Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It definitely looks like wine, I guess. Do you like drinking "Boy Meets Girl" Pinot grigio? Do you need cellar defenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I usually don't keep wine around the house other than a few good wines for cooking with or the occasional meal that calls for a glass. I definitely enjoy wine, I frequent tastings and one of my go-to evenings out is just hanging out with my friend who manages a wine bar and tasting our way through their menu. I just never got in the habit of buying bottles.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
So here's the thing - when you see "SPARKLY GIRL CHARDONNAY HALF OFF!!!" it basically indicates the type of wine these guys are going to sell. The wine might not be "bad" in that it'll probably be unflawed, drinkable, and even enjoyable to a large section of the wine-drinking public. If that's you, go ahead and try it if you think you're getting your money's worth!

At the same time, if you're looking to learn more about wine or develop your palate there are better ways. If you have a friend with a wine bar go ahead and taste stuff, and figure out a) where you can buy the stuff you like and b) if there are any importer/distributor portfolios that you tend to enjoy. Part of the process is also figuring out value, and most of that is pretty personal. For example, I don't know Chinon super well, but Domaine Baudry's basic cuvee costs something like $15/btl and is a fantastic example of Loire Valley Cabernet franc. I think it's a great value. If you don't enjoy lighter, somewhat acidic wines with a good whack of bell pepper on top you might not want to spend $180 on a case, though. If you DO like that then look up the importer/distributor (Kermit Lynch in this case) and check out what else they carry. Chances are there'll be some themes you can explore, and hopefully it'll lead to other stuff you're interested in.
'

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

idiotsavant posted:

So here's the thing - when you see "SPARKLY GIRL CHARDONNAY HALF OFF!!!" it basically indicates the type of wine these guys are going to sell. The wine might not be "bad" in that it'll probably be unflawed, drinkable, and even enjoyable to a large section of the wine-drinking public. If that's you, go ahead and try it if you think you're getting your money's worth!

At the same time, if you're looking to learn more about wine or develop your palate there are better ways. If you have a friend with a wine bar go ahead and taste stuff, and figure out a) where you can buy the stuff you like and b) if there are any importer/distributor portfolios that you tend to enjoy. Part of the process is also figuring out value, and most of that is pretty personal. For example, I don't know Chinon super well, but Domaine Baudry's basic cuvee costs something like $15/btl and is a fantastic example of Loire Valley Cabernet franc. I think it's a great value. If you don't enjoy lighter, somewhat acidic wines with a good whack of bell pepper on top you might not want to spend $180 on a case, though. If you DO like that then look up the importer/distributor (Kermit Lynch in this case) and check out what else they carry. Chances are there'll be some themes you can explore, and hopefully it'll lead to other stuff you're interested in.
'

These are good words and echo a lot of what my friend says. I guess I should start paying more attention to the importers/specific makers more than just looking at varietal and terroir.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So now that I've got my shipping worked out, I'm looking to get a bottle of older Bourgogne for Christmas from K&L. Problem is, I've never had a bottle older than 10 years, and I'm a bit stumped as to what to look for. I'm particularly worried about finding something that's in or around it's prime drinking window. Would any of you mind having a look around and making a suggestion? My budget would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Went and did some wine tasting in Red Mountain/Prosser/Yakima after the Thanksgiving holiday, here's my thoughts on the producers we were able to check out. Prices are winery retail so you may be able to score a better deal at Costo, Total, or from your local shop.

