Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I don't think Luke would make a plan involving killing Han.

If he knew it NEEDED to happen in order to save countless other lives, I'm sure he'd shoulder the responsibility.

Snape did not want to kill Dumbledore, but that was a thing.

Maybe Luke is just mad his incestual fantasies were ruined by a smuggler that hit it and quit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Also what was the chest beating thing about? Stopping blood, psyching himself up?

Sith feed on pain and anger, slapping an open wound would be like a force adrenaline rush,

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Or you know, a regular adrenaline rush.

Anyone else think Ben is a bit of a weird choice for Leia and Han? I would have thought they'd go with Bail. But then people who know who Bail Organa is are a minority I'm sure. Even if he is named on screen.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else think Ben is a bit of a weird choice for Leia and Han? I would have thought they'd go with Bail. But then people who know who Bail Organa is are a minority I'm sure. Even if he is named on screen.

Destiny aside, if it weren't for old Ben Kenobi and his choice of cantina, Leia and Han would have never met.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Arglebargle III posted:

Because of Ben, Leia met her brother and got to know who her real father was. Also saved the universe a couple of times because he brought Luke (and R2) into the fold.

edit: oh yeah and Han.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Viller posted:

This deserves to be discussed more.

Everyone(the leaders) on the resistance side are old so they would remember the empire.
The implications surrounding Finn's kidnapping and the reeducation described by Phasma indicate that service in the First Order is likely more compulsory than volunteer (at least outside of the officer class).

edit: I'd be willing to bet the Empire ran a badass propaganda campaign in addition to building huge space stations, so who's to say they couldn't gin up the hearts and minds of Imperial loyalists that spit on the actions of the terrorist Rebel Alliance :v:

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's not clear to me though at what point did Luke leave, like how much time has passed?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Kylo Ren doesn't die, brutally, at the hands of Chewbacca, it'll be a travesty.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Viller posted:

Because of Ben, Leia met her brother and got to know who her real father was. Also saved the universe a couple of times because he brought Luke (and R2) into the fold.

edit: oh yeah and Han.

Oh yeah that makes sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Leia's relationship with Obi Wan Kenobi always was weird because it was never explained how she knew about him or if they had a previous relationship. Actually, they never meet in A New Hope I don't think. It goes - Rescue - Escape - Obi Wan Kenobi dies.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Leia's relationship with Obi Wan Kenobi always was weird because it was never explained how she knew about him or if they had a previous relationship. Actually, they never meet in A New Hope I don't think. It goes - Rescue - Escape - Obi Wan Kenobi dies.
Obi Wan knew her adopted father in Ep III, though, right? I remember it implying they had some kind of one-to-one relationship. I could see that being a significant influence in addition to everything else mentioned.

edit: and I completely forgot that she referenced her father and Obi in the clone wars in Ep IV in her full hologram message. drat, it's late.

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh that's right I always forget that because to me the message is always " help us".

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I always found that the most touching moment of Obi Wan's death. He's sword fighting, looks over, sees that the gang is safe, and, hey, there's Leia - Sorry I can't say hello. I'm a bit occupied with my plan totally working - A brief glance at each other, and then he's dead.

edit; word choice

edit 2; I guess he's also glancing at Luke. That rascal!

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 21, 2015

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Arglebargle III posted:

That's cool I thought you were being snarky for some reason.

Well he says as much, and actually he doesn't lie to the heroes as far as I can remember. Dooku's underdevelopment is a problem with the movie. When people say "the lightsaber fights were bland and uninteresting" it's hard to tell what they mean because it comes out as "the lightsaber fights were bad and bad" but I think what's actually going on is that the movie has failed to characterize Dooku or make it clear why we want our heroes to prevent him from escaping. The RLM reviews pick up on this but it's lost in a feature-length diatribe that fails to distinguish between major flaws and dumb nitpicks for the uncritical viewer.

They need to prevent him from escaping to figure out the Sith plot, but Obi-Wan has already revealed the first pieces of the Sith plot and refused to believe it and Anakin is just a quivering pile of teenage angst and battle fury so the heroes are already forgetting why they got into this fight. (Which goes along perfectly with Palpatine's plans.) It's an important part of the story, since the Clone Wars are a quagmire that will break the Jedi and the Republic and it's important that the Jedi stumble into it without a clear understanding of what's happening, but it's not conveyed very clearly by that fight. The breakneck pace of a fairly nuanced plot is a problem.

Watching this clip and the one where Dooku interrogates Kenobi shows there was an opening to really make Dooku a tragic character but the direction and acting is so bungled it's impossible. This dude is actually honest when he says the Republic is irretrievably corrupt, the Jedi Order can't see what's going on, and he needs help in taking down Palpatine (who he's evidently ambivalent about even if he's being trained by him). Christopher Lee is kinda sadly flat in both of his appearances, and gets disposed of pretty quickly (though memorably) in ROTS.

