Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Xenophon posted:

The sad thing about Bush's "I'm the only one with the courage to stand up to Trump!!!" campaign is that it is really, really reminiscent of Jindal's series of web videos and speeches from earlier in the cycle, and that's not something that reflects favorably on Bush.

The average Republican does not want a candidate to attack Trump. The average Republican may not vote for Trump, or even like him, but they really would rather their candidates attack Hillary.

Cruz, Rubio, Carson, and Christie have either embraced, praised, ignored, or pivoted away when asked about Trump. It's the much smarter strategy.

How many articles has 538 written about Trump? Put that in a spread sheet Nate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Somewhere in a gloomy hole in Virginia a man sits alone in a dark lair. Under a faded, beat-up "NO CAR TAX" sign rests his television. It is an old set, a CRT, but its blurry, 240p picture depicts Lindsey Graham on CNN bowing out of the presidential race. The man smiles.

"Soon," says Jim Gilmore.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
There are a lot deniers of the coming Trumpacolypse out there who've been saying since June there's no way he can sustain a lead, let alone turn it into actual votes. To those people I've been saying "if Jeb Bush was leading in the polls in New Hamphsire, Iowa and South Carolina (by double digits everywhere but Iowa) for this long, we wouldn't even be having a discussion about who'se going to be the nominee".

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

“Certainly the President has on occasion said that people who don’t support same-sex marriage are wrong… but I’ve been called a bigot for not supporting the definition of marriage.

“I have been called that before, in fact this very week. I’ve been called anti-Latino… it’s a standard operating practise.”

-Marco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edb...oX6E_QnH-m_o75w

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Louisgod posted:

The best way all this can work out is if Trump DOESN'T get the nomination and starts throwing out conspiracy theories as to why he was denied and ultimately runs 3rd party as an act of revenge. This is also my fetish.

Nah I'm with etalian that the best way this can work out is Trump warps the fabric of space and time and seizes the nomination the way Conan seized the throne of Aquilonia, and at the convention has the crown lowered onto his head by Prince Reibus moments before the defeated chairman is hurled down a bottomless shaft.

A Trump nomination would break the Republican party and shatter all kinds of comfortable official lines like "the beating heart of the Republican base totally isn't raw bigotry" or "America surely doesn't have a sizeable appetite for fascism". Then to top it off he loses in historic style in the general ushering in a thousand years of Hillary darkness. Compared to that, Cruz running a conventional if hard-Right campaign while his colleagues choke down their disgust is a snoozefest.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Keep the Promise 1, a Cruz Super Pac has just dropped this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2CEgwMhYHg

Rubio is loaded in as Establishment leadership.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Trump articles are the One Weird Trick! of political writing at this point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nachos posted:

What is the average margin of error on this diploma divide because CNN is at +/- 7 on the "college degree" tab which is a little ridiculous when no candidate is above 22.

It's a big MoE but the results have been pretty similar over a number of polls.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dolash posted:

Nah I'm with etalian that the best way this can work out is Trump warps the fabric of space and time and seizes the nomination the way Conan seized the throne of Aquilonia, and at the convention has the crown lowered onto his head by Prince Reibus moments before the defeated chairman is hurled down a bottomless shaft.

A Trump nomination would break the Republican party and shatter all kinds of comfortable official lines like "the beating heart of the Republican base totally isn't raw bigotry" or "America surely doesn't have a sizeable appetite for fascism". Then to top it off he loses in historic style in the general ushering in a thousand years of Hillary darkness. Compared to that, Cruz running a conventional if hard-Right campaign while his colleagues choke down their disgust is a snoozefest.

I agree the losing in historic style but I feel if he's crowned king turd (taking that moniker away from Cruz), the GOP and base as a whole will begrudgingly rally around him, accepting their differences and mobilizing against Hillary and painting her as the worst thing ever (like they did with Mittens vs. Obama). If he gets denied the nomination, I feel him threatening to run 3rd party (and doing so) would do more to fracture the vote and the party as a whole.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Patter Song posted:

Somewhere in a gloomy hole in Virginia a man sits alone in a dark lair. Under a faded, beat-up "NO CAR TAX" sign rests his television. It is an old set, a CRT, but its blurry, 240p picture depicts Lindsey Graham on CNN bowing out of the presidential race. The man smiles.

"Soon," says Jim Gilmore.
What is he actually doing at this point? I can't imagine he has any money to do actual campaigning.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

cheers, forever war man

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I'm really looking forward to mid January when the GOPe just say gently caress IT and throw behind Cruz to stop Trump.

I am also looking forward to that moment when Cruz is labeled a RINO and all his support collapses when that happens.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wonder if Nate Silver is just lonely and wants some attention from The Donald? Have they gotten into a twitter war yet? Perhaps Nate is just trying to provoke that so he can get in on the action! Everybody wants a piece of Trump! :)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's probably depressed because come the end of 2016, his site is toast.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Clinton coms director stumped by Trump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXLQDR8TLg

Not been a good cycle for coms directors...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Louisgod posted:

I agree the losing in historic style but I feel if he's crowned king turd (taking that moniker away from Cruz), the GOP and base as a whole will begrudgingly rally around him, accepting their differences and mobilizing against Hillary and painting her as the worst thing ever (like they did with Mittens vs. Obama). If he gets denied the nomination, I feel him threatening to run 3rd party (and doing so) would do more to fracture the vote and the party as a whole.

