Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SirPenguin posted:

This would make for an interesting bet. What's more likely: Toady adds multicore support or Toady successfully talks to, courts, and eventually mates with a human female

Booo. Toady's a cool guy, don't be a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Devlog posted:

(Toady One) I fixed citizenship petitions (the non-soldier long-term residents weren't doing them properly -- mercenaries and monster slayers remain too absorbed in work to care). There was a problem with merchants that come back later elevated as fortress liaisons hanging out at the trade depot forever and ever, and that's fixed. A few more give-aways for vampires have been fixed, along with a string entry problem.

Looks like he's trying to get rid of the vampire tells.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

scamtank posted:

I don't think so. If I figure right, multithreading is one of those things that you need to lay into the foundation for it to make a real difference.

Oh god I can't even begin to imagine the hell that would be adding locks and barriers to loving everything just to get basic multithreading working.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

SirPenguin posted:

This would make for an interesting bet. What's more likely: Toady adds multicore support or Toady successfully talks to, courts, and eventually mates with a human female
Toady seems fine :shrug:

I'd hit it

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Moridin920 posted:

I wouldn't hold out much hope for that; the issue is that it tries to have 4000 trolls and 5000 goblins loaded up all at once. Even if they are just sitting still doing nothing it's a total laggy slideshow.

Let me dream, hopekiller. At least "truly unplayable lag" is on Toady's radar as an issue that needs to be addressed semi-urgently, maybe something will be done in the fixing-cycle.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SirPenguin posted:

Dude's Internet Famous, has enough cash to look good, and a PHD in mathematics. Add to that he's cute (if you're into his kinda look) and a generally nice guy I don't think he'd have too hard a time finding someone since he could basically date whenever.

I'd hit that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Toady said in an interview once the only way he could see himself getting into a relationship is if the woman came on really strong, and I doubt he even meets that many people with his intensely private family.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
TOADY CANCELS CODING - INTERRUPTED BY BOTHERSOME WOMAN

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Scamtank, I have my usual obligatory question: have you collected your tweaks and changes to a mod of your own that we could use?

Reasoning: I don't like mods that add tons of stuff. I prefer vanilla but there's still room for improvement even in vanilla's boundaries – Toady simply doesn't utilise all of its features to 100 %, is inconsistent, doesn't finetune mechanisms etc. There's already the very nice ModestMod, which I'll play once it becomes available for the new version, but I was wandering if you have any other changes that are in the spirit of vanilla and could be added.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Let me say that now we live in a world where Duke Nukem Forever actually made a release date and therefor we are in a timeline where anything is possible.

Toady will both find a female and live to see his work become multi-threaded. Time is the gatekeeper of all things.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

markus_cz posted:

Scamtank, I have my usual obligatory question: have you collected your tweaks and changes to a mod of your own that we could use?

Reasoning: I don't like mods that add tons of stuff. I prefer vanilla but there's still room for improvement even in vanilla's boundaries – Toady simply doesn't utilise all of its features to 100 %, is inconsistent, doesn't finetune mechanisms etc. There's already the very nice ModestMod, which I'll play once it becomes available for the new version, but I was wandering if you have any other changes that are in the spirit of vanilla and could be added.

Funny that you should ask, I just brought over and selectively merged the .24-2a version of MM into my (our) previous crap. Christ my head hurts let me think what's in this thing right now in addition to the ModestMod feature list:

quote:

