Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wdymbt?Ggmn.Lnaca.Iwbniywatwioalwassmsmh.

What do you mean by this? Google gives me nothing. Likely not a common abbreviation. It would be nice if you would actually type words instead of acting like we are sending sms messages here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Fairly sure it's: "Go back to Pet Island"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Gibfender posted:

Fairly sure it's: "Go back to Pet Island"

e: Oh thanks for the category ideas, there are some good ones. I'll post a nomination thread tomorrow.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

Wdymbt?Ggmn.Lnaca.Iwbniywatwioalwassmsmh.

What do you mean by this? Google gives me nothing. Likely not a common abbreviation. It would be nice if you would actually type words instead of acting like we are sending sms messages here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1113

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Bonus combo of buying a truck/car and no longer being able to buy lunch.

- Best rationalization for still eating out for lunch every day (and picking it up in your new truck)

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

-fastest maxed out Roth IRA

Over-under on the number of 12:01 am, 1/1/2015 entries?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ChipNDip posted:

Over-under on the number of 12:01 am, 1/1/2015 entries?
Definitely still this article:
http://www.theonion.com/article/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo-37912

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When you think of the problems facing St. Louis, "lack of billion dollar stadium" isn't the top priority. It's crazy how the NFL owner strategy to get cities to pay for these boondoggles is to threaten to move to Los Angeles, and it works again and again.

Green light on $1bn St Louis Rams stadium still 'fiscally irresponsible', critics warn

quote:

The decision, which includes a $150m commitment from the city, is the latest saga in a debate over using public money to subsidize sports stadiums. At a public meeting convened by the NFL in October, a group of activists disrupted the breezy affair, arguing that a new stadium is the last thing St Louis should spend money on. The city recently overtook Detroit as the murder capital of the US, with the highest homicide total per capita in the nation.

quote:

“There’s no version of this in which the city of St Louis is spending a billion dollars on anything,” French said, adding in a remark that stung critics of the financing package: “We’re broke.”

quote:

“I”m going to have to stand up here in support of [the city] comptroller’s very clear warnings of the financial pitfalls in this project,” Spencer, who opposed the deal, said. “This is a 15% subsidy to a $100bn industry, the NFL; to a team owner who has a net personal worth of $6.3bn.”

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Don't try pointing out how stupid public funding is for stadiums in SAS, though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Remember that texas high school football stadium that cost 60 million? That's a pretty impressive BWM...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Remember that texas high school football stadium that cost 60 million? That's a pretty impressive BWM...

Haha oh man $60 Million Texas High School Stadium Deemed Unsafe for Football

quote:

One of the most expensive high school football stadiums in America — a $60 million behemoth in Texas — will be closed this fall because the concrete is cracking, and a report commissioned by the school district says it may not have been designed to code.

quote:

The company that designed it first said that the concrete was probably cracking because of “natural shrinkage” in the Texas humidity, said Tim Carroll, a spokesman for the district.

But early findings of the report commissioned by the district suggest that the concourse is not strong enough to meet the building code. In some spots, the concourse exceeds the capacity allowed by the code by 70 percent, the findings say.

“These are not ‘near misses,’ in many areas,” lawyers for the school district wrote to the design and construction companies, according to a letter provided to NBC News on Tuesday by the district. The lawyers cited “construction failures” that exacerbated “already deficient design.”

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
That sounds reasonable. Other people's money - who gives a gently caress! My city is dealing with road surface deficiencies due to design and implementation - city is eating the cost. Same with a glass roof and rotting beams in a 'park'... Great work, both for review and sign off of plans and the companies for scamming the city and getting away with it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I thought SAS pretty much acknowledges that football is a corrupt bloodsport but has pretty much resigned themselves to the idea that it's never going to get any better

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Am I bad with money?

In Australia employers must contribute to your retirement account to the tune of 9.5% of your salary, (on top of take-home pay). I've recently made the decision to salary sacrifice, (take money pre-tax) and put it in my retirement account as well so I have 15.5% of my salary going in there.

I guess I'm questioning this decision lately because I've bought into the fear that:

1. I can't access this money until I'm 60. (I'm 28).

2. Could I do any better with the money now?

I certainly don't need the cash, my wife and I are well off financially. I just think it's better if I put that money in now so I don't have to worry about it later on when we retire.

Any thoughts? Should I keep that money and invest it elsewhere instead? Certainly the way I'm doing it now is a tax advantage.

Edit: I should say the amount I'm putting away is $400 pre-tax. My take home pay is reduced by a little over 200 a month?

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 21, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
15.5% into retirement just means you can carry on your lifestyle when you retire. It's enough not to end up completely hosed.

