Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Luigi Thirty posted:

The FDA has officially lifted its ban on homosexual men donating blood.

Now you just have to have not have gay sex for a year.

Does the year count if we have sex with a transwoman who still has man bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

MariusLecter posted:

When I donated plasma it was funny how much sex with men came up. Also funny that sex with another man before 1987 was okay.

Well, it was kept to safe spaces like public restrooms at gas stations, truck stops and rest areas. And in the back of dirty movie theaters. That made all the difference.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Gay people weren't invented until 1988

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

It wasn't 1939?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Kasich was already my favorite Republican candidate, and his use of actual Cyrillic instead of the usual faux-Cyrillic just cements this.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr Hootington posted:

Does the year count if we have sex with a transwoman who still has man bits?

Yes, cause what the FDA doesn't want to say is the real risk vector is unprotected anal intercourse as that would remove eligibility from a lot of straight people too.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dr Cheeto posted:

They were just considered "icky and scary" rather than "actual pandemic vector" until the 80's.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Mulva posted:

Yes, cause what the FDA doesn't want to say is the real risk vector is unprotected anal intercourse as that would remove eligibility from a lot of straight people too.

If we banned heterosexuality this wouldn't be a problem. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If the risk of testing is that it doesn't pick up positive results for the first few days, why not just make the period of abstinence required two weeks?

Also why isn't there a Kelly cartoon about FDA approved gay blood yet?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mulva posted:

Unprotected anal sex for straight, married people is ok as long as they don't pull out.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hillary said may the force be with you.

This is really going to hurt her among left-leaning libertarians.

LeeMajors posted:

Other dominoes fall today? This week?

Jeb is just blowing through millions with no ROI.

Guessing that he is encouraging his donors to invest in video editing software and stock footage companies.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks, obama

quote:

The Obama administration has finalized its first change to the ban on blood donations from gay and bisexual men in 30 years, though LGBT advocates argue the new policies are still discriminatory.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released final rules on Monday that would allow gay and bisexual men to donate blood if they have been celibate for one year. Under previous rules, men who have had sex with men are banned from donating indefinitely.

“Ultimately, the 12-month deferral window is supported by the best available scientific evidence, at this point in time, relevant to the U.S. population. We will continue to actively conduct research in this area and further revise our policies as new data emerge," Dr. Peter Marks, deputy director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, wrote in a statement Monday.
The move partially rolls back a 1983 ban that has since been described as medically unwarranted. Efforts to eliminate that ban, which have crawled forward under the Obama administration, mark the biggest step in a decades-old debate on whether gay and bisexual men, who are at a higher risk for HIV/AIDS, can safely donate blood.

A leading HIV/AIDS advocacy group, the Gay Men’s Health Crisis, has said the government’s decision to keep the one-year ban — which they say is de facto a lifetime ban, remains “offensive and harmful.”

Lawmakers like Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.) and Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), longtime advocates for the policy change, have accused the FDA of singling out gay men without justification.

“A time-based deferral focusing solely on men who have sex with men is still discriminatory and fails to exclude donors based on actual risk factors,” Quigley wrote in a statement last winter when the draft rules were issued.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Another vector for the gay plague. It was at least tolerable when we only had to avoid TV and fluoridated water, now I have to get my do not resuscitate paperwork in order!

On a more serious note, is there a decent breakdown of where presidential campaign money actually goes? Does an appreciable percentage of it get redistributed to actual people like photo op restaurant owners and members of the valued locality of Bumblefuck, Nowhere instead of media conglomerates and sycophants?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Trump can't actually turn out his "voters" in Iowa, which he'll lose to (most likely) Cruz or Rubio. Santorum, Huckabee, and probably Carson drop out at this point (if Carson has cash left he'll stay in just to keep building his mailing list). In New Hampshire the top three will be Rubio, and two of Jeb!, Cruz, Kasich, or Christie. At that point the field condenses to three or four candidates plus Trump and the winnowing continues through each primary state. Trump may stay in the race just to keep trolling Jeb! but after Super Tuesday it'll be clear he won't win.

There are a couple other ways it could go down, but I think that's the most likely right now.

I appreciate the response!

I think you're underestimating both how well Trump will turn out his support, and how quickly everyone drops out of the race - I've read too many articles on how everyone has more money than anyone expected due to CU, and how even laggards like Huckabee are planning to stay in through Super Tuesday. But how much of what I'm reading is truth and how much is pundits huffing their own farts - I guess we'll see come February.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah doesn't Trump actually have a really solid ground organization and more staffers in Iowa than anyone? Why would he not be able to gotv?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Yeah doesn't Trump actually have a really solid ground organization and more staffers in Iowa than anyone? Why would he not be able to gotv?

Has yet to be seen. Are the sort of people counted as "staffers" for trump the sort that will effectively get other people to the polls? Most Trump supporters I've met (or seen interviewed) are insufferable fuckwits. Will they be able to convince anyone not already going to the polls to go?

The only successful strategy I can even imagine working if trip trump is the candidate is a last minute "vote against Hillary" push.

Then again, maybe rubes and yokels would want to ride in a gold painted trump bus with really luxurious bottled water...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

greatn posted:

Not according to that NY Times report I linked in my post. My bet is that whatever staff the Trump campaign has spends all of their time coordinating rallies, which is a lot of work, but doesn't help with GOTV.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

greatn posted:

He doesn't really have a great ground game. He also really hasn't spent that much money at this point.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MariusLecter posted:

When I donated plasma it was funny how much sex with men came up. Also funny that sex with another man before 1987 was okay.

