Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its not Lando Calrissian.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Hollismason posted:

They found Luke's lightsaber from it falling into the Bespin atmosphere so it's not that out there for Vader's to be recovered but destroyed some what.

Luke's lightsaber fell to the bottom of cloud city, not to the center of Bespin.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Phylodox posted:

I think the hologram is probably entirely a fabrication. The obvious answer is that it's hiding a character we already know (like Lando). Or maybe Luke's gone space-bananas.

that would be really dumb

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Snoke is Voldemort.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fred Breakfast posted:

Luke's lightsaber fell to the bottom of cloud city, not to the center of Bespin.

Yeah it did. It falls out of the garbage shoot where Luke drops out of along with his hand.

Screencap

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 21, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

that would be really dumb

Mark Hamill's good at playing crazy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Finally saw the movie, very enjoyable. Glad I avoided any spoilers beyond "Han dies" (which to be honest you could see coming during the scene even without forewarning, it's not like the bad guy was gonna turn back then so only one way for things to go really, and the whole light shift thing was the obvious signal), but now at least I can join the discussion. My thoughts:

It struck me this is probably the funniest of the Star Wars films, I and everybody else in the theatre were laughing a lot. Helped a lot with the characters winning me over really, they could note the absurdity of their situation without undercutting the gravity of those events.

The opening scene with the Star Destroyer eclipsing the planets the text roll panned down to was a nice surprise, was not expecting it to enter the scene like THAT. Kudos for upholding the traditional Star Wars opening shot in interesting fashion.

Finn is barely competent, which makes him downright incompetent by Star Wars protagonist standards, and I LOVE it. Of course he should be over his head and barely keeping up, he's a brainwashed kid, and this was obviously the first time he'd done any sort of actual fighting. Add in the fact he's suddenly doing about a million things beyond his training and it makes sense he's running around frantically trying to think on his feet the whole film. I also enjoy the fact while he is sincerely against the First Order he isn't really interested in the Resistance, he's just drawn to Poe and Rey. No high ideals, just an awesome bromance (Poe-mance?) and a girl whose rear end he is blatantly trying to tap. Kinda funny how he tries to up-sell himself as a big Resistance hero to impress the latter when the actual truth that he had the moral courage to defy a lifetime of indoctrination is probably far more impressive. Hell, can't really write off his fear of facing the First Order as cowardice, he no doubt has to KNOW by repeated "example" just what they will do to people like him, and yet when they threaten the only people he gives a drat about he mans up every time. With limited success, but no lack of heart. And the other characters love him for it, it says something that after complaining about him holding her hand Rey immediately offers hers to him when his first question after the explosion is if she is alright.

As for Rey, I can't really buy the "Mary Sue" stuff being bandied about in the thread, she has WAY too many moments she messes up. Sure she beats Finn out thanks to having slightly more life experience than him (and the Force, which has been shown to make badasses out of undertrained civilians for six movies now), but there's a deliberate moment at the start where she's freaking out about flying the Falcon as much as Finn is in the turret (the payoff of them both raving how awesome the other is afterwards is one of the best moments of the film) and she proceeds to bang the poor Falcon into about half of Jakku taking off. Then there's the little bits like "oops, wrong fuse" and forgetting the safety on her gun. Everything she does show competence in easily falls into the category of either plausible untrained Force use giving her "luck" or natural displays of skills she shows she has learned previously (somebody who scrounges and fixes tech for a living SHOULD be good at working with the Falcon and other devices, she crawls into various nooks and crannies of Imperial tech all the time so navigating Starkiller Base works, and her melee skills being good enough to hold out against an already wounded Kylo Ren (who wants to recruit her, to boot) until the Force kicks in also fits).

And speaking of competence, I rather like that Kylo Ren is obviously not a cool and skillful Sith like his idol, but has some under-competence issues of his own. Sure he rightly has more experience and skill than Finn and Rey, but not so much that their defeat of him is implausible. I agree with whoever in here wrote that it'll be interesting to see the bad guy skill up at the same time as the good guys. While I see an obvious redemption arc available for him, part of me almost hopes they don't go with it and he dies an unrepentant villain. Let's face it, there are plenty of people who never make it back over that line in real life, and it would be almost cliche for him to manage it. Having a villain whose death brings as much sorrow because he couldn't be saved as relief could be a powerful moment.

Anyway, my initial reaction to the film. I definitely look forward to seeing where things go from here.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Snoke is Snoke and he's 7 foot something.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/people-magazine-confirms-snokes-height-and-weight-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Phylodox posted:

No, Luke as Snoke would be dumb

Sith Luke would be ok

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish Maz was done as a puppet. Would have been a great homage to Yoda with a new character. As she was in this film the acting was certainly solid, but the up close CGI stood out like a sore thumb.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Maybe Kylo tricked Luke into killing everybody in the academy :tinfoil:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The EU portrays Darth Plageius as a Muun, tall, gangly humanoids associated with the Intergalactic Banking Clan. Not quite the kind of tall, gangly humanoid Snoke appeared to be, though, since Muun had more elongated heads. Anyway, it's the EU, so who knows anymore?

Speaking of EU nonsense, is the maneuver the Falcon pulled to get past Starkiller Base's shields possible according to the rules they set up with mass shadows and Interdictors and such?

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it did. It falls out of the garbage shoot where Luke drops out of along with his hand.

Screencap

I always thought that was his blaster

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

No, Luke as Snoke would be dumb

Sith Luke would be ok

Snoke stuck out like a sore thumb. There has to be more to him than "obvious Palpatine rip-off". This movie is way too self-aware to let that pass. The obvious answer is that he's a familiar character masquerading as not-Palpatine to serve their own ends, but who would fit that bill? All the villainous characters who it could be are dead. Unless, like someone said, it's a character mentioned in passing in the prequels, but that seems less than rewarding.

Fred Breakfast posted:

I always thought that was his blaster

It was. His lightsaber falls down the big shaft with his hand. We have no idea where it ends up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Rey jumps straight at the camera to catch a rope, and at one point a Star Destroyer pokes you in the eye.

Those are the two mandatory OMG 3D!!!! moments but the rest was pretty good!
I was reaching out for that Star Destroyer because it seemed close enough for me to grab.

I really, really appreciated the 3D in the movie. Even the little bits during a chase down an corridor or something where one of the actors you are following on the right side seemed outside the screen chasing into it.

I really didn't have much in the way of expectations going into this movie beyond knowing some goons enjoyed it but I had an amazing time, and was really hype for the characters when they'd be amazed they'd get through some trial and pumping each other up.

I will absolutely watch this again.

Phylