Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

hahaha holy poo poo that all sounds awful. rocksteady pretty much pissed away all goodwill for the future this year.

I loved the base game but all the DLC is worthless, except maybe challenge packs which I did get but those really should have been in Day 1. So much of it was just due to backlash from people. what a goddamn shame.

Rocksteady has always been bad at DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chasiubao posted:

The base game, at least on console, was pretty great and overall I enjoyed it. I'm with you on the DLC though, its an absolute poo poo show.

I'm glad I didn't spring for the season pass or the paid DLC because drat. The base game is really good with my only substantial gripes being:

- imbalanced side missions, where the ones involving unique characters are painfully short (sometimes one-and-done) while the militia-based missions are interminable
- BatTank is just dumb conceptually and not fun at all

The visuals are gorgeous, the plot is serviceable, the music is good, the gameplay is still mostly fun, and the Batmobile in Pursuit mode is great.

But 40 bucks for that DLC?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Batmobile in Pursuit mode is great.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the militia commando and firefly side missions. I wish I could just replay those over and over.

I knew what I was getting into when I got the season pass, but holy crap it was worse than I expected.

...At least I'm pretty sure I just used my credit card reward funbux for it. :negative:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

- BatTank is just dumb conceptually and not fun at all
The one time that really ticked me off was when Bats is tracking AK's radio signal or something and it shows he has to get underneath Not-Grand Central Station or whatever it was called. Of course there are like 30 tanks stationed in front of the entrance. I honestly thought I would be able to, as All Other Standard Batman Protocols dictate, just sneak past them with some clever disrupting/Bat-distracting and they would never even know I was there. Nope! Buckle up, buckaroo, gotta shoot up half the island instead! :bang: I felt extremely un-Batman-like at that point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Robin wasn't as frustrating, but still not really fun. These packs are too short to be fun. I see a LOT of challenge maps and while in City I was anxious for all of them, here I'm just...I dunno, not. I think I have to come to grips with the fact that I really want Arkham Knight to be great, but it's kinda mediocre. Ok, that's not true. It is great. More like I wanted it to be better than City and it's not.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What would have been a good price for this game's dlc? $15?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Spacebump posted:

If the reference is something like The Witcher 3's season pass for $25, um, maybe $5?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Tree fiddy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Challenge maps are like collectible trinkets: bad, and there to pad things out.

I mean, pad things out more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
As anecdotal evidence, the game now runs well enough for me on a GTX 970 after the most recent patch. I still have to turn off the fog and light shafts in gameworks to get anything resembling an acceptable framerate, but once those are off I can turn everything else to highest settings and it runs smooth for the most part. Massive hitches are gone when driving the batmobile around the city, though there was a single moment so far where the game just froze up for about three seconds when I was gliding around. Generally seems stable enough that I might actually try to give it a proper playthrough again, whereas the last few patches it was pretty clear that the game was still too broken to play.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Spacebump posted:

They should be paying me to play it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I spent $53 for the premium edition (game + season pass) on PC. Got the Knightfall ending a few days ago, got a refund.

:cool:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

redbackground posted:

The one time that really ticked me off was when Bats is tracking AK's radio signal or something and it shows he has to get underneath Not-Grand Central Station or whatever it was called. Of course there are like 30 tanks stationed in front of the entrance. I honestly thought I would be able to, as All Other Standard Batman Protocols dictate, just sneak past them with some clever disrupting/Bat-distracting and they would never even know I was there. Nope! Buckle up, buckaroo, gotta shoot up half the island instead! :bang: I felt extremely un-Batman-like at that point.

If they just put the Batmobile in without the stupid tank combat, I'd have enjoyed it so much more. Whatever person came up with tank combat to justify the Batmobile is a monster.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
A rundown of the poo poo already out on console and coming out on PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZz07bsWFEI

TDK skin has a huge schnozz.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Spacebump posted:

Honestly none of it is worth anything to me. I didn't get the Season Pass so I dont feel "ripped off," but unless you're going to put out a ~10 hour new story chunk, I'm simply not interested and they needn't have bothered.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So when is this out on PC? I thought every platform was today.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So the Mad Hatter sidequest has you defuse three sets of bombs and then go back to Mad Hatter. He hypnotizes Batman into a storybook and makes you fight your way through three chapters (Asylum, City, and Knight), which each chapter having enemies from those games (High-Security Inmates, TYGER, etc.). The whole time, he's trying to brainwash Batman into murdering a cop (stylized as an informant) to prove Batman's as crazy as he is.

It was kinda neat, I suppose.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Wait a minute, midnight passed (GMT) when the December DLC was supposed to be out now, then a couple of hours later it's now on the PS Store? Well gently caress now I can't play them tonight, I have to wait till tomorrow.

I don't know if they're planning January DLC, from the rumours I've heared, but right now I can't bear what I'm getting from the pass this month...especially the Rocksteady Themed Batmobile...ugh.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Croc's DLC Story: Post-Arkham City, Croc went and retreated to a marshland to be alone before getting captured by researchers that experimented on him, causing his atavism to go wild and mutate him into mini-Godzilla. Batman and Nightwing defeat him, but also apprehend the guy responsible for capturing Croc, actually expressing sympathy for him. I thought that was nice, given how much of a dick he was to Croc in Origins about looking that way, and how in Asylum he basically treated him like an animal.

