Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dead Zone is a really good movie. The fight choreography and art design are cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darko posted:

This latest episode of Super is the overall worst animated episode of Dragon Ball I've seen, and I'm not exaggerating at all. And it's basically complete filler. Basically watch Goku go SSG and skip the rest of the episode.

edit: And Vegeta smiling and clapping.

You know the story for super has been enjoyable but jesus gently caress, the animation can get so bad at times that it can really drag the show down.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

Dead Zone is a really good movie. The fight choreography and art design are cool and good.

I agree. I also like Garlic Jr. as a movie villain much more than a filler arc villain.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I agree. I also like Garlic Jr. as a movie villain much more than a filler arc villain.

I almost always forget that the Garlic Jr. arc was a thing.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Another continuity question, how can trunks get his sword from tap ion as a kid, then travel back in time to use it on King cold? In his timeline, Goku died early to the androids and goten was never born. :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because Wrath of Dragon is up its own rear end

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

Because Wrath of Dragon is up its own rear end

Yeah I don't think the recent TFS summary of it really does justice to just how bad it unravels by the end

Like they aren't wrong that it has some positive qualities but the story buries it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's amazing how much they gently caress up "Z-Fighters vs Godzilla, also Trunks makes a friend" by the end of the movie.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

This latest episode of Super is the overall worst animated episode of Dragon Ball I've seen, and I'm not exaggerating at all. And it's basically complete filler. Basically watch Goku go SSG and skip the rest of the episode.

edit: And Vegeta smiling and clapping.

The Freeza smile was great too. It's like the Evangelion "Congratulations"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Another continuity question, how can trunks get his sword from tap ion as a kid, then travel back in time to use it on King cold? In his timeline, Goku died early to the androids and goten was never born. :(

Who says Future Trunks gets his sword from Tapion?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Who says Future Trunks gets his sword from Tapion?

Wrath of the Dragon heavily implies that. Tapion's Brave Sword has the exact same design as Trunks' sword, and it is given to Trunks with a vague "it was always meant to be yours" comment. Plus the ending credits then show Future Trunks with his sword.

Oh, and several videogames outright state that Future Trunks' sword is Tapion's.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
None of the movies fit into canon, Wrath of the Dragon is just the most glaring(and also one of the worst in all other areas).

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
A thing I found funny about Wrath of the Dragon was like, the short alien dude is clearly evil, how are you guys not realizing this every time he has an evil grin when he thinks no one is watching.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wrath of the Dragon heavily implies that. Tapion's Brave Sword has the exact same design as Trunks' sword, and it is given to Trunks with a vague "it was always meant to be yours" comment. Plus the ending credits then show Future Trunks with his sword.

Oh, and several videogames outright state that Future Trunks' sword is Tapion's.

To me all that it implies is that "our" Trunks can still grow up to be like Future Trunks despite being a brat in this era and Vegeta perhaps not being the best father (Notice how he's just flatout absent throughout most of the movie, despite the film being about Trunks primarily), not that Future Trunks met Tapion or anything like that. The sword being the same as Future Trunks is just a metaphor for this IMO.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Raxivace posted:

To me all that it implies is that "our" Trunks can still grow up to be like Future Trunks despite being a brat in this era and Vegeta perhaps not being the best father (Notice how he's just flatout absent throughout most of the movie, despite the film being about Trunks primarily), not that Future Trunks met Tapion or anything like that. The sword being the same as Future Trunks is just a metaphor for this IMO.

on the other hand the average toei writer has an IQ of 50.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the latest episode had some real quality animation

frieza is a much bigger dick in this animation than in the movie. he tried to murder krillen again...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

I don't really think they're especially dumb. They're mostly just unoriginal with plots of the movies, and they don't especially care about making them fit into continuity with the main anime either.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dead Zone is a legit good movie if you ignore the blatant continuity problem (which is the case throughout nearly all the movies). It has great art, great animation, well done choreography, good story, and pretty decent pacing for the most part. Funny enough, despite the fact that power level wise, all the characters are at their weakest in this movie (compared to all the ones that follow), they actually feel stronger and faster than they do in subsequent films.

Also, TFS has some pretty terrible taste. Putting that lovely movie with Vegeta's brother in the top 15 above movies like Tree of Might, Lord Slug, and the first Brolly movie?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mr Interweb posted:

the first Brolly movie?