Also because his name is ludicrously stupid, even by Star Wars, its hard to take him seriously.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It's not clear to me though at what point did Luke leave, like how much time has passed?

it wasnt made especially clear but Kylo would have had to been old enough to pull off his slaughter, and in the flashback surrounded by bodies he was fully grown, so even if he was an early bloomer thats 15+ years after endor (depending on when Han and Leia got frisky but if death star fireworks dont set the mood not much will). So roughly.. 1 to 1.5 decades about?

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 21, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it was just the name of a janitor at the hospital where Han and Leia had him

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm wondering if Disney is going to remake the prequels and then re-touchup the special edition original movies to fit in line with them. Star Wars is never going to stop and they are going to need as much material as they can to keep the money furnaces going. Seems to me that redoing the prequels is completely safe, nuke them and start over. Going this route comes with a poo poo-ton of drama by default that could probably turn into a massive ball of hype maybe even rivaling TFA, and you get three guaranteed blockbusters that most people will claim are fantastic over their replacements.
It's like weird inverse of how Hollywood remakes classics like Robocop or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in that I can't possibly see how they could fail.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I think it was just the name of a janitor at the hospital where Han and Leia had him

"You delivered our baby! Thank you so much doctor, we dont even know your name! What wing do you work in?!"
"Sanitation"

e.

KakerMix posted:

I'm wondering if Disney is going to remake the prequels and then re-touchup the special edition original movies to fit in line with them. Star Wars is never going to stop and they are going to need as much material as they can to keep the money furnaces going. Seems to me that redoing the prequels is completely safe, nuke them and start over. Going this route comes with a poo poo-ton of drama by default that could probably turn into a massive ball of hype maybe even rivaling TFA, and you get three guaranteed blockbusters that most people will claim are fantastic over their replacements.
It's like weird inverse of how Hollywood remakes classics like Robocop or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in that I can't possibly see how they could fail.

remaking the prequels is wierd but they do have the entirety of history before them to work with, Old Republic stuff could be really cool.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I doubt they'll remake the prequels, because while there is a decent story to salvage it is a ton of work and way riskier than exploring new ground and just pretending they didn't happen.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
So with the First Order openly attacking the Republic, the next movie should just have two factions now right? No more need for secret resistances and all that crap, just Republic vs. First Order I hope.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wank posted:

One other interesting thing is that all of the First Order are very young. Either they can only recruit people who don't remember the Galactic Civil War or said war completely wiped out a generation of people sympathetic to them.

The Palpatine Youth moment was quite successful.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

Hollismason posted:

There has not been anything that specific, but "The Star Wars sequel trilogy is an upcoming film trilogy that begins approximately thirty years after the ending of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi." So, there's the start of things progressing. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I can't get over how great Daisy Ridley's performance is in this movie. There were so many great acting moments or great deliveries of lines. Here's some off the top of my head:

-The look of anger on her face when she yells at the alien to release BB-8
-The goofy moment of her chomping away at her dinner and popping the X wing helmet on her head
-"Luke Skywalker?! I thought he was a myth!"
-"That one is garbage!"
-"I bypassed the motivator!"
-"Afraid.......that you'll never be as powerful as DARTH VADER!"
-That look of fear on her face when Ren holds his saber up to her neck.

There are quite a few others but daaaaaamn does she just ooze charisma.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mahoning posted:

I can't get over how great Daisy Ridley's performance is in this movie. There were so many great acting moments or great deliveries of lines. Here's some off the top of my head:

Agree, she completely sold me on her role as soon as she put on that Rogue pilot helmet and acted a little goofy after being so tough the whole scene before. Ridley rules.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Agree, she completely sold me on her role as soon as she put on that Rogue pilot helmet and acted a little goofy after being so tough the whole scene before. Ridley rules.

That sequence's bread making moment delighted me way more than it should have. It was such a nice special effects grace note.

Also, homemade rebel pilot doll on her shelf.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What would be kind of a cool way to play with the old prophecy is if Luke is in fact the last Jedi, but that doesn't mean you can't have some other new group that also has cool lightsabers and a noble purpose and secular Buddhism and stuff. At the same time, "the Jedi" are a pretty fixed object in culture now, so they'd really have to have a big run-up to it. But maybe they laid some groundwork here.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mahoning posted:

-The look of anger on her face when she yells at the alien to release BB-8
-The goofy moment of her chomping away at her dinner and popping the X wing helmet on her head
-"Luke Skywalker?! I thought he was a myth!"
-"That one is garbage!"
-"I bypassed the motivator!"
-"Afraid.......that you'll never be as powerful as DARTH VADER!"
-That look of fear on her face when Ren holds his saber up to her neck.

Her stare of helpless anger at fat junker guy who was ripping her off was pretty good too. Ridley emotes really well and says a lot without any spoken dialogue.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

First viewing, when Rey looks at the old woman cleaning some part, I though she was studying the woman's cleaning technique or trying to figure out if the part was special. On second viewing, I realize Rey's simply thinking, "poo poo, is that me in a few decades?"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chappers posted:

On second viewing, I realize Rey's simply thinking, "poo poo, is that me in a few decades?"