Freeze's DLC Story: Freeze, like Ivy, was attacked by the militia due to not wanting to team up with them. In the process, they kidnap Nora. Nora unthaws and Mr. Freeze wants to put her back into stasis, but she doesn't want it since she was basically conscious the whole time. As someone who has experienced sleep paralysis before, I can sympathize. In the end, Freeze blows up the containment unit to take out a ton of militia drones and he and Nora leave Gotham to live out her final days in seclusion.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much Loose Ends: The DLC then?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Good news Xboners, the Season Pass is on sale this week! Only $25.99 for all this amazing content :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Pretty much Loose Ends: The DLC then?

Mr. Freeze gets closure. Ra's, too, if you choose to destroy his machine.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

redbackground posted:

I liked the massive area in the beginning you use as a predator location. It's gigantic, and well-designed. Second half is...eh.

Yeah I think Robin might've been the most enjoyable, but considering I'd be ranking them against other 10-15 minute long DLC, meh.

The fight part was okay but then it just turned stupid with everything was a-Okay because Two-Face has to always flip a coin and it is his downfall in the dumbest way possible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mr. Freeze gets closure. Ra's, too, if you choose to destroy his machine.

do you actually face Ra's? if you don't then gently caress that entire DLC, honestly

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Here's your official December DLC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LspOuwDOg

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

redbackground posted:

Here's your official December DLC trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LspOuwDOg

1) Is it still not up on the PS Store for anyone else?
2) Is that Batman dropping Croc with an RKO?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

do you actually face Ra's? if you don't then gently caress that entire DLC, honestly

The only boss in the DLC is Killer Croc.

But Shadow War does present you with a neat choice at the end. Ra's is dying and needs a sample of the Lazarus Pit to survive. The ninjas on his side know that he won't let anyone die if he can help it and Ra's also beseeches him to help him in honor of Talia. When you go to the other Lazarus Pit, Batman gets a sample before Nyssa (Ra's other daughter) arrives and destroys it, telling Batman that he should let her father die since he becomes all the more monstrous every time he's revived by the pit. She also promises that if he destroys her father's machine, then she will take over the League, withdraw her forces from Gotham, and lead the organization more honorably.

Upon returning to Ra's, you then get a choice on whether to give Ra's the Lazarus Pit injection or let him die by destroying the life support machine keeping him stable. It's basically the same choice that Ra's always gives to Batman: kill me and make a better world or keep fighting and let the casualties build up.
Ra's even tells you that he's proud of you if you destroy his machine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Huh, that's kind of interesting but sounds short enough that I can't be bothered to pay money for it. Should have renamed the DLC pack "Loose Ends" because in what does this echo "infamy" when two of the 4 villains at hand are pacified or unwilling to fight Batman. poo poo, I really wish the Prometheus thing came to fruition because that would have been a hell of a fight. Say what you want about Origins but the boss fights were entertaining, I miss that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Seems like it's up on Steam. I got a 3 gig update for it, at any rate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Giving Batman the option to straight-up murder a guy is odd. I could see refusing the Lazarus Pit but destroying his life support equipment is kind of unambiguous.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. Giving Batman the option to straight-up murder a guy is odd. I could see refusing the Lazarus Pit but destroying his life support equipment is kind of unambiguous.

Yeah, it's one thing to do what he did in Batman Begins, and quite another to take matters into your own hands.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they hook him up to one in the GCPD, but they're fully aware it won't keep him alive nearly as long. So, yeah, I understand your point.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
After finishing the expansion missions, they really felt like the final nail in the coffin for Rocksteady, I don't think I've ever felt this disappointed with a developer that usually doesn't screw up this bad.

The only decent mission out of all of them was Shadow War and that's it, the Mad Hatter mission felt weaker than the one from Arkham Origins.

Now I really feel bad for buying the season pass, first everyone complained about the lack of challenge maps...then they said the challenges were weak, the majority of the DLC was just a poo poo ton of skins for Batman and the Batmobile, and the side missions and stories overall were average.

This nearly made me lost all my respect for Rocksteady...maybe if the game had one more year of production and they didn't outsourced for the PC version...this could've been one of the best games to come out this year...but it's nowhere near that now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On the topic of Mad Hatter, I'm not sure who decided he should be, like, three times as rape-y as he was in previous games, but I'm not liking it at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Comics got edgier. :v:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Glad i can finally play these missions and then uninstall this almost 60GB behemoth off my machine. :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the dark knight skin is good

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I said I wouldn't, but I opened the game on my lunch break today. The only issues I've had since launch were some texture streaming things that I think got fixed, but all of a sudden now the game takes like multiple minutes to get to the title screen. Before it would take like 30 seconds tops to get there on my ancient HDD.

It also starts up minimized. :wtc:

I'm one of those losers that never hosed around with his config file because I had FAITH that they'd actually patch poo poo up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Did anyone ever get the comped Arkham games

I mean, they're like 9 days left in December

Adbot