Often people are told to save 10%-15% of gross pay and for a number of people that will be mostly post tax dollars. So that 6% of your pay that you're saving means you're out of pocket by $200 but where else are you going to turn $200 into $400 instantly? That's a 100% immediate gain and then compounding growth for 32 years, no other investment is going to compete with that.

The money is better in the fund and depending on the fund it might outperform you anyway. Keep doing what you're doing, but to be a BFC superstar you would need to invest more money on top of the Australian Super. The real decision is how long you want to be dependent on working. If you just want to retire at 60 blow the rest of your take home pay. Otherwise invest more outside of the Super scheme.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Devian666 posted:

15.5% into retirement just means you can carry on your lifestyle when you retire. It's enough not to end up completely hosed.

Often people are told to save 10%-15% of gross pay and for a number of people that will be mostly post tax dollars. So that 6% of your pay that you're saving means you're out of pocket by $200 but where else are you going to turn $200 into $400 instantly? That's a 100% immediate gain and then compounding growth for 32 years, no other investment is going to compete with that.

The money is better in the fund and depending on the fund it might outperform you anyway. Keep doing what you're doing, but to be a BFC superstar you would need to invest more money on top of the Australian Super. The real decision is how long you want to be dependent on working. If you just want to retire at 60 blow the rest of your take home pay. Otherwise invest more outside of the Super scheme.

Oh, definitely saving and investing more outside of super.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh, definitely saving and investing more outside of super.

For other investments make sure you read The Four Pillars of Investing (linked in the retirement thread). Then get a diverse number of asset classes in your porfolio and set it up for growth.

Once you've done that you may want to get financial advice for minimising tax, and possibly converting taxable income into tax free capital growth.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget superannuation has tax benefits, and don't fall into common traps like having multiple funds or paying for life insurance policies you don't want.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Please submit your nominations for the 2015 Golden Wonderhangers

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

Am I bad with money?

In Australia employers must contribute to your retirement account to the tune of 9.5% of your salary, (on top of take-home pay). I've recently made the decision to salary sacrifice, (take money pre-tax) and put it in my retirement account as well so I have 15.5% of my salary going in there.

I guess I'm questioning this decision lately because I've bought into the fear that:

I certainly don't need the cash, my wife and I are well off financially. I just think it's better if I put that money in now so I don't have to worry about it later on when we retire.

Any thoughts? Should I keep that money and invest it elsewhere instead? Certainly the way I'm doing it now is a tax advantage.

Edit: I should say the amount I'm putting away is $400 pre-tax. My take home pay is reduced by a little over 200 a month?

I'm no expert, but as a fellow Australian of a similar age asking myself the same question now I have a house, kid and (humble brag time) managed to get into a position where we earn a decent amount more than we need, I've never seen any downside to putting extra into super (at least up to the point where you would have to pay tax on the extra contributions), lowering taxable income seems good and the only real downside seems to be that you might be able to get better results if you manage the money yourself for 30+ years, but while the returns aren't fantastic, but they're not terrible either.

Also FYI, at least at this time, the age limit is going to be 65 by the time you get there.

EDIT: And also, like anything that earns interest, it's better to put extra in early than late.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

CelestialScribe posted:

Am I bad with money?

Ho boy, yet another contender for "Worst Best Humblebrag 2015" enters the ring!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Ho boy, yet another contender for "Worst Best Humblebrag 2015" enters the ring!

Pfffft barely ranks.

I got married this year by a justice of the peace. Discuss.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Best threadshitting:content ratio

This woman quit her six-figure job to commercialize kwanzaa. In the book excerpt, white santa comes and destroys the town. Luckily equatorial-african-non-american Kwanzaa Nana comes in to save the day! Because that's relevant to this purely american holiday invented in 1966.

I should invent a holiday, that's gotta be GWM.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 21, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There was this guy that invented a game where you hit balls with your hands and it's played on a table. Can't remember what it was called but he poured a lot of money into it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Every other episode of Shark Tank / Dragon's Den?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FrozenVent posted:

Every other episode of Shark Tank / Dragon's Den?

It's like beer pong, but with wine. I call it Plonk PongTM

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There was this guy that invented a game where you hit balls with your hands and it's played on a table. Can't remember what it was called but he poured a lot of money into it.

Bulletball! He actually seems to have found his niche with disabled people and seniors.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Read this yesterday as "you hit your balls with your hands, on a table" and was sorely disappointed to read it correctly today.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I remember him pitching that on the short-lived reality show "American Inventor". The judges were as unimpressed as any normal human would be. I don't recall if they had any specific response to him spending massive amounts of money to develop a game table which is basically three pieces of wood nailed together.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There was also a game where you hit a ball off a special trampoline that was being pitched on shark tank; the guy enjoyed playing it when he was younger and he investigated the rights to it, and it turned out they had never been properly registered so he secured patents etc on a complete product essentially for free and then developed a membership association and tournament network that made a significant amount of money. The sharks liked that, pretty GWM

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Oh, reddit. From a thread OP pointing out the stupidly obvious fact that having $200 in your account when you're young is awesome, but terrifying if you're older:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/3xrmyu/having_200_in_your_bank_account_feels_amazing/cy7h0ix

quote:

25 here. Got about 200 in the bank and make just under 60k a year. Live paycheck to paycheck and I'm 12k in credit card debt. But living life to the fullest.
I should take tips from this person, because I'm clearly not living my life.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 24, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Any update on Blue Story? I can't find the thread and wanted to know if she ever stopped eating deli meat and high-sodium fast food all day.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It's in BSS because of course.

Last we heard she had gestational diabetes.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Oh, reddit. From a thread OP pointing out the stupidly obvious fact that having $200 in your account when you're thing is awesome, but terrifying if you're older:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoughts/comments/3xrmyu/having_200_in_your_bank_account_feels_amazing/cy7h0ix

I should take tips from this person, because I'm clearly not living my life.

There's something just so deeply hosed about people believing "fulfillment" lies in spending five digits of cheddar that you don't have on... 'Stuff'. Just god drat. And that's still pretty tame.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I forget if it's been brought up in this thread, but Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation is the worst with money, ever. He has a giant house and yet will only be happy if he has a huge pool taking up 80% of his backyard. Of course, in Chicago the pool will be unusable 2/3 of the year and cost a ton to maintain. But of course, it's so important to have it right the gently caress now that he puts down a deposit he doesn't have before he even gets his bonus. Because he never considered the possibility he won't get one, or that it might just be a token.

And we're supposed to feel sorry for this moron, not laugh at how bad he is with money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

I forget if it's been brought up in this thread, but Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation is the worst with money, ever. He has a giant house and yet will only be happy if he has a huge pool taking up 80% of his backyard. Of course, in Chicago the pool will be unusable 2/3 of the year and cost a ton to maintain. But of course, it's so important to have it right the gently caress now that he puts down a deposit he doesn't have before he even gets his bonus. Because he never considered the possibility he won't get one, or that it might just be a token.

And we're supposed to feel sorry for this moron, not laugh at how bad he is with money.

Or trading in a perfectly car for a Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Didn't he fly his whole family in as well for the holidays? Those movies give me hives. At least his European vacation was free.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Those movies were all about mocking the American Dream. He tears himself up trying to have the perfect home/family/vacation and all it does is cause him grief. His kids are range from indifferent to hostile and his wife kind of just tolerates all his plans.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:toot: content!

On the surface it seems like classic story of some idiot falling for some Craigslist scam and losing 5k after depositing bad cheques. But it goes much, much deeper than that, as there are a few parallel lines of crazy that are happening all at once!

quote:

My paycheck goes into my wife's account. I've been too lazy to start an account here...Bank has taken 2 paychecks in a row...So I'm getting worried and I contact payroll at work to change my direct deposit. My wife's grandma banks there and said we could use her account while we open a new one... [The bank] saw my paycheck with my name and social on it coming into their bank and took it to apply to my wife's account...Does the bank have the legal right to refuse my employers request to return my paycheck to cover a debt in someone else's name? Then are they allowed to pull my paycheck out of my grandmas account and apply it to my wife's account like they did? My name isn't on that account and it doesn't seem right to me.

After depositing bad cheques he tries to shuffle his money to another account and then wonders a) why isn't the bank being more cooperative, and then b) what is my recourse? Good start :thumbsup:

quote:

Last month a (sic) decided I needed to sell our gaming computers as we were getting a bit strapped for cash and it was coming up to the holidays...They were Alienware computers.
Well my first paycheck [the bank withheld] was $3006.97. Today's paycheck was 2847.13...So here I am going 2 consecutive weeks without a paycheck....all my bills have fallen behind.

Makes 10 grand a month but is behind on bills after only two weeks. Dumb enough to fall for babby's first scam AND has lovely taste in computers as well. Ahaha, get hosed.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's insanely weird that he doesn't have a bank account of his own, especially if he's pulling in that kind of money. Wonder what the story is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If he's making $3K/week after tax, he's grossing close to $300K. I'm not totally convinced.

• Locked thread