Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And single week is nearly poopsock pace, if you're actually reading all the quest stuff and play for "only"a couple hours per day it can take months

Side note, if you have 50k or so gil, look up the materials for your class's i115 gear and have someone make it, being fully decked out makes things so much easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You probably don't even need i115, the post 2.0-stuff gives you enough gear and clearing out the level 50 dungeons that open up will get him enough tomes to buy a few i120 pieces anyway.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Boy, I sure am enjoying all of this Relic stuff! I love my Sasuke's Blades Zeta, and I really earned that poo poo, so I didn't want to trade them even if it means getting to skip 18 atma drops. Finished getting my SMN from 59 to 60 and my WAR from 52 to 55.5 this way too, so it worked out well. And now I'm 6/10 through the dungeons for Phase 2, and y'know, this is great! I like doing the old dungeons again. I like having a reason to do the old dungeons again. They were fun dungeons.

People sure are salty about Phase 3 when I hear them talk about it, though. It can't be that bad, can it? Well, I'm curious. I've already started saving up Poetics and Law and Beastmen Coins for it, so it can't be that bad, can it? Haha, this is fun! Let's just go and see what it entails.

... Oh.

... Oh, no.

:yikes:

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 21, 2015

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I just resubbed, and I have an Atma weapon. From here is it quicker to do the nerfed zeta grind or just start the animus from scratch?

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Popehoist posted:

I just resubbed, and I have an Atma weapon. From here is it quicker to do the nerfed zeta grind or just start the animus from scratch?

Anima from scratch by far. Plus the amount of Poetics tomes you would use to get a Zeta would be better spent on items for the third anima step.

Edit: fixed

Oni Elem fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 21, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Animus is not Anima

unless you're actually abysmally stupid and think someone is better off starting with the 2.0 relic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animus? Anima? Its all anime to me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gearhead posted:

I have this mental image of the spirit chilling out in the PLD shield thinking 'Hah. THIS time I've got this.' :smug:

lol like i'd use it on pld relic, scrub

drk 4 lyfe

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

lokipunk posted:

Almost 50, what are the chances I will ever find a duty finder group for that 8 man trial? Trying to finish story mode before starting the 51-60 grind.

PROTIP: Once you hit 50, the story will direct you to Castrum Meridianum. This is an 8 man instance that is split up with plenty of cutscenes. Plenty of people are still running it because of the roulettes that give tokens, BUT you'll run into one of two problems. Either you have to skip all the cutscenes to keep pace with the tremendously overgeared murderball that will be ripping through as fast as possible OR you'll miss out on all the fights as the murderball plows through everything while you watch cutscenes.

If you're in a goon guild, the thing to do is holler out for a group to run it with you. We're pretty good about taking new people through those and being chill about it. If you're not in a goon guild, the thing to do is to get in a goon guild.

Castrum and the instance that immediately follows it are the only things that are paced like that, and while SE has learned from their mistake and kept it from happening again in new content, they haven't gone back to change the original end story.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I would totally be down for a cutscene Castrum+Praetorium run because that whole place was peak Final Fantasy Last Dungeon and it ruled so goddamn hard.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
If you can't run it with goons for whatever reason, the next best option is to do it twice. First time, watch all the cutscenes, and second time skip them to see the fights. Doing it the other way around is kinda confusing and you'll quickly lose track of the plot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mordiceius posted:

Having fate mobs spawn OUTSIDE of the fate circle is grade A bullshit. Especially when they die in 3 hits to ranged.

:agreed: this is the worst part of the grind. Runner up is actually having to finish my flying in the zones that I never went back to so I can get to the FATEs fast enough :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I recommend doing FATEs with a job that is level appropriate so the fates circle level sync thing is not even a concern

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ilifinicus posted:

I recommend doing FATEs with a job that is level appropriate so the fates circle level sync thing is not even a concern

Sure let me just load up my second highest class which is level 30.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I never do understand why people skip unlocking flying. The time saved for mobility (faster flight than ground speed, ability to take a direct route) very quickly pays for the time spent to do four sidequests and click 10 clickables around the zone.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Vil posted:

I never do understand why people skip unlocking flying. The time saved for mobility (faster flight than ground speed, ability to take a direct route) very quickly pays for the time spent to do four sidequests and click 10 clickables around the zone.
Because for the most part by the time you can unlock flying for a zone you've already completed the MSQ portion and probably a good number of side quests and are ready to move onto the next one.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Vil posted:

Hell, we even had someone in DGKK the other night offering free rides to newbies in their 2-seater chocobo to pick up all the currents.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Sentient Data posted:

And single week is nearly poopsock pace, if you're actually reading all the quest stuff and play for "only"a couple hours per day it can take months

Yes, on sick leave so I had plenty of time to play. I can see a "normal" pace taking a month easily.

ilifinicus posted:

Animus is not Anima

unless you're actually abysmally stupid and think someone is better off starting with the 2.0 relic

So uh, not playing since 2.0 I have these cool Sphairai sitting in my inventory, and they're of course not even close to the Glanzfaust I got from some storyline quest. Should I throw the Sphairai away or is there some long convoluted piecemeal upgrade questline until they become the best ever again?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Valle posted:

Yes, on sick leave so I had plenty of time to play. I can see a "normal" pace taking a month easily.

