Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

When you don't have a car you generally choose to live somewhere near a transit hub. People with cara don't factor that in to where they choose to live so they don't understand how someone can live and work without a car.

This is a really, really good point.

I don't see why car vs. no-car is so often presented as some kind of intractable struggle, though. I have a car. I like my car an awful lot. But what I really, really love is not having to use my car unless I want to (which, most often, I don't). I also like good transit as a driver, as well as a transit passenger, because when more people use transit, fewer people are cluttering the roads when I want to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Transit is a good thing, and it's such a shame that the general populace's opinion of transit is "Oh I can't use that, it's for poor people and *gags* LABORERS!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Transit is a good thing, and it's such a shame that the general populace's opinion of transit is "Oh I can't use that, it's for poor people and *gags* LABORERS!"

My general feeling about transit is that, in its current state, I don't think I'd use it if I had an actual schedule because Calgary Transit can't loving maintain their schedule to save their goddamn lives! I'm probably going to take the airport bus back from the airport on Wednesday, for example, but I'm really, really leery of taking the bus to the airport because I'm quite sure it will be horribly off-schedule.

This hasn't been nearly as much of an issue in other cities I've lived in and travelled in, though, so I think it's just that Calgary Transit really, really loving sucks all the time in every possible way.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah Calgary is a bit of a shithole and I don't blame anybody for not using their public amenities. My experience comes from Vancouver though when there was some op-ed piece about buses from downtown and one of the writer's complaints was that these people apparently hadn't bathed since THIS MORNING and one guy was even SWEATY AND DIRTY and dressed in CONSTRUCTION CLOTHES and HOW DARE HE.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

PT6A posted:

My general feeling about transit is that, in its current state, I don't think I'd use it if I had an actual schedule because Calgary Transit can't loving maintain their schedule to save their goddamn lives! I'm probably going to take the airport bus back from the airport on Wednesday, for example, but I'm really, really leery of taking the bus to the airport because I'm quite sure it will be horribly off-schedule.

This hasn't been nearly as much of an issue in other cities I've lived in and travelled in, though, so I think it's just that Calgary Transit really, really loving sucks all the time in every possible way.

This is pretty much the experience in Halifax, but it's getting slowly better every year. You'll still wait an hour for a 20 minute route sometimes, but that's usually a matter of Halifax drivers being absolute shitheads that day.

The actual problem with transit is that people outside the city that don't give a gently caress about anything outside of their terrible suburb get to vote on the transit situation inside the city.

Edit:

Gus Hobbleton posted:

My experience comes from Vancouver though when there was some op-ed piece about buses from downtown and one of the writer's complaints was that these people apparently hadn't bathed since THIS MORNING and one guy was even SWEATY AND DIRTY and dressed in CONSTRUCTION CLOTHES and HOW DARE HE.

Yeah those guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Yeah Calgary is a bit of a shithole and I don't blame anybody for not using their public amenities. My experience comes from Vancouver though when there was some op-ed piece about buses from downtown and one of the writer's complaints was that these people apparently hadn't bathed since THIS MORNING and one guy was even SWEATY AND DIRTY and dressed in CONSTRUCTION CLOTHES and HOW DARE HE.

To add insult to injury, the C-Train line runs right loving by the airport, but does not actually connect to it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I get that whenever I try to visit CFB Uplands. I can either wait an hour at Get Mugged And Shot Station for a residential route that might never show up, or I can just go to the airport and walk for a kilometre and a half.

It could be better but good luck getting all the downtown voters to approve improvements to someone else's lovely suburb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

I get that whenever I try to visit CFB Uplands. I can either wait an hour at Get Mugged And Shot Station for a residential route that might never show up, or I can just go to the airport and walk for a kilometre and a half.

Kilometre and a half ain't poo poo. It's seven kilometers from the nearest C-Train station to the airport, because the station is on the opposite side of the airport from the terminal, and it turns eastbound after that instead of continuing north to the terminal. We just built that extension a few years ago, too. I have no idea what the hell the city was thinking.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

One of the more interesting facts that came to my attention during the Vancouver transit referendum was that among west coast cities, Translink was not only a leader in terms of ridership (20% of commuters vs SF's 15%) but also in terms of variety of incomes and professions among users. Transit is most heavily used among low income earners, but there is significant use among high income earners too. The study stated that more people in Finance and Real Estate take transit than Construction workers (20% vs 12%). This is in contrast to places like LA, where transit is apparently near exclusively used by the poor.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Hahah did that op-ed really happen?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Cultural Imperial posted:

That sounds like the Province, all right. Any time bike lanes or transit come up the guy who runs the editorial section starts going on about how comfortable and convenient his car is and how dare Gregor try to take it away from him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tons of government workers take transit in Ottawa. Because gently caress parking downtown.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PT6A posted:

It's better now because there are apps that use the GPS location of the bus to tell you when it will actually arrive...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jordan7hm posted:

Tons of government workers take transit in Ottawa. Because gently caress parking downtown.

