Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
On the Phantom Menace 'politics' thing, it definitely was something talked about at the time, but was overshadowed by the more obvious flaws, like Jar Jar and Anakin.

I remember even the Simpsons even did a bit about it in 2004:
https://youtu.be/dVyqVEYdwHM

...Wow, the Simpsons sure did get terrible in the 2000's.

I'm glad this film didn't go into to much detail around the politics. I agree a one liner of dialogue from Leia or someone could have made the Republic situation a bit clearer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My thought on the resistance is that it is indeed a confusing name considering the history of this series.

But I also think they could have explained the dynamics of the political players without bogging everything down.

Something like having Leia arguing with someone from the Republic when they come into the battle room. They could also address how the first order got so advanced without drawing the ire of the galactic government (ie they are in denial). Leia could have been yelling at them when we first met her.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Would kind of ruin a nice moment with how we actually first meet her, though.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

mlmp08 posted:

Some writer really loved the bowcaster. It was practically a character in and of itself.

This one felt weirdly specific, as I had just discovered it in Battlefront (Video game) and had been gushing about how powerful and fun it was to use. Then it appeared in the film blowing stormtroopers up left and right.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did they finally identify the Falcon as a YT-1300 on screen? Since there's one in Attack of the Clones, Rey is correct and that model of starship has been kicking around for at least 50 years now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Did they finally identify the Falcon as a YT-1300 on screen?

IIRC, yes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I honestly did not mind the political atmosphere of the prequels. I thought there were lots of interesting things in the prequels in general, but that were robbed of their full potency by weird or bad execution. The world of the PT actually felt very coherent and understandable thanks to the political worldbuilding.

I think the lack of political worldbuilding in TFA was definitely a kneejerk reaction of "FIGHT FULL-TILT AGAINST EVERYTHING PREQUEL-RELATED EVEN IF DOING SO DOESN'T MAKE SENSE" and in this case it definitely didn't make sense. The TFA outside of Jakku felt very incoherent and afterthoughty. I don't know how anyone got to where they were and I don't know what either side actually wants. It made all the Resistance stuff in the finale come across with, like, one-tenth of the gravitas and stakes that the personal stuff of Han and Rey and Finn did.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 21, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

Did they finally identify the Falcon as a YT-1300 on screen? Since there's one in Attack of the Clones, Rey is correct and that model of starship has been kicking around for at least 50 years now.

They just said it was a "YT class". So...close enough?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
They tried to make the players in the universe to complex. A new hope worked because there was a clear delineation. This tried to be ANH while being as complex as the PT.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly did not mind the political atmosphere of the prequels. I thought there were lots of interesting things in the prequels in general, but that were robbed of their full potency by weird or bad execution. The world of the PT actually felt very coherent and understandable thanks to the political worldbuilding.

I think the lack of political worldbuilding in TFW was definitely a kneejerk reaction of "FIGHT FULL-TILT AGAINST EVERYTHING PREQUEL-RELATED EVEN IF DOING SO DOESN'T MAKE SENSE" and in this case it definitely didn't make sense. The TFW outside of Jakku felt very incoherent and afterthoughty. I don't know how anyone got to where they were and I don't know what either side actually wants. It made all the Resistance stuff in the finale come across with, like, one-tenth of the gravitas and stakes that the personal stuff of Han and Rey and Finn did.

I agree with this. That's why the prequels were so bad, they had so much going for them but it got destroyed by lovely characters, bad dialogue and awful cinematography/editing

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

How does hyperspace travel work, such that it makes this impossible?

In the EU you got hosed up if you did that according to Wookiepedia

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

One thing I noticed in the movie and which also caught my notice during the recent Star Trek films is this shaky-flying thing going on with spaceships. I don't know if it's an Abrams thing or what, but both the Enterprise and the Millenium Falcon looked like they were shaking with energy while they were zooming along at fasty-fast speed. Is this a new thing, or have I just forgotten that sort of thing happening in the old Star Wars films and old Star Trek and misc old sci-fi?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why does Leia have a British accent in ANH and an American one in all the other movies

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They should have waited for Ren to take off his mask. Instead of doing it before Rey, it probably would have been a more powerful moment if the first time we saw his face is when his father asked him to remove it.

Speaking of which. I'll buy into spaceships, lightsabers, The Force and all that, but am I truly supposed to believe that Kylo Ren's hair looks that magnificent once the helmut is removed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Smoking Crow posted:

Why does Leia have a British accent in ANH and an American one in all the other movies

She uses the accent when doing "official Senate stuff", like when she's accosted on her ship, talking to Tarkin/Vader, etc. It fades away when she's with Han and Luke

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

jivjov posted:

She uses the accent when doing "official Senate stuff", like when she's accosted on her ship, talking to Tarkin/Vader, etc. It fades away when she's with Han and Luke

Are only British people allowed in the senate

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

One thing I noticed in the movie and which also caught my notice during the recent Star Trek films is this shaky-flying thing going on with spaceships. I don't know if it's an Abrams thing or what, but both the Enterprise and the Millenium Falcon looked like they were shaking with energy while they were zooming along at fasty-fast speed. Is this a new thing, or have I just forgotten that sort of thing happening in the old Star Wars films and old Star Trek and misc old sci-fi?

I think it's a symptom of the overly-kinetic, breathless storytelling technique at play, here. Everything feels like a rush from point A to point B, while in A New Hope hyperspace travel involved setting your coordinates and then chilling with some holo-chess while watching some Jedi training.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Smoking Crow posted:

Are only British people allowed in the senate

Imperials tend to have the accent; she's trying to blend in and do subversive Rebel stuff while still appearing to be a good Imperial citizen.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Smoking Crow posted:

She had just come from boarding school in England or something and was stuck in some kind of affectation. I think.

Unrelated: Does anyone think Stormtroopers died absolutely glorious deaths in this movie? Every time they got shot, they'd fly through the air, land with broken necks, smash into the nearest piece of immovable object, or crumble into a pile of broken armor. I imagine stuntmen dangling from wires on the set like unattended marionettes, all concussed and bruised. It's really wonderful.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Another thing I liked was how grabby Finn was with Rey, esp when he inexplicably uses her head for leverage to peer at Han's freighter. I also liked that first moment when he hears the TIE fighter scream drawing near at Rey's outpost and sort of flips his poo poo. I though all that was paced nicely and Im trying to recall where the movie lost me exactly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Davros1 posted:

They should have waited for Ren to take off his mask. Instead of doing it before Rey, it probably would have been a more powerful moment if the first time we saw his face is when his father asked him to remove it.

I don't think the scene between Rey and Kylo Ren mind reading one another would have worked if we didn't see Ren's facial reaction when Rey pushed back. Had to make a compromise there I suppose but I agree, if they had saved the reveal during his confrontation with Han, it would have been a lot more of an emotional.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zodack posted:

In the EU you got hosed up if you did that according to Wookiepedia

Ah yes, Wookieepedia is how you can tell the plot event is stupid.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of which. I'll buy into spaceships, lightsabers, The Force and all that, but am I truly supposed to believe that Kylo Ren's hair looks that magnificent once the helmut is removed?

I thought the first mask reveal was fantastic but I do think its funny to imagine Adam Drivers giant mop of hair crammed into that helmet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Unrelated: Does anyone think Stormtroopers died absolutely glorious deaths in this movie? Every time they got shot, they'd fly through the air, land with broken necks, smash into the nearest piece of immovable object, or crumble into a pile of broken armor. I imagine stuntmen dangling from wires on the set like unattended marionettes, all concussed and bruised. It's really wonderful.

I think the really brutal kills you're talking about were reserved exclusively for the bowcaster. They really sold it as a badass weapon. Did we ever get to see Chewie fire it in the originals?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Has the movie starring Chewbacca been greenlit yet

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He fired it a few times, but it was never important to show that it was powerful so that a character who later survived being shot by it could be communicated as both really tough and badly wounded.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ofaloaf posted:

It's been a developing trend in sci-fi in general, yeah. In ANH and ESB, even frenetic scenes like the Falcon traversing an asteroid show the interior as steady and calm, with people being able to walk about the cabin. Honestly, it was so extreme on that end that I started wondering if maybe there's some form of antigrav on Star Wars ships. You get a bit more shakiness in ROTJ when they're moving through the Death Star, but it's still quite serene.

But yeah, as cinematic technology has evolved, we've gotten more concerned with immersive weight and impact. I mean, if your ship is pulling 5 Gs by doing a flip that ends up waaay too close to the desert ground, you'd want to show that it's taking a toll on the pilots and interior of the craft as well, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the shield generator for Death Star 2 was on Endor, wouldn't it be stuck there lest it be defenseless?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

How does hyperspace travel work, such that it makes this impossible?

I don't know about impossible, it just reminds me of what JJ did with transporters.

I was thinking there was something in one of the earlier film novelizations saying that it couldn't be done, but if there was, it's no longer valid because the movies win in any movie-vs-novelization canon debate. So now we should see everyone doing this at all times to escape sticky situations on planet surfaces.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Josh Lyman posted:

If the shield generator for Death Star 2 was on Endor, wouldn't it be stuck there lest it be defenseless?

The shield was to protect it during construction.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's the actual opening weekend numbers. $10 million above the last estimate, even!

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens stormed the box office and walked away with $247.9 million in its first three days domestically (including $57 million in Thursday night "previews") along with another $281 million internationally for a massive $524.9 million worldwide opening. Suffice to say, this shatters the domestic box office opening weekend record of $208.8 million set by Jurassic World earlier this year as well as the worldwide opening weekend record, but the record-breaking doesn't end there.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Smoking Crow posted:

Has the movie starring Chewbacca been greenlit yet

It was, back in 1978. It's called the Holiday Special. You should give it a watch. Total Emmy material.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

INH5 posted:

I think most of the complaints about politics in the prequels were more along the lines of it being ridiculous that a Star Wars movie was about something as banal as "taxation of trade routes," and that the political discussion scenes went on too long. The proper reaction to these criticisms is not to cut out all political exposition, to the point that the audience has no idea what is going on unless they read the EU material.

I remember reading a website a few years ago advocating the "machete order" of showing the Star Wars movies to your kids or a friend who hasn't seen the movies before: ANH, ESB, AotC, RotS, RotJ, skipping The Phantom Menace entirely. One of the stated reasons was along the lines of, "The plots of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are driven by some systems wanting to break away from the Republic. That's a much easier conflict for kids to understand than a dispute involving taxes and trade routes."

The plot of TPM is incredibly easy to understand, even if you don't know what taxes are. The Trade Federation are greedy bad guys, they're trying to take the Queen's planet from her, and the Queen is trying to escape to Coruscant to get help from the leaders there. My five-year-old brother understood what was going on when I watched it with him. He wasn't confused by the mention of words like "blockade" because, guess what--it's freaking obvious what's going on just by looking at the images that appear on the screen, and the way the characters act, react, and interact.

Hell, my little brother actually gets excited when he's driving in a car with someone and hears people talking about the Senate on the radio, because he thinks it's so cool that there's a Senate in real life too, just like in Star Wars. Star Wars has actually, in a small way, gotten him to develop an interest in basic political concepts--at the age of five. I, for one, think that's really cool. I think people just don't give kids enough credit. Kids are smarter than you think.

Just because the politics in TPM bored you to tears when you were a kid, doesn't mean the same held true for everyone else your age. In fact, given the popularity of the movies among children, I'd suggest that your experience was probably not the norm. I know I didn't understand everything that was going on when I saw TPM in theaters when I was seven, but that doesn't mean I automatically went spastic with boredom during the one measly scene that took place in the Senate--because the Senate chamber looked cool, and dramatic things were clearly happening.

But I sure as poo poo knew what was going on when Amidala got angry and called for a Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum, after which Valorum looks visibly betrayed and defeated, and Palpatine literally says aloud, "Now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue." This really isn't rocket science. Any reasonably intelligent kid is going to be able to get the gist here. Kids aren't retards.

e: (I mean, except for the retarded ones.)

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 22, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cnut the Great posted:

The plot of TPM is incredibly easy to understand, even if you don't know what taxes are. The Trade Federation are greedy bad guys, they're trying to take the Queen's planet from her, and the Queen is trying to escape to Coruscant to get help from the leaders there. My five-year-old brother understood what was going on when I watched it with him. He wasn't confused by the mention of words like "blockade" because, guess what--it's freaking obvious what's going on just by looking at the images that appear on the screen, and the way the characters act, react, and interact.

Hell, my little brother actually gets excited when he's driving in a car with someone and hears people talking about the Senate on the radio, because he thinks it's so cool that there's a Senate in real life too, just like in Star Wars. Star Wars has actually, in a small way, gotten him to develop an interest in basic political concepts--at the age of five. I, for one, think that's really cool. I think people just don't give kids enough credit. Kids are smarter than you think.

Just because the politics in TPM bored you to tears when you were a kid, doesn't mean the same held true for everyone else your age. In fact, given the popularity of the movies among children, I'd suggest that your experience was probably not the norm. I know I didn't understand everything that was going on when I saw TPM in theaters when I was seven, but that doesn't mean I automatically went spastic with boredom during the one measly scene that took place in the Senate--because the Senate chamber looked cool, and dramatic things were clearly happening.

But I sure as poo poo knew what was going on when Amidala got angry and called for a Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum, after which Valorum looks visibly betrayed and defeated, and Palpatine literally says aloud, "Now they will elect a new Chancellor, a strong Chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue." This really isn't rocket science. Any reasonably intelligent kid is going to be able to get the gist here. Kids aren't retards.

e: (I mean, except for the retarded ones.)

It's not that all those nerdy words were hard to understand. It's that it was boring as gently caress and poorly written.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Ok, so who's helmet is this: http://i.imgur.com/GHRFHNR.png

Link is a spoiler.

edit:

Nevermind! Someone solved this already: http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg (Link is a spoiler).

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 22, 2015

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
In regards to the politics thing, in and of itself, it's not bad. If you take the prequels apart piece by piece the only really bad 'things' are the writing for Anakin, Lucas' directing performance, the CGI, and Hayden's performance.

The ideas presented in the prequels are so loving cool but they were all executed so goddamn poorly.

There's nothing to lift those movies up above mediocre, and as a result, it just makes everything in them feel 'lovely', even if the ideas were good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Here's the actual opening weekend numbers. $10 million above the last estimate, even!

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Balance has been restored.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not that this matters in the least and it's extremely :spergin: , but a lot of people have mentioned it so:

I didn't think the blaster bolt that Kylo Ren froze was a regular blaster shot. It was blue and it exploded on impact. I thought it was some kind of...explosive shot, more akin to an actual gunshot or explosive round (is that a thing?) than a regular blaster bolt. I don't know if that makes the feat slightly less impressive (freezing a physical object rather than a laser blast) or not. Like I said, :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Nevermind! Someone solved this already: http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg (Link is a spoiler).

I think they took this picture on the toilet.

• Locked thread