Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

epitasis posted:

i dont listen to him but im pretty sure he spent his first 10 shows thanking the lord that he wasnt in wrestling anymore

except Corny is a sneering Dawkins Atheist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

LOL Corny DMCA'd their excerpt, that's gonna be an easy win for SBNation's lawyers.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yes i look forward to their forthcoming litigation that will definitely happen

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm kinda sad because, by posting a piece of his whole rant and attacking him, it's only going to make him double down for weeks about it.

He's not a guy who's going to apologize or change his opinion due to public opinion.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
'Views held by plurality of Americans have no place in incredibly modern, progressive world of wrestling'

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

'Views held by plurality of Americans have no place in incredibly modern, progressive world of wrestling'

Accurate

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

coconono posted:

except Corny is a sneering Dawkins Atheist
Who stole Jim's honey? Was it Russo?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Cory Lidle posted:

Indy wrestlers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cory Lidle posted:

Flips.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I listened to that podcast, and I don't give a poo poo if Cornette hates today's music, or has a problem with religion or republicans or whatever. But Holy poo poo I fell asleep 10 minutes into his WRESTLING podcast and I wake up 50 minutes later and he's still bashing muslims. Seriously I get it it's his podcast and he can talk about whatever so long as it's Court approved but poo poo, just talk about wrestling, dude. There's like 50 million things on tv a day about the woes of the world I don't need it my wrestlecasts either. His historical view on wrestling is primarily why I listen, which is getting harder and harder to do.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tr33 posted:

I listened to that podcast, and I don't give a poo poo if Cornette hates today's music, or has a problem with religion or republicans or whatever. But Holy poo poo I fell asleep 10 minutes into his WRESTLING podcast and I wake up 50 minutes later and he's still bashing muslims. Seriously I get it it's his podcast and he can talk about whatever so long as it's Court approved but poo poo, just talk about wrestling, dude. There's like 50 million things on tv a day about the woes of the world I don't need it my wrestlecasts either. His historical view on wrestling is primarily why I listen, which is getting harder and harder to do.

That's saved for his premium Drive Thru show where he answers wrestling questions for the entire show.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

I know, I do listen to drive thru, it's a great little bit extra. ANd I've always known the deal with jim is you get his CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS! with the JCE. I don't mind little blurbs about whatever's itchin his dick that week. But these EVERYTHINGS hosed rants are getting more and more the usual except when he has a guest on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd bet that a significant portion of his listeners just like hearing him rant on whatever regardless of his views on the subject.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tr33 posted:

I know, I do listen to drive thru, it's a great little bit extra. ANd I've always known the deal with jim is you get his CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS! with the JCE. I don't mind little blurbs about whatever's itchin his dick that week. But these EVERYTHINGS hosed rants are getting more and more the usual except when he has a guest on.

Cranky old man with a soapbox goes back to his favorite topics of hatred every show because it feels like one never-ending dialogue, more on this shocking story as it develops.

(I'm just joshin' ya, but the same thing's happened on Adam Carolla's podcast and on Greg Proops' podcast and so on and so on...)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave: I know people who know nothing about Japanese wrestling but watch that Axs show every Friday night.

Bryan: I do too!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cornette is a David Cross album if you grow up Southern Baptist instead of Jewish

Tr33
May 26, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Cranky old man with a soapbox goes back to his favorite topics of hatred every show because it feels like one never-ending dialogue, more on this shocking story as it develops.

(I'm just joshin' ya, but the same thing's happened on Adam Carolla's podcast and on Greg Proops' podcast and so on and so on...)

Really Greg Proops? I never really listned to his podcast but he never struck me as the old man yells a cloud type.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Greg Proops is more the old man enunciates at a cloud type

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Tr33 posted:

Really Greg Proops? I never really listned to his podcast but he never struck me as the old man yells a cloud type.

Greg is a huge feminist liberal, so his rants are basically the anti-Cornette. Him telling stories about Negro League baseball and going to Prince concerts are way more fun, though.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 21, 2015

Tr33
May 26, 2007

SO he's like a funny version of Keith Olbermann, could be worse.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah, his political stuff can get a bit tiresome even if you agree with him (and it usually is rooted in fact and decency rather than just nonsensical ranting), but him talking about music or baseball or whatever is superb stuff.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

That's actually good to hear cuz I like Greg and was fearing there were some assbackward poo poo about him I was gonna regret liking him for like all my other wrestling and comedy heros.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Wrestling Observer Live was especially Wrestling Observer Live yesterday.

Bryan and Mike are alerted to Solo Darling's furry gimmick by the callers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Greg is a huge feminist liberal, so his rants are basically the anti-Cornette. Him telling stories about Negro League baseball and going to Prince concerts are way more fun, though.

Yeah. He's right, and I agree with him, but he's preaching to the converted. It gets tiresome hearing the 60th consecutive rant about how the greatest challenge facing humanity at this moment is gender inequality, when he hasn't told a dick joke in nearly an hour.

He doesn't even get funny with it, like when he's making fun of Sepp Blatter and FIFA or that fashion dude who has a whole apartment dedicated to his cat. He just brings it up apropos of nothing, shouts about it for a while, and...