Day 1 - Columbia Gorge/Red Mountain

Syncline - Our first stop on our way to Red Mountain from Vancouver after family time to pick up our wine club shipment, really great Rhone-style producer situated in the Columbia Gorge, beautifully floral and herbaceous wines and wonderful QPR. Just planted some Gamay! ($20-50)

Fidelitas - Charlie Hoppes' main project, predominantly focused on single-vineyard Cabernet and Bordeaux-style blends, great terroir expression and impeccable winemaking, tasting at the winery is worthwhile because the wines are well-balanced and drinkable young but will lay down for a long time, decently spendy, but one of my favorite "special occasion" wines ($45-100)

Tapteil Winery - On-site winery for Tapteil Vineyard, mostly Southern Rhone/GSM-style wines, but they have dry and off-dry Rieslings and a Cab Sauv. Maybe a little simple, but drinking decently and not too pricey for their non-Cab stuff ($17-50)

Anelare - One of the pleasant surprises on this trip, they were our last stop of the first day and we only went because some locals mentioned that Charlie Hoppes from Fidelitas had recently taken over as winemaker. Staff was really nice (a little kooky too) but the wine was drinking really wonderfully, large variety of single-varietal wines besides the usual Bordeaux/Rhone mainstays (Carmenere, Petit Verdot, Viognier, Syrah/Cab blend, etc.) and the price point was decent for well-made single-vineyard juice. Definitely made in Charlie's style, but not very widely distributed yet so we picked up a couple bottles. Apparently the previous winemaker was not very successful, so if you've had their wine before and didn't like it, give it another go with the 2013 vintage ($25-45)

Day 2 - Red Mountain/Prosser

Frichette - Husband/wife team making Bordeaux style wines, the wife was manning the tasting room and she was wonderful to interact with and very warm. I can't tell if my palate wasn't awake enough yet, but I thought their wines were a bit thin and didn't really do it for me, I'm willing to give them a pass since they were my first wine at 11am, but for the money I thought they fell flat: for $15-40 I'd be more on board ($35-60)

Hamilton Cellars - A Malbec-focused operation, their wines were good if you're into Malbec. Lots of olive tapenade, pickles, and savory/mushroom notes on the palate, so maybe not to everyone's taste, I'm iffy on Malbec but I enjoyed their wine, and they definitely showed varietal character. ($18-60)

Col Solare - Another pleasant surprise. We almost didn't go as Col Solare is a collaboration between Chateau Ste. Michelle and the Antinori family and I'm a bit of a "high-volume regional powerhouse winery" skeptic, but I'm really glad we did. They basically only make 1 wine, a mostly estate-grown blend of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, Malbec, Merlot, and Syrah, but they also bottle around 50 cases each of the "components" which they sell at the winery, and some cases of a declassified version of the main blend from their lesser estate vineyards (their "Shining Hill" label). They were pouring the 2012 Shining Hill and the 2009 and 2012 versions of the flagship, along with the Malbec "component" wine, and everything was completely revelatory. The 2009 was great but could probably been laid down longer, but the 2012 was drinking beautifully, and the Malbec was quite sophisticated. WAY too expensive at winery retail ($75 for the blend, $85 for component wines), but available at Total for a more reasonable (but still expensive) $56. The tasting fee was spendy ($17) but worth the trip ($40-85)

Alexandria Nicole - Col Solare was kind of a hard act to follow, but the wines at AN were pleasant enough, and their lower tier wines were decent QPR in the low $20 range. We liked their Chardonnay strangely enough, and they had some passable Rhone-style reds. If the price of their upper tier was maybe 20% lower they'd be a decent buy ($20-55)

Gamache - I think our palates were getting tired by this point, but the wines at Gamache were pleasantly generic, nothing out of balance or bad, and I think they could be decent sub-$30 crowdpleaser wines ($15-40)

Coyote Canyon - I'm not sure why we weren't back at the hotel taking a pre-dinner nap by this point, but we thought we could squeeze another tasting in before closing time. This entire experience was a total shitshow, there was a two piece jazz combo playing too loudly in a corner, the woman pouring the whites up front was totally wasted, not a single wine was fermented all the way to dryness, they were tasting through their entire portfolio including a 5 vintage vertical of their flagship and a barrel tasting of their execrable Grenache (so maybe 15+ wines in total), and the place was packed (and people seemed to be enjoying it). After the first few I decided to taste all the way through as a sort of personal challenge but my partner had to tap out after the barrel Grenache almost made her hurl. Their flagship was actually sort of ok, and they were tasting a 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009, and a 2010 each of which was holding up pretty well considering, I'd probably not turn it away if a friend poured it at game night or whatever, and they gave us free christmas ornaments when we left? ($??? honestly I didn't even look)

Day 3 - Prosser/Yakima

Milbrandt - Like Gamache, fairly generic but decently priced, with a really wide range of grapes, I think their bottom-tier wine is pretty widely distributed as well. They were clearancing a case of their dry Riesling for $80 or something which you pretty much can't beat for a drinkable white, but we already had almost 4 cases of wine in our trunk at this point (not to mention almost a case of Trisaetum Riesling at home in our cellar) so we abstained ($13-50)

Owen Roe - Really deep portfolio, makes Washington wines and Oregon Pinot Noir at an insanely wide array of price points, everything we tasted was drinkable to pretty good. I think his low-middle-tier Syrah (Ex Umbris) and GSM (Sinister Hand) are good for the price (~$22), his upper tier single varietals are delicious but way overpriced at winery retail ($75), I could maybe see myself paying $45 for them, but they're not as good as, say, Fidelitas or DeLille. At the end of a long wine-buying weekend I really didn't need anymore wine that I would have to lay down for a couple of years, and his stuff is pretty well distributed regionally so there was no pressure to buy other than the fact that the person pouring at the tasting room was super nice and we had a great long conversation. Definitely worth the tasting since I've been curious about his more expensive stuff for a long while ($12-75)

Treveri Cellars - Inexpensive Washington NV sparkling wine mainstays, not too complex, but make a decent brut and extra brut blanc de blancs, their brut rose is really decent for the price ($15), but their sparkling Syrah is gross. Tasting is complementary ($15-20)

E: Anyone in the thread live in the Seattle area and would be interested in doing wine-related stuff from time to time? I think my partner and I need more friends that are into wine.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 30, 2015

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Anyone know anything about good producers of Montilla-Moriles? I'm in Córdoba but everyone seems not to feel strongly about any in particular.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the deal with nakedwines.com ? I got a $100 voucher, which looks like I can redeem on anything $160 or greater.

Is there anything worthwhile on their site?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the deal with nakedwines.com ? I got a $100 voucher, which looks like I can redeem on anything $160 or greater.

Is there anything worthwhile on their site?

see my posts directly above

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm more wondering if it's worth getting a case of their wine for $100 off

I'm not expecting some high-end producers, but whether or not the price is right for some kickaround bottles

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Go to Trader Joe's and buy some wine at similar price points. Do you like the wine? Then sure, $100 off is a good deal for you.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Ola posted:

Here's a Canadian show on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/lcbobpg/videos Very informative about mostly French and Italian wines, but other stuff too. Some short clips, many longer episodes. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyc8fvpOOl4

edit: go home url parser you are drunk

This is great, thanks for the recommendation!

On a different note: Just recently booked a trip to Piedmont next summer with some friends! We have not planned exactly where we're going, but we hope to visit as many vineyards as we can during the week we're staying.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I'll be in NZ for two weeks and will probably spend one day touring wineries. Does anyone have recommendations for good wineries to visit? Haven't had much NZ wine and from what I can tell they are only really well known for Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. I am not a huge fan of NZ Sauv Blanc, so I guess I'm asking about producers and regions known for their Pinot and other varietals. I've read that the area north of Canterbury in the Waipara Valley has some good Pinot and Riesling. Any specific winery recommendations or good day trips would be much appreciated.

Edit: I should mention that I live in Portland and my taste in Pinot leans more toward Oregon and Burgundy than California. So, more aromatic, earthy, and high in acid.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 19, 2015

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I'll be in NZ for two weeks and will probably spend one day touring wineries. Does anyone have recommendations for good wineries to visit? Haven't had much NZ wine and from what I can tell they are only really well known for Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir. I am not a huge fan of NZ Sauv Blanc, so I guess I'm asking about producers and regions known for their Pinot and other varietals. I've read that the area north of Canterbury in the Waipara Valley has some good Pinot and Riesling. Any specific winery recommendations or good day trips would be much appreciated.