All three Broly movies are high on the list as they should be

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, TFS has some pretty terrible taste. Putting that lovely movie with Vegeta's brother in the top 15 above movies like Tree of Might, Lord Slug, and the first Brolly movie?

I do not understand the love for Lord Slug at all in this thread. The most memorable part about the film other than the False Super Saiyan was the dub soundtrack.

Also, History of Trunks got #4 and Bardock, Father of Goku is #3, which means Battle of Gods and World's Strongest are competing for the top spot. I'm still pulling for World's Strongest but will accept BoG getting #1. I'm just happy that Dead Zone and World's Strongest, my two favorite films, got the respect they deserve.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah lord slug is a total nothing movie

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Son goku and friends is purestrain dragon ball

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Yo Son Goku and His Friends Return because it's basically just everyone hanging out. Gotenks using classic Yamcha and Tien moves is pretty cool too. It also started this "All new Dragon Ball media is about Frieza, even if it is only tangentially!" trend as well.

In It For The Tank posted:

I do not understand the love for Lord Slug at all in this thread. The most memorable part about the film other than the False Super Saiyan was the dub soundtrack.

The whistling gimmick was kind of neat.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 21, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

In It For The Tank posted:

Krillin and Goku's swirly combined Kamehameha - while totally ineffective - was pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXHQPif6Qg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
boy, that lastest Super episode

yikes

at least the episode preview for the next one looks a lot better

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

It's not that they are stupid, it's that noone on their team can agree on anything unless handed down to them. They all have their own idea of what cool is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that they are stupid, it's that noone on their team can agree on anything unless handed down to them. They all have their own idea of what cool is.

I know I'm in the minority in this thread, but I prefer the somewhat exaggerated from the original kickass stuff that shines in the dubs and movies. The "everyone's having a cheery adventure!" tone of the Japanese openings are deeply unappealing to me, and I prefer the Broly aesthetic of badassness to Beerus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

You don't like "Yo! Son Goku?" Slice of life Dragon Ball is the best, and that was pretty much entirely slice of life, and also segued into the current tone of the series (everyone was in character, unlike those movies).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yo! Son Goku is a much better Dragonball story than most. It is goofy and lighthearted and silly which is entirely what Dragonball is at its heart. That isn't to say it doesn't have serious moments but the franchise knows what it wants to be.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I know I'm in the minority in this thread, but I prefer the somewhat exaggerated from the original kickass stuff that shines in the dubs and movies. The "everyone's having a cheery adventure!" tone of the Japanese openings are deeply unappealing to me, and I prefer the Broly aesthetic of badassness to Beerus.

Might I suggest you watch something else?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aurora posted:

Might I suggest you watch something else?

I just prefer the content I grew up with as opposed to the more unfiltered modern stuff. Personal taste.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:ssh: The current stuff is not "modern", it's a return to what Dragon Ball always was

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't be disingenuous, you know what I mean. It's not like I hate it, only that it's noticeably different from what I was obsessed with when I was younger and it doesn't always feel like the same thing. Granted, I did dislike Return of F and Super isn't so hot right now, but I liked Battle of the Gods well enough and I've always been thrilled with Yo! Son Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I just prefer the content I grew up with as opposed to the more unfiltered modern stuff. Personal taste.

The content you grew up with was badly butched and censored. At bare minimum you need to be aware that is unlikely to be what anything modern would follow.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
For once I agree with you wicked hate. the dbz I grew up watching is the real dbz

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I didn't like Kai (both subbed or dubbed) because I have too much nostalgia for the Faulconer soundtrack and voices/nostalgia I associate with my memories.
I do like the new or previously unknown to me stuff though, quite a whole lot actually. I just prefer the version I grew up with for the content covered in those.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

There isn't even a villain like any of the dumb "hraaagh i'm xyber huge and mindless" Broly villains in DBZ either

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Zedd posted:

I didn't like Kai (both subbed or dubbed) because I have too much nostalgia for the Faulconer soundtrack and voices/nostalgia I associate with my memories.
I do like the new or previously unknown to me stuff though, quite a whole lot actually. I just prefer the version I grew up with for the content covered in those.

iawtp

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Broly is a super serious villain you guys.

Just ignore his entire motivation for hating the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Kai is hugely better and Faulconer was bad :anime:

• Locked thread