• Joints are more like special prizes instead of collateral damage now. If you can wrench someone's leg the wrong way, the wound heals much slower than just a basic fracture. Ligaments have been dedicated to being "joint stuff" and tendons have been straight-up removed. They did nothing except inflate reports, anyway.
  • Old combat stuff still applies, with internalized fingers, toes and facial features plus the alterations to ribcages, heads and organ damage plus tissue healing and pain responses. I don't know if the former has any undesirable conflicts with v0.42 stuff yet.
  • The third body appearance modifier has been dummied out from everything I could find, either HEIGHT or LENGTH depending on which seemed like the most insane metric for that creature at the moment. This means that creature descriptions report the correct body size now.
  • Ravens are vermin now, so don't get scared of those black r:s coming out of nowhere. They were taking up room from proper creatures with their massive vermin-grade frequency and population figures when they were normal "big" creatures.
  • Just about all sorts of giant animals can be pack animals now because it makes elven caravans kick rear end. MM had a more restrained selection.
  • Creatures with totally normal teeth tend to use GENERIC_TEETH now for reasons that I can vaguely remember being valid 6 months ago, but can't really explain right now
  • Only punching and kicking for civilized creature_standard humanoids, since biting and scratching gets really weird really fast.
  • Elves and goblins live for centuries, but will eventually kick it from old age now. Also, train those ice wolves.
  • loving mussels are everywhere. Stuck their frequency from 100 to 20.
  • Fabrics tend to have sensible adjectives, longer like "cave silk" for the proper materials and short ones for item listings instead of PIG TAIL PLANT STEM FIBER CLOTH
  • Metal sharpness has been halved across the board. Considering how overkill combat still is, having the blades slow down a little harder when carving through flesh could make things seem a bit more sensible
  • Sterling silver (adj: silver) is the "household" silver now instead of the straight stuff (adj: pure silver). It makes everything the old silver used to do, including being mid-value coins for entities. Electrum's adjective is now "white gold". Bronze makes for anvils.
  • Microcline and orthoclase behave a little differently: the other shows up in ign.intrusive and the other only in ign.extrusive layers. The deposits have exclusive chances of containing moonstones (orthoclase) or screaming cyan amazonite (microcline). Aquifers are gone. Leperflesh's ore value discounts are in effect.
  • Twiddled about with garments to make them stand out from each other a bit more. Shoes are cloth, boots are leather, shin boots are metallic and armored, no leather togas, only cloth shirts, vests are stiff and thick and so on and so on. The files themselves have exact details.
  • Humans and dwarves differ a little in industry now. Dwarves have a narrow selection of gem shapes while the optics-boner humans have the full range. However, humans can no longer make gold alloys (electrum, rose gold, black bronze) or anything fancier than lay pewter. Humans can also make plaster and pearlash now.
  • Wood makes boards. Metal makes panels. Porcelain makes tiles. Hair can only make "soft" items now and hooves aren't crafting material anymore.
  • Fruit trees spawn way less frequently and bayberry trees make a tiny bit more sense. My old extra plant products and dyes (muck root brown, rat weed grey, sun berry gold, blade weed gin, oils and soaps from hide roots and fisher berries, dimple cup ink) are still there. The trees and plants in plant_standard also have STATE_COLORs declared for their structural materials with an eye towards the TWBT coloring plugin.
  • Glazers and pressers are still abolished, still have two mead recipes instead of one and there's the beekeeping where you moosh two quick-forming honeycombs instead of one and use buckets a lot. I also just figured out how descriptions work, so there's going to be some text boxes attached.
  • Dwarves have pre-emptive access to DFHack-specific reactions and buildings, like the steam reactors and poisoning stations.
  • You can duplicate arrows with a specimen plus either iron or bronze at a craftsman's shop.
  • Training clubs, hammers and poles.
  • Humans have actual fixed kings and chancellors and diplomats in addition to the total Toadybox generation being on. Elves maintain three druid acolytes who drop by to make trade agreements.
  • The rest of the melee weapons are in accordance to some other guy's personal weapon rebalance project from a while back. Suffice it to say that the stat numbers are considerably less retarded, but I can't say what the overall effect is other than "less forceful". The exact details have been noted in item_weapon.txt.
  • Of course there's pedestals

I wonder what I missed. I've also included my string-patched executable and the unholy mess of demanding nobles that I came up with some time ago as optional add-ons. They come with a better readme than this mess.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

Hey, anybody else feeling adventurous? Quietust got the first pass of Windows globals mapped out and .03-flavored DFHack not only compiled, but it also runs without any immediate explosions. The most important bits (prospect, digv, reveal, workshop job tweaking UI, extra search parsers and other little things) seem to be working fine.

Using this on 42.03... Seems like it works okay? It loads and runs basic commands like reveal and the UI improvements work fine. DFusion seems like it works.

I'm going to avoid using things like workflow and whatnot for now just to avoid crashes and save corruptions, but still that's a lot better than nothing! Scrolling through a list of 100 dwarves to find pick one out was getting annoying. Thanks.

This dwarf is drunk as gently caress:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 20, 2015

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

Funny that you should ask, I just brought over and selectively merged the .24-2a version of MM into my (our) previous crap. Christ my head hurts let me think what's in this thing right now in addition to the ModestMod feature list:

Yes, please!

