Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

jsoh posted:

ermor game is constantly pushing the borders of human discovery, for instance did you know that a wraith lord cannot be lead by a commander with only undead leader? wraith lord despite being undead requires a regular leader, unlike wights or other brain having undeads. extremely hosed up but true

That's an enemy commander mind controlled into a unit? Weird oversight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Enslave turns stuff into units.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is scary and hilarious at the same time. I worry about expansion, but hopefully I can survive enough to poo poo on everyone's parade, because

Nuclearmonkee posted:

After you've got a stable BoT and Vengeful Waters down you are generally rather safe and universally reviled, which means you have won in spirit even if you don't win the game :v:
this is the true objective of Dominions.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
enslave always does that, but its enslave turning an enemy undead commander into a not undead unit, except that its tagged undead and im certain it will act completetly like an undead in battle, except for the part where it cant be lead by a undead leader

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

This is scary and hilarious at the same time. I worry about expansion, but hopefully I can survive enough to poo poo on everyone's parade, because

this is the true objective of Dominions.

LA Atlantiis troops are really good and you can easily get your 15 provs on mournful and the ice guys.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pure Airyan skull shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Non-sacreds get a national flag and sacreds get an ideological flag. Except for the America analogue, because liberalism isn't an ideology it's human nature.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

LA Atlantiis troops are really good and you can easily get your 15 provs on mournful and the ice guys.

Turn 1 report:

Hmmm... I don't remember ordering 2 attacks. Wait, one is in my cap? How?

:supaburn:

Wait, wait, wait, my PD can easily kill sea dogs.

That guy in the back is my PD commander. :suicide:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Since when do they have ice elementals with pd?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Since when do they have ice elementals with pd?

They don't. :cripes:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

lol was that a test game or the actual game. Because if that was the actual game then hahahaha.

Was the ice elemental from a bottle held by the enemy commander guy or something?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

Turn 1 report:

Hmmm... I don't remember ordering 2 attacks. Wait, one is in my cap? How?

:supaburn:

Wait, wait, wait, my PD can easily kill sea dogs.

That guy in the back is my PD commander. :suicide:

Well played

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you are sieged turn 2 by a indie with a bottle of water i think you actually go ai unless you have a really strong pretender

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I dont think anyone will blame you going ai right there

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I loving love Dominions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How are u posted:

I loving love Dominions.

Translated: "I'm one of his neighbors and I love him turning to AI already :P"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

How are u posted:

I loving love Dominions watching my neighbors getting brutally owned by deer.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I thought that was a CoE thing

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
hey, there are a few new players posting in the last few pages so i put up a newbie game. it won't start until after the holidays but you can sign up for it right now. check the pgs thread for more details on how to sign up, if you don't already have a brainwrinkle account

Samog fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 24, 2015

namad
Nov 7, 2013
50% off during winter sale
http://store.steampowered.com/app/259060/

are people still playing much? is now a good time to get into it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
There is never a good time to get into Dominions 4. Even lengthy unemployment/periods of study.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
People are still playing plenty, there is always Good and Cool times to be had playing Dom4 with goons!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

How are u posted:

People are still playing plenty, there is always Goodhorrible and Coolunfun times to be had playing Dom4 with goons!

Ftfy

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

namad posted:

We are cursed to play for all of eternity, endlessly repeating the same futile cycle.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

namad posted:

There is a noobie game available to sign* up for right now. http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/314

*in blood

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Gonna smash the wheel. Stop it from turning ever again

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Speleothing posted:

Gonna smash the wheel. Stop it from turning ever again

Shai'tan, is that you?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Shai'tan, is that you?

Shhh, don't say that name!

/tugs braid.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Uh, what a terrible turn for this thread.

/smooths dress

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is giving my Vanherse's Eyes of Aiming, buffing their precision, and having them shoot Golden Arbalests, Thunder Bows, or Bows of War while my Vanadrotts and Vanjarls are shooting lightning during a storm a bad idea? Even halved, their precision will still be quite good, but does the 50% chance to lose a missile apply to commanders too? Also is range effected at all? And finally, is there any reason someone should be using a Thunder Bow when they can cast Lightning Bolt in the first place?

