Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Kasich got a new website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The best

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

I hope he campaigns this badly when he tries to take Sherrod Brown's Senate seat in 2018.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

:eyepop:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

quote:

Note: By signing up you are waiving all constitutional rights, civil liberties, notion of privacy and subjecting yourself to a steady stream of hugely outrageous comments.

:golfclap:

Trump's predicted response: Who the gently caress is Kasich?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jim Gilmore is running for president?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Jim Gilmore is running for president?

who?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

computer parts posted:

It's doubtful Donald Trump will be remembered except as a footnote to the election of the first female president.

Just the fact that we're now seriously talking about Donald Trump potentially winning the nomination has me questioning how true this really is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

Just the fact that we're now seriously talking about Donald Trump potentially winning the nomination has me questioning how true this really is.

Why? Nutbags win nominations all the time. The only reason Romney won the nomination in 2012 was that he vastly outspent everyone else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well a new Iowa poll came out yesterday with Jeb at 2% so his numbers only have one way to go!

Shouldn't his numbers go up as Graham drops out and his supporters go to Jeb?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

The laws and regulations of society should exist and be designed with the intent of protecting the commons from free radicals. :science:

Harsh penalties for recklessly endangering others are the antioxidants of society

Edit : wow, awful app, a lot of intervening pages there you weren't yelling me about...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts posted:

Why? Nutbags win nominations all the time.

Not really though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

Not really though.

Depending on the scope you're defining, you might be right or wrong.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

computer parts posted:

Depending on the scope you're defining, you might be right or wrong.

Big, if true.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

Why? Nutbags win nominations all the time. The only reason Romney won the nomination in 2012 was that he vastly outspent everyone else.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but Romney wasn't a "nutbag" by any definition (no more than anyone else in the GOP, at least) and Jeb! is the only person vastly outspending the rest of the field in this primary.

Just to be clear, I don't seriously think Trump is going to win in a general. It's just starting to feel like absolute statements about Trump's chances don't really mean much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but Romney wasn't a "nutbag" by any definition (no more than anyone else in the GOP, at least)

Romney outspent the nutbags. With comparable funding he probably would have lost.

Paradoxish posted:

Just to be clear, I don't seriously think Trump is going to win in a general. It's just starting to feel like absolute statements about Trump's chances don't really mean much.

This is kind of a corollary to the gambler's fallacy. You think that because something unlikely happens, we can't trust probability any longer.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

This is kind of a corollary to the gambler's fallacy. You think that because something unlikely happens, we can't trust probability any longer.

No, I think that common wisdom in this case is drastically underestimating his actual chances.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
So, serious question - what is the path to pre-convention victory for any of these guys?

In all polls for the last month, Trump and Cruz together have over 50% of the vote. How would Rubio actually win this without A) forcing one of them out of the race and B) somehow siphoning off 10-20% of their votes? Because I honestly don't see either of those things happening, let alone both - even if someone finally hits Trump in the right way, most of his support is going to fall out to Cruz before it goes to Rubio.

Along those same lines, Cruz can't possibly win until Trump flames out, but despite a lot of hand-wringing, there's no sign of that happening. And Trump's not going to make over 50% of the vote unless the Republican party decides to face to bloodshed and assume that if he's the front runner, he must be electable.

Are we just assuming that the late winner-take-all primaries are going to push one person over the top? Because I don't see an easy way for 50%+1 of the delegates to go to one person.

I know Joementum or Fried Chicken or someone usually comes in and rolls their eyes at the idea that the convention will mean anything, but guys, I think this year is different. :tinfoil:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

No, I think that common wisdom in this case is drastically underestimating his actual chances.

And the evidence you're using is that in the past, his chances were underestimated.

You're also taking a very unrepresentative sample (i.e., GOP Primary voters) and extrapolating them onto the nation at large.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Eschers Basement posted:

I know Joementum or Fried Chicken or someone usually comes in and rolls their eyes at the idea that the convention will mean anything, but guys, I think this year is different. :tinfoil:

Trump can't actually turn out his "voters" in Iowa, which he'll lose to (most likely) Cruz or Rubio. Santorum, Huckabee, and probably Carson drop out at this point (if Carson has cash left he'll stay in just to keep building his mailing list). In New Hampshire the top three will be Rubio, and two of Jeb!, Cruz, Kasich, or Christie. At that point the field condenses to three or four candidates plus Trump and the winnowing continues through each primary state. Trump may stay in the race just to keep trolling Jeb! but after Super Tuesday it'll be clear he won't win.

There are a couple other ways it could go down, but I think that's the most likely right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eschers Basement posted:

So, serious question - what is the path to pre-convention victory for any of these guys?

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think that when people say a brokered convention is impossible given contemporary primary rules, it remains unsaid that any close dispute between two candidates is settled over the rules votes. The nomination process itself doesn't go past the first ballot because any "test of strength" is going to happen in the voting process that happens before the nominations, when all the delegates are still unpledged.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eschers Basement posted:

In all polls for the last month, Trump and Cruz together have over 50% of the vote. How would Rubio actually win this without A) forcing one of them out of the race and B) somehow siphoning off 10-20% of their votes? Because I honestly don't see either of those things happening, let alone both - even if someone finally hits Trump in the right way, most of his support is going to fall out to Cruz before it goes to Rubio.

