Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

Clamp a straightedge on the piece that's as far away from your line as the plate of your saw and ride the saw up against that.

This, and slow down. If you can't cut straight when using a guide as described, then you're doing something wrong with how you're guiding the tool, and you're not going to figure out what's wrong if you're going fast. Stop as soon as you notice you're going off-track, back up a bit, and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I got all of the pieces cut for my mother's tchotchke shelf, but it looks off (I just laid out the pieces so nevermind that it isn't square yet). Right now everything is the same width except the top, which has some overhang. Should I go back and rip some of the vertical dividers narrower so they sit away from the front edge? Which pieces should get decorative edges with the router?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For that thickness of wood, honestly I wouldn't put any decorative edges on. It'll look better with straight edges as you have it now. You might want to make the vertical dividers be less deep though, yeah. Shouldn't need to be by more than a half-inch or so. But honestly this is all just aesthetic advice; it won't affect the functioning of the piece. Go with what you want.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Counterpoint: I'd put a 1/4" roundover on every single available edge

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This, and slow down. If you can't cut straight when using a guide as described, then you're doing something wrong with how you're guiding the tool, and you're not going to figure out what's wrong if you're going fast. Stop as soon as you notice you're going off-track, back up a bit, and try again.

I already do this and have tried to go slow but the blade keeps coming off the guide and bending. Part of the problem is that I am starting a little off the marked line because I begin in a pilot hole and then have to make a curve. I'm sure it's how I'm guiding the tool but I can't figure out exactly how to make it stay straight. Maybe I'll take a closer look at my saw and see if something needs to be tightened - the blade tends to drift off the guide which maybe shouldn't happen.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
It sounds like you are doing it mostly correctly. A jigsaw is sub-optimal for long straight cuts, but

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

the blade bends or comes off the guide but keeps cutting
should not happen. Is the blade the variety that cuts on the way down or the way up? Damaged saw seems plausible.

A circular saw would be a better tool choice, but not if you aren't comfortable with it.

Must you start every cut from the middle of a sheet? You are doing it the hard way.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

end mill facade posted:

It sounds like you are doing it mostly correctly. A jigsaw is sub-optimal for long straight cuts, but

should not happen. Is the blade the variety that cuts on the way down or the way up? Damaged saw seems plausible.

A circular saw would be a better tool choice, but not if you aren't comfortable with it.

Must you start every cut from the middle of a sheet? You are doing it the hard way.

It cuts on the upstroke. I have a blade that cuts on the downstroke but haven't tried it yet. There is a circular pulley that it sits in but as I am making a curve it often comes off the groove. There's no obvious way to prevent this. I bought my current blade because it was supposed to be more rigid.

My main problem with the circular saw is the plunge cut. The one time I tried it somehow things still went awry. Maybe I'll try it again.

I have a sheet of plywood and am trying to simply cut a rectangle out of the middle. I suppose I could make a cut in from the side and then rejoin the pieces but I figured that a plunge cut was doable and preferable for aesthetics. My pilot holes are at the corners so I'm struggling to see how I am doing it the hard way but that is often the problem for newcomers to a new field so I am eager to learn a better technique.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Make a rough hole big enough for the circular saw using the jigsaw, then cut that hole with the circular saw to the size you need. That way you make the final cut with a circular saw but you don't need to plunge.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It cuts on the upstroke. I have a blade that cuts on the downstroke but haven't tried it yet. There is a circular pulley that it sits in but as I am making a curve it often comes off the groove. There's no obvious way to prevent this. I bought my current blade because it was supposed to be more rigid.

My main problem with the circular saw is the plunge cut. The one time I tried it somehow things still went awry. Maybe I'll try it again.

I have a sheet of plywood and am trying to simply cut a rectangle out of the middle. I suppose I could make a cut in from the side and then rejoin the pieces but I figured that a plunge cut was doable and preferable for aesthetics. My pilot holes are at the corners so I'm struggling to see how I am doing it the hard way but that is often the problem for newcomers to a new field so I am eager to learn a better technique.