Edit: I should mention that I live in Portland and my taste in Pinot leans more toward Oregon and Burgundy than California. So, more aromatic, earthy, and high in acid.

Canterbury is indeed the most exciting region in NZ for Pinot, especially for more elegant styles. My favourite producers are Pyramid Valley and Pegasus Bay. I've also heard good things about the emerging region of Waimakariri, which is even cooler, though I'm unfamiliar with producers there. Nelson is less reliably good than Canterbury, though there is some great Pinot there too.

If you're on the North Island, Kumeu River is arguably the best Chardonnay producer in the world.

Not sure about Riesling, we don't import much because German Riesling has historically been much better, and better value to boot. Plus we produce a lot here. The NZ ones I've had have been decent but unremarkable. I hope that changes though, because there has to be potential if they can find sites cool enough.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kasumeat posted:

If you're on the North Island, Kumeu River is arguably the best Chardonnay producer in the world.

I'd like to hear that argument

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Can anyone recommend me a solid Patagonian pinot? I had one a week ago that had hints of smoked meat and pepper that was amazing. I almost wanted to call it a syrah but it was too light.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

pork never goes bad posted:

Regularly wins industry comparative blind tastings up against Montrachet and other famous Burgs that cost a lot more. I think some would make that argument, at least dollar for dollar.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/top-kiwi-v-white-burgundy

Jancis Robinson posted:

The Kumeu River wines shone out because they were generally better made and more refined and sophisticated [than the white Burgandies]

[NZ prices per case]
Kumeu River, Hunting Hill Vineyard 2013 (Ł200 Farr Vintners soon)
Kumeu River, Maté's Vineyard 2013 (Ł220 Farr Vintners soon)
Kumeu River Estate 2012 (Ł140 Farr Vintners)
Kumeu River, Coddington Vineyard 2010 (Ł200 Farr Vintners)
Kumeu River, Maté's Vineyard 2009 (Ł220 Farr Vintners – sold out)
Kumeu River, Hunting Hill Vineyard 2007 (Ł200 Farr Vintners)

Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Boudriottes 2010 (Ł55 Berry Bros)
Fontaine Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Vergers 2010 (Ł41.25 Four Walls Wine)
Domaine Comtes Lafon Meursault 2009 (Ł54 The Butlers Wine Cellar)
Drouhin, Meursault Perričres 2009 (Ł158.80 a magnum Hedonism)
Jean-Philippe Fichet, Puligny-Montrachet Referts 2007 (not available)

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
To note - the Kumeu River wines listed above are by 12/cs, the Burgundy wines are by single bottle. We pour their "Estate' chardonnay by the glass - it's incredible stuff.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

The problem with this article and its use in your wishful claim is that the comparisons of the NZ wines were done with and I quote " some of their finest white burgundy equivalents" that are all either 1er or village.

Crimson posted:

Regularly wins industry comparative blind tastings up against Montrachet and other famous Burgs that cost a lot more. I think some would make that argument, at least dollar for dollar.

Do you have a link somewhere that shows this since I'd love to be able to afford GC better white chardonnays on a regular as opposed to yearly basis?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I always felt like the "This Appellation v That Appellation" was a facile argument regardless of the two appellations, but especially regarding Burgundy. I think this mostly because we don't have to choose. It's not even a little bit adversarial in reality. It's that dumb listicle disease that runs through most people. Are these wines trying to be Burgundian? Why? Is their quality only expressible in the light of other appellations? Why?

Anyway, this is not in anyway to condemn NZ or anywhere else. I've never had wine from that appellation and I certainly would like to, given its apparent reputation.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

The problem with this article and its use in your wishful claim is that the comparisons of the NZ wines were done with and I quote " some of their finest white burgundy equivalents" that are all either 1er or village.