:getin:

Thanks for that, it seems brilliant. Although I wish you kept a proper changelog, heh. Any idea what did you keep from Modest Mod and what you didn't? Oh and what's this about :

"Dwarves have pre-emptive access to DFHack-specific reactions and buildings, like the steam reactors and poisoning stations."

EDIT: God now I need to figure out how to apply GemSet to this. Those are raws for vanilla graphics, right?

EDIT2: Oh there are comments all over the files. Nice.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 20, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Caught a female and a male hydra.

They both have killed dwarves, so although they are trained they are on chains forever (they'll still attack dwarves unless that bug was fixed). I figure no big deal, I can use the hydra kids.

The 3 hydras were born trained, and promptly started massacring civilians. The hubris of dwarves...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, just plain ASCII. Remember how DFHack has the add-spatter stuff and the steam engine plugins that hook into specifically named reactions and buildings, right? They're there in the entity permissions already.

I think there's just one thing I left out, and that was tannable scales. I mean they're something that you crack and peel off from the actual skin so you can do stuff with the hide it's all kinda dumb, but everything else is either in, was already there from ages past or I overrode it with something else entirely.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Surprised at the reactions to my post - it wasn't a dig at Toady. Really, I meant it the opposite way...he's not interested in other humans, let alone romance. And that's fine. He's evolved beyond the need of both

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

scamtank posted:

I think there's just one thing I left out, and that was tannable scales. I mean they're something that you crack and peel off from the actual skin so you can do stuff with the hide it's all kinda dumb, but everything else is either in, was already there from ages past or I overrode it with something else entirely.

I believe it's because lizards etc don't even have skin in the raws, just a layer of scales. So you can make alligator leather shoes in real life, but not in DF because they had scales instead of skins.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

SirPenguin posted:

"Mates with a human female"

reading
Jul 27, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

I had a beast made out of fire and a spearguy slew it with only minor burns, but then something the traders brought made my game crash when I tried to buy it. So I had to kill the beast again, and this time it somehow immolated a whole squad with its presence. I normally don't savescum, but I felt cheated since it died cleanly once, so I closed the process and tried again. It managed to wipe out all comers repeatedly until I dug a bunker nearby where it liked to sit around and got a marksdwarf to pay attention to it. Also, when it went for a swim, it seems like it somehow instantly destroyed a whole z-level's worth of water:

What tileset is this?

Also:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Toady's a fairly gregarious guy with a slight shy streak, but he devotes nearly all his waking hours to developing Dwarf Fortress.

It's still pretty loving weird to scrutinize his private life and that was not the intention of my post. Jesus christ.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Finally, just what we needed: radioactive books.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

Yeah, just plain ASCII. Remember how DFHack has the add-spatter stuff and the steam engine plugins that hook into specifically named reactions and buildings, right? They're there in the entity permissions already.

Yeah, as GenericOverusedUsername says, I believe that creatures with scales have no hide. Tannable scales were in to allow e.g. dragonscale armor, things like that. Basically, "scale" in DF doesn't refer only to the scaly bits but to hide + scale together. Unless you made the hide separate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You could make scales a separate layer that goes over skin. I'm not entirely sure why it isn't like that in the first place honestly.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

reading posted:

What tileset is this?

I believe it's this one, a 12x12 edit of the default 640x300 curses by an unknown author:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Unknown_curses_12x12.png

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Uh my tavern just exploded in violence - near as I can tell a couple humans decided to go nuts and start swinging and shooting bolts. Next thing I know the main floor is soaked in blood and an elf and a goblin poet have been killed (prejudiced humans?). Four more die before my militia can get there and restore order.

It was inevitable.

Looks like for whatever reason right when a kobold was discovered and I got the message, 8-9 humans in my tavern decided to freak out. Oh well blood for the blood god.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 21, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Moridin920 posted:

Uh my tavern just exploded in violence - near as I can tell a couple humans decided to go nuts and start swinging and shooting bolts. Next thing I know the main floor is soaked in blood and an elf and a goblin poet have been killed (prejudiced humans?). Four more die before my militia can get there and restore order.

It was inevitable.

Looks like for whatever reason right when a kobold was discovered and I got the message, 8-9 humans in my tavern decided to freak out. Oh well blood for the blood god.

