Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

Ok well I'm stumped now, you've got me confused. Let me get back to you tomorrow after I've stood in front of some moving traffic to see which hurts more.

The number bicycle adovcacy groups use is the likelihood of getting hit in the first place. The safe number is 40km/h. Faster than that and the chance of suffering severe injury/death rises to almost 100% past 60km/h. The question of which kind of vehicle hurts more is so unimportant no one taking action on this issue really cares. It's like asking if you'd rather be eaten by ants or lions; uh, neither?

OK, I think you've misunderstood me. There is a substantial difference in the chance of killing a pedestrian based on vehicle type. So do you agree that your thesis of "cyclists cause less harm when they break road rules so should pay lower fines" should be extended to cars and trucks as well as they cause differing amounts if harm when breaking road rules as well. I'm not saying you are wrong it's fine to hold that view I'm just not sure how far you hold it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Let's just make it simple,
Good: Cyclists, Pedestrians
gently caress off: the rest of youse

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

hooman posted:

OK, I think you've misunderstood me. There is a substantial difference in the chance of killing a pedestrian based on vehicle type. So do you agree that your thesis of "cyclists cause less harm when they break road rules so should pay lower fines" should be extended to cars and trucks as well as they cause differing amounts if harm when breaking road rules as well. I'm not saying you are wrong it's fine to hold that view I'm just not sure how far you hold it?

I think it's because I'm proposing an ideology of bicycle supremacy, at least in the city and suburbs. And while I realise ideology based arguments are lost when they're begun I feel comfortable doing so because it's not a fringe opinion.

Allowing for a sliding scale of fines based on potential damage by weight that includes the bicycle assumes that the bicycle is similar enough to cars and trucks that they can be included in that category. If you want to see cars off the road then this system won't help.

If, however, we would like to see a way of discouraging injury caused by bicycles then we could instead modify the road design to encourage safe riding, as opposed to currently where the roads are too unsafe to ride even while following the road rules.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Entertainment, Hospitality and Retail. Utterly no surprises here.

What counts as Entertainment? I work in the TV industry in a relatively well paid job but I work late nights and weekends and very much depend on penalty rates. I mean obviously I don't want anybody's rates to be cut, but it's this kind of thing that makes me realise that so many people see the penalty rate thing as just about casual jobs vs. frontline ambos/firies/cops. There's an awful lot of other jobs that get (and depend on) penalty rates as well.

I have faith, anyway; the government was already skittish today about endorsing the report and Turnbull has repeatedly said he'd take something like that to an election if it came to it. Polling shows that the majority of Australians (and even a majority of Liberal voters) support the current system. I would hope that enough people, and particularly enough swing voters, would have kids or friends who work in those sectors for it to be a dealbreaking issue for them. Howard didn't fare too well when he tried to tamper with workers' rights.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

asio posted:

I think it's because I'm proposing an ideology of bicycle supremacy, at least in the city and suburbs. And while I realise ideology based arguments are lost when they're begun I feel comfortable doing so because it's not a fringe opinion.

Allowing for a sliding scale of fines based on potential damage by weight that includes the bicycle assumes that the bicycle is similar enough to cars and trucks that they can be included in that category. If you want to see cars off the road then this system won't help.

If, however, we would like to see a way of discouraging injury caused by bicycles then we could instead modify the road design to encourage safe riding, as opposed to currently where the roads are too unsafe to ride even while following the road rules.

That's cool, I wasn't trying to have a go at you, just trying to understand your thinking. I'm a cyclist too. I just think that road rules should apply to all road users. In a strictly ideological sense of bigger penalties for less efficient transportation measures with reduced penalties for carpools and things I probably agree.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

open24hours posted:

I wonder if distance is the best measure to compare car and motorcycle deaths to walking and cycling. Time traveling might be better, walking and cycling are slow so you spend more time exposed to risk per kilometre traveled.

given the majority of trips taken are to get from one place to another place, distance seems a good metric to use.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If the ALP loses an election on reduced penality rates then I don't know what hope this country has anymore.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

If the ALP loses an election on reduced penality rates then I don't know what hope this country has anymore.

Why? It will only be poor people who work retail or clean my workplace who will miss out, not me.

That's right.

gently caress you, got mine.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
As a person who works hospitality and doesn't have a normal social life because of it, my most sincere gently caress you and I hope you get lovely service/all your food comes out wrong or burnt!!!!!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

come down to your local rsl for spit in your food sundays!

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
If people don't want to pay penalty rates they should just make people permanent part time employeehahahahahhahahaha nobody's ever going to have a permanent job ever again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've noticed for years that all the crappy jobs I did when I was young/at uni now seem to be staffed mainly by people in their forties and fifties.

Servos, restaurants and retail are all filled with people who discovered there simply aren't jobs going anymore. All the traditional options are getting thinner on the ground unless you're in a professional career and, even then, you better hope it's not one about to be outsourced.