Look, it's not possible to decide on a definitive "best Chardonnay in the world" but unquestionably Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers, at literally one-tenth the cost of the competition. It completely crushed the Burgs in that tasting which are all generally considered excellent, if not the absolute best, and are astronomically more expensive. The Kumeu River Estate (their "village" bottling) was in there too and was preferred to most of the Burg.

Besides, Grand Cru wines aren't necessary superior. Riper, sure, but many producers over-oak them and they're generally poorer across the board than the 1er crus in hot vintages unless you prefer Californian-style wines.

Overwined posted:

Anyway, this is not in anyway to condemn NZ or anywhere else. I've never had wine from that appellation and I certainly would like to, given its apparent reputation.

The Kumeu River we're talking about here is the producer, not the region. The Kumeu subregion is in the Auckland region.

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 20, 2015

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

Look, it's not possible to decide on a definitive "best Chardonnay in the world" but unquestionably Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers, at literally one-tenth the cost of the competition. It completely crushed the Burgs in that tasting which are all generally considered excellent, if not the absolute best, and are astronomically more expensive. The Kumeu River Estate (their "village" bottling) was in there too and was preferred to most of the Burg.

Besides, Grand Cru wines aren't necessary superior. Riper, sure, but many producers over-oak them and they're generally poorer across the board than the 1er crus in hot vintages unless you prefer Californian-style wines.

The Kumeu River we're talking about here is the producer, not the region. The Kumeu subregion is in the Auckland region.

Your argument is inconsistent here since you first posit that it's impossible to decide on a "best Chardonnay" but then go around to say it is possible to determine a "best Chardonnay producer" with the assumption that the best producer is determined on the basis of quality of wine v. price per ml produced; if one's valuation is determined only by the taste and presentation of such wine, the cost per ml has no such function in finding the "best chardonnay producer".

Secondly, the importance of the level of appellation in Burgundies is important because there are so many of them and other comparisons to determine what is among the best should be done with the highest level of quality that is generally recognized; if GCs aren't necessarily superior, then this would actually work in your favor if there was such a comparison to occur. If you believe that Kumeu's products can continue to crush Burgs then, you should recognize the inherent limitations of this comparative tasting.

Lastly, GCs aren't always better as a matter of course since the producers' skills are also if importance - a Domaine Leroy village or 1er Cote de Nuits red can usually equal or double the price of a lesser known producer's version of a Richebourg or Griottes. There are also prominent exceptions where 1er vineyards like Clos St Jacques, Aux Brulees or Malconsorts will easily exceed a Charmes-Chambertin. Also the tasting is hasty in my opinion: Burgundy only really comes into prominent effect after multiple years of aging and it's easy to dismiss them early on.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
You're being a bit pedantic.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/opinion/the-editors-blog/kumeu-river-versus-burgundy-chardonnay-259717/
http://www.kumeuriver.co.nz/News-Archive/Blind+Tasting+in+San+Francisco/

Amongst others that I myself have attended. It's not a secret in the wine world that Kumeu River makes some world class Chardonnay at a fantastic price.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

You're being a bit pedantic.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/opinion/the-editors-blog/kumeu-river-versus-burgundy-chardonnay-259717/
http://www.kumeuriver.co.nz/News-Archive/Blind+Tasting+in+San+Francisco/

Amongst others that I myself have attended. It's not a secret in the wine world that Kumeu River makes some world class Chardonnay at a fantastic price.

Thanks for linking to the same tasting that Robinson wrote about as above. I guess it's somehow earth shattering news that New World wines can beat village and 1er crus :rolleyes:.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

Your argument is inconsistent here since you first posit that it's impossible to decide on a "best Chardonnay" but then go around to say it is possible to determine a "best Chardonnay producer" with the assumption that the best producer is determined on the basis of quality of wine v. price per ml produced; if one's valuation is determined only by the taste and presentation of such wine, the cost per ml has no such function in finding the "best chardonnay producer".

Secondly, the importance of the level of appellation in Burgundies is important because there are so many of them and other comparisons to determine what is among the best should be done with the highest level of quality that is generally recognized; if GCs aren't necessarily superior, then this would actually work in your favor if there was such a comparison to occur. If you believe that Kumeu's products can continue to crush Burgs then, you should recognize the inherent limitations of this comparative tasting.

