Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

PostNouveau posted:

It's not that bad. The main bullets aren't too tough to dodge, just book it when the tornadoes come and sit still in a safe spot for the continuum tears.

And if you're small enough, you can stand still for the tornadoes and watch them circle around you without dealing any damage whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does using razor blade effect your devil room chances?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Toxxupation posted:

Does using razor blade effect your devil room chances?

No. Anything that takes your red hearts prior to soul/black hearts doesn't affect the Devil room chance. This includes Devil Beggars, Blood Rights, Razor Blade, the IV Bag and Blood Donation Machines.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Should I even bother trying to kill Hush before I unlock the Stop Watch?

There's plenty of setups that neuter Hush. The other day I had nightlight + the soul which made it a total non-fight. Three orbitals + BFF will also render you nearly invulnerable. As noted before, athame will carry you through it easily unless you are really, really bad at dodging bullets. And of course there's chaos card, the great equalizer. The list goes on. The worst you can do is fail!

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

My feeling is that (similar to boss rush) if your run is powerful enough to get there on time, you are likely in good shape to kill.

But yeah, the easy-mode on Hush is three orbitals.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

a really good setup is box of friends + lots of familiars, especially if one of them is the battery since the hush fight is SO LONG you get a bajillion loving familiars out of it

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Satanic bible + watch battery + battery buddy = easymode. Beat Isaac with ??? and unlocked D6 for Isaac. Still almost messed it up, had just 3 black hearts left at the end of the fight :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Will an exhausted item pool start pulling up breakfasts or start pulling from other item pools? I'm in the chest with the wafer, sharp plug, and D6, and I just have Sworn Protector and Circle of Protection left.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JVNO posted:

Will an exhausted item pool start pulling up breakfasts or start pulling from other item pools? I'm in the chest with the wafer, sharp plug, and D6, and I just have Sworn Protector and Circle of Protection left.

iirc every pool will eventually start pulling from the item room pool, but will not pull from other special pools. That is, if you keep on rerolling inside a devil room or a secret room or whatever you'll eventually get stuff like mutant spider and key bum or whatever, but you'll never get brimstone from rerolling in an angel room, or godhead from rerolling in a secret room, etc. Also, breakfasts can definitely show up before the item pool is exhausted.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
With an exception I was happy to see yesterday: If you exhaust the normal pool, THEN pick up Chaos, the normal pool will now contain and update with the remaining items from the other pools (in my case, including GodHead and the Censor, the latter I'd never seen).

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

AnonSpore posted:

iirc every pool will eventually start pulling from the item room pool, but will not pull from other special pools. That is, if you keep on rerolling inside a devil room or a secret room or whatever you'll eventually get stuff like mutant spider and key bum or whatever, but you'll never get brimstone from rerolling in an angel room, or godhead from rerolling in a secret room, etc. Also, breakfasts can definitely show up before the item pool is exhausted.

Looks like I should have re-rolled more aggressively in the shop to pop a Chaos.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The daily was pretty fun, a double item room with a reroll machine (never seen that in an item room before!) eventually led to a d100. I killed satan as a malformed abomination that vomited pixels on the entire screen. 188th score, this time my biggest mistakes were 1) un-pausing after lunch and forgetting that I was going to do the boss rush so I jumped down the hole and missed it, and 2) just being way too sloppy in the hush fight in general. Although the goddamned tear geysers can suck my dick.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm bad enough that dodging the shots is not a sure thing, and I'd still say no. The Stop Watch, gnawed leaf + passive damage, or three big orbitals are all essentially automatic wins against the Hush, but are not mandatory.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blugh. Daily had a slow slow start, even with the D6. I feel like half this game's tedium would be gone if every first two floors had something like a Greed Mode silver treasure room with some pool of only damage ups. Having just +2 or +3 damage by Caves II would save so many runs for me.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Got dad's key in the first item room as the lost, perfect since I had to do Amiga Satan run, but I was slow and low on damage, got all the way to the cathedral and died to Isaac. Restarted, nine lives in the first curse room. gently caress you game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I should just cheat engine the greed machine, shouldn't I.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I did it legit and yes you should.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I didnt think it was that bad as long as you play with a different character each time. Get the d20 and a battery spawn in the store, dont pick up any coins on the floor and you can completely break each run

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

yes

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

bassguitarhero posted:

I didnt think it was that bad as long as you play with a different character each time. Get the d20 and a battery spawn in the store, dont pick up any coins on the floor and you can completely break each run

This is how I did it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
There's times when this game just doesn't like me. Yesterday had back to back runs where I beat Hush and Mega Satan with The Lost and now I can't even get to the loving caves trying to go for a Dark Room run. :( Guess the bright side is I've reached 900 coins in my donation machine? Guess I gotta just pray for Basement 1 Epic Fetus to save my rear end yet again somehow.

e; Hey when I bitched I somehow got a run! rapid Fire scythe ipecacs is pretty sweet. Just gotta do Greed mode and I'll have Godhead unlocked! :toot:

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 22, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

voltcatfish posted:

It really isn't that bad to do legit since Greed Mode is fun in my opinion and also anything that speeds up the process of unlocking Keeper isn't worth it tbh.

