Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh, and to get back on topic: this entire line of discussion started because people think "having a slow establishing shot" copied ANH too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityPrawnBoy
Jan 19, 2006

theres a dog trapped inside your guitar

feedmyleg posted:

Merits of having this stuff explained in the film or not, Slashfilm has a pretty comprehensive article on questions raised by TFA that we have answers to in the new larger canon:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-questions

Came to post this. Some of it is even referenced rather than random conjecture!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

computer parts posted:

Oh, and to get back on topic: this entire line of discussion started because people think "having a slow establishing shot" copied ANH too much.

Dude you responded by posting a video link from a New Hope

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hemale in pain posted:

Dude you responded by posting a video link from a New Hope

Yes, and?

Like let's imagine the line of logic here: "Oh whoops we were going to put in establishing shots, but that looks a lot like ANH and we already have a Death Star so we can't look too much like it. I guess we'll just have choppy pacing instead!"

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 21, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

computer parts posted:

Which is an incredibly tenuous connection because Luke doesn't get kidnapped by Darth Vader, interrogated, released, and then sees Vader kill Obi-Wan.

Luke was not being chased by Tie Fighters when he called the Falcon junk.

You are aware that two things can be similar without being exactly the same, right

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

gradenko_2000 posted:

Viewed only through what we see in the movies, the helmet is pretty distinctively Luke's.

The helmets are curiously similar, but sliiiiightly different. The Rebellion insignia on either side of Luke's were red, while Rey's helmet has yellow insignia. But, you could also argue that a 40-ish year old helmet bleached by the sun would turn the insignia yellow. So yeah, it is kind of plausible that it's Luke's.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aren't they just generic helmets rebels wore? I assume she just dug it out of a crashed X-wing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I keep seeing people say this but I don't get it - didn't all the rebels in the OT have pretty much the same helmet? What makes it look like Luke's specifically?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Viewed only through what we see in the movies, the helmet is pretty distinctively Luke's.

It absolutely is not Luke's. Same model, but very different paint scheme. I can't find a pic of the helmet Rey wears, but here's Luke's for reference.

The one Rey plays with was white with yellow and blue details. All X-Wing pilots in the OT had the same model helmet, but "hero" Pilots all had distinct paint schemes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Aaronicon posted:

Y-Wings were already outdated by the end of the Clone Wars. The only reason the Rebellion used them is because they were cheap and (relatively) reliable. The X-Wings were always meant to be their replacement, being as-good a bomber but massively more competent as a general fighter role (and then were replaced in that role largely by A-Wings, and then the bombing duties shifting over to the B-Wing, so I guess the real question is why didn't we see those, although again we only see what the Resistance uses, not the Republic, so who knows.)

Hey thanks for the answer!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
That said, even though it's not literally Luke's helmet, I feel like we're probably supposed to think of Luke when she wears it, just like Jakku is meant to make us think of Tatooine, the AT-AT she lives in is meant to make us think of the AT-AT they toppled on Hoth, etc.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
There are a lot of subtle callbacks in specific shots or props to ANH but it seems like a lot of the story beat things people are talking about being referential are just kind of classic Hero's Journey plot points. The pluck from obscurity, the death of the mentor, the call to action against evil, etc etc etc

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
In terms of ANH-TFA parallels, I put it to you that Poe is the Leia of The Force Awakens. He has a prior connection to the Rebellion that the other leads lack, he obtains vital secret information, he places the information in a droid after the bad guys catch up with him in the first scene, and he gets a few pot-shots in before being captured, menaced by a floaty interrogation droid, and sprung from his cell by a guy in a stormtrooper uniform.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

In terms of ANH-TFA parallels, I put it to you that Poe is the Leia of The Force Awakens. He has a prior connection to the Rebellion that the other leads lack, he obtains vital secret information, he places the information in a droid after the bad guys catch up with him in the first scene, and he gets a few pot-shots in before being captured, menaced by a floaty interrogation droid, and sprung from his cell by a guy in a stormtrooper uniform.

This is absolutely accurate. He is captured in the opening, puts the information into the droid, is tortured by Darth Vader 2.0, motivates the protagonists, needs to be rescued by the protagonist in a stormtrooper outfit, ect, ect.

What I'm saying is that Finn is totally going to hook up with Poe.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Someone ealier in the thread suggested Snoke is Plagius, with the chanting during Snoke's scenes sounding same as the opera when Palpatine & Anakin are talking about bringing someone back from the dead.

Just listened to them both on Spotify. They're pretty much exactly the same. So I'm going with Snoke = Plagius.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there some reason people think Snoke is someone from the past and not just a new villain?

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
Mads Mikkelsen is going to be playing the younger version of Max Von Sydow's Force Awakens character in Rogue One right?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

This is absolutely accurate. He is captured in the opening, puts the information into the droid, is tortured by Darth Vader 2.0, motivates the protagonists, needs to be rescued by the protagonist in a stormtrooper outfit, ect, ect.

They'll find out that they're twin brothers after they kiss.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

There is next to no similarity between Han & Kylo's meeting and Obi-Wan & Vader's meeting. There's also next to no similarity between the escapes on the Millennium Falcon other than "were both on a desert planet". You can try harder than this.

