Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ikanreed posted:

It makes some seriously specious assumptions and then leads you down the path of trying to believe Jesus was either the son of god and his word was absolute, or he couldn't possibly have any value to the world. And that particular thing is just so insulting. And of course the "All muslims Tashites(who are totally evil, by the way) will go to hell for not believing in Aslan Jesus" ending of The Last Battle made me so angry as a kid. As a child I could see that it was an amoral conclusion for the story. And the part with Aslan coming forward and saying "Hey, kids, I'm literally Jesus, and I'm spelling that out explicitly when it was a pretty obvious metaphor anyways" was just so insulting to your intelligence.

It also was pretty goddamn lame of him to write Susan entirely out of the book as a ham-handed way to show how those smug-rear end atheists will all loving get theirs in the end (because ours is a loving, compassionate God).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Of all Tinsley cartoons, I didn't expect his milquetoast Christmas one to elicit such strong reactions.

Well, yeah, this is generally the case for any of his cartoons that aren't empty-headed political nonsense. Instead of "LIBERALS LIBERALS", he mentioned something more interesting than a Tinsley cartoon, I can't begin to list how many things that is. He could start a derail by making a cartoon about white bread versus brown bread, and that's without people calling it a metaphor for racism (Every Tinsley is somehow a metaphor for racism).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

Well, yeah, this is generally the case for any of his cartoons that aren't empty-headed political nonsense. Instead of "LIBERALS LIBERALS", he mentioned something more interesting than a Tinsley cartoon, I can't begin to list how many things that is. He could start a derail by making a cartoon about white bread versus brown bread, and that's without people calling it a metaphor for racism (Every Tinsley is somehow a metaphor for racism).

I remember one time he made a cartoon that was like "I personally dislike IPAs and therefore everyone who 'pretends' to like them is a big dumb phony hipster jerkface" and it set off a derail of people who agreed with him, vs people who like IPAs / people who don't like them but believe it is possible to actually like them

e: oh and the time that both Tinsley and some other posters didn't get why "house-made" and "homemade" are different things

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

alnilam posted:

I remember one time he made a cartoon that was like "I personally dislike IPAs and therefore everyone who 'pretends' to like them is a big dumb phony hipster jerkface" and it set off a derail of people who agreed with him, vs people who like IPAs / people who don't like them but believe it is possible to actually like them

e: oh and the time that both Tinsley and some other posters didn't get why "house-made" and "homemade" are different things

He makes that cartoon a lot actually

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hops in your mouth,
Hops in your mouth,
Lookin' like a
hipster with those
hops in your mouth...

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

TheDarkFlame posted:

I imagine it also has to do with the fact that the particular C.S. Lewis quote is one used by a lot of fundamentalist Christians as INCONTROVERTIBLE PROOF OF GOD and that probably irks a lot of nonbelievers or more progressive believers, and that after hearing that stuff for so long it gets easy to be annoyed by it.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Republicans are literal children incapable of understanding the only grownup in the room. AGC.

Slate's Political Kombat '16 looking good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

alnilam posted:

I don't understand how you can dislike the International Phonetic Alphabet. I figure most people who'd find it too complicated or annoying would just completely ignore it, given how it's only relevant in some specialized domains of linguistics and typography.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wow, that is the least-labeled Gosse ever. I can't believe he resisted the urge to slap one on Trump's hair.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't understand how you can dislike the International Phonetic Alphabet. I figure most people who'd find it too complicated or annoying would just completely ignore it, given how it's only relevant in some specialized domains of linguistics and typography.

NATO 4 Lyfe

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Despite ample warning, Trump's continued misuse of the Chaos Combover would ultimately go on to consume him, the presidency, and the country itself.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Tinsley hates it because of all the weird characters and sounds he'd have to learn that are only used in languages he hates so much that he's never even heard of them :argh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

memy posted:

NATO 4 Lyfe

:rant: <-- mfw someone signs with some bullshit letters like radio, king george, england, texas

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's probably the "international" part, because that might imply acknowledgement that there is a larger world out there that doesn't do everything the same way America does, and its adoption would therefore be :byodood: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS :byodood:. It is Tinsley, after all.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

River Crab posted:

It's probably the "international" part, because that might imply acknowledgement that there is a larger world out there that doesn't do everything the same way America does, and its adoption would therefore be :byodood: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS :byodood:. It is Tinsley, after all.

I'm not sure what level of sarcasm we're in right now but just to be clear, the comics were about India Pale Ales (beer), not the linguistics alphabet. The latter was joke posting.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Not My Leg posted:

Slate's Political Kombat '16 looking good.

Trump is an agent of the Ruinous Powers, a heretical cartoon. :commissar:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The best :smug: I've seen in a politoon. And that's after millions of tries from people trying to make Obama out to be the smuggest smug to ever smug.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Police hats exist in five-dimensional space

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

The screwtape letters are fun, and are exactly the way I'd like to see Christian mythology incorporated into fiction. Demons and Angels can be really interesting characters the same way Loki or Hercules can. The fact that he believed some of the points he was making didn't hurt it.

Some of his other apologism is kinda annoying pseudophilosophical bullshit that makes me want to punch a wall. Lewis' Trilemma is an example of making a false dilemma from extremes and refusing any soft mixtures of ideas or alternative explanations for things.

It makes some seriously specious assumptions and then leads you down the path of trying to believe Jesus was either the son of god and his word was absolute, or he couldn't possibly have any value to the world. And that particular thing is just so insulting. And of course the "All muslims Tashites(who are totally evil, by the way) will go to hell for not believing in Aslan Jesus" ending of The Last Battle made me so angry as a kid. As a child I could see that it was an amoral conclusion for the story. And the part with Aslan coming forward and saying "Hey, kids, I'm literally Jesus, and I'm spelling that out explicitly when it was a pretty obvious metaphor anyways" was just so insulting to your intelligence.

Having just read it like last week, I know one tashite goes to heaven because he did good in tash's name and since that is impossible (tash being inherently evil you see) Aslan counted that as having been done in his name

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

Police hats exist in five-dimensional space

You can tell the exact point in panel two where he just said "oh gently caress this" and drew a bunch of zigzags

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Trumpsuooo!

Jebnedaaaa!

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Charles Paquette... A quick googling turns up a UConn professor and a hockey player. Did one of them design the potato sacks Charlie Brown and Linus are wearing?

Was this made before or after the big oopsie?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

ikanreed posted:

The best :smug: I've seen in a politoon. And that's after millions of tries from people trying to make Obama out to be the smuggest smug to ever smug.
Martin Shkreli somehow has the most punchable face known to nature.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly Marten Shkreli looks a lot like Tedd Rall

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ambitious Spider posted:

Having just read it like last week, I know one tashite goes to heaven because he did good in tash's name and since that is impossible (tash being inherently evil you see) Aslan counted that as having been done in his name

Was that in the last book? I remember that scene but nothing else so I'm wondering if I ever actually read it... Anyway this is a part of Catholic dogma that allows for the heathens ignorant of Christ not to burn in hellfire when they had no opportunity to know better. If you know about Jesus and choose to believe in something else, or not believe at all then you're damned. All this Narnia talk makes me want to go back and read the Magicians again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This thing Bors posted certainly is a thing

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

beepsandboops posted:

If he, Ted Cruz, and Sean Hannity were standing together, it would be the most perfect setup for a Three Stooges triple slap possible.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

beepsandboops posted:

As if I needed more reason to hate Brand New

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

Honestly Marten Shkreli looks a lot like Tedd Rall

The two have never been photographed together!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

first thing to pop in my mind. a shameful boner

http://i.imgur.com/23rb7gz.png

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 21, 2015

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.

alnilam posted:

I'm not sure what level of sarcasm we're in right now but just to be clear, the comics were about India Pale Ales (beer), not the linguistics alphabet. The latter was joke posting.

God drat it, I'm an idiot. That's what I get for not reading carefully enough after I just woke up. Sorry about that.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I thought this was close to self-parody thanks to all the :words:, then I noticed it only goes up to the end of June...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

frankenfreak posted:

I thought this was close to self-parody thanks to all the :words:, then I noticed it only goes up to the end of June...

You evidently didn't notice that the first panel says "PART ONE", then.

gently caress you, God, you never get me anything nice for my birthday! :argh:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jedit posted:

You evidently didn't notice that the first panel says "PART ONE", then.
Yeah, I didn't. My eyes glazed over two moments after I gazed at this wall of text disguised as a cartoon.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Every year he does a huge two page year in review.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i mean a lot of people seem to have strong opinions about him, but it's okay i understand not reading the thread
I mean, can you blame me :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm a fan of the next-to-last panel.

• Locked thread