Yeah. Anyway, it's pretty much the opposite of Cornette's rants, because at least Greg is coming from a really, really good place and it means well, but as an older comedian, he's found his go-toes, and he goes to them whenever he doesn't know what else to talk about.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
The thing with a lot of these wrestling podcasts, even JR's and other guys I actively enjoy in terms of when they were involved with my entertainment, is that I don't really give a poo poo about what they have to say about anything except wrestling. Everybody can do a podcast, all it costs is a hundred dollar mic and a computer, and I totally get why guys who are no longer involved in the actual business of wrestling would try and turn a few bucks on their own for those out there who are curious about what they have to say, but at a certain point they're just another guy. I wouldn't listen to Jim Cornette in a five minute interview about anything except wrestling, and even then, it'd have to be a subject I'm already interested in. He just sounds like a guy who enjoys his anger, and that's all cool for his life, but I don't see why anybody is paying attention to his opinions on loving Islam of all things.

The phrase '[X]'s views on [Y] have no place in [Z]' is becoming a really redundant refrain in our responses to dumb poo poo people said though.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

rovert posted:

Wrestling Observer Live was especially Wrestling Observer Live yesterday.

Bryan and Mike are alerted to Solo Darling's furry gimmick by the callers.

Mike's response to Ed from San Antonio's comment that he bought a set of Solo Darling's ears made me have to stifle a laugh at work.

Also, Jim from Virginia sounds like the kind of guy who sits across from playgrounds with binoculars.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mike said something that got edited off the replay about the ears about half an hour in. He's about to say something, there's a really obvious and awkward edit, and Bryan does his "oh, Mike, not on the radio!" routine.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Greg is a huge feminist liberal, so his rants are basically the anti-Cornette.

You seem unfamiliar with Cornette's political rants.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

You seem unfamiliar with Cornette's political rants.

For all of corny's well meaning vaguely leftist leanings, Proops has literally said that a woman can never be guilty of a crime or of doing anything wrong because her gender has been so downtrodden, it wouldn't matter what she did. Proops is ultra, ultra liberal, and Cornette is kinda left of center with some massively racist and bigoted beliefs.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

rotinaj posted:

For all of corny's well meaning vaguely leftist leanings, Proops has literally said that a woman can never be guilty of a crime or of doing anything wrong because her gender has been so downtrodden, it wouldn't matter what she did. Proops is ultra, ultra liberal, and Cornette is kinda left of center with some massively racist and bigoted beliefs.

Ultra Liberal isn't a political opinion, it's a DBZ alignment. None of these guys know jack poo poo, let's not pretend they do or bring politics into fight and fake fight entertainment.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Hating muslims aside, Cornette is pro-choice and hates rich white men. He's pretty far left especially for a wrestling guy with some unsurprising ignorance about religion/race.

edit: just don't wanna see the guy painted with a broad brush just because he's a Richard Dawkins family guy loving goon

Eleanor Pwnsevelt fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 21, 2015

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
For me anyway, I'm not even arguing against Cornette's views - myopic and prejudiced, sure. But he's a fuckin wrestling guy. He's done a good job not being an evangelist sexist homophobic racist oval office, like most of them are, but he's still just another annoying atheist oval office who doesn't need to be paid attention to. That's all I'm saying. Although this is the wrestling podcast topic, so I probably don't have a leg to stand on since Cornette is about the best you could hope for in that context, I just wish he'd shut up and talk about wrestling opinions. I want dirt sheets and that's all.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mike said something that got edited off the replay about the ears about half an hour in. He's about to say something, there's a really obvious and awkward edit, and Bryan does his "oh, Mike, not on the radio!" routine.

Mike said the ears would go well with Ed's fleshlight. It's in the podcast version.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had to stop listening to the Proopscast after the 500th rant about how voting women into all offices and legalizing weed would solve literally every problem in the world. If there was an edited version where he just talks about music or movies or whatever, I'd probably listen to that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The granny segment on the hangover show wasn't too bad, probably because drunk/hungover bryan's constant snarky comments made it listenable

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I had to stop listening to the Proopscast after the 500th rant about how voting women into all offices and legalizing weed would solve literally every problem in the world. If there was an edited version where he just talks about music or movies or whatever, I'd probably listen to that.

proops isn't that funny in his entertainment work so i wouldn't have listened to him anyway but dang, this sounds like the pits

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

epitasis posted:

i dont listen to him but im pretty sure he spent his first 10 shows thanking the lord that he wasnt in wrestling anymore

He's only out of wrestling because no promotion wants to put up with him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I mean, if you don't like his work in general, you definitely wouldn't enjoy it, but in between his political rants he usually has some good jokes, or if an actor or musician he likes dies he'll usually have some good stories about them to tell. The episode after Lou Reed died was really good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

real_slime posted:

Ultra Liberal isn't a political opinion, it's a DBZ alignment. None of these guys know jack poo poo, let's not pretend they do or bring politics into fight and fake fight entertainment.

Muscular liberalism is my wrestling gimmick.

"UNPRINCIPLED PEACE OR ELSE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tr33 posted:

That's actually good to hear cuz I like Greg and was fearing there were some assbackward poo poo about him I was gonna regret liking him for like all my other wrestling and comedy heros.

Proops is a solid podcast and I wished he enjoyed prowrestling.

he's more like the anti Joe Rogan, tho

• Locked thread