Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
My least favorite part of Terraria is how many of the later bosses all but require skyways to beat without minmaxing or being really good at doing precision projectile dodging.

I don't want to be able to facetank the bosses with impunity, but I'd rather not have to survive a several minute long battle without taking more than a few hits ever. Of course I'm also not terribly good at precision projectile dodging, so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The problem is when you get enormous clusters of projectiles (many that have at least partial homing) instead of patterns you have to learn and account for. Eye of Cthulhu is tough without the right equipment but you can learn its attacks and methods and compensate. Some of the later bosses, conversely, feel like bullet hell in a game that doesn't give you enough mobility to handle something like that. The Moon Lord has distinct patterns, but he's firing off three at a time and many of them are totally cluttered or involve heavily seeking projectiles or it's that goddamn laser sweep, so rather than preparing and compensating for each pattern while still trying to keep up damage, the whole fight becomes just a clusterfuck.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Surprise T Rex posted:

Been playing (for the first time) on Expert with a friend, and somehow we've made it to Hard mode.

I got Golden Shower to kill the Destroyer, since that's recommended everywhere... but as far as I could see it was doing 1-2 damage per hit on him, when I tried - Is there something I've missed?

Do I just need to get some +magic damage items or something to bypass some kind of defence threshold?

Get a Stormbow from a Hallowed Mimic and make some holy arrows. Destroyer will go down fast.

For the Moonlord, an asphalt skyway with your spawn and the nurse at one end. Use the mirror to warp back when you're hurt. Use a vortex beater and chlorophyte bullets. Make solar wings with your first luminite and you'll have the ascent speed needed to dodge the death laser.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
use holy arrows on destroyer, it not only multihits the segments but kills most of the probes before they can get to you
destroyer first is good because souls of might make the most helpful weapons for early hard mode.

if you min max with a solar flair you can fight Moose Lord in a little box around you, though you have to build it precisely, I don't exactly remember what I did it's been a while.
E: Wait, it's on expert? And this is your first time? Nvm, then, you're effed.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Bluemillion posted:

Get a Stormbow from a Hallowed Mimic and make some holy arrows. Destroyer will go down fast.

For the Moonlord, an asphalt skyway with your spawn and the nurse at one end. Use the mirror to warp back when you're hurt. Use a vortex beater and chlorophyte bullets. Make solar wings with your first luminite and you'll have the ascent speed needed to dodge the death laser.

Doesn't moon lord teleport to your location when you use the mirror, getting your nurse killed?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Lobsterpillar posted:

Doesn't moon lord teleport to your location when you use the mirror, getting your nurse killed?

He does teleport, but your nurse probably won't die if you start running again fast enough. Master Ninja Gear or the Chthulu shield charge helps get you back up to max speed. The nurse can also heal herself.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hallowed mimics are loving terrifying on expert.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you keep a dutchman around after a pirate invasion and never kill it, can you get the drops from the pirates it spawns?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Won't it try to flee once the invasion is over?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think a simple arena (like one screen above the ground for the destroyer, a couple of heart statues on timers) is way better than any skybridge for most hardmode bosses. I dunno if this applies to expert though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Blackheart posted:

I think a simple arena (like one screen above the ground for the destroyer, a couple of heart statues on timers) is way better than any skybridge for most hardmode bosses. I dunno if this applies to expert though.

Well, the skybridge is mostly for The Twins. Although I prefer gravitation potions for them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For normal twins, you can just use your wings and vault over terrain to fight them. For expert, you want a sky railway.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

For normal twins, you can just use your wings and vault over terrain to fight them. For expert, you want a sky railway.

You can just use Gravitation Potions on Expert quite fine. A Clockwork Assault Rifle and some stacks of Cursed Bullets and probably at least two if not three gravitation potions make it pretty simple.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So, apparently this game is still under active development and PC gamepad support was just announced: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pc-is-getting-controller-support.39954/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That's pretty cool since I way prefer controllers over KB&M.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone happen to have an extra copy of Terraria lying about they'd be willing to trade?