Jigsaws really aren't intended for long straight cuts, but, a good quality jigsaw makes a world of difference. Also there are wider blades for jigsaws that would be more suited this case. When I make a cutout like that, I learned to cut straight to the corner, back off, then radius on to the next leg. Then cut out that little semi-circle from the opposite direction.
If you're dropping a circular saw in on a sheet, be really careful and slow, that puppy can run off in a heartbeat. Really, a cordless circular saw would be best, as they are not going to be over-powering on this type of cut like a 15 amp corded saw is.

e. that circular pulley is the blade guide, and the blade should nest in it throughout the cut. Are you using a typical coarse tooth wood-cutting blade? Also, don't bother with a downstroke blade on a cut like this.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 19, 2015

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I'm still going through this long thread, so I apologize if this has already been asked but I'm trying to sort out what kind of wood I want to buy for a project. The project is a farm house style table and bench (table, bench). However I'm a bit of a loss as to what kind of wood I should make it out of and if I should be looking for anything special when I go and purchase the wood. We don't want that traditional oak looking finish on the project and probably want to end up with a light colored wood.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The one in your link is made out of 2x4s and pine boards. Do the same and stain to taste?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah that's pretty much just stuff off the rack at Home Depot.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I'm still going through this long thread, so I apologize if this has already been asked but I'm trying to sort out what kind of wood I want to buy for a project. The project is a farm house style table and bench (table, bench). However I'm a bit of a loss as to what kind of wood I should make it out of and if I should be looking for anything special when I go and purchase the wood. We don't want that traditional oak looking finish on the project and probably want to end up with a light colored wood.

As others have said, it's all pine with a heavy stain on it. I recommend you go get a 2X4, and lots of tester size pots of stain and do tests on the 2X4. That is a BIG table to be discovering you don't like the stain on....

Also, be sure to condition the wood first before applying the stain. Pine can finish rather badly/streaky. Looking at the design, lots of crumbs and dirt will fall into the gaps between the edges/frame of the table top and the adjoining wood. Either be prepared for that, or maybe look at doing an epoxy treatment on the top to level it out. This may give you an idea :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaziREOdQJY

midge fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 19, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is the project I was trying to do those stacked, curved bandsaw cuts for; it's finally reached the finishing stages.

(Click for full size)

That's an endgrain cherry/purpleheart/sapele cutting board, with little sapele skids/feet on the underside. It's 8.5x12.5" and about .75" thick -- the thinness is part of why I added the skids, on the theory that they'd help resist any flexing pressure applied to the cutting board. I have two more of these that aren't as far along, but they should be thicker when all's said and done because I did a better job of gluing them and thus didn't need to remove as much material to get a flat board.

The cuts mostly worked out well; there's a few minor gaps that I had to fill in with sawdust mixed with wood glue, but nothing project-ruining. That said, this was still a lot more work than I'd bargained for. I like the effect but I'm not certain it's worth the effort.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the things. I'm tempted to try selling them.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Neat effect, I bet you could make lots of interesting variations.

Doesn't seem to be all that interesting though, can't even play with it :colbert:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
That's a really nice cutting board.

I started a YouTube channel about how bad I am at woodworking.

If you want to point and laugh at my mistakes, you can find it here. Right now it's mostly shop projects and technique videos, but I do plan to get more project videos done soon. I don't have access to my shop until Monday due to a big honkin' pile of boxes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

King Hotpants posted:

I started a YouTube channel about how bad I am at woodworking.

I watched your converting a gun cabinet video and like that you explain what is happening and not just showing a bunch of tedious cutting, milling, etc. I made a few videos and build videos are not for me. I don't like trying to make something while worrying about camera angles, lighting, the neighbor's dog, and whatnot. So any videos here on out are more likely to be me talking about something I made. Most of the time I don't need to see someone make something, I just want to see what they made. This is the latest, where I'm showing three different acoustic horns for phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo981-i55ZY

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Finished up a pair of nightstands, and am decently pleased.

It was a hand tool-only project from rough lumber to finishing, and features glued mortise and tenon joinery, self-made milk paint followed by tung oil, and a french-style polissoir beeswax finish on the table tops.