So many still have that old mindset of hard work gets you there, be loyal to the company and they'll do right by you - all that "meat and veg morality" that just gets you nowhere anymore.

One day I hope they all wake the hell up and stop voting LNP :(

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 21, 2015

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Cartoon posted:

Entertainment, Hospitality and Retail. Utterly no surprises here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-21/productivity-commission-recommends-changes-to-penalty-rates/7045624

So typical Tory small target strategy. Strip Entertainment, Hospitality and Retail workers of their rights because who the gently caress cares about those tossers. Two tiered IR landscapes are the utter death of egalitarianism. This is the thin edge of a very loving nasty wedge.

-/-

Here's a piece on our tax dilema from Ian Verrender.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-21/verrender-how-our-tax-take-has-been-royally-scrooged/7044470

-/-

Speaking of the ALP (Well if I don't nobody will). What ever happened to darling of the left Doug Cameron? He's a shadow minister but I haven't heard squat from him.

All Doug Cameron has been doing for the past few weeks is attacking the Greens. He said something to the effect of them being lucifer or making a deal with lucifer lol. From the man who voted to lock up and torture kids then voted to arrest anyone speaking out about it.

Not surprised at all they are once again going after the penalty rates of the poorest paid shift workers. The way things are going all we can hope for is that the Libs don't get a majority in the senate I guess.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've noticed for years that all the crappy jobs I did when I was young/at uni now seem to be staffed mainly by people in their forties and fifties.

Servos, restaurants and retail are all filled with people who discovered there simply aren't jobs going anymore. All the traditional options are getting thinner on the ground unless you're in a professional career and, even then, you better hope it's not one about to be outsourced.

So many still have that old mindset of hard work gets you there, be loyal to the company and they'll do right by you - all that "meat and veg morality" that just gets you nowhere anymore.

I've voted Labor and I've voted Dems, but you have my assurance I've never voted LNP.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Starshark posted:

I've voted Labor and I've voted Dems, but you have my assurance I've never voted LNP.

Meet half way and vote Liberal Democrats?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

This was never a thing. It's an extension of the protestant work ethic co-opted by capitalists to make their workers feel like there is some pride to be had in working your hands to the bone to make money for someone else. As much as it might not seem like it, you still have a better chance of getting out of the working class now than you did then.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

As much as it might not seems like it, you still have a better chance of getting out of the working class now than you did then.

Not as quickly though.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not as quickly though.

what happened in 1971?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Those graphs are generally based on decreasing infant mortality rates, right? Like, the average man in 1890 was not dropping dead at 47.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KennyTheFish posted:

what happened in 1971?

The two data points are 1972 and 1977, so possibly Medicare in 1975?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

freebooter posted:

Those graphs are generally based on decreasing infant mortality rates, right? Like, the average man in 1890 was not dropping dead at 47.

Part of it, this page has a lot more info (2011 is what showed up when I searched, I imagine there's a newer one somewhere):
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features10Mar+2011

In regards to the "what happened in 1971?", it's not specifically mentioned on that page, but it looks like the ever increasing death rate from circulatory disease was probably the cause for the dip. It peaked right around then before falling fast. Right at the peak, it looks like it was increasing so fast it was cancelling out the other improvements in health care that were increasing life expectancy.

I can only imagine that smoking is the cause. It looks like the first big anti-smoking pushes in Australia started in the late 60s/early 70s.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Real reason the mortaility rate dropped so much in the mid 70s: the Life Be In It campaign started in 1975.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

freebooter posted:

What counts as Entertainment?
My reading is staff working in venues like theatres and cinemas but I'm sure I heard the sound of a Seven Network Executive blowing a load when they heard it on the news feed.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 22, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Federal Anti-Environment Minister has approved the Abbot Point coal port expansion:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-22/massive-abbot-point-coal-port-expansion-gets-federal-approval/7047380

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
^OOOO OOOO OOOO I'm so very very loving shocked. Nice timing too Hunt you scum bag.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-22/federal-assistance-package-for-illawarra-steelworkers-under-fire/7047878

quote:

Federal assistance package for Illawarra steelworkers under fire By Nick McLaren Posted 45 minutes ago

With Bluescope looking to shed 500 jobs to keep the Port Kembla steelworks open back in August this year, the federal government promised financial assistance, but it didn't arrive until now. The NSW Government announced in October assistance by delaying $60-million of payroll tax for three years. Just three days before Christmas, Employment Minister Michaelia Cash has pledged a $670,000 adjustment package assisting retrenched workers make the transition to new jobs, and the reinstatement of a local employment coordinator. "This funding has been provided in what I would say is a timely manner to get them back into the workforce," Ms Cash said. But Wayne Phillips from the Australian Workers Union says most redundant workers have already made the decision to retire or they've found new jobs.

"I would say only a smaller group of younger type people who left will be looking for a role in the industry," he said. Mr Phillips is hoping assistance will be extended to two hundred or so contract workers. "Although they are not directly employed by Bluescope there were many number of contractors displaced or put out of work because of the steelworks shrinking down and cutting off work to contractors," he said. "I would think it would benefit contractors more than directly employed Bluescope employees."