I just can't believe they'd do that until I see it with my own eyes - and it'd be worth it, to get to see it! I want to see McCain stumping for Trump and have to grimace when audience members ask him why he's supporting a man who mocked his years imprisoned. I want to see Trump turn down Karl Rove's help for being a proven loser and the rest of the Republican party quietly treat him as persona non grata. I want to see Jeb! endorse Trump. We all want to see Jeb! get up on stage and say "I endorse Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for President of the United States", and then presumably light himself on fire Buddhist monk style.

The alternative scenario where Trump is on the way to the nominee and these party figures declare they're staying out, or endorse Hillary, or run third party, that'd be another step beyond and probably devastate the down-ticket races as individual candidates take a side and fracture their base.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

uncurable mlady posted:

what if trump comes in behind jeb?

This should be next month's thread title

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

He's not prepared to lead.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Some new master-level trolling from PPP for those who complain that they only troll conservatives:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

syphilis

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Jeb! is now defending Donald Trump in regards to Hillary's ISIS video claim:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/jeb-bush-defends-trump-talk-about-chutzpah-for-clinton-to-sa#.vc595xMWm

quote:

“Hillary Clinton suggesting that Donald Trump is being used in an ISIS recruiting video, man, talk about chutzpah,” the former Florida governor said on Bill Bennet’s radio program. “There’s no evidence of that. There’s no evidence of that at all.”

Talk about chutzpah indeed Jeb!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Herman Cain makes a cameo in this Ted Cruz spot promoting his southern state tour. Also: a sign of how much money he's sitting on, Cruz is using a private jet for travel that could have been done by bus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asD7n5J_7Q4

Cruz's horrible politics and personality aside, how the gently caress does he think the country will elect someone with a face like this?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

This would be peak Jeb! Should it happen, there will be enough blinking during the statement to power a wind generator.

Don't forget the hunching. If Jeb is forced to get on stage and endorse Trump, his torso will be at a right angle to his legs.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Rush is doing his show today and Tuesday. Everyone else is off for the next two weeks...

I guess unlike the other hosts who have families/kids/friends/ a life, Ol Rushbo has no excuse.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 21, 2015

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I'll never forgive CNN for depriving us of a Graham/Paul debate

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's probably depressed because come the end of 2016, his site is toast.

Oh yes, because being really wrong about an election is career poison for pollsters and pundits, as evidenced by no one having heard a peep out of Dick Morris or Bill Kristol for years who, I can only presume, have since opened up a hilarious theme bar and grill with similarly out of work Karl Rove.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh yes, because being really wrong about an election is career poison for pollsters and pundits, as evidenced by no one having heard a peep out of Dick Morris or Bill Kristol for years who, I can only presume, have since opened up a hilarious theme bar and grill with similarly out of work Karl Rove.

Isn't there talk that ABC/Disney will slash 538 like they did Grantland, after the election? Since the site absolutely blows for anything other than politics, and lately kind of blows at politics.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

If you're wondering why this image of a campaigner stopping by a diner looks so weird, after months and months of campaign photos, it's because it's Rubio's first such stop in two months

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
It was mentioned on the previous page or two, but Marco Rubio was clearly kissing rear end to the Tea Party people in central and northern Florida to try and build enough support to win his senate seat. It was hilariously transparent lip service, and although I'm well ensconced in the relatively reasonable south, it was obvious to everyone here that he was desperately trying to cobble together conservative support outside of the Cuban community, and Jeb voters. I'm pretty sure even the tea partiers weren't really buying it and just appreciated the attention.

I think I buy that his original plan was to have a strong showing at the debates, not be too embarrassed by the election results, and waltz into the FL governor's mansion in 2018, with a more serious presidential campaign somewhere down the road.

I hate that we elect our governor every midterm, because turnout for anybody under 80 is miserably low, and we somehow elect Rick Scott to multiple terms.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Two percent? TWO?! Oh, but it's where he wants to be because he didn't like being the frontrunner.

Keep on Jebbin'!

I guess Dubya was right about Jeb! peaking at 3%. :haw:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Montasque posted:

Rush is doing his show today and Tuesday. Everyone else is off for the next two weeks...

I guess unlike the other hosts who have families/kids/friends/ a life, Ol Rushbo has no excuse.

Tuned in for 60 seconds. Apparently Hillary had to take a piss break during the debate and Rush thinks it's abnormal that anyone should have to use the restroom in a 2 hour debate so he demanded to see her medical records. That was about all I could stomach.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Louisgod posted:

Yeah Trump being brutalized in the general would be the best, but I'm not sure we'd get that. With the rhetoric today too many people think Democrats are killing babies in office or some poo poo and literally Hitler would be better.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 18, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Goddammit, I really liked Graham being in the race, the warmongering bloodthirsty southern dandy being the voice of reason was a good part of what made this race so awesomely surreal.

:smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thump! posted:

Goddammit, I really liked Graham being in the race, the warmongering bloodthirsty southern dandy being the voice of reason was a good part of what made this race so awesomely surreal.

:smith:

Obvious solution: make Graham a debate moderator.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Tuned in for 60 seconds. Apparently Hillary had to take a piss break during the debate and Rush thinks it's abnormal that anyone should have to use the restroom in a 2 hour debate so he demanded to see her medical records. That was about all I could stomach.

The line out of the right on this is that Hillary is a QUEEN who kicked a poor woman out of the restroom to use it for her own nefarious ends(taking a piss)

Also why the hell is Rush even doing shows this week? I don't even think they do ratings books the next two weeks. Rush is a sad, sad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Obvious solution: make Graham a debate moderator.

"Mr. Trump. Of the nuclear triad, which would you use to glass the middle east?"

• Locked thread