Lessons learned: it's ok to be picky with lumber, especially construction grade pine pine, poo poo's cheap, and it's not worth trying to mortise a knot. Rip way oversize, don't try to crowd parts in layout. Undercutting tenon shoulders is magical.

Most Valuable Tool Award: Jankety old jack plane.

Now I just need to level the feet, any suggestions?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Free Market Mambo posted:

Finished up a pair of nightstands, and am decently pleased.

It was a hand tool-only project from rough lumber to finishing, and features glued mortise and tenon joinery, self-made milk paint followed by tung oil, and a french-style polissoir beeswax finish on the table tops.

Lessons learned: it's ok to be picky with lumber, especially construction grade pine pine, poo poo's cheap, and it's not worth trying to mortise a knot. Rip way oversize, don't try to crowd parts in layout. Undercutting tenon shoulders is magical.

Most Valuable Tool Award: Jankety old jack plane.

Now I just need to level the feet, any suggestions?

Take a marker pencil and mark around all the legs, rolling it on the floor. Cut, repeat. Cut, repeat until tables are now some sort of Japanese floor altars.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr. Mambold posted:

Take a marker pencil and mark around all the legs, rolling it on the floor. Cut, repeat. Cut, repeat until tables are now some sort of Japanese floor altars.

Gonna feng shui these bitches.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any goon want to make a few bucks helping me with an arts and crafts project of sorts? Basically want to make a 6" or so redwood hilt with some burnt "inscriptions" around the base and top.

e; For background, it is an anniversary present. Making a (non-fx) lightsaber with some parts from custom saber shop and want to have the main part of it be a redwood hilt with some footprints from the Marauder's Map (Harry Potter) burned in as decoration. Mashing up a bunch of different fandoms here.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 21, 2015

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

This is the project I was trying to do those stacked, curved bandsaw cuts for; it's finally reached the finishing stages.

That looks amazing but the amount of work I'm picturing in doing something like that would put me off ever trying. I'm impressed you got the joins as close as you did, I have a hard enough time doing that on right-angles.

I finished the table I was making for a friend. Pleased with how it turned out after I initially wrecked the hell out of the top by using a power hand plane on a far too aggressive setting. Entirely made from recycled Rimu, but part heartwood and part sap.

I also fairly quickly knocked together a business card holder to test out a design idea I had out of rimu, tawa and jarrah.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kerro posted:

That looks amazing but the amount of work I'm picturing in doing something like that would put me off ever trying. I'm impressed you got the joins as close as you did, I have a hard enough time doing that on right-angles.

If you're thinking I cut each individual piece and fitted it into place like some kind of mosaic, ohhhh good gravy no that would drive me insane in short order. The basic technique is to stack multiple boards on top of each other and then run them through the bandsaw; you then take the pieces from different boards and glue them together to make patterns. In this case I did concentric circles, and did two sets of cuts; I've also previously done a "drunken checkerboard" pattern which is a lot easier, frankly, if only because the glue-ups don't require difficult clamping setups. Assuming that you've set your tools correctly and the boards don't shift while you're cutting them, the pieces just automatically fit together.

I like the business card holder. I'd personally want to have some curves in it somewhere, maybe a gentle "hill" in front of the "mountains", but to each their own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I screwed up slightly and forgot to drill some mounting holes for a cover plate thing in this box thing before I glued it all together. I need these holes drilled so I can screw the plate down, but they're only out from the bottom of the box by like 3/8". Do I just need to accept that they're gonna have to go in crooked (probably okay, really) or is there a reasonable way to drill those last 5 pilot holes straight in still?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Is there enough room for a right angle drill attachment?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Just spin the bit between your fingers real fast. Should punch through in 3 or 4 days of drilling.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have Learned Lessons™ yesterday. First I got to close to a nail I thought I'd sunk and munged a chunk out of my plane, need to get cracking with the grinding/sharpening learning now. Then the bearing on the end of my flush cutting bit came off mid cut and walked into the workpiece before I caught it, nice big notch in the side of the bookcase. At least it'll be slightly hidden when stained.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

I made a few videos and build videos are not for me. I don't like trying to make something while worrying about camera angles, lighting, the neighbor's dog, and whatnot. So any videos here on out are more likely to be me talking about something I made. Most of the time I don't need to see someone make something, I just want to see what they made. This is the latest, where I'm showing three different acoustic horns for phones.

I recently started a channel as well and found the opposite.
I only made my first video to show some friends and family how I made cutting boards. I recently did a big order for facebook friends and a few asked to see the process. The filming part isn't super fun and definitely slows you down, but I found editing to be a blast for some reason. After I filmed my first video I ended up losing track of time while editing and stayed up past 4am.

So here is my super amateur channel with 2 videos so far. The videos are kinda Diresta style as I dunno what I'm doing yet. But maybe as I go I'll develop my own style. I'd like to add some kind of voice over to make it more interesting, but being an amateur woodworking makes it more intimidating I guess. Which is kind of funny since I've done some public speaking to thousands before without issues.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWIt0x4jiHR987NWmiM9GBg

Cakefool posted:

I have Learned Lessons™ yesterday. First I got to close to a nail I thought I'd sunk and munged a chunk out of my plane, need to get cracking with the grinding/sharpening learning now.

I feel your pain. Last year I got a new plane for Christmas and I decided to test it out on just some random scrap 2x4 I had. Ended up going too deep hitting the the thread screw I had no idea was in the other side and taking a nice chunk out of a brand new plane.
On the bright side I got to go boxing day shopping for a sharpening stone and jig...

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2015

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I glued up the frame for my desk today. Here is the dry fit, you can see some panels in the background, that will be the secretary desk which will sit on the frame.

Here it is with some glue and clamps...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I glued up the frame for my desk today. Here is the dry fit, you can see some panels in the background, that will be the secretary desk which will sit on the frame.

Here it is with some glue and clamps...

Looking nice! How'd you do the legs?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Is there enough room for a right angle drill attachment?

Ugh, thanks. My sleep-deprived brain completely overlooked that option, and I had a right-angle attachment sitting right there all ready to go. It's still not quite perfectly straight in, but it's close enough that even I won't be able to tell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

The filming part isn't super fun and definitely slows you down, but I found editing to be a blast for some reason. After I filmed my first video I ended up losing track of time while editing and stayed up past 4am.

I don't mind filming or editing but I find that doing it while I'm building something takes the pleasure out of building something. It does give you a pretty good idea of how many hours guys like Jay Bates, Frank Howarth, John Heisz and others put into filming and editing. Maybe if I had a bigger shop or at least taller ceiling so I could get the camera up out of the way I would mind it less. As it is, my shop is so cramped that the camera is usually an impediment to moving around. There is also a lot of competition to come up with fresh ideas so if you think of something new, keep it to yourself until you film it otherwise you might find a similar idea popping up on someone else's channel.

You buy the legs or make them? I like it, nice to see something other than the usual Craftsman or Shaker.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I just wanted to thank the thread for its help with my straight plunge cuts. I ended up reacquainting myself with the circular saw and it did do a much better job. I still used my jigsaw to get the last little bit at the corners. Hopefully this box will be easier to inlay.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Looking nice! How'd you do the legs?

wormil posted:

You buy the legs or make them? I like it, nice to see something other than the usual Craftsman or Shaker.