Lastly, GCs aren't always better as a matter of course since the producers' skills are also if importance - a Domaine Leroy village or 1er Cote de Nuits red can usually equal or double the price of a lesser known producer's version of a Richebourg or Griottes. There are also prominent exceptions where 1er vineyards like Clos St Jacques, Aux Brulees or Malconsorts will easily exceed a Charmes-Chambertin. Also the tasting is hasty in my opinion: Burgundy only really comes into prominent effect after multiple years of aging and it's easy to dismiss them early on.

I claimed that Kumeu River is arguably one of the best Chardonnay producers in the world and that it's excellent value to boot, and your response is this pedantic nonsense? You know perfectly well what I meant. Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers. Kumeu River's Chardonnays are incredibly good value compared to Burgundy. The latter doesn't somehow invalidate the former. Besides, you obviously haven't tasted the wines in question so why are you so fanatical about attacking them?

And are you seriously bringing ageworthiness, up? White Burgundy, the world's most notoriously oxidation-prone wine, compared to a reductive Chardonnay bottled under screwcap?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for linking to the same tasting that Robinson wrote about as above. I guess it's somehow earth shattering news that New World wines can beat village and 1er crus :rolleyes:.

Read closer. They're not the same tastings. And I linked two different events. Did I say it was earth shattering news? You're an rear end.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

I claimed that Kumeu River is arguably one of the best Chardonnay producers in the world and that it's excellent value to boot, and your response is this pedantic nonsense? You know perfectly well what I meant. Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers. Kumeu River's Chardonnays are incredibly good value compared to Burgundy. The latter doesn't somehow invalidate the former. Besides, you obviously haven't tasted the wines in question so why are you so fanatical about attacking them?

And are you seriously bringing ageworthiness, up? White Burgundy, the world's most notoriously oxidation-prone wine, compared to a reductive Chardonnay bottled under screwcap?

Actually, I pointed out that the basis of your article is comparing not the best Burgundies and you respond with pedantry that GCs don't actually matter with your anecdotal beliefs about not always measuring up. And if you can't accept your best value argument isn't the end all, be all of one's opinions about what is the best wine/producer, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And yes, I think the producers have mostly gotten over the premature oxidation problem and the whites are once again worth aging.

Crimson posted:

Read closer. They're not the same tastings. And I linked two different events. Did I say it was earth shattering news? You're an rear end.

They're not? Since I asked for a GC comparison in regards to your ITB common knowledge and I get the same tripe about being the best wine vs village/1er and you use an ad hominem, great argument.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

Actually, I pointed out that the basis of your article is comparing not the best Burgundies and you respond with pedantry that GCs don't actually matter with your anecdotal beliefs about not always measuring up. And if you can't accept your best value argument isn't the end all, be all of one's opinions about what is the best wine/producer, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And yes, I think the producers have mostly gotten over the premature oxidation problem and the whites are once again worth aging.

You're repeating the same argument, refuting a point that I never made but you keep attacking. You haven't tasted the wines in question. You think premox is no longer and issue and you're wrong. You're an amateur arguing with wine professionals. Keep going.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

You're repeating the same argument, refuting a point that I never made but you keep attacking. You haven't tasted the wines in question. You think premox is no longer and issue and you're wrong. You're an amateur arguing with wine professionals. Keep going.

Your point is that Kumeu is among the best producers of Chardonnay in the world and you use as the basis for your argument a tasting that only compared the NZ's Burgundy wine equivalents, which is limited to village and 1ers. While you didn't make the point directly, the indirect argument is made for you in Robinson's article.

