Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Eponine posted:

Not enough to put it on the cover of a book or a movie, but enough to make herself relevant on Twitter from time to time. Snape is trans! Neville is asexual! What else?!

The books neversaid that Hermione wasn't black. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

No, but they had drawings and she was white in them. Still a dumb thing to be mad about, obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's talking about a specific casting.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

RareAcumen posted:

Well y'see one is a fictional character who can cause you, an existing person, about as much harm as the Boogeyman or Bloody Mary, while the other is a Fascist who will more than not open up hunting season on blacks, gays, Muslims, transgender people- whoever the scary Other of the day is.

Actual terrible human beings beat awful fictional characters always because they can cause actual harm to people that the people who don't exist cannot.

You're obviously right, but that wasn't the point that people were making with the comparison. Rowling said of Trump's call to ban Muslims that "Voldemort wasn't this bad", which is less "hey stop worrying about fictional characters when real fascists are out there" and more a dramatic "hey this guy is more evil than the character I wrote to be evil". And people accordingly latched onto it as a criticism. Rather than the fascist tones of Trump's campaign, people rallied around the fact that if Voldemort was real, Trump would still be a bigger meanie. That's what I'm referring to when I say that there are people who have formed entire identities around Harry Potter and weigh things in Potter universe terms and cannot possibly grasp anything Rowling does being even slightly wrong.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I view most articles by sites like Mary Sue and Slate and such as just a new form of trolling. They are just lovely pop culture thought pieces without much behind them, designed to either get people who already agree with the content to share it on social media saying "see, I told you gay pansexual genderqueer pandas are misrepresented in media therefore I'm better than you" and to get people who already think that PC is killing the world to say "see, I told you these idiots want to make gay pandas take the place of my pop culture icon". Either way, the site gets its clicks.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

twistedmentat posted:

"I want to leave my wife for that"

I have my doubts about that.

:colbert:

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
who cares about the race of gay wizards, jesus christ.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Dumbledore was gay, there were Jewish wizards at hogwarts. She keeps mentioning ten years after the books came out how progressive and inclusive they are, but she forgot to put it in the loving books.

I like her, she's a good person and the books are good reads for kids, but I really hate how she keeps trying to get credit for being inclusive by making poo poo up after the fact.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eponine posted:

Not enough to put it on the cover of a book or a movie, but enough to make herself relevant on Twitter from time to time. Snape is trans! Neville is asexual! What else?!

You realize Rowling doesn't do any of the casting, right? She's not even saying Hermoine is black in the books, just that it's a fair view and that she supports the casting of the actress in this instance.

Edit:

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Dumbledore was gay, there were Jewish wizards at hogwarts. She keeps mentioning ten years after the books came out how progressive and inclusive they are, but she forgot to put it in the loving books.

I like her, she's a good person and the books are good reads for kids, but I really hate how she keeps trying to get credit for being inclusive by making poo poo up after the fact.

I see it less as trying to get credit and more trying to shut down bigots who shout down other fans who like to imagine the setting as more inclusive, but I don't know her actual motives either so who knows. :shrug:

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Dec 21, 2015

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
But she did the same thing awhile back with Dumbledore. Uh, yeah! He's gay. The only people who care about it are adults, when the story was written for children. It makes her look progressive 20 years after she wrote the book.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leavemywife posted:

I have my doubts about that.

:colbert:

Funny, I thought this was the AUG thread for a second when I posted it.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Eponine posted:

But she did the same thing awhile back with Dumbledore. Uh, yeah! He's gay. The only people who care about it are adults, when the story was written for children. It makes her look progressive 20 years after she wrote the book.

and everyone stood up and clapped

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Eponine posted:

If I remember right, she did this because the film makers were going to have a subplot about Dumbledore's past relationship with a woman, and Rowling mentioned he was gay in the script notes.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The worst part of image macros and reaction images are people who are repurposing them in incomprehensible ways.

Like, the angel is supposed to be calm and composed to contrast with the upset yelling person, since the angel's response is a simple "okay." But here the message has an all-caps swear word, defeating the purpose.

Also it's redrawn like poo poo but that goes without saying.

you're right.

It's more annoying that they completely ignored the tone of the original comic in order to ham-handedly smash in their own dumb message.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the point of that image supposed to be someone yelling and sperging about something completely unimportant and the angel comes down with a note that says "okay" because yes we know you're mad, but you're mad over something dumb.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Maybe she has vitiligo, just on her face?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stoatbringer posted:

Maybe she has vitiligo, just on her face?

Or maybe she's seeing poo poo that turned her white? I mean, that's a pretty common description for someone who is terrified out of their mind, "She went white as a sheet when she caught her brother having sex with the dog"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Madkal posted:

I view most articles by sites like Mary Sue and Slate and such as just a new form of trolling. They are just lovely pop culture thought pieces without much behind them, designed to either get people who already agree with the content to share it on social media saying "see, I told you gay pansexual genderqueer pandas are misrepresented in media therefore I'm better than you" and to get people who already think that PC is killing the world to say "see, I told you these idiots want to make gay pandas take the place of my pop culture icon". Either way, the site gets its clicks.

Thank you for this now I might finally have a way to make people in my feed shut up

Fluo
May 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Or maybe she's seeing poo poo that turned her white? I mean, that's a pretty common description for someone who is terrified out of their mind, "She went white as a sheet when she caught her brother having sex with the dog"

I don't care that she is black in this play, I just find the people getting mad at her being black in the play are as dumb as the people falling over themselves to say she wasn't white in the books

I want Hermione to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fluo posted:

I want everyone to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
When did it become a rule that adaptations must match the original work exactly anyway? Who cares if she wasn't the black in the books or the movies, take the opportunity to do something different imo.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I want everyone to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

This :swoon:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Fluo posted:

I don't care that she is black in this play, I just find the people getting mad at her being black in the play are as dumb as the people falling over themselves to say she wasn't white in the books

Winner of the 1999 Whitebread Children's Book of the Year

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Clochette posted:

Winner of the 1999 Whitebread Children's Book of the Year

I am so glad I'm not the only person who read it that way first.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hell, was Harry's skin color ever mentioned? Can we get Idris Elba for the inevitable reboot series?

Just picture Hagrid saying "You're a wizard, Harry" and Idris Elba says "I'm a what?" and you can see this will make all the money in the world.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

Hell, was Harry's skin color ever mentioned? Can we get Idris Elba for the inevitable reboot series?

Just picture Hagrid saying "You're a wizard, Harry" and Idris Elba says "I'm a what?" and you can see this will make all the money in the world.

Read this and immediately imagined Luther looking tired and vaguely bored, taking a long breath in and then sighing "Imma wha'?"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

To be fair, it's heavily implied that Dumbledore was in love with Grindlewald.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I've seen people arguing (albeit not in a serious "authorial intent" way) for interpreting Harry as being subcontinental Indian or something based on his descriptions in the books.

Mostly it's just fooling around with the assumptions made with minimal descriptions.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sharing facebook images is equivalent to making a police report. The more you know!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that so many people put spaces before their punctuation ?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

Why is it that so many people put spaces before their punctuation ?

Chances are they're posting from a mobile phone and most apps tend to automatically insert a space after a word.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Transmogrifier posted:

Chances are they're posting from a mobile phone and most apps tend to automatically insert a space after a word.

I double checked this now just to be sure, but on the iphone at least it automatically removes the space when you finish the sentence.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Wanamingo posted:

I double checked this now just to be sure, but on the iphone at least it automatically removes the space when you finish the sentence.

I just know, at least for Twitter, I have to sometimes back space depending on what I've written (like inserting a username) to add in the punctuation.

It's far more likely though they're idiots who don't remember basic grammar.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Fluo posted:

Yes, people who are dipshit racists are as bad as people calling out racism. Even if the books did say she was white, who gives a poo poo? The books say she can use magic and mix potions, something as far as I know Emma Watson can't do but she seemed to handle the role just fine.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is why I wrote letters to Disney asking to make Han solo Chinese in the new Star Wars movie. It already sounds Chinese already.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Idris Elba is rumored to play Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower series and I'm looking forward to the potential racist nerd tears

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Idris Elba as Moneypenny :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

subpar anachronism posted:

Sharing facebook images is equivalent to making a police report. The more you know!