Thanks, that's exactly it, everything I've done has been craftsman/arts & crafts and I wanted to branch out and try something new. I made the legs myself, out of 12/4 cherry. I roughed them out on the bandsaw; cut out the outline on one side, then rotated the wood 90* and cut out the outline again. I tried a few methods of shaping, two of them I did by hand with a spokeshave, rasp and scrapers and two I did on my oscillating belt sander. Overall I liked the handwork better, but my cheap rasp left such a rough finish it took a lot of time to clean up. I may look into a fancy rasp if I decide to do more work like this. The "knee blocks" which are that light hook transition into the aprons were glue on after the initial shaping and shaped with a rasp. Overall I think it averaged to about 2.5 hours per leg, which I don't think is too bad but others may think it's completely ridiculous. I like to live on the edge, so I didn't do a test or extra in case I screwed up.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Thanks, that's exactly it, everything I've done has been craftsman/arts & crafts and I wanted to branch out and try something new. I made the legs myself, out of 12/4 cherry. I roughed them out on the bandsaw; cut out the outline on one side, then rotated the wood 90* and cut out the outline again. I tried a few methods of shaping, two of them I did by hand with a spokeshave, rasp and scrapers and two I did on my oscillating belt sander. Overall I liked the handwork better, but my cheap rasp left such a rough finish it took a lot of time to clean up. I may look into a fancy rasp if I decide to do more work like this. The "knee blocks" which are that light hook transition into the aprons were glue on after the initial shaping and shaped with a rasp. Overall I think it averaged to about 2.5 hours per leg, which I don't think is too bad but others may think it's completely ridiculous. I like to live on the edge, so I didn't do a test or extra in case I screwed up.

Nicely done.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

I don't mind filming or editing but I find that doing it while I'm building something takes the pleasure out of building something. It does give you a pretty good idea of how many hours guys like Jay Bates, Frank Howarth, John Heisz and others put into filming and editing. Maybe if I had a bigger shop or at least taller ceiling so I could get the camera up out of the way I would mind it less. As it is, my shop is so cramped that the camera is usually an impediment to moving around. There is also a lot of competition to come up with fresh ideas so if you think of something new, keep it to yourself until you film it otherwise you might find a similar idea popping up on someone else's channel.

I feel your pain with the small shop. Mine is a 1 car garage and it has bikes, a snow blower, and all that eating up my space. I have a mini tripod like this I've found invaluable. It's great to just wrap it around whatever to get some neat angles. I even wrapped it around my garage door rails for one far away shot. Worked well.

It still is a huge time sink for sure. It really does show that fulltime youtubers work a lot more hours than it would appear.

You're right about the insane competition. This list of youtube woodworkers is well over 300 long now. (You can submit yours as well). I'm sure it's nowhere near all of them too.
So far I'm still getting the hang of things, so original ideas probably won't be anytime soon. I plan to just start with the typical projects like making a mallet and other shop projects while I figure out my own style. At least it's just a hobby so competing for success isn't paramount.

In non video related content. Breaking a band saw blade will never cease to be extremely terrifying. This is my 2nd one this year, I think I'm pushing my bench top delta too hard. I need a bigger one that can handle thicker stock better. I got the plans to make Matthias's 16", but it's a pretty daunting project so I keep putting it off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

In non video related content. Breaking a band saw blade will never cease to be extremely terrifying. This is my 2nd one this year, I think I'm pushing my bench top delta too hard. I need a bigger one that can handle thicker stock better. I got the plans to make Matthias's 16", but it's a pretty daunting project so I keep putting it off.

Yikes, yeah, I can see how that would be scary. What kind of blade, and what were you cutting through?

I haven't broken a blade on my bandsaw yet, but it's a 14" Grizzly and I've only been using 5/8" blades on it (basically as wide a blade as possible).

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
BANG!

Ah gently caress.

The worst part about breaking a blade is, at least for me, they seem to embed in whatever I was cutting and it sucks.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It was a cheap all purpose blade from Candian Tire. I was just cutting the tall side of a 2x4 making some of those reindeer ornaments as stocking stuffers. It's basically the max height of my saw though so I am definitely pushing it.
I mostly attribute it to a lack of patience I guess. This was my 5th ornament and I was getting sick of them, so I was going a bit faster than I should have. The saw isn't overly powerful so going fast with thick stock can jam the blade or slow it down if I push it too hard.

I've never been quite sure how much tension to put on the blade either. So that could be a contributing factor. I've tried to research it a lot, but it's still hard to dial in and know it's correct as an amateur. I feel like it's as correct as I can get it, but really dunno for sure!

Luckily with the blade guard and everything it's not super dangerous. Just makes a really scary sound.

mds2 posted:

BANG!

Ah gently caress.

The worst part about breaking a blade is, at least for me, they seem to embed in whatever I was cutting and it sucks.

Yeah... I had to rip it out with some plyers afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
For those of you who are filming, what cameras are you using?