Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

"No you see SEC, it was totally an act! I got you good!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because if you loving kill someone you should be punished for loving killing someone. That person is dead. They don't exist anymore. And you (living Nevvy Z's fantasy world) get to run around on probation because well shucks you had a bad roll of the dice but that's okay.

When you kill someone (even through "bad luck") you should face extra punishment because human life has value.

Note: this does not mean throw someone in a cell and toss the key away

"human life has value" is a wishy-washy, nonfalsifiable thing to say that let's you justify whatever you want; how much is a dead person worth that you need to destroy someone else's life to preserve it's value? justify punishment based on deterrence, incapacitation, restitution, or vindication if you really want.

I mean if they intended to kill someone, yeah sure that's something you want to signal out as very bad behavior, but giving a harsher punishment because a reckless jackass was unlucky, rather than because they were a reckless jackass, serves no purpose beyond petty vengeance.

e: like claiming the "value" of human life must be preservedis the same kind of logic that abortion bombers use

i can imagine this isn't a popular viewpoint, though

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 21, 2015

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wanna see how the "lol trolled u" defense works in a court of law

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wanna see how the "lol trolled u" defense works in a court of law

"your honor, I just wanna say... praaaaanked!" *cameraman leaps up from the gallery, everyone starts cracking up* "oh man i got you bro, i got you!!"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Tiler Kiwi posted:

"your honor, I just wanna say... praaaaanked!" *cameraman leaps up from the gallery, everyone starts cracking up* "oh man i got you bro, i got you!!"

I call to the stand...Ashton Kutcher!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Was Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) passed/signed into law?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

RepubliCAN DO
Aug 31, 2005
Energy Therapist
Fallen Rib
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/21/politics/lindsey-graham-2016-campaign-drops-out/

Lindsey Graham suspends his campaign

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Other dominoes fall today? This week?

Jeb is just blowing through millions with no ROI.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/12/20/tip-leads-bomb-squad-to-man-suspected-of-making-bombs-in-richmond-home-to-harm-muslims/

So that guy in Richmond who made the suspected bomb is a 55 year old Donald Trump supporter. Police received a tip that he was building a bomb and was going to blow up some Muslims. Still not a terrorist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

"human life has value" is a wishy-washy, nonfalsifiable thing to say that let's you justify whatever you want; how much is a dead person worth that you need to destroy someone else's life to preserve it's value? justify punishment based on deterrence, incapacitation, restitution, or vindication if you really want.

That's kind of where I was going with this. We go back to the goal of justice. If the goal is anything other than vengeance then it shouldn't matter if someone died as a result of the reckless action. If 5 guys decide to form a firing squad with 4 blanks and 1 bullet we should punish them all equally. If someone is spinning the, uh, spinny bit of their revolver and pointing it at a kindergarten it shouldn't matter if there are 1 or 6 bullets in the gun.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

:smith: I'm actually sad about this, but I guess Rand Paul's :effort: campaign isn't worth trolling anymore. I was hoping to see Kasich drop out first, though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's hard to police intent. That's at least part of why consequences matter.

I don't really like the notion that it's just luck that dictates whether a drunk driver kills someone or not. There are degrees of recklessness, it's not a binary thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LeeMajors posted:

Today was the last day Graham could drop out if he wanted his name removed from the SC primary ballot, so this is him avoiding embarrassment in his home state. None of the other candidates have that same pressure, though Huck might want to avoid embarrassment in Iowa.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lessail posted:

the local media is salivating at the thought of it being terrorism :(

Got to be vigilant for the defense of the homeland, citizen. :commissar:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joementum posted:

Today was the last day Graham could drop out if he wanted his name removed from the SC primary ballot, so this is him avoiding embarrassment in his home state.

:laffo:

I read that after my post.

Getting tripled up by The Donald™ in this shithole state full of racist scumbags would've been hilarious and devastating for everyone favorite Bipolar Southern Aunt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

On the contrary, isn't this how Jeb will win the nomination? He just stays in longer than anyone else, and his numbers will go up as picks up supporters from everyone that drops out ahead of him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

:smith: I'm actually sad about this, but I guess Rand Paul's :effort: campaign isn't worth trolling anymore. I was hoping to see Kasich drop out first, though.

The best part is Graham tooting his own horn saying his campaign was a wild success as he drops out

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the contrary, isn't this how Jeb will win the nomination? He just stays in longer than anyone else, and his numbers will go up as picks up supporters from everyone that drops out ahead of him.