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I am pretty sure the 50% missile loss applies to all projectiles but maybe not thunder bows.

Thunder bows respond to high strength scores, while lightning bolts don't care about strength; at 12 strength your guys are probably better off with the bolts, which do more damage and also fatigue/stun damage on the side, but if you have some Strength of Giants / Rush of Strength / Blood Bless / Throne of Zeal+Might / or whatever going on this could change. However, even with all that lightning bolts don't cost 10 gems to make. If you get to Orb Lightning, it's more damage and effect than normal lightning, but has important range constraints, so whether to use it depends if you're worried about enemy evocations wrecking the guys just behind your frontline.

As far as the other two items go, I think you'd honestly be better off with just giving them to a regular infantry commander for 40 gold that can be recruited without a fort-turn. You lose a couple precision in storms, and their strength scores aren't as good for lightning bows, but they're totally fine for carrying arbalests or bows of war and other items like that around, and cost hugely less. You can (and should) still just use Wind Guide for precision boosts, not casting Aim.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

The Bramble posted:

Is giving my Vanherse's Eyes of Aiming, buffing their precision, and having them shoot Golden Arbalests, Thunder Bows, or Bows of War while my Vanadrotts and Vanjarls are shooting lightning during a storm a bad idea? Even halved, their precision will still be quite good, but does the 50% chance to lose a missile apply to commanders too? Also is range effected at all? And finally, is there any reason someone should be using a Thunder Bow when they can cast Lightning Bolt in the first place?
I'd save your Air Gems for air boosters.
Even then, if you want to spend gems on Vanherses, it's probably better to give each one of them 2 air gems and then use Stormpower ->Summon Air Elemental. Ultra fast flying ethereal size 6 tramplers with super combat stats during storms are no joke.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
most of those bows should ignore the 50% projectile destruction because they're magic weapons, i think

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
This thread convinced me to get Dominions 4 and I'm looking forward to it in the new year. Special thanks to everybody who gave new player advice in the thread, like Turin Turambar, fool_of_sound and Boing! Also thanks to Nuclearmonkee for his excellent videos! You guys rock!

There's a lot of great information on Desura and other sites as well. However, it seems like all of this information isn't very centralized. I'm thinking of doing a new player guide kind of thing as I learn more about Dominions 4 myself, and hopefully include or link to all the other great analysis posted around. Is that even appropriate at this point in the game's lifecycle, and would it be okay to post it in this thread if so?

Regardless, thanks again to everyone who's contributed something cool about Dominions 4 online! Looking forward to getting used to things and joining a MP game sometime!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Enjoy the game!

And yeah, it's a pity there isn't a good, consolidated information site, an "official" wiki for Dominions 4, as this game really would benefit from it. Part of the information is in the manual (but as some people will warn you, the manual also lies!), part on Desura, part on small wikis, part on the Inspector site, part on his forum and others.

edit: bizarrely, Japanese fans have a better wiki than we English-speakers!

edit 2: oh god they have Dominions 4 memes with Idolmaster.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26556405
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24995782

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 1, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

CatsPajamas posted:

There's a lot of great information on Desura and other sites as well.

be careful with that, there's a lot of bad information there too

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ask a question of 5 people in IRC, get 5 different responses. All of which are wrong.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Carcer posted:

Ask a question of 5 people in IRC, get 5 different responses. All of which are wrong.

You know that old saying: "If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask"?

I think this applies here. If wrong answers trigger you, better never ask questions and do it your own, also wrong way. Embrace your wrongness! :smugbird:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Dom4goons are the friends that told you to memorize Magic Missile as a level 1 wizard.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Dom4goons are the friends that told you to memorize Magic Missile as a level 1 wizard.

Heh. I did the same thing in Baldur's Gate, before I learned the hard way that a level 1 wizard spends most of her time bludgeoning people with her staff. :v:

Today when I replay that game, I always take that weird necromantic life-leech spell so my squishy wizard gets a one-time self-heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Just Raise PD

• Locked thread