Maybe the humans tried to deal with the kobold, but there was some friendly fire that made everything break down?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I'm on a pretty cool map that has a river split around a large outcropping, and there are several z levels between the top of my central landmass and the river beneath.The map is cut into three big parts on the surface until the winter where the lowest levels of the map and the river are at level with each other.

So, how long do necromancer sieges usually last? My local tower attacked with twenty zombies before year two was done and I'm trying to get a big wall built on the side that they'll be able to cross when winter freezes the split river. My militia bravely chopped up the lone Zombie Wren Woman Swordsman that was able to cross the gap, but they stand no chance against fully armed dwarf and human zombies.

edit > Well, time to see if the wandering Human Swordsman who's interested in visiting my tavern will simply add to the undead horde or cut some of them down to size!

Trundel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 21, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The necromancers leave eventually but the zombies will stick around for quite a while... I'm not sure if they ever leave on their own.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My last zombies siege lasted 2 years.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How are all these dwarves with no reading skill spending so much time flipping through the pages of my codices/scrolls/books? Will they eventually learn to read by staring at The Farm: Did It Really Happen? or Unknown Author?

Also, I built a large-sized instrument on the floor of my tavern and another one in my temple, but both rooms do not recognize the instrument, nor will anyone use it or play with it. (it's literally a stone block, which is hit with a stick, and produces a single note hahaha so shittiest instrument ever)

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Dammit, lost my fort when I tried to dig out a quick exit for the couple of visitors still trapped. I underestimate a zombie's ability to swim and before I knew it a pair of them slipped into the opening before I could get anyone to shut the bridge gates. Time for a reclaim!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

It was inevitable.

Well, if they were drunk and saw a kobold maybe a couple of them thought they were taking care of a problem for you. Being drunk meant they didn't have the best aim, I imagine, and so when they missed and nailed bystanders it turned into a bit of a melee. This is why you shouldn't allow weapons in bars, just saying.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Every once in a while I see people become randomly enraged, though it usually ends without incident. I think they might have been having an argument while drunk.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
My reclaim is going swimmingly! My two axedwarves found an undead dwarf head in the stairwell, knocked all of its teeth out and now all seven of my dwarves are piling on to the thing and there's no sign that the battle will end. It's literally nothing but an empty skull at this point and no one, not even the war dogs that I brought, can do anything on either side.

So do I have to wait for an insanely lucky combat roll to kill this thing considering that one dwarf is using an axe and the rest their fists?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Blades are poor weapons to use against undead. They simply turn one zombie trying to kill you into multiple zombie pieces trying to kill you. You need to pulp the bits, and that requires blunter trauma. Bring hammers or maces.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blunts are almost always superior since they can also bypass heavy armor to some extent. Plus they make combat reports more fun.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I believe it's because lizards etc don't even have skin in the raws, just a layer of scales. So you can make alligator leather shoes in real life, but not in DF because they had scales instead of skins.

No I'm pretty sure that there w

well gently caress,

At least it's a simple thing to stick back in. In material_template_default.txt jump down to the title and Ctrl-V the marked mess on the end of it.

code:
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
	[ABSORPTION:100]
	[IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
	--- Modest Mod ---
	[LEATHER]
	[ITEMS_LEATHER]
	[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SCALE]
	[ROTS]
    [STOCKPILE_GLOB]
	   [DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB]
    [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE]
	[REACTION_CLASS:SKIN]
	--- end Modest Mod ---

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

By far the best thing about Masterwork is that it condenses all the rat, bat, dog and cow leathers into just "leather" with a few grades depending on the beasts rarity. Is there another mod that does this with the latest version?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Caught a female and a male hydra.

They both have killed dwarves, so although they are trained they are on chains forever (they'll still attack dwarves unless that bug was fixed). I figure no big deal, I can use the hydra kids.

The 3 hydras were born trained, and promptly started massacring civilians. The hubris of dwarves...

I had this problem last version, too. I think the megabeasts aren't becoming properly "tame" despite having training tags. Killing them also caused (at least last version) little civil wars between the dwarves who attacked the hydrae and everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Any newbie must reads for this? I've watched CaptainDuck's (I think he's a goon?) tutorial videos but I still find it hard to navigate myself in the 3d world of DF. Or will this come in time?

I'm a Roguelike vet but I've only played "DF lites" like Rimworld.