Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just found out that the issue we sent the car in for this morning and expected to pay a few hundred dollars to have fixed is going to cost us a few hundred dollars, but when they looked at it, they found like fifty other things wrong that'll keep it from passing inspection and will cost approximately $3000 to deal with. Life is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
tell them no thank you to the other stuff and off you go

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Allen Wren posted:

Just found out that the issue we sent the car in for this morning and expected to pay a few hundred dollars to have fixed is going to cost us a few hundred dollars, but when they looked at it, they found like fifty other things wrong that'll keep it from passing inspection and will cost approximately $3000 to deal with. Life is hosed.

At that point, if you've finished paying on it you might as well start saving up for a new used one instead of biting the bullet on that. That sucks. Def never pay more than the blue book for a car in repairs on a car.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kashuno posted:

tell them no thank you to the other stuff and off you go

That's what we're doing, but it does make the 340-mile drive we're planning on in the next few days seem especially risky. And also the fact that some of these things are things that may just make the car take five shits and die at any moment, such as the degrading serpentine belt...

Authorman posted:

At that point, if you've finished paying on it you might as well start saving up for a new used one instead of biting the bullet on that. That sucks. Def never pay more than the blue book for a car in repairs on a car.

We got it cash on the barrelhead used like three years ago, so that's not an issue, but our cash situation is pretty explosively lovely. (Which is why my Mafia Secret Santa gift is probably going to be late. It is nearly entirely assembled, but...ugh.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 21, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Awful mechanics do this all the time. You need to find a non-awful mechanic, friend. I recently had a friend who had to bring a mechanic to small claims court because they, according to the other mechanic, literally twisted off an essential pin in a part of the car so they could force my friend to pay for the expensive repair of that. In addition, dude was using plastic zipties in an engine lmao. A lot of them are crooks and its possible that those things aren't actually wrong, that they are now that hes seen your car, or that they really are wrong and you need to get them fixed. Good luck, friend.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BabeLiker90 posted:

Awful mechanics do this all the time. You need to find a non-awful mechanic, friend. I recently had a friend who had to bring a mechanic to small claims court because they, according to the other mechanic, literally twisted off an essential pin in a part of the car so they could force my friend to pay for the expensive repair of that. In addition, dude was using plastic zipties in an engine lmao. A lot of them are crooks and its possible that those things aren't actually wrong, that they are now that hes seen your car, or that they really are wrong and you need to get them fixed. Good luck, friend.

This is our first time with this mechanic, because we moved some time ago and got tired of driving across town to our usual joint, and the reviews and word of mouth from people we trust were really good. We may need to get back to the usual joint.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a small little man with an adidas sports jacket over his shirt and tie told me today that job stands for "journey of bankruptcy" as he tried to add me on facebook on his cracked screen phone

luckily he wasn't able to add me so i just gave him the name of front man of sonic youth

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

mr.capps posted:

a small little man with an adidas sports jacket over his shirt and tie told me today that job stands for "journey of bankruptcy" as he tried to add me on facebook on his cracked screen phone

luckily he wasn't able to add me so i just gave him the name of front man of sonic youth

I told you that in confidence, Capps. :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mafia thread I am studying for a professional test and I have forgotten most elements of the theory behind engineering except for "always ask for more time and more money" and "make the vendor do it for you" and I really wish I could just put those two as the answer to pretty much all questions

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

measure with micrometer

mark with chalk

cut with axe

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Measure once, cut twice.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tell the vendor to measure and cut.

Include fines and compensation for time line issues if the vendor doesn't deliver.

Clap hands, problem solved.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I'd probably just write down hide in the bathroom until someone who knows what they are doing does it for me because I am fearful, incompetent, and brutally honest about both.

I have never been hired for any job in which they asked me a question first.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
HE CAME BACK IN THE LIBIARY OH gently caress!

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
The answer is clear dog. Become his bestie forever and destroy capitalism, side by side. I don't know why you didn't do this before.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

HE CAME BACK IN THE LIBIARY OH gently caress!

quick pretend you are masterbating

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

quick pretend you are masterbating

one up that and actually masturbate while staring at him

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

one up that and actually masturbate while staring at him

Don't forget to lick your lips.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Thank you Secret Santa! I've been wanting this game.

I got Codenames!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I got my secret Santa!!!

That you so much Samfucius for the coolest looking hobbit poster ever!! I am deff framing this.

(I would post a photo of it but I can't figure out how to do that from my phone, so here's a link to the image: https://www.etsy.com/listing/116760804/the-hobbit-art-print-tolkien-lord-of-the)

The card games look super fun too and I'm excited to try them out! :)

Thank you again sam, you are a super Santa!!!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Adventures is cleaning up a hoard, Day 2 (it's been many days since D1, but this is the first day I've had the opportunity).

Today's cleaning adventure has been an emotional rollercoaster. The first day I was emptying bags of clothes and today I went through 5 giant blue tupperware bins. Of those bins I've kept a small pile of paperwork with sensitive information that will need to be taken to my mom's work to be shredded, and some various useful items. The best find in those bins was 7 unopened sticks of deoderant. They were not in a bag, but scattered within the bin, so I have no explanation. Other things in those bins include old high school notes of mine, about 300 unopened pieces of mail (most were bank statements), actual bags of garbage, and a couple of socks.

After the bins were done though I seem to have moved beyond the garbage phase of the hoard and reached actual important things. This is where things got tricky and the emotions kicked in.

First I found a box of a couple of hundred unorganized photos, which is nice but also annoys me since one of the gifts for my mom this year was me going through a huge effort to get maybe 50-75 photos developed and then here also I found all these already developed in a box. I've hidden this box and after she unwraps my gift I'll give her the box, so I am co-oping it into my gift.

After that was a box marked "! Video Games !" which contained about a dozen old Atari games. Nearby were a couple of Atari joysticks, and I can see the actual system up on a shelf near the ceiling, so that was super awesome.

Then I found a couple of boxes of my mother's teenage years. There was a box full of little keepsakes (and one little ringbox full of hair, which was extremely weird), but also a box of letters she had received and notepads with drafts of the letters she sent out. These were from when she was 18 and moved across the country for about 4 months but wrote her friends at home. I am a bad person and read some of these letters but really, absolutely every single one of you would have done the same, do not judge me. I learned that my mom was a bit of a slut, which is awesome. She had two boyfriends at home she wrote letters to, plus urged her BFF not to hit on one of those boyfriends because she knew he would cheat, but then also hooked up with guys while she was away. GJ mom. She also lamented at one point that the thought of being a mother was disgusting to her, which I knew I'd find in there if I looked, but she was 18 so whatever.

Then I found a birthday card from my step-father to me wherein he signed it off as "One day I'll be your Dad" and then wrote his name, and I just started crying uncontrollably, so I've stopped for the day.

That has been my update you can't unread it etc.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I just watched the space battle movie, it was really good, and JakeP is a piece of poo poo for spoiling it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I forgot I also found this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNk1XM7xk0Q

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Asiina that box of hair may be your baby hair. Locks of hair weren't really an odd keepsake in the older days.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

I just watched the space battle movie, it was really good, and JakeP is a piece of poo poo for spoiling it.

I agree it was really good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

merk posted:

Thank you Secret Santa! I've been wanting this game.

I got Codenames!

I will buy it from you.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Asiina that box of hair may be your baby hair. Locks of hair weren't really an odd keepsake in the older days.

Maybe, but the rest of this box seems older than that. It's full of stuff from when my mom was a teenager.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Maybe, but the rest of this box seems older than that. It's full of stuff from when my mom was a teenager.

Then it may be a lock of her baby hair. You should ask just for fun. As I said, keeping a lock of hair as a keepsake was not that uncommon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Adventures is cleaning up a hoard, Day 2 (it's been many days since D1, but this is the first day I've had the opportunity).

Today's cleaning adventure has been an emotional rollercoaster. The first day I was emptying bags of clothes and today I went through 5 giant blue tupperware bins. Of those bins I've kept a small pile of paperwork with sensitive information that will need to be taken to my mom's work to be shredded, and some various useful items. The best find in those bins was 7 unopened sticks of deoderant. They were not in a bag, but scattered within the bin, so I have no explanation. Other things in those bins include old high school notes of mine, about 300 unopened pieces of mail (most were bank statements), actual bags of garbage, and a couple of socks.

After the bins were done though I seem to have moved beyond the garbage phase of the hoard and reached actual important things. This is where things got tricky and the emotions kicked in.

First I found a box of a couple of hundred unorganized photos, which is nice but also annoys me since one of the gifts for my mom this year was me going through a huge effort to get maybe 50-75 photos developed and then here also I found all these already developed in a box. I've hidden this box and after she unwraps my gift I'll give her the box, so I am co-oping it into my gift.

After that was a box marked "! Video Games !" which contained about a dozen old Atari games. Nearby were a couple of Atari joysticks, and I can see the actual system up on a shelf near the ceiling, so that was super awesome.

Then I found a couple of boxes of my mother's teenage years. There was a box full of little keepsakes (and one little ringbox full of hair, which was extremely weird), but also a box of letters she had received and notepads with drafts of the letters she sent out. These were from when she was 18 and moved across the country for about 4 months but wrote her friends at home. I am a bad person and read some of these letters but really, absolutely every single one of you would have done the same, do not judge me. I learned that my mom was a bit of a slut, which is awesome. She had two boyfriends at home she wrote letters to, plus urged her BFF not to hit on one of those boyfriends because she knew he would cheat, but then also hooked up with guys while she was away. GJ mom. She also lamented at one point that the thought of being a mother was disgusting to her, which I knew I'd find in there if I looked, but she was 18 so whatever.

Then I found a birthday card from my step-father to me wherein he signed it off as "One day I'll be your Dad" and then wrote his name, and I just started crying uncontrollably, so I've stopped for the day.

That has been my update you can't unread it etc.

Glad I skipped to the end first!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Then it may be a lock of her baby hair. You should ask just for fun. As I said, keeping a lock of hair as a keepsake was not that uncommon.

Nah, I won't tell her I went through her secrets.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, Keane has a whole room full of locks of baby hair

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

lol I don't know how anyone can read these forums and not see the name of the second forum on the forum list. I haven't seen the movie or talked to anyone about what happens in it, so thats the only thing I was going on.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
In fact I would go as far as to say that your legitimizing my "spoiler" as real is way worse than me spouting off a forum title

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

lol I don't know how anyone can read these forums and not see the name of the second forum on the forum list.

by using the User Control Panel like a normal person you gently caress.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It is exactly 4:15pm. How long will it take me to travel 10 blocks? From 63rd to 73rd on Cicero Ave in Chicago.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

It is exactly 4:15pm. How long will it take me to travel 10 blocks?

about 15 minutes, 10 if you hurry.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

about 15 minutes, 10 if you hurry.

See my ninja edit.

And I'm driving.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
probably faster to just do it than asking the internet.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

probably faster to just do it than asking the internet.

It's more like a game because I'm in the middle of doing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
well depending on traffic probably like 3-6 minutes