Yeah, that was a great little moment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the little x-wing pilot doll in Rey's room

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There's also the direct parallels of Rey being a lowly subsistence farmer on a desert planet and longing to be a part of the resistance. There's no way she's not she-Luke.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't know why, but my favorite part of Rey's day to day on Jakku was the scene where she makes bread for her weird gummy rations. Its the little things in this movie that are sticking with me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Apparently Poe died in an earlier version of the script?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I don't know why, but my favorite part of Rey's day to day on Jakku was the scene where she makes bread for her weird gummy rations. Its the little things in this movie that are sticking with me.

I dunno man, maybe it's because I do a lot of baking in real life, but that bread was a more legit 'HOLY poo poo SCIENCE FICTION' moment for me than nearly any sci-fi film for decades. Like, that poo poo was technomagical.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Chappers posted:

First viewing, when Rey looks at the old woman cleaning some part, I though she was studying the woman's cleaning technique or trying to figure out if the part was special. On second viewing, I realize Rey's simply thinking, "poo poo, is that me in a few decades?"

That's exactly how it went for me too. First viewing I was just like huh that was weird, second I was like oh wait of course a vision of the dark future awaiting her. They found a drat fine actor in Daisy, and all of the new younger cast were really good. I can't pick a fave between Daisy and Boyega, so I'll just put them both in the #1 spot and put Driver at a fairly close second place.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Apparently Poe died in an earlier version of the script?

Yep, the first plan was for him to die in the tie fighter crash, but they liked Isaac so they gave him more to do later. That's why he just pops up at the first big fight with no explanation, and when he's asked how he survived he just says "I got ejected somewhere else, woke up that night, made my way back to the resistance." Hell of an ejector to pop him straight out of his jacket.

They made the right call, and it would've been a bit odd to do his story another way since it's a decent surprise to see him pop back from the dead and dust 10 ties and 5 stormtroopers in literally 30 seconds.

Aaronicon posted:

I dunno man, maybe it's because I do a lot of baking in real life, but that bread was a more legit 'HOLY poo poo SCIENCE FICTION' moment for me than nearly any sci-fi film for decades. Like, that poo poo was technomagical.

I flipped out a bit over the bread quite a bit when I saw it the first time. It's just one of many nice little touches that they can do now that they have the tech to do basically anything using CGI, practical effects, or a combo of the two. It's crazy Star Wars technology, of course they have instant bread from a pouch. I also really loved the lightsaber effects, yes giving off light won't match with previous movies but here's the thing, I don't care about that at all because it's rad as hell, and then they even have snowflakes instantly melting on them and crazy sparks when they hit each other and I'm just grinning like a kid.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 21, 2015

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I could definitely see them running Kylo through a redemption arc.

I can't really see Kylo ending up in any position to keep his arms connected to his body, redeemed or not, in a universe where Chewie's still alive.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Was there any sort of canon reason the Resistance wasnt using Y-Wings (which are heavy loving bombers) to bomb the Starkiller Base or are X-Wings multi purpose now?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

dmboogie posted:

I can't really see Kylo ending up in any position to keep his arms connected to his body, redeemed or not, in a universe where Chewie's still alive.

Kylo being the guy to finally get an arm ripped off by Chewie would be great, even better if he just comes back with a robotic arm. I hadn't really thought of it before, but Chewie's arc will be interesting in episodes 8 and 9. I expect he'll just cruise around with Rey, but you would think that he'd be out to avenge Han, even if the guy who killed him was Han's son.' I'd have to imagine he's the next most likely major character to die, though I could see R2D2 being a casualty as well. I don't think we'll make it two more movies without someone else we care about dying.

It wouldn't make sense for the character, but it would have been hilarious if as soon as Han died he just dropped everything, went back to the Falcon, and flew straight back to his home since the life debt was up and he takes that poo poo literally.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

SalTheBard posted:

Was there any sort of canon reason the Resistance wasnt using Y-Wings (which are heavy loving bombers) to bomb the Starkiller Base or are X-Wings multi purpose now?

Y-Wings were already outdated by the end of the Clone Wars. The only reason the Rebellion used them is because they were cheap and (relatively) reliable. The X-Wings were always meant to be their replacement, being as-good a bomber but massively more competent as a general fighter role (and then were replaced in that role largely by A-Wings, and then the bombing duties shifting over to the B-Wing, so I guess the real question is why didn't we see those, although again we only see what the Resistance uses, not the Republic, so who knows.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

SalTheBard posted:

The republic fleet was mentioned once or twice, in some of the Force Awakens books it is mentioned that the Resistance was a private militia, smaller and faster to react to events since Leia felt the Republic could take too long to respond to a crisis. I'm sure the republic wasn't 100% disarmed but the "big fleet" was thrown into disarray when starkiller base exploded their HQ.

I heard rumblings of a larger fleet battle in an earlier version of the story, I wonder if it got caught because JJ felt it wasn't critical to the key story.

• Locked thread