This is actually the key. Parking policy above all others determines car usage in an area. Some people advocate more on the road side of things, but that just leads to crippling congestion. Tackle the parking end of things and you can have smooth flowing roads AND low car usage. When "the market" is actually determining the price and amount of parking, driving into a city generally becomes ridiculously expensive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's better now because there are apps that use the GPS location of the bus to tell you when it will actually arrive...

Are you being facetious? Knowing when the bus or train will arrive does not solve the problem which is that, if it's late, your entire schedule could be blown. Maybe it would be marginally more useful for discretionary trips, but if you have appointments or schedules, it's still massively inconvenient.

I don't think a day has gone by in the entire past year where the C-Train hasn't had "schedule disruptions" at least once. It could be a ten-minute delay, or it could be a two-hour delay because some loving retard killed himself driving his car into the train. It boggles the mind why they even claim to have a schedule at this point.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i have an expensive car i love but i haven't driven it in at least three weeks. i live adjacent to a train that stops two blocks from my office and i can walk five minutes to do almost all my shopping. i would probably move to asia or europe if a car free lifestyle wasn't possible in vancouver. freedom from cartyranny

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

flakeloaf posted:

Addiction's a hell of a drug :(. Sorry to hear it man. Also how on earth do you do that and avoid dangerous offender status?

I haven't a bloody clue, I believe minor criminal records weren't readily shared between provinces pre-digitization in the 2000s, which probably contributed to him evading prison for so long.

That and they truly don't care in rural BC, law enforcement was a joke up until like the turn of this century.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Femtosecond posted:

One of the more interesting facts that came to my attention during the Vancouver transit referendum was that among west coast cities, Translink was not only a leader in terms of ridership (20% of commuters vs SF's 15%) but also in terms of variety of incomes and professions among users. Transit is most heavily used among low income earners, but there is significant use among high income earners too. The study stated that more people in Finance and Real Estate take transit than Construction workers (20% vs 12%). This is in contrast to places like LA, where transit is apparently near exclusively used by the poor.

I bet this is cause driving into downtown Vancouver is a pain in the rear end at all times of the day and parking in a garage is crazy expensive. Not that I'm saying Highway 1 should do anything more but lightly skirt Vancouver city limits but that's my experience driving around all over the place for work.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PT6A posted:

Are you being facetious? Knowing when the bus or train will arrive does not solve the problem which is that, if it's late, your entire schedule could be blown. Maybe it would be marginally more useful for discretionary trips, but if you have appointments or schedules, it's still massively inconvenient.

I don't think a day has gone by in the entire past year where the C-Train hasn't had "schedule disruptions" at least once. It could be a ten-minute delay, or it could be a two-hour delay because some loving retard killed himself driving his car into the train. It boggles the mind why they even claim to have a schedule at this point.

The answer to this is almost always increasing the frequency. Passengers care less if a bus breaks down when the next bus on the same route (and corresponding connecting routes) is scheduled to arrive every five to ten minutes. The other side is that to have a truly effective transit system that people can rely on, you need transit priority, either in the form of special lanes and signals that allow transit to bypass traffic, or building an (expensive) elevated or underground system that doesn't compete with cars at all.

How do you get a city to agree to pay the price for good transit when so many of its citizens are addicted to single-occupant automobile travel? Well...

But criticizing transit for being unreliable when your region has made policy decisions to not adequately fund a proper system is unfair and misguided. At least, I can tell you from experience that those working in transit find the situation of chronically unreliable routes every bit as frustrating as you. Not only do you feel like you're letting your people down, but struggling to bring a route back on time can lead to stressed operators feeling pressured to make unsafe maneuvers.

Edit: FWIW, providing real time information is one of the cheapest, effective ways to boost transit use. Sure, if a bus is late, it's late. But knowing one way or the other in advance gives passengers a sense of security and the opportunity to take an alternate route if necessary.

Baronjutter posted:

This is actually the key. Parking policy above all others determines car usage in an area. Some people advocate more on the road side of things, but that just leads to crippling congestion. Tackle the parking end of things and you can have smooth flowing roads AND low car usage. When "the market" is actually determining the price and amount of parking, driving into a city generally becomes ridiculously expensive.

Precisely. On-street free parking is a relic that should be done away with in almost all urban centres. Think of how much bus, bike and even car capacity is deleted by a single row of on-street parking. Cities that experiment with drastically reducing available parking in their downtown cores tend to notice revitalized downtown areas, as less parking ironically promotes more pedestrians which means more people actually using the downtown services and shops.

Remove all downtown on-street parking and heavily tax other forms of parking to subsidize effective transit, IMO.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 21, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Car culture sucks and I would love to be able to sell mine off and take transit.

But that is not usually an option for a lot of people across many of the (poorly designed) cities across this country. "Move closer to transit" is also a stupid thing to say knowing full well the current disaster that is our housing bubble. Moving costs quite a bit and how many people are making enough money to do it every time they change jobs (the average Canadian is going to work 6+ jobs in their lifetime). The majority of posters here live in city centers or have had a relatively financially stable life where their jobs and money have never been thrown into the blender so its hard to relate to the increasingly large number of people that just dont have those luxuries or are falling further behind the income gap.

There is so much more to this than you people always let on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I live in an extremely transit friendly place, New Westminster, but I need a car for work because bussing to my office would take 1.5 hours instead of a 20 min drive thanks to TransLink TransLinking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Car culture sucks and I would love to be able to sell mine off and take transit.

But that is not usually an option for a lot of people across many of the (poorly designed) cities across this country. "Move closer to transit" is also a stupid thing to say knowing full well the current disaster that is our housing bubble. Moving costs quite a bit and how many people are making enough money to do it every time they change jobs (the average Canadian is going to work 6+ jobs in their lifetime). The majority of posters here live in city centers or have had a relatively financially stable life where their jobs and money have never been thrown into the blender so its hard to relate to the increasingly large number of people that just dont have those luxuries or are falling further behind the income gap.

There is so much more to this than you people always let on.

Most of the people I've met who've moved to the suburbs aren't actually saving money as a result, they just wanted more space. Then they bitch about how they need a car for everything and can't come out drinking with me because they can't afford a taxi (while asking me to make the equally long pilgrimage to come drink at their house).

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PT6A posted:

Yes.

But for me it was useful, so I wouldn't wait around in the middle of winter for close to an hour for a bus that was scheduled to come ever 15 minutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Yes.

But for me it was useful, so I wouldn't wait around in the middle of winter for close to an hour for a bus that was scheduled to come ever 15 minutes.

Yes, that is a plus. I wish the real-time info on the train boards were a bit more accurate, mind you. They're anything from three minutes to 15 minutes off (occasionally in the wrong direction -- sometimes the board will say the next train is coming in 15 minutes and, lo, it'll show up one minute after I've decided to walk instead).

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I just use the Transit app by Google.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

Most of the people I've met who've moved to the suburbs aren't actually saving money as a result, they just wanted more space. Then they bitch about how they need a car for everything and can't come out drinking with me because they can't afford a taxi (while asking me to make the equally long pilgrimage to come drink at their house).

I think he's talking more about how many people can't afford to move literally every time they change jobs, because these days it happens a hell of a lot more often whether through less job security or how sometimes the only way to advance in a non-silly amount of time is to jump ship to another company. Not that suburbs are cheaper.

Especially if kids are involved and moving involves uprooting them, switching schools, and losing most of their friends. Or you change jobs and your spouse doesn't, etc... There's costs other than money involved.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Worst part is you can build suburbs that are very self supportive and easily serviced by public transit, but city planners are never told to do this and instead are told to just pile up crappy houses as far as the eye can see in stupid patterns that make navigating those hell holes even more tiresome.

Also doesnt help that vacancies in most large city cores are at or near zero currently, and anything you can find is at astronomical prices which forces people out into the crappy new areas where renting and buying is cheaper.

Like I said, its not a situation where one change will solve anything. There are way too many factors involved outside of the vehicle itself.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 21, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Another day another far-left social engineering cultural Marxist government telling parents what they can't do with their kids!!!1!111

quote:

In promising to enact all of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, the federal Liberals have agreed to remove a section of law that allows parents to spank their kids without fear of prosecution.