Trying to get a friend to play it, and it's not worth throwing $10 at right now since it goes on sale so often and for so cheap (hell, it'll probably end up in this Steam sale within the next couple of days). I've a handful of games in my Steam inventory, and a TON of cards et al. if you wish to peruse for a solid trade:

steamcommunity.com/id/earthbounddx

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've got a request, does anyone have a link to a video, or have a video of, the sequence after you kill the final Pillar when Impending Doom Approaches, with the music warbliness and video blurriness/desaturating, followed by the Moon Lord showing up? I want to show a friend that specific scene, as it's one of my favorite moments in the game, but all the videos I'm finding have some lovely, often british, person overacting a gimmick with the audio muted/super quiet on the video itself.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I've got a request, does anyone have a link to a video, or have a video of, the sequence after you kill the final Pillar when Impending Doom Approaches, with the music warbliness and video blurriness/desaturating, followed by the Moon Lord showing up? I want to show a friend that specific scene, as it's one of my favorite moments in the game, but all the videos I'm finding have some lovely, often british, person overacting a gimmick with the audio muted/super quiet on the video itself.

You can use a Celestial Sigil to summon the moon lord at any time, which also starts with the minute long "Impending Doom" blur.

There's this one with a bit of text at the bottom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9AyUPsGYs

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to get this for my 3DS. What's not in exactly? I've been looking for a parity list, but it's not on the wiki. Am I really missing out? I know they plan to get the 1.3 content onto consoles eventually, but I'm not sure how long I should wait.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

I want to get this for my 3DS. What's not in exactly? I've been looking for a parity list, but it's not on the wiki. Am I really missing out? I know they plan to get the 1.3 content onto consoles eventually, but I'm not sure how long I should wait.

IIRC the console versions have their own separate endgame content and are still missing some of the 1.2.x content, with 1.3 still in the distant future. 1.3 is a sweeping update to all levels of play, with 3 new biomes, new things to fish for, minecarts, several new events, improvements to old ones, and Expert Mode. 1.2 will have taken nearly 3 years to implement on consoles. 1.3 is just as big.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 1, 2016

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

I want to get this for my 3DS. What's not in exactly? I've been looking for a parity list, but it is not on the wiki. Am I really missing out? I know they plan to get the 1.3 content onto consoles eventually, but I'm not sure how long I should wait.

I bought the 3DS version and really, really wish I hadn't. It's a buggy piece of crap with lockups and missing items. The worlds are "smaller than small" which comes with a whole host of biome problems, like never recognizing the aboveground but not sky biome in various circumstances so certain enemies won't spawn. I can't tell you how much time and how many worlds I created trying to find flippers, they apparently just aren't there. Oh, and it takes an amazingly long time to save, which makes sense given how much data it's dumping to an SD card, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

Here is the bug thread on their official forums, and it's already 75 pages long. I strongly recommend just avoiding it.

I started playing it early February, meaning after the patch, and while I indeed didn't experience the problems that are checked off there, it was still pretty aggravating.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 8, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ali Aces posted:

I bought the 3DS version and really, really wish I hadn't. It's a buggy piece of crap with lockups and missing items. The worlds are "smaller than small" which comes with a whole host of biome problems, like never recognizing the aboveground but not sky biome in various circumstances so certain enemies won't spawn. I can't tell you how much time and how many worlds I created trying to find flippers, they apparently just aren't there.

Here is the bug thread on their official forums, and it's already 75 pages long. I strongly recommend just avoiding it.

I was actually thinking about getting that; thank you for sparing me the misery. I've avoided all of the non-PC versions mostly because, quite frankly, none of them seem to be able to hold a candle to the original.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

I was actually thinking about getting that; thank you for sparing me the misery. I've avoided all of the non-PC versions mostly because, quite frankly, none of them seem to be able to hold a candle to the original.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy playing it on the PS3, and the 3DS version is similar but not quite the same - basically the console release with a couple mobile-exclusives added in. I just think the 3DS hardware has a real hard time handling it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just started playing the Xbox 360 version.