I don't need to taste the wines in question to bring up the point that I wonder how well these wines would fare in comparison to GCs and that is premature at best to call Kumeu among the top when I still haven't seen either from you or Crimson, evidence of supposed common ITB knowledge of their besting the top Chardonnays from Burgundy.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
You seem to be correct that it's the same tasting, the vintages don't entirely match up which threw me off. Jancis' article includes some 2013s which are not mentioned in the Decanter coverage. Regardless, the wines receive much critical adulation, so I ask you what would you deem as proper evidence that they are considered amongst the best Chardonnays in the world? Wine Advocate's Neil Martin straight up says they're one of the best in the world in his article about that tasting. I literally just attended a comparative tasting a couple months back with two master sommeliers featuring a new high end Chard from South Africa, and the comparison wines they used were two Grand Cru Burgundies and Kumeu River. It's selection alone is huge validation. The Kumeu River was everyone's favorite by a landslide, and one of the Burgs was premox. Go figure. This is one of several events I've been to between San Francisco and Las Vegas where some of the best palates in the world agree that Kumeu River is some good poo poo. Trouble is, I know this because I'm in the industry and they don't always publish articles on every tasting.

It seems like you wouldn't be satisfied unless they put Kumeu up against Montrachet specifically, which again, I think you're being pedantic. The fact that it regularly beats great premier cru wines that cost much more, and is frequently itself confused for great premier crus in blind tasting, should elevate it to the upper echelon of the world's Chardonnays.

By the way, ad hominen attacks are deserved when you write like this about fermentated grape juice:

quote:

I guess it's somehow earth shattering news that New World wines can beat village and 1er crus .:rolleyes:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

You seem to be correct that it's the same tasting, the vintages don't entirely match up which threw me off. Jancis' article includes some 2013s which are not mentioned in the Decanter coverage. Regardless, the wines receive much critical adulation, so I ask you what would you deem as proper evidence that they are considered amongst the best Chardonnays in the world? Wine Advocate's Neil Martin straight up says they're one of the best in the world in his article about that tasting. I literally just attended a comparative tasting a couple months back with two master sommeliers featuring a new high end Chard from South Africa, and the comparison wines they used were two Grand Cru Burgundies and Kumeu River. It's selection alone is huge validation. The Kumeu River was everyone's favorite by a landslide, and one of the Burgs was premox. Go figure. This is one of several events I've been to between San Francisco and Las Vegas where some of the best palates in the world agree that Kumeu River is some good poo poo. Trouble is, I know this because I'm in the industry and they don't always publish articles on every tasting.

It seems like you wouldn't be satisfied unless they put Kumeu up against Montrachet specifically, which again, I think you're being pedantic. The fact that it regularly beats great premier cru wines that cost much more, and is frequently itself confused for great premier crus in blind tasting, should elevate it to the upper echelon of the world's Chardonnays.

By the way, ad hominen attacks are deserved when you write like this about fermentated grape juice:

This entire argument has been whether or not it is premature to call a new world winery that can beat 1er as the world's best burgundy producer when it still hasn't gone among the best of the chardonnay world, which both of you ITB people have either directly or indirectly admitted through your own worlds or articles. The upper echelon of the world's chardonnays, i.e. 1er and below, != the best, which is something you still don't get, for some strange reason. Call it what you want but if you're going to make fanciful claims and then try to qualify the best as being near it, I think that's a poor argument and a hasty conclusion.

Being not part of the ITB crowd, I don't have your benefit of the doubt of seeing tastings where blind tastings have shown them beating the best and hence why I asked you for a link that showed this, since I didn't have any such luck on google either.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
As mentioned above, some of the best Burgundy is premier cru. Raveneau and Dauvissat's 1er crus regularly rival and surpass GC Chablis. In fact, Raveneau's village Chablis outpaces the price of some lesser GC bottlings. Meursault has no grand crus, and yet produces bottles that wholesale over $1000 (Coche-Dury) whereas Latour's Corton-Charlemagne can be had for about $130, which is actually less expensive that Coche-Dury's village Meursault. It's not so cut and dry that GC is always better, and the fact that they're 1er cru bottles in the tasting doesn't somehow completely invalidate the tasting.