You're kidding, right? The father figure returning to the prodigal son and dropping his guard? You don't think Han knew he was risking his life? The "NO!" and shooting from the main characters in the gallery (literally) who had been too preoccupied to act before?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Yep, the first plan was for him to die in the tie fighter crash, but they liked Isaac so they gave him more to do later. That's why he just pops up at the first big fight with no explanation, and when he's asked how he survived he just says "I got ejected somewhere else, woke up that night, made my way back to the resistance." Hell of an ejector to pop him straight out of his jacket.

I don't know if it is ever mentioned in any of the movies, but at least in the books (and even the new Disney books) it gets frequently mentioned that Tie Fighters don't have any kind of real protection or escape system for the pilots. It makes me wonder if:

A. They gave this Tie Fighter ejector seats since the characters have plot armor and they didn't really think about it
B. They stole a black tie fighter, so maybe it was a special Tie for officers or something that has an ejector
C. The new order is smaller and pilots aren't easily replaceable so they gave their Tie Fighters ejector seats

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Did Starkiller base destroy different stars or drain the same star repeatedly ?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

No Pants posted:

They'll find out that they're twin brothers after they kiss.

"I love you."
"Oh HELL no."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

All joking aside, I could 100% see Poe turning out to be the first on screen (non-Droid :v:) gay character. Lucasfilm definitely seems to be pushing for more inclusivity in their depiction of characters in this world, and Isaac could easily pull of handsome, roguish, non-threatening-to-homophobes gay man.

Timeless Appeal posted:

You know, not to be too fan fictiony, but missed opportunity with dialogue...

Han: Son... we love you.

Ren: I know.

STAB.

This is a terrible idea for a film that is already dangerously close to having too many callbacks. Though it is clever. But a terrible clever idea.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

D-Pad posted:

I don't know if it is ever mentioned in any of the movies, but at least in the books (and even the new Disney books) it gets frequently mentioned that Tie Fighters don't have any kind of real protection or escape system for the pilots. It makes me wonder if:

A. They gave this Tie Fighter ejector seats since the characters have plot armor and they didn't really think about it
B. They stole a black tie fighter, so maybe it was a special Tie for officers or something that has an ejector
C. The new order is smaller and pilots aren't easily replaceable so they gave their Tie Fighters ejector seats

they stole a special forces tie fighter, which has 2 seats and extra armor and other poo poo. Normal tie fighters were 1 man death traps.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

ImpAtom posted:

Is there some reason people think Snoke is someone from the past and not just a new villain?

I'm not saying I agree with this, but: Star Wars was always supposed to be 9 episodes, so it stands to some reason that they would tie it together.

As of right now, from a purely narrative perspective, it's not really clear why Episodes 7-9 needed to be made. After 4, 5, and 6, doing the prequels made a lot of sense, given the mysteries about parentage and how the Republic fell and blah blah. And even if you somehow watched the prequels first, which end with Luke and Leia being born and the Empire's birth, you'd be an idiot not to think, "Hm, yeah, this story is definitely unfinished."

But there's nothing really in 4, 5, and 6 that says "boy this story sure left us hanging -- we need another 3 episodes to tie this bad boy up." Return of the Jedi is a pretty satisfying ending. Sure, the new film reveals that the new republic wasn't all lollipops and rainbows, but there aren't really any good threads hanging in Return of the Jedi, so you have to retroactively add them and justify the new trilogy. I'm not really sure they've done that yet, and having "it was [this guy] all along" is one way to attempt do so. It is arguably not the best way, but it's there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

There are a lot of subtle callbacks in specific shots or props to ANH but it seems like a lot of the story beat things people are talking about being referential are just kind of classic Hero's Journey plot points. The pluck from obscurity, the death of the mentor, the call to action against evil, etc etc etc

Except ANH is a classic Hero's Journey (kinda the classic Hero's Journy in American cinema) so how could they not overlap? How can you tell what's a reference to A New Hope and what's "just" the Hero's Journey? Badguy in black mask and weird voice bursts into the first scene and kills everybody looking for a secret? Secret plan hidden in a droid? Young hero is specifically a tinkerer from a desert planet with a mysterious past? S/He finds the droid? Tie fighter chase literally in the same set? Cantina scene? Maybe a thermal exhaust port oscillator and a giant spherical planet of death with a laser superweapon? It blows up a planet? Scene with pilots in the ready room discussing their attack? There's a countdown to it blowing up the planet our friends live on? Trench run? No?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

All joking aside, I could 100% see Poe turning out to be the first on screen (non-Droid :v:) gay character. Lucasfilm definitely seems to be pushing for more inclusivity in their depiction of characters in this world, and Isaac could easily pull of handsome, roguish, non-threatening-to-homophobes gay man.

All jokes aside Poe and Finn have an absurd amount of charisma together. Admittedly Issac has an absurd amount of charisma with a rolling droid so that isn't saying much.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
When the clown looking lady in the bar called the first order did anyone else think the word she used for "droid" was "gundam"?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

All jokes aside Poe and Finn have an absurd amount of charisma together. Admittedly Issac has an absurd amount of charisma with a rolling droid so that isn't saying much.