I guess if you really hate Greed Mode but really want The Lost to be a really fun and playable character then go for it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Unlocked the keeper, tried playing as him a few times, decided to download the complete save file and never play as the keeper again. Thanks Hyphenated!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I need to get Mega Satan with the Keeper. Had so much damage on a previous run that Hush was a breeze but only 1 angel room spawned so gently caress me. Then on my last run I had the swallowed penny and some other bits and pieces so it was shaping up nicely. Then they give me a room with tight passageways and a bunch of Knights. Normally that would have been bad enough in the cramped conditions but the one big fat champion had a gravity field that pulled my penny away when I got hit and that was that. Well played, game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
With the change to how the jam percentage is calculated for the greed machine, getting The Keeper legitimately is not that bad at all. After that patch dropped I don't think I ever saw the machine jam before I ran out of money.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I don't know how I didn't know this, but apparently Butt Bombs/No. 2 gives health back to Dingle :psyduck: found that out the hard way.

And Flush! instantly kills all poop monsters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

watho posted:

It really isn't that bad to do legit since Greed Mode is fun in my opinion

well friend, this is where our opinions differ in a small, but noticably massive way

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

How to have fun in binding of Isaac:

*install 1001% save on game
*install better item descriptions mod
*install original music mod
*play as eden

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

this mod actually seems cool and useful, but it also doesn't look like it was updated for afterbirth unless i am blind

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

voltcatfish posted:

this mod actually seems cool and useful, but it also doesn't look like it was updated for afterbirth unless i am blind

There's one that's specifically for Afterbirth now. http://moddingofisaac.com/mod/874/item-descriptions---afterbirth

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

having finally unlocked the razor blade for Eve, I've come to the conclusion that no, the razor blade doesn't really "fix" Eve

it gives her a way to modulate her early game HP, but that's a fix Eve never really needed considering curse rooms, blood banks, and even simply walking on spikes are all things Eve players did before, and the first two provide arguably greater benefit (especially early game blood banks) than the damage boost razor blade gives

the razor blade is an active that isn't really strong enough to be worth keeping around, especially considering that it relies on a resource you're not keeping as you progress further and further into the depths. sure, you can feed it black and soul hearts but at that point you're keeping around a shittier book of belial

and that's kind of the biggest problem with razor blade. spacebar items that require charges to activate become easier and easier to activate as one progresses through the game, because finding ways to charge them become more and more prevalent. there's so many battery passives, familiars, and trinkets that charging any item is a trivial task, especially when said item is a 3-charge like book of belial. in contrast, razor blade requires a resource much more difficult to obtain, red hearts, especially when the optimal way to play binding is to eliminate them, whether from blood donation or dark bum or devil deals

and then you look at razor blade and compare it directly to book of belial and razor blade's damage increase is smaller than BoB's, even discounting the bonus BoB can get from blood of the martyr

i dunno, I just found playing around with razor blade Eve that sure, the razor blade was nice on the floor 1/2 boss but didn't really materially change Eve's runs or made her "more fun", especially considering I pretty much always traded that poo poo away on the first devil room deal I found. To me, the unlockable starting actives are supposed to be unbelievably, near game-breakingly powerful spacebar items, and razor blade is a sorta marginally useful but ultimately tradebait starting item. it just doesn't give enough benefit to stick with for the long haul, especially by the womb when you're swimming in batteries and need something that actually uses them

Honestly, if razor blade was an offensively-oriented guppy's paw - that is, it permanently increased Eve's damage at the cost of a heart container, or gave her three black hearts in exchange for a heart container - i could see it being really useful. as it is, it's nice in the way that any starting active is "nice" (outside of d4 on lost) because it gives the player more options, but it's not good enough or anywhere near powerful enough to be worth keeping over, say, satanic bible. it's not even as good as book of belial, an item that has totally lost in strength as the power progression of binding has made it an outdated, bordering on underpowered item