"Proving" one wine is better than another is futile, and the best I can do is point you to Kumeu's own webpage listing all their accolades, the articles written by some of the most famous palates in the world clearly placing it among the world's best, and my own experiences across numerous tastings with many of the most well-respected people in wine. I get that you won't accept anything less than a lineup of Montrachet GC vs. Kumeu, done in the style of the 1976 Paris tasting, as proof that it belongs in the discussion, and I'm saying that's pretty ridiculous. Just try a bottle, it's delicious. I would swear you're a Burgundy winemaker.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I guess you missed some of my earlier statements but I've already made the acknowledgement that GCs don't necessarily mean better with the mention of Clos St Jacques, Malconsorts and Aux Burulees with the addition that producer skill also plays a huge part in determining quality as well, i.e. Domaine Leroy or Rousseau's high priced village or VV wines.

The main point I've been trying to make in my definitely wanting to see another Paris tasting especially with other new world wines is that until it's done, then it's ridiculous to try to argue that Kumeu is the best chardonnay producer in the world. In fact, all of the other articles you've mentioned or that I've searched for usually mention a limitation done on the Burgundy selected so that it's a fairer comparison not only in price but also in quality.

Lastly, I'm definitely trying bottles since I love getting near Burgundy quality without having to pay the associated price. I've also been doing that with trying to find NZ or OR pinots so I can drink with ease.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Secret Spoon posted:

Can anyone recommend me a solid Patagonian pinot? I had one a week ago that had hints of smoked meat and pepper that was amazing. I almost wanted to call it a syrah but it was too light.

Look into spatburgunder from Germany; it often has similar qualities re:smoked meat, pepper, savory stuff

P.S. im real mad about wine n stuff. who wants to start a natural wine slapfight. I bet all those poo poo rear end chardonnay people use like a billion ppm sulfur what a bunch of spoofulated bullshit wine

pps anyone follow the SF Chronicle? I just read their winemakers to watch/winemaker oty article and hoooooooooooly poo poo is the new person definitely not Jon Bonne

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 21, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

idiotsavant posted:

Look into spatburgunder from Germany; it often has similar qualities re:smoked meat, pepper, savory stuff

P.S. im real mad about wine n stuff. who wants to start a natural wine slapfight. I bet all those poo poo rear end chardonnay people use like a billion ppm sulfur what a bunch of spoofulated bullshit wine

pps anyone follow the SF Chronicle? I just read their winemakers to watch/winemaker oty article and hoooooooooooly poo poo is the new person definitely not Jon Bonne

It's totally maddening to me that the Natural Wine argument seems to solely revolve around sulfites. I feel like the wrong people got ahold of the agenda long ago and since then it's all anyone talks about. It's a valuable conversation, but it's sort of like talking about government. All it ever does is devolve into shitflinging over taxes.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

It's totally maddening to me that the Natural Wine argument seems to solely revolve around sulfites. I feel like the wrong people got ahold of the agenda long ago and since then it's all anyone talks about. It's a valuable conversation, but it's sort of like talking about government. All it ever does is devolve into shitflinging over taxes.

Actually the new new natty wine mandate is that all natural wine must come from organic/biodynamic/purestrain horseplowed unpruned Fukuoka vineyards. I dunno man, I just make the stuff.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Thanks for the NZ suggestions and the :munch: argument.

Looks like Kumeu River would be an easy 30 minute trip from Auckland, so I could probably do both a quick trip there and a full day in Waipara when I'm on the south island.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

Thanks, this is the post I needed, not the post I deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Secret Spoon posted:

Thanks, this is the post I needed, not the post I deserved.

Yeah I don't have a clue about South American Pinot. German Pinots can be loving awesome for that cured/smoked meats when you find them, tho.

Btw - how's your GI Bill thing work? Do you have to use it on school, or can you spend it doing other stuff? I'd seriously recommend you do back-to-back-to-back Northern/Southern hemisphere harvests with winemakers you're interested in rather than Davis or Fresno or something. If you want to do classes just take a few at Santa Rosa JC or Napa Valley College.