Rubio would need to drop out too for sure and if JEB had that scandal evidence bullet he would have fired it by now.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

JEB! also thought at this point in the race it was going to be him and Scott Walker duking it out for top spot. The GOP Presidential candidates only have a tenuous connection to our reality at this point.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is Graham tooting his own horn saying his campaign was a wild success as he drops out

He did succeed. His whole point was to shift the debate to national security and delegitimize rand Paul. The first was achieved by recent events and the second was achieved by Rand Paul

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
In Texas if a drunk driver kills your wife can you shoot him in the back for taking your property?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Honestly it's looking more and more like even if it were down to Jeb! and Trump, Trump would still crush Jeb!. The establishment's base would just stay home as the Trumptroopers would all come out and vote. For that to work Jeb! would need a voterbase wayyyy more excited than whatever he has left is.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well a new Iowa poll came out yesterday with Jeb at 2% so his numbers only have one way to go!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's hard to police intent. That's at least part of why consequences matter.

I don't really like the notion that it's just luck that dictates whether a drunk driver kills someone or not. There are degrees of recklessness, it's not a binary thing.

Most legal codes I know of imput intent for you if you kill someone while drunk.

It makes it work easier.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Today was the last day Graham could drop out if he wanted his name removed from the SC primary ballot, so this is him avoiding embarrassment in his home state. None of the other candidates have that same pressure, though Huck might want to avoid embarrassment in Iowa.

Honestly forgot that Huckabee is a candidate this cycle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's too busy eating Gay Hater Cakes or whatever in Indiana and skulking around Kim Davis' office to matter.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Huck might want to avoid embarrassment in Iowa.

Huckabee wrote a diet book, got super fat again and decided to run for president. He gives no fucks.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well a new Iowa poll came out yesterday with Jeb at 2% so his numbers only have one way to go!

Down?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The pity gently caress strategy, but with political nomination.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

DrProsek posted:

Trumptroopers
I wonder if this is one of those words we're going to see in history textbooks in 100 years, assuming there are any history textbooks in 100 years.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

1% here we come!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

I wonder if this is one of those words we're going to see in history textbooks in 100 years, assuming there are any history textbooks in 100 years.

It's doubtful Donald Trump will be remembered except as a footnote to the election of the first female president.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kilroy posted:

"Mi'lord, the Imperial Trumptroopers have breached the outer wall!"

Hmm, yeah, checks out.

Stultus Maximus posted:

On average he's actually polling just about as high as Kaisch, Fiorina, and Paul.

Goddammit we won't be free of any of them (let alone Christie) until at least Iowa, huh :sigh: Just one more month, just one more month...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What's worse: drunk driving, or getting an Uber and thereby being a willing participant in labor abuses and the dismantling of the regulatory state?

What if it's just "light uber riding"????

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

It's doubtful Donald Trump will be remembered except as a footnote to the election of the first female president.
I wish I shared your pessimism regarding his chances in the general election. I don't think it's likely he would be elected President, should he get the nom, but it's far from certain IMO. A few bad quarters and a major terrorist attack with a body count in the mid-hundreds would probably swing it.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

"Mi'lord, the Imperial Trumptroopers have breached the outer wall!"
Not really what I was going for, but sure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

I wish I shared your pessimism regarding his chances in the general election. I don't think it's likely he would be elected President, should he get the nom, but it's far from certain IMO. A few bad quarters and a major terrorist attack with a body count in the mid-hundreds would probably swing it.

Well fortunately there's only four more quarters until the election and the chance of a major terrorist attack is less than the Giants winning the Super Bowl this year.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MC Nietzche posted:

JEB! also thought at this point in the race it was going to be him and Scott Walker duking it out for top spot. The GOP Presidential candidates only have a tenuous connection to our reality at this point.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the WWF's Brawl For All, their attempt at a boxing/shootfighting tournament. "Dr. Death" Steve Williams was expected to sleep his way through the whole thing, but instead got his rear end handed to him by Bart Gunn of all people. The entire thing was an embarrassment, ruined multiple careers, and completely hosed up the narrative storytelling angle that the company had been trying for. Reality tends to do that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Let's see, major terrorist attacks on US Soil Over the Last 100 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The same poll has him in 6th in NH, behind Kasich. :laugh:

• Locked thread