CEO of the Illawarra Business Chamber, Debra Murphy, says the package is a step in the right direction, but she wants to see more emphasis on restructuring to help boost innovation in manufacturing. "What we think also needs a lot of support and help on the ground is entrepreneurial advisors," she said. "We had three of those in the region who were activily trying to help both new businesses and existing businesses to grow new products and access new markets." Secretary of the South Coast Labour Council, Arthur Rorris, has again called on Industry Minister Christopher Pyne to make a visit to the region. "We urge the government if they really want to help us out in the Illawarra to maybe get the Industry Minister Christopher Pyne to come down for a visit," he said.
Too little too late and going to the wrong people. :bravo: Michaelia you are now only almost entirely worthless.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've noticed this too, heaps of checkout operators are really old. Probably a couple of reasons, one would be the lack of better jobs around so they're forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel and do the crappy jobs formerly reserved for young people, and the other is that maybe the support services like the pension aren't sufficient any more for people to live on alone.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Employers being subsidised to employ older people might have something to do with it too.
http://www.employment.gov.au/restart

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKRQD04dviU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

You Am I posted:

The Federal Anti-Environment Minister has approved the Abbot Point coal port expansion:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-22/massive-abbot-point-coal-port-expansion-gets-federal-approval/7047380

So... what? is it going ahead? Isn't it? I keep reading articles that contradict each other; last week they were saying that it was unlikely that they would be able to secure the environmental permissions to go ahead, now they're saying it will? But before that, there were a ton of articles suggesting that financiers and banks were pulling out but now I guess they've secured the capital? And then there was the environmental impact to a species of skink that made Abbott want to change the requirements to get environmental approval but I thought changes to those laws weren't passed yet?

Is there any one source that documents all the different threats to this expansion to date and how each were resolved? Does it look like, in the end, its going to go through? Because the series of articles that have pre-dated this news article implied strongly that all of these problems, in aggregate, were insurmountable but now this article says, nope, it's going ahead.

It's so confusing and I thought I was relatively well-read on this expansion.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Whether or not it goes ahead, when a major project flip-flops this much you can bet it's going to be a disaster. Usually if a big project makes a good amount of business sense, it gets rubber stamped through.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Serrath posted:

So... what? is it going ahead? Isn't it? I keep reading articles that contradict each other; last week they were saying that it was unlikely that they would be able to secure the environmental permissions to go ahead, now they're saying it will? But before that, there were a ton of articles suggesting that financiers and banks were pulling out but now I guess they've secured the capital? And then there was the environmental impact to a species of skink that made Abbott want to change the requirements to get environmental approval but I thought changes to those laws weren't passed yet?

Is there any one source that documents all the different threats to this expansion to date and how each were resolved? Does it look like, in the end, its going to go through? Because the series of articles that have pre-dated this news article implied strongly that all of these problems, in aggregate, were insurmountable but now this article says, nope, it's going ahead.

It's so confusing and I thought I was relatively well-read on this expansion.

You might be confused because the Abbot Point Coal Terminal is a separate but semi-connected project to Adani Coal Mine (which itself is probably broken up into a bunch of different but connected projects)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Going to ask the NSW government for a grant to develop https://www.noice.com.au as part of their anti-drugs strategy

What do we say to drugs? NoIce

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Moody's looks like downgrading Abbot Point / Adani because coal is doing so poo poo in the market.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Why is it up to random bloggers to unearth astroturfing organisations like the Amy Gillett Foundation instead of professionals working in our media?
https://medium.com/@lastwheel/foxes-in-charge-of-the-hen-house-6b503f34da15#.h9pbjxec8

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did I miss something or does that piece not offer any explanation as to why these titans of industry have conspired to stomp on the throats of cyclists?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

my stepdads beer posted:

Why is it up to random bloggers to unearth astroturfing organisations like the Amy Gillett Foundation instead of professionals working in our media?
https://medium.com/@lastwheel/foxes-in-charge-of-the-hen-house-6b503f34da15#.h9pbjxec8

Because the media are complicit in it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did I miss something or does that piece not offer any explanation as to why these titans of industry have conspired to stomp on the throats of cyclists?

I'm guessing it's mostly because the people with the money to make this poo poo happen aren't the type that would profit from cyclists. But are the types that would profit from cars.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If working full time in a 5 of 7 day roster, should penalty rates be applied to sundays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

#thereABD posted:

Woolworths targets Chinese shoppers with new online store on Tmall Global site

Supermarket giant Woolworths has joined the race to tap into the Chinese appetite for Australian products by opening an online store on Chinese website Tmall Global.

The embattled retailer took the move to defend its business after it found other retailers and individuals were selling its products through the Chinese site.

Woolworths launched the store early this month with little fanfare, selling around 80 Woolworths and branded products including powdered milk, baby formula and vitamins.

• Locked thread