the wonderful jungle provinces of spicy attrition wonderland where I started. I bet soldiers are dying like flies in the jungle because they are morons and attempt to eat chili as if it was apples.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
So I have the Sabaton music pack, and had a long as hell regency since the heir was just born just about when the leader died.

Moment the heir turns 15, Carolus Rex comes on.

gently caress yeah.

Edit: For those of you who don't know what that means, Carolus Rex's first lines are, "All embrace me, it's my time to rule at last, 15 years have I been waiting to sit upon my throne".

Aaand pretty much the moment she got on the throne, been doing non-stop curbstomping of the Indian subcontinent.

fishception fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Just started getting into EU4 and I noticed there is steam workshop support, are there any must have mods?

• Locked thread