Yeah, I was kinda iffy about how "Star Wars" the movie felt until Finn busted Poe out and they jacked the Tie Fighter. The scenes of those two interacting are what made me say "Yep, this is Star Wars."

E: What I'm saying is Episode 8 needs to consist mostly of those two going on space adventures while Rey is out doing the Jedi thing with Luke.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 21, 2015

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Movie owned bones. Is the 3D version any good? Want to see it again so might try 3D this time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

raditts posted:

That's a good point from a symbolic standpoint, but on a practical level I figured it was because he's overcompensating so hard that he tried to do some ~*~SIKK MODZ~*~ to his lightsaber to make the laser hilt and made it all hosed up and unstable.

In other news, TFA made 17 Road Chips this weekend.
Yeah I figure he either "overclocked" it, or hosed up the construction and that's why it's so janky.

The crossguard isn't actually there for blocking, it's to exhaust extra plasma so his lightsaber doesn't blow up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Frankston posted:

Movie owned bones. Is the 3D version any good? Want to see it again so might try 3D this time.

The 3D is awesome, even just for the opening.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

computer parts posted:

You can have a perspective/shoulder shot of them watching the wastes. You know, something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8
Say what you will about Lucas, but this is the sort of thing he's much, much better than JJ at. This whole sequence is just four static shots, two of which are basically the same of Luke's face. The first shot in particular - ten seconds long, at a distance, and you can't even make out any details on the hero - is this almost painting-like composition. It's slow and lingering, and it works really well. And yes, even the prequels are filled with bits like this - long establishing shots and highly composed static shots that convey what they need to in just how they're framed. It invites the viewer to just sit and take it in.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a more active style of direction - I can picture a binary sunset scene with lots of cutting and closeups on Luke's face, and it still more or less works, but I doubt it would have the simplicity or power of what Lucas does there. It's one of the things that has made Star Wars what it is. There aren't a lot of individual shots in TFA that stand out for me, compared with any of the six other movies. I expect Rian Johnson will be much better on that front, though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

When the clown looking lady in the bar called the first order did anyone else think the word she used for "droid" was "gundam"?

I caught that. Grinned like a nerd.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Frankston posted:

Rey jumps straight at the camera to catch a rope, and at one point a Star Destroyer pokes you in the eye.

Those are the two mandatory OMG 3D!!!! moments but the rest was pretty good!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Frankston posted:

I saw the IMAX 3D, and I liked it a lot. The 3D wasn't over the top and was relatively well done for the most part. Happy with my decision.

"Mango Sentinel posted:

Yeah I figure he either "overclocked" it, or hosed up the construction and that's why it's so janky.

The crossguard isn't actually there for blocking, it's to exhaust extra plasma so his lightsaber doesn't blow up.

The Visual Dictionary shows that the Kyber crystal in his saber is cracked.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

It's neat, especially on the IMAX. There's very few obvious poo poo coming out of the screen to hit you in the face. And it adds some neat visceral depth to things like Rey's flashback, especially the Bespin part.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Say what you will about Lucas, but this is the sort of thing he's much, much better than JJ at. This whole sequence is just four static shots, two of which are basically the same of Luke's face. The first shot in particular - ten seconds long, at a distance, and you can't even make out any details on the hero - is this almost painting-like composition. It's slow and lingering, and it works really well. And yes, even the prequels are filled with bits like this - long establishing shots and highly composed static shots that convey what they need to in just how they're framed. It invites the viewer to just sit and take it in.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a more active style of direction - I can picture a binary sunset scene with lots of cutting and closeups on Luke's face, and it still more or less works, but I doubt it would have the simplicity or power of what Lucas does there. It's one of the things that has made Star Wars what it is. There aren't a lot of individual shots in TFA that stand out for me, compared with any of the six other movies. I expect Rian Johnson will be much better on that front, though.

Plus, that long shot allowed Williams to work his magic - I'd argue that at least 60% of why the Binary Sunset scene works is the music. In TFA I didn't really see any moments where the music was allowed to set the scene, and we didn't get any themes that felt as memorable as a result.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I heard that, too. I'm glad it wasn't just me. I have never even done/watched a thing involving a gundam before and it stood out.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Rey jumps straight at the camera to catch a rope, and at one point a Star Destroyer pokes you in the eye.

Those are the two mandatory OMG 3D!!!! moments but the rest was pretty good!

There's also a scene where some Tie Fighter blaster fire lands on the theater side of a static piece of scenery. The ground appears to jut out at the audience a little bit during that shot. That was the one gratuitous thing I saw. I kind of liked the 3D Star Destroyer because it was nice to get a feel for the scale of the thing.

E: Oh, now my last post shows up. Thanks SALR!

While I'm at it, can someone catch me up on which Republic planet probably got destroyed with all the people gathering on it? That was a big question for Star Wars nerds I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I really hope Poe and Finn end up in a relationship together. On 2nd viewing their interactions were so perfect and done in such a way that it would work well. Plus the rage from the people who got pissed that one of the main characters is black would be delightful.

• Locked thread