So uh, not playing since 2.0 I have these cool Sphairai sitting in my inventory, and they're of course not even close to the Glanzfaust I got from some storyline quest. Should I throw the Sphairai away or is there some long convoluted piecemeal upgrade questline until they become the best ever again?

don't throw away anything that has a unique model to it you philistine

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vil posted:

I had literally never gone back to the zone since I finished the MSQ there, and when I was doing the MSQ I just wanted to finish it so I could get to the next thing.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The Grimace posted:

Boy, I sure am enjoying all of this Relic stuff! I love my Sasuke's Blades Zeta, and I really earned that poo poo, so I didn't want to trade them even if it means getting to skip 18 atma drops. Finished getting my SMN from 59 to 60 and my WAR from 52 to 55.5 this way too, so it worked out well. And now I'm 6/10 through the dungeons for Phase 2, and y'know, this is great! I like doing the old dungeons again. I like having a reason to do the old dungeons again. They were fun dungeons

You turn in the Zeta but get an item that looks exactly like it for glamour purposes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

You turn in the Zeta but get an item that looks exactly like it for glamour purposes.

Unless you forgot to do the quest after you get your Zeta in which case you're not flagged as able to purchase a replica. See this OF thread.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

kharaa posted:

don't throw away anything that has a unique model to it you philistine

Unless you can easily replace it. Like the Spharai, which you can, because that's the base 2.0 relic and can be had off the Calamity Salvager.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

kafziel posted:

Unless you can easily replace it. Like the Spharai, which you can, because that's the base 2.0 relic and can be had off the Calamity Salvager.

it's the principle of the thing

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kitfox88 posted:

lol like i'd use it on pld relic, scrub

drk 4 lyfe

Let's be honest, the Broest of Bros was a Paladin in all but being from the wrong nation.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Unless you forgot to do the quest after you get your Zeta in which case you're not flagged as able to purchase a replica. See this OF thread.

Like me! :downs:

They'll patch in a fix at some point, no big deal.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vil posted:

Speaking of beast tribes, and how revisiting them has reminded me of the hateful quests that are basically "go do this fate that takes an hour to repop", some sanity-saving advice to anyone who does want to pursue beast tribes for tokens but who does not want to camp said fates:

- Learn which fates they are (see below), and when you're in the area for dailies, go do the fate if it's up. They're basically all pretty drat deep in the respective beast tribe stronghold. Whether you need that fate that day or not. The quests ask you to turn in an item rewarded by the fate, and you can get the item in advance.

- When accepting dailies, if you don't already have the item for that fate/daily in your inventory via the above method, don't accept that specific daily in the first place. Instead, take your freed-up beast tribe daily slot and go do a Vanu daily instead, preferably on a 50-59 job that can use the experience. While Vanu tokens don't offer as good an exchange rate, they're still better than sitting there camping a fate for who knows how long, and you can use them on any of the four types of unidentifiable blahblahs.

The tier 3 quests which involve fates are as follows:

Amal'jaa: Pulling Fangs (FATE: Quenching The Flame)
Sylph: Boar Wars (FATE: What A Boar)
Kobold: A Coblyn Catastrophe (FATE: Full Metal Alchemist)
Kobold: Wrath of the Roundsman (FATE: Making The Rounds)
Sahagin: Removing the Stain (FATE: Watch Your Tongue)

Quoting this from two pages ago for being a very good post.

It's almost exactly how I've been doing my beast tribe dailies. I was doing 3 Vanus first thing every day to get to Bloodsworn faster, but I think I'll do it the above way instead to save a little time.

EDIT: Oh, also, you may want to stop by your GC HQ and pick up a fresh stack of old hunt bills every day. Sometimes you'll get a FATE target in one of these areas that gets you 20 allied seals as well as random trash targets. It's not a lot, but if you're already doing beast tribes every day and you're going to be in the areas anyway, no reason not to check.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2015

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

Some of us aren't so lucky

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"lucky"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still mad about fate mobs spawning outside of the fate circle. Fate groups are dominated by ranged so mobs get blown up before even reaching the circle and melee players get hosed hard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unless you're a monk specifically, you have at least one ranged attack. Getting gold on fates only requires that you have at least one point of aggro on six separate mobs, which can be done even with piercing talon.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless you're a monk specifically, you have at least one ranged attack. Getting gold on fates only requires that you have at least one point of aggro on six separate mobs, which can be done even with piercing talon.

Wait, what, seriously? You don't have to do as much damage to get gold as you would to flag them for xp?

Edit: What about for boss fates?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

While that is a workaround, this is a stupid loving problem in the first place that shouldn't require a lovely solution as such.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

nuru posted:

Yeah, I know. Didn't want to do that because A. the Atma part didn't sound so bad, B. sentimental value. I understand a lot of people won't agree with that because being able to skip atma is such a huge boon, but it was effectively the strongest ARR weapon aside from Dreadwyrm... and I spent lots of money for the materia used to get those stats. v:shobon:v

Atma wasn't so much a pain for me since I got a lot of stuff done while working on it. RNG is RNG though, I understand peoples' issue with that and agree.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Chyea posted:

you may want to spend less time on this game I think

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chyea posted:

:yikes:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Chyea posted:

My favorite MMO addiction to watch is the kind where the patient's brags and boasts gradually degrade into cries for help

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Leveling is the easy part, the real struggle are the PvP and levequest achievements. I'm not even halfway done those and I've been at it for over a year.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

you may want to spend less time on this game I think

You aren't going to get world first playing this game for the amount of hours goons find normal and acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

While that is a workaround, this is a stupid loving problem in the first place that shouldn't require a lovely solution as such.

I don't see the problem.

• Locked thread