Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Cat Planet posted:

Any newbie must reads for this? I've watched CaptainDuck's (I think he's a goon?) tutorial videos but I still find it hard to navigate myself in the 3d world of DF. Or will this come in time?

I'm a Roguelike vet but I've only played "DF lites" like Rimworld.

I found this indispensable starting out: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cat Planet posted:

Any newbie must reads for this? I've watched CaptainDuck's (I think he's a goon?) tutorial videos but I still find it hard to navigate myself in the 3d world of DF. Or will this come in time?

Not really a must-read so much as a tip, but keep this keybindings list printed out next to you or up on a second screen or something the first few times you play. One of the hardest things about starting this game is remembering not just the controls, but what you can even do in the first place.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Hmm, so since my starting seven are still engaged in the forever-fight with the skull I can't get to any of my old weapon production sites. If I take them off of the militia they panic any time they get near the main stairssince they ca see the skull flopping around between the war dogs. If the only way to get rid of this thing is by blunt damage is my best bet to make some wooden crossbows or some wooden training weapons on the surface?

Every attack on the skull either damage a tendon or glances away.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedTonic posted:

I had this problem last version, too. I think the megabeasts aren't becoming properly "tame" despite having training tags. Killing them also caused (at least last version) little civil wars between the dwarves who attacked the hydrae and everyone else.

Yeah something weird is going on.

I'm on to the 3rd generation of hydras bred from the originals I captured and they are ostensibly '+Trained+' - they behave just fine while pastured, any dwarf can come grab them and stick them in a cage or on a chain. I figured if I get a few generations of fort bred ones the behavior would stop but it seems to be hereditary!

If I let them wander around free they'll attack things. If they are in a pasture and I assign them to a cage they'll get like 100 steps away from the pasture and then wig out and start killing things so I have to make sure there is a tightly closed door/hatch in the way or a dwarf grabs them real quick.

Weird as hell but as long as I'm careful I should still be able weaponize them.

The major issue is they are trained so they are now TRAPAVOID and a cage trap won't catch them if they go pitbull on me, and they are naturally NOSTUN so I can't do a cave in on them either... so I need to figure out a way to get them back under control if they are released to fight. Maybe I can force invaders into a maze filled with hydras and keep the hydras controlled/inside with pressure plates and so on.

I've since killed the original megabeast (it had destroyed a couple forts and a hillocks in the past!) and the world went from 'Age of the Hydra' to 'Age of Myth.'

Cat Planet posted:

Yeah it's funky to wrap your head around at first but you get used to it. Dunno what version you're on but if it isn't the very latest one there's a utility that lets you see down more than just the z-level you're on (so you can see dwarves running around 3 z-levels below the level you're looking at and whatnot) which might help with orientation - I believe it's called Text Will Be Text by Mifki.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Trundel posted:

Hmm, so since my starting seven are still engaged in the forever-fight with the skull I can't get to any of my old weapon production sites. If I take them off of the militia they panic any time they get near the main stairssince they ca see the skull flopping around between the war dogs. If the only way to get rid of this thing is by blunt damage is my best bet to make some wooden crossbows or some wooden training weapons on the surface?

You might be able to force them to run away through manipulating barrows or meeting points. If you set a barrow on the surface well away from the skull, assign them all to it, and undraft them, they'll probably panic at sight of the skull, run up and away, and then to the barrow, where you can reassign them to doing something else far from the skull. Might be able to do the same thing with a meeting point if you disable all of their labors and make sure it's the only meeting point.

VVV part of the issue is that all of his dwarves are tied up with it so any fancy dwarven engineering options are out of the question until they escape it VVV

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 21, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Trundel posted:

Is the skull on the surface? Can you tunnel underneath and engineer a little cave-in to drop it in its own personal tantrum hole? If it's underground somewhere I'd just drop a chunk of ceiling on it but that might not be viable depending on what's above :v:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah something weird is going on.

I'm on to the 3rd generation of hydras bred from the originals I captured and they are ostensibly '+Trained+' - they behave just fine while pastured, any dwarf can come grab them and stick them in a cage or on a chain. I figured if I get a few generations of fort bred ones the behavior would stop but it seems to be hereditary!

If I let them wander around free they'll attack things. If they are in a pasture and I assign them to a cage they'll get like 100 steps away from the pasture and then wig out and start killing things so I have to make sure there is a tightly closed door/hatch in the way or a dwarf grabs them real quick.