Groups that oppose corporal punishment of children have spent many years urging successive governments in Ottawa to repeal Section 43 of the Criminal Code that permits parents and teachers to use reasonable force to correct the behaviour of youngsters in their care.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which heard thousands of tales of physical abuse inside Indian residential schools, said in its final report that “corporal punishment is a relic of a discredited past and has no place in Canadian schools or homes.” The repeal of Section 43 was No. 6 on a list of 94 “calls to action” included in the report, which was made public last week.

When asked if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s promise to act on every TRC recommendation meant repealing the so-called spanking law, a spokesman for Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould would only say the government remains committed to implementing all of the commission’s calls to action.

White ppl all paranoid that the state wants they're children. Lmao 😂

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Especially if kids are involved...

This is something most of these clowns wont even consider since the majority of women dont want to spend a few hours with them let alone have children with them. Just load up a six year old and toddler onto an overcrowded bus in the middle of winter, transit to their daycare then take another bus/train to work all the while hoping there arent frequent delays causing you to be late and losing you your job. THEN after work do the whole thing in reverse hoping you can make it back to the daycare in time before it closes and if you are late too often that place refuses to take your children next year so you have to find a new daycare thats probably even farther out of the way.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cultural Imperial posted:

It was posted in this thread or maybe another Canada-based thread some time ago (months? years?) and I don't remember enough details to find it. It was about a specific bus route, written by some woman who complained endlessly about the how dreadful the entire thing was and how after she got off the bus everyone could tell just by looking at her that she had been through the ordeal or whatever.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Drunk hicks run down cyclists all the time in rural areas.
wtf kind of "rural area" are you talking about that cycling is feasible.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Kraftwerk posted:

No it's not expensive, you're just not being paid enough. Driving in Singapore is expensive as you have to spend north of 20 grand on a certificate of entitlement before you can even be permitted to buy a car. The only things expensive about driving in Canada is the racketeering the insurance companies get up to.

I rather enjoy being able to reach my destination in a timely manner on my own terms and with the comfort of a heating system that lets me get there without worrying about the weather.

This is the most Canadian answer.

"You are a poor and it's much more expensive elsewhere plus I enjoy paying large premiums for ***CONVENIENCE***"

Public transit is a mess across Canada and "well you could just drive your car and leave transit for the poors" attitude is the reason why it will never get any better.

They attempted BRT in Winnipeg and people actually complained they were building bus specific roads instead of pouring more money into potholes.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 21, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CLAM DOWN posted:

I live in an extremely transit friendly place, New Westminster, but I need a car for work because bussing to my office would take 1.5 hours instead of a 20 min drive thanks to TransLink TransLinking.

Translink is in fact pretty good if your destinations are Downtown and Home but it's hilarious otherwise.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pointers posted:

wtf kind of "rural area" are you talking about that cycling is feasible.

I encounter cyclists riding on rural roads with broken, potholed pavement and a gravel shoulder, marked at 80Km/h all the time. I guess there just aren't any better places to ride a skinny-tired road bike in spandex.

Sometimes there's a group of them, and they want to keep a conversation, so they ride in double file as they crest the blind hill, never reverting to single file for traffic to pass.

York Region sucks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Calling York Region "rural" is a stretch unless you're talking like north of Newmarket or west of Aurora.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sliderule posted:

I encounter cyclists riding on rural roads with broken, potholed pavement and a gravel shoulder, marked at 80Km/h all the time. I guess there just aren't any better places to ride a skinny-tired road bike in spandex.

Sometimes there's a group of them, and they want to keep a conversation, so they ride in double file as they crest the blind hill, never reverting to single file for traffic to pass.

York Region sucks.
":qq: I have to share the road with slower moving road users :qq:"

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

THC posted:

:qq: I have to share the road with slower moving road users :qq:

More like :qq: People risk their lives and the lives of others so they can ride a bike for exercise when stationary bikes have existed for loving years :qq:

These people aren't commuting. They're biking from point A to point A, risking their lives in the process. The roads I'm talking about are not maintained well enough for those skinny-rear end road tires. The cyclists must continually swerve around broken pavement. It's a dumb place to ride a bike.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jesus christ nobody cares about your motorist foibles

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

People cycle on remote roads because it's fun. Cycling is fun. Stationary bikes are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

THC posted:

People cycle on remote roads because it's fun. Cycling is fun. Stationary bikes are not.

Doing something which is fun is good even if it endangers one's self and others, got it.