It's 1977 because that's an estimate of the time when HIV first started to infect people in the US so they just picked a cutoff year. It was a pretty dumb and arbitrary policy and I'm glad that it's a bit more logical now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chelsea Clinton just announced she's pregnant again and expecting in the summer, probably during the convention as a stunt to steal all of Bernie's delegate support!!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I for whatever reason read that as Chelsea Manning and got really confused.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ahh, the first freeper post about it is perfection http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3375275/posts#1

quote:

Too bad Webb isn’t here to see his grandchild.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

Ahh, the first freeper post about it is perfection http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3375275/posts#1

Well that was a fun ride down a hole of crazy. Webb Hubbell for those interested.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Well that was a fun ride down a hole of crazy. Webb Hubbell for those interested.

I thought Jim Webb, and was confused.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aurubin posted:

I thought Jim Webb, and was confused.

I recommend brushing up on Clinton conspiracies because we're in for a renaissance.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Forgive the derail: I could use a recommendation for a USPOL-esque book that's come out recently. I'm getting someone Jim Crow's Last Stand, but could use a backup gift. My own reading preferences are terrible, so I'd appreciate a suggestion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

eviltastic posted:

Forgive the derail: I could use a recommendation for a USPOL-esque book that's come out recently. I'm getting someone Jim Crow's Last Stand, but could use a backup gift. My own reading preferences are terrible, so I'd appreciate a suggestion.
How depressed do you want them to get, on a scale of 1-10

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

JT Jag posted:

How depressed do you want them to get, on a scale of 1-10

Anything's fine, guy in question regularly watches/reads stuff much more gut-wrenching than I'd care for.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well there's gut-wrenching and then there's utter despair.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Ted Cruz is now the favorite to win the Republican nomination according to predict.org bets.

This is the first time Rubio has fallen off of the lead since October. The betting market had really fallen to a three way tie between Rubio, Cruz and Trump. I'd be hard pressed to come up with better percentage break downs than 33/33/33 myself (that's certainly more realistic than whatever 538 is pushing).

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

eviltastic posted:

The OP contains several recommendations

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

eviltastic posted:

Rick Perlstein's books on the rise of American conservatism are great for that despondent feeling of seeing all the same things play out the exact same way all over again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DynamicSloth posted:

Ted Cruz is now the favorite to win the Republican nomination according to predict.org bets.

This is the first time Rubio has fallen off of the lead since October. The betting market had really fallen to a three way tie between Rubio, Cruz and Trump. I'd be hard pressed to come up with better percentage break downs than 33/33/33 myself (that's certainly more realistic than whatever 538 is pushing).

Am I wrong in that from a GOP Establishment perspective, a Cruz nomination is barely any different from a Trump one? I would have thought that even if Trump fizzled out, all efforts would immediately be directed at loving over Cruz.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DynamicSloth posted:

I honestly don't think he's going to fall to the wayside like Rubio either because he's sufficiently anti-immigrant and knows all the evangelical codewords. I think it's Cruz v Trump up until the convention where Trump is the clear winner and the RNC screws him anyway.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Sydin posted:

Am I wrong in that from a GOP Establishment perspective, a Cruz nomination is barely any different from a Trump one? I would have thought that even if Trump fizzled out, all efforts would immediately be directed at loving over Cruz.

You are not wrong and it doesn't appear to matter. For one thing the establishment does not actually have any magic power to fix elections (ask Eric Cantor) for another their efforts are still divided and many of them resent Rubio almost as much as they despise Cruz.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I honestly don't think he's going to fall to the wayside like Rubio either because he's sufficiently anti-immigrant and knows all the evangelical codewords. I think it's Cruz v Trump up until the convention where Trump is the clear winner and the RNC screws him anyway.

this. he is monster bigot but the gop feels that he is safer and more "electable" pick then trump (spoiler, he isn't)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sydin posted:

Cruz is at least consistently conservative. If elected, he'd repeal Obamacare, he'd sign tax cut bills, he'd shift money from social programs to the military, he'd appoint conservative judges, etc. Nobody really knows what President Trump would do, including Donald Trump, I suspect.

On the other hand, Senator Cruz has also helped fundraise for groups that run primary campaigns against sitting Republican Senators and they definitely don't want him doing that from the White House. President Trump wouldn't care about Republican primaries.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

If it came down to Cruz and Trump the establishment will easily pick Cruz because he is actually a Republican with the same positions as them on all the issues they care about. Trump is a goddamn mad man with wildly unorthodox positions who is completely unpredictable.

Cruz's position is not without precedent. They are a party full of pricks who can't stand each other. George W's Republican party hated McCain but eventually lined up behind him in the face of loons like Huckabee and Paul.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

If it came down to Cruz and Trump the establishment will easily pick Cruz because he is actually a Republican with the same positions as them on all the issues they care about. Trump is a goddamn mad man with wildly unorthodox positions who is completely unpredictable.

I suspect quite a few would support Cruz over Trump in a primary (but would prefer literally anyone else if possible) because they believe Cruz will inevitably fail in the general election and they'd love to see him get kicked, with the added benefit of purging some of the argument that they need to nominate "true conservatives".

• Locked thread