Along those same lines, Cruz can't possibly win until Trump flames out, but despite a lot of hand-wringing, there's no sign of that happening. And Trump's not going to make over 50% of the vote unless the Republican party decides to face to bloodshed and assume that if he's the front runner, he must be electable.

Are we just assuming that the late winner-take-all primaries are going to push one person over the top? Because I don't see an easy way for 50%+1 of the delegates to go to one person.

Pretty sure the general strategy for the GOP Establishment at this point is to make sure that somebody like a Rubio or a Christie can pick up enough delegates that at the time of the convention there isn't a clear majority for Trump/Cruz even if they are at the top of the pack. Then once the delegates are released after the first round of voting they can whip the establishment delegates behind a single candidate and throw money at convince Trump delegates to back them as well to ratfuck him out of the nod. It's clunky and kinda relies on somebody like Cruz to continue to be at parity with Trump in the polls to blunt his lead and segment his base, but it's the best they've got at this point.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Trump can't actually turn out his "voters" in Iowa, which he'll lose to (most likely) Cruz or Rubio. Santorum, Huckabee, and probably Carson drop out at this point (if Carson has cash left he'll stay in just to keep building his mailing list). In New Hampshire the top three will be Rubio, and two of Jeb!, Cruz, Kasich, or Christie. At that point the field condenses to three or four candidates plus Trump and the winnowing continues through each primary state. Trump may stay in the race just to keep trolling Jeb! but after Super Tuesday it'll be clear he won't win.

There are a couple other ways it could go down, but I think that's the most likely right now.

Trump will probably lose Iowa but he's currently polling over 30% in NH, double that of the #2 spot. You really think he won't even place in the top 3 in NH? Same goes for SC.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

this_is_hard posted:

Trump will probably lose Iowa but he's currently polling over 30% in NH, double that of the #2 spot. You really think he won't even place in the top 3 in NH? Same goes for SC.

I think his whole appeal is based on him being the best, the greatest, so much winning and when that doesn't happen his support will drop.

Especially because it will change the media narrative.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

And the evidence you're using is that in the past, his chances were underestimated.

The evidence I'm using is that most of the people who predicted he would be done by now didn't take into account how much attention he'd receive thanks to the media's obsession with him. It's only going to get worse if he somehow wins the nomination.

quote:

You're also taking a very unrepresentative sample (i.e., GOP Primary voters) and extrapolating them onto the nation at large.

No, I'm not, since I already said I don't think his chances are very good in a general. I'm just saying that I don't have much faith in the claims that his chances are effectively zero.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

I think his whole appeal is based on him being the best, the greatest, so much winning and when that doesn't happen his support will drop.

It turns out that while some of Trumps best friends are from Iowa and he loves them all, they're actually a bunch of losers that don't matter.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Fair enough, but I think a lot of that depends on how much he loses Iowa by. If it's just a few percentage points he can maintain that image, if he loses by double digits then it's a different story.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

The evidence I'm using is that most of the people who predicted he would be done by now didn't take into account how much attention he'd receive thanks to the media's obsession with him.

Yes, so exactly what I said.

quote:

No, I'm not, since I already said I don't think his chances are very good in a general. I'm just saying that I don't have much faith in the claims that his chances are effectively zero.

Effectively zero does mean his chances aren't very good. You seem to disagree for no reason other than "those people are wrong before, they must be wrong again!"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I have learned to not underestimate Trump or his completely insane supporters. You can't predict crazy, and I'm not ruling him out for the nomination.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The FDA has officially lifted its ban on homosexual men donating blood.

Now you just have to have not have gay sex for a year.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Also, let's not forget that Iowa's Republican caucuses are surrounded by a giant fuzzy cloud of :wtc: in general, given the utter clusterfuck that they were in 2012.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

never not always don't post

This but the opposite

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Luigi Thirty posted:

Small steps :(

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

quote:

Homosexual men 44-86 times more likely to be infected with HIV: "In 2007, MSM [Men Sex with Men] were 44 to 86 times as likely to be diagnosed with HIV compared with other men, and 40 to 77 times as likely as women." (Center for Disease Control, http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/index.htm)

How is that restriction unreasonable?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For some reason, I'm reminded of the WWF's Brawl For All, their attempt at a boxing/shootfighting tournament. "Dr. Death" Steve Williams was expected to sleep his way through the whole thing, but instead got his rear end handed to him by Bart Gunn of all people. The entire thing was an embarrassment, ruined multiple careers, and completely hosed up the narrative storytelling angle that the company had been trying for. Reality tends to do that.

I am both ashamed I understand the reference and aghast at the analogy

But yeah, Trump has channeled the new silent majority (uneducated racists) and things will not be the same for a while because of it. The media legitimized him and his rhetoric and there is no turning back.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Luigi Thirty posted:

When I donated plasma it was funny how much sex with men came up. Also funny that sex with another man before 1987 was okay.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Open the bloodgates :kheldragar:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Joementum posted:

People were saying the same thing when Trump's polls dropped below Carson's in Iowa, and then again when Cruz started passing him. So far I haven't seen much effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Joementum posted:

Open the bloodgates :kheldragar:

They are open, and they are fabulous

• Locked thread