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

death .cab for qt posted:

How to have fun in binding of Isaac:

*install 1001% save on game

I kinda feel like that's the sandbox mode that's only satisfying to play if you've gone through the story mode of doing legit unlocks.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Toxxupation posted:

Honestly, if razor blade was an offensively-oriented guppy's paw - that is, it permanently increased Eve's damage at the cost of a heart container, or gave her three black hearts in exchange for a heart container - i could see it being really useful. as it is, it's nice in the way that any starting active is "nice" (outside of d4 on lost) because it gives the player more options, but it's not good enough or anywhere near powerful enough to be worth keeping over, say, satanic bible. it's not even as good as book of belial, an item that has totally lost in strength as the power progression of binding has made it an outdated, bordering on underpowered item

That version of the Razor Blade would be overpowered as all gently caress. Razor Blade on Eve is good because the ability to reactivate Whore of Babylon without burning through your soul hearts/sin hearts if a bunch of red hearts drop on the floor in a room is useful. Satanic Bible + Book of Belial are Really Good and Good items and there's nothing wrong with swapping out a starting item for a Really Good or Good item.

+ Book of Belial's only dropoff has been in the change to devil/angel deals, it's still pretty much the same and useful in combat.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

...except if you're playing Eve correctly you're trading away all your hearts on floor 2. that's the issue with razor blade, it's strictly speaking useful for exactly one, maybe two floors

and i don't agree that making razor blade into a black heart guppy's paw would be "overpowered as all gently caress". guppy's paw enables guppy, a singlehandedly game-winning combination, while razor blade doesn't provide any pieces of any available transformations

the idea of having razor blade be a permanent damage increase in trade for heart containers might be overpowered depending on stats, but then again the game is already broken as gently caress considering Isaac can start with D6. i don't think "game balance" is really a valid argument in binding outside of truly, truly egregious examples, and even then the most egregious one still exists in the game completely untouched

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 22, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

...except if you're playing Eve correctly you're trading away all your hearts on floor 2. that's the issue with razor blade, it's strictly speaking useful for exactly one, maybe two floors

That's all you need. And you might get shafted and get a red chest devil room and then you're sitting on four red heart containers and no way to get rid of them without dumping all of your soul hearts.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

I kinda feel like that's the sandbox mode that's only satisfying to play if you've gone through the story mode of doing legit unlocks.

As a person who rpg'd flash isaac and got nearly there with rebirth before afterbirth dropped, I can 100% confirm that nothing has made me enjoy this game more than just playing it instead of stressing out about filling up post-its. It's every bit as enjoyable to get Godhead after doing the Lost runs as it is to just pick that poo poo up immediately.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Grapplejack posted:

That's all you need. And you might get shafted and get a red chest devil room and then you're sitting on four red heart containers and no way to get rid of them without dumping all of your soul hearts.

If the goal of razor blade is strictly speaking utilitarian I'd honestly prefer it if Eve started with one red/one black (or even one red, period) and a permanent damage increase over this fiddly half-measure of an item that you might or might not use in the first place, depending on if a devil beggar or blood donation machine shows up on floor one or if an especially useful spacebar item is in the treasure room

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

If the goal of razor blade is strictly speaking utilitarian I'd honestly prefer it if Eve started with one red/one black (or even one red, period) and a permanent damage increase over this fiddly half-measure of an item that you might or might not use in the first place, depending on if a devil beggar or blood donation machine shows up on floor one or if an especially useful spacebar item is in the treasure room

I agree. But it's Ed so I'll take what I can get. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There is a little trick you can do with the Razor Blade if you have an item that grants you invincibility somehow. (Polaroid is one of the most reliable ways) Once the invincibility procs, just keep mashing the Razor Blade (Assuming you still have it by that point) to get a nice damage boost for the room at the cost of one heart. Or just pick up Isaac's Heart and do it all the time. :v: I will say that Eve is still in a bit of an iffy place, and Judas still fulfills the glass cannon character role better. Especially since damage items scale far better on him than anyone else that isn't Azazel. It's still an option for her, and I don't really dread playing her now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's frustrating is is that I know that Ed/Nicalis can make really fun, vibrant, distinct characters with super unique playstyles, since Lilith is my bar-none favorite character to play that plays totally different from everyone else and prioritizes completely differently

It's all the more irritating that after four years of being in the game Eve is still, essentially, a lovely Judas combined with a lovely Samson, and my hope that razor blade would improve her in the same way D6 improved Isaac was far, far too optimistic