Any good newbie tips for the console version? I've built a small shelter that my Guide has moved in to, and I've scraped together some Lead, and made a nice sword.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just started playing the Xbox 360 version.

Any good newbie tips for the console version? I've built a small shelter that my Guide has moved in to, and I've scraped together some Lead, and made a nice sword.

Keep doing that, basically. You will get more NPCs as you fulfill various conditions, but only if you have free housing for them. Make armor and weapons, and when you get strong enough the game will send a boss after you if you don't summon it yourself.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I found one of those corrupt areas in my game. (the reddish bloody one, not the purple one). Should I be worried about trying to contain it?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

I found one of those corrupt areas in my game. (the reddish bloody one, not the purple one). Should I be worried about trying to contain it?
I'd say as a precautionary measure, you could block it above ground with sunflowers or a 3x3 block buffer of mud, or splurge on a lot of Purification Powder from the Dryad. The Crimson (which is what you have) and Corruption only really start spreading exponentially in hardmode, but even then you can purchase a tool from a hardmode NPC that clears most of it with relatively little effort.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Mud isn't sufficient forever though. I'd recommend wood, clay, or any kind of manufactured block like bricks. For real though, until you reach hard mode you probably don't need to worry about containing the stuff.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

Unless you have the game on idle constantly for days on end or your base is only a few tiles away from it there's really no need to bother.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I usually throw up a wall so the monsters can't chase me out of it, but other than that I agree with the above.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Any advice on how to deal with harpies? I've been searching for sky islands in order to find a horseshoe, and these bastards keep swarming me before I can finish my rope / bridge to the island.

Will the potions that reveal where ores are also show the ore on sky islands? Seems like it would make it easier to find them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Zombie Guy posted:

Any advice on how to deal with harpies? I've been searching for sky islands in order to find a horseshoe, and these bastards keep swarming me before I can finish my rope / bridge to the island.

Will the potions that reveal where ores are also show the ore on sky islands? Seems like it would make it easier to find them.

I don't think floating islands have any ore.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think floating islands have any ore.
They can have a few pockets.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think floating islands' ambient light is already high enough to see ore from outside. Though you should be able to tell by looking. If the center of a floating island is blacked out, a potion would likely help spot ores.

Any kind of good ranged weapon will easily take care of a harpy. If you have the jumping power to get up to a floating island without extensive building (i.e. multiple jumps/jet boots) most Harpy attacks should be easy to avoid. Just if feathers are flying in from above or below, make sure to sidestep instead of jumping. Not sure what else to say because I never had a big issue with them.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

The Zombie Guy posted:

That potion wouldn't help too much, by the time you can see the glow from the potion, you'd already be able to see the island.

My preferred method of finding floating islands is a few gravitation potions, and a pile of rope to create an easy way back up to one once you find one.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

My gear is pretty limited at the moment. My strategies for locating flying islands has consisted of:

A) Building a tower of stone straight up, and then building bridges horizontally until rear end in a top hat harpies swarm me from above and below.

B) Building straight up with rope until I get swarmed by rear end in a top hat harpies who knock me off the rope.

I just want a drat horseshoe. :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My personal strategy:
Wait until you have any boots that boost run speed, chug a gravitation potion, run until you get at full speed, then flip upside down and keep running. Once you get so high the background starts to darken, flip again, back to normal. Keep running so that you maintain your horizontal speed, and keep flipping so you stay around the altitude at which the sky just begins to darken, at the edge of space. This is where floating islands spawn. If you keep running and tapping up to flip and stay at that general height, you'll cover the entire map at that height rather quickly and be able to spot any floating islands along the way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make some Meteor bullets and walk along firing them straight up until you hear a ricochet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Download and open up TEdit and find them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Download and open up TEdit and find them that way.

I'm playing on console.

My search for flying islands has been temporarily halted, due to an attack from Chthulu's eye. Fucker caught me unprepared and took me out.
Will it come after me again on its own, or will I have to summon it back? I've prepared a well-lit battlefield, and made a ton of flaming arrows.