Weird as hell but as long as I'm careful I should still be able weaponize them.

The major issue is they are trained so they are now TRAPAVOID and a cage trap won't catch them if they go pitbull on me, and they are naturally NOSTUN so I can't do a cave in on them either... so I need to figure out a way to get them back under control if they are released to fight. Maybe I can force invaders into a maze filled with hydras and keep the hydras controlled/inside with pressure plates and so on.

I've since killed the original megabeast (it had destroyed a couple forts and a hillocks in the past!) and the world went from 'Age of the Hydra' to 'Age of Myth.'

Yeah it's funky to wrap your head around at first but you get used to it. Dunno what version you're on but if it isn't the very latest one there's a utility that lets you see down more than just the z-level you're on (so you can see dwarves running around 3 z-levels below the level you're looking at and whatnot) which might help with orientation - I believe it's called Text Will Be Text by Mifki.

Hmm Hydras have multiple heads right. Maybe a dwarf only tries to train one head so the rest are still wild.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Moridin920 posted:

I loved the concept but I wish there was a way for it to either draw a border around the currently viewable Z level or desaturate subsequent Z levels. I want it so that every open space/ unexplored blackness reveals whats below it but that you can obviously tell its depth of field. Other then that its a brilliant plugin.

I wonder if I can write a DF renderer for occulus...........

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is the skull on the surface? Can you tunnel underneath and engineer a little cave-in to drop it in its own personal tantrum hole? If it's underground somewhere I'd just drop a chunk of ceiling on it but that might not be viable depending on what's above :v:

I have a 4x4 central staircase in my fort and the skull is 30 z-levels down inside it, there's nothing to really drop on it.

Using burrows got everyone but my militia commander to run away from it for a time, but now my carpenter is just standing next to the wagon full of booze and dehydrating himself to death. Didn't get any messages about him going insane and he seems reasonably well-adjusted from the personality screen. I'm trying to get my other dwarves in line to dig out a parallel shaft to my central staircase so that they can get to the sweet, sweet tetrahedrite and make some silver war hammers, so wish me luck.

Now that I've re-designated the tavern maybe I'll get a wandering Maceman to visit and take care of the issue for me.

edit: everything is lost, the head is now at z-level 5 and no one can get anything done or reach anything because they're either terrified or fighting it. I'm just going to leave it unpaused until the situation resolves itself!

edit2: The fight tumbled out onto the surface and my commander, the carpenter, the brewer and the head all fell into the river and continued their fight until they drowned. Due to other deaths by dehydration during the months long battle I was left with a miner and a grower to pick things back up. Luckily the head was happy to stay in the river and has been destroyed by ice forming when winter hit. Victory!

Trundel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 21, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So now that Phoebus has stopped updating his pack, who has one that looks most similar to it?

I haven't played this game in over a year but I still check the thread regularly and enjoy reading your tales of adventure.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

So now that Phoebus has stopped updating his pack, who has one that looks most similar to it?

I haven't played this game in over a year but I still check the thread regularly and enjoy reading your tales of adventure.

It's not a 1:1 replacement, but as a fan of Pheobus, I've really enjoyed using the latest CLA Graphic Set.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cat Planet posted:

It comes in time. A tileset will help the acquisition rate buy then you'll forever be locked out if the Matrix

Edit: should check how many remaining posts before hitting quote.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I loved the concept but I wish there was a way for it to either draw a border around the currently viewable Z level or desaturate subsequent Z levels. I want it so that every open space/ unexplored blackness reveals whats below it but that you can obviously tell its depth of field. Other then that its a brilliant plugin.

I wonder if I can write a DF renderer for occulus...........

TWBT did exactly what you're describing though, you could even customize the thickness of the border and level of saturation on the lower levels.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Prop Wash posted:

TWBT did exactly what you're describing though, you could even customize the thickness of the border and level of saturation on the lower levels.

Really? Either I had an early version or I just didn't set it up correctly.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I had figured I was past due in trying to actually sit down and learn the new "rumors" system. I used to love adventurer mode but that release really messed with my understanding of how to even ACCEPT a quest, let alone complete one

After a bunch of searching it seems it's not a lack of understanding - it really is just a total mess!

There's really is no way to "accept" a quest or to track it, and "completing" a quest involves spamming the rumor a bunch of times and waiting a few days for notoriety to spread. Apparently the "it was inevitable" response can indicate they acknowledge your completion, but that's also what they say when they don't have a response

Are there any 'best practices' for adventurer mode? The rumor system is just so unwieldy and lacks so much feedback I'm seriously clueless

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You don't really accept quests, and actual quests don't exist per se. Inquiring about troubles will give knowledge about enemies of the speaker's civilization, and it's up to you to track them down.

After someone tells you about some terrible evil or other, ask them for directions to their location and they'll hopefully send you the right way. Remember the target's name and their location, or write it down. Then go into your quest log (shift+q), go to sites, and filter the list by name. Highlight your destination and press z to zoom the map to where you need to go.

Once you're there, find the beast/bandits/criminals and slay them. Return to any settlement of the civ you heard the rumour from and spread the word. Do this in a few places and then keep adventuring or retire for a while to let time pass.

I don't know exactly how rumours spread, but it should happen once a site is unloaded. I don't know if you need to inform a lot of people or if their importance matters, but I usually report to the local lords and ladies personally.

And yes, it is a terribly unintuitive way to keep track of quests and important events.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My adventure mode goal is always to find the gaudiest jewelry and clothing to wear. Killing things is just a means of staying alive and getting junk to trade for glass encrusted socks. I only care about bandit camps and lairs for the sweet free stuff they can hold. Sometimes I'll put the pursuit of tacky material wealth on hold to exact revenge on whatever killed my last adventurer.

I also like to take notes of the names of people and find out what their story was afterwards. For instance, I met a chill bandit in a dungeon once. He was 120 years old and his husband was once a mayor, and both his parents were also mayors.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This has probably been asked to death, but what governs being able to tell stories well? I'm not big on the adventure mode, but I really like the idea of doing a traveling bard or something like that. Or killing with music, whatever happens.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

PublicOpinion posted:

For instance, I met a chill bandit in a dungeon once. He was 120 years old and his husband was once a mayor, and both his parents were also mayors.

"NO SON OF MINE IS BECOMING A BANDIT"
"I'm sick of the mayor lifestyle dad!"
"But it's in our blood, son"
"I know mom. Why are you mayor too? Isn't this just one town?"

"Leave and never come back, son"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey guys. You know the thing where if you stick rollers onto a scroll, the scroll suddenly has two sets of rollers where the first one is made out of some random rock?

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SCROLL]
[NAME:scroll:scrolls]
[VALUE:20]
[SHEET_MAT]
[TOOL_USE:CONTAIN_WRITING]
[TILE:236]
[SIZE:200]
[NO_DEFAULT_JOB]
[DEFAULT_IMPROVEMENT:SPECIFIC:ROLLERS:HARD_MAT]

^^^^^
That line right there is to blame, just fyi. I don't know if you can remove it without breaking the scrolls that are made elsewhere in the world, but it's a start.

Also, a few fixes to the Lepertank trainwreck:

quote:

• I'd left in some half-baked overhaul to caps and hoods, whoops. Restored those to standard functionality and got rid of the stuff that weren't used anywhere.
  • The reaction for pressing seeds and plants for oil just doesn't work and I can't figure out why it wouldn't. Split it back into two separate reactions (needs some tweaking to make available in current saves).
  • Reworked the plant_standard.txt so that all underground stuff and Toady's fantasy plants are sitting at the bottom of the file. This means that you only need to scroll one tick up from the top in stockpile menus to see them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder how your changes to the combat balance, especially weapon sharpness, would effect the Arena Tournament. Hm...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

All I can say is that the maul is now pretty hilarious, what with it instantly pulverizing anything it hits on a person and sending kobolds flying

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Elth posted:

And yes, it is a terribly unintuitive way to keep track of quests and important events.

In the game sense. It makes sense in the "this is what you would actually do as an adventurer" sense.

Just as with everything, it needs a better UI.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hihohe posted:

Hmm Hydras have multiple heads right. Maybe a dwarf only tries to train one head so the rest are still wild.

The hilarious thing is that this wouldn't be remotely close to the craziest bug DF had ever seen, but you'd be hard pressed to see it in any other game :allears:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

All I can say is that the maul is now pretty hilarious, what with it instantly pulverizing anything it hits on a person and sending kobolds flying

Just as it should be. :allears:

Didn't those changes originally come from the Dwarf Fortress Arena thread itself, though? I believe Vox Nihili is to blame, at least according to your comments in the files.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The original Vox Remix shuffled the weapons around a lot, true, but this one is all by some dude named Sergarr over at Bay12. Vox's changes apply more around tissue statistics now.

the maul's swing is given a 10x momentum multiplier

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

scamtank posted:

the maul's swing is given a 10x momentum multiplier

Pfffft, hahahahaha, OK, that explains a lot.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Please rename it to baseball bat and / or golf club, thank you.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Please rename it to baseball bat and / or golf club, thank you.

Homerun bat.

...Wait...

Super Smash Bros. Mod?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm imagining chained up goblins getting launched off the walls. Like T-Ball.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:iit:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They better be war trainable.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

My civilization is at war with the elves and the goblins, but no elves have attacked me at all and the fort is five or six years old at least. I've been sieged a few times by the goblins, and the human caravans have arrived every year, but there's been no sign of the elves. I'm really disappointed. Also there have been no kobold thieves or goblin snatchers, only sieges.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Keas are horrid little shits that take everything that isn't nailed down despite being the size of a kitten.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

I wonder how your changes to the combat balance, especially weapon sharpness, would effect the Arena Tournament. Hm...

We wouldn't have elves biting serpent men to death through steel mail or humans ripping the arm of an ant woman off with their teeth.

No thanks.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Has anyone had an error where they try to load a save and it says it's missing a file called book_instruction.txt? I put like 15 hours into this fort and now I can't load the save at all because of this bug.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone explain what a loyalty cascade is, exactly? I read up on it in the Wiki, but I'm still confused by it.

The reason I'm even asking is because I've currently got this situation in my Fort: a visiting Human Bard came to my Fort and ended up killing one of my citizens. However, as far as I can tell, the mechanic for visiting Vampires is bugged and doesn't show "<citizen> has been found dead and drained of blood!". I confirmed my suspicion (after reloading my save, since I lost a Legendary Dwarf to that bastard) by trapping the Vampire in my Temple and he survived for ages without needing food or water.

Now, here's where it gets weird. Whenever I order my militia to attack him, all my other dwarves go crazy and start killing each other. The second I issue the kill command and my militia gets within 10 tiles of the Vamp, all the squadmembers in the squad will try and attack each other, and all my Dwarves start killing each other too. I dropped from 65 pop to 52 in under 10 seconds.

Right now, I can't tell if this is a bug, some weird vampire / necromancer spell, or just a game mechanic I'm not well versed in. I got tired of reloading saves and trying to kill the Vampire (I tried everything, killing him in isolated locations, only sending one Dwarf up against him, no matter what I did, the outcome was the same) so I ended up convicting him of an old murder case and got him 200 days in prison, then I walled him in.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Internet Kraken posted:

Keas are horrid little shits that take everything that isn't nailed down despite being the size of a kitten.
:parrot: Them's fighting words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Loopoo posted:

Can someone explain what a loyalty cascade is, exactly? I read up on it in the Wiki, but I'm still confused by it.

The reason I'm even asking is because I've currently got this situation in my Fort: a visiting Human Bard came to my Fort and ended up killing one of my citizens. However, as far as I can tell, the mechanic for visiting Vampires is bugged and doesn't show "<citizen> has been found dead and drained of blood!". I confirmed my suspicion (after reloading my save, since I lost a Legendary Dwarf to that bastard) by trapping the Vampire in my Temple and he survived for ages without needing food or water.

Now, here's where it gets weird. Whenever I order my militia to attack him, all my other dwarves go crazy and start killing each other. The second I issue the kill command and my militia gets within 10 tiles of the Vamp, all the squadmembers in the squad will try and attack each other, and all my Dwarves start killing each other too. I dropped from 65 pop to 52 in under 10 seconds.

Right now, I can't tell if this is a bug, some weird vampire / necromancer spell, or just a game mechanic I'm not well versed in. I got tired of reloading saves and trying to kill the Vampire (I tried everything, killing him in isolated locations, only sending one Dwarf up against him, no matter what I did, the outcome was the same) so I ended up convicting him of an old murder case and got him 200 days in prison, then I walled him in.

Sounds like a cross between the 80's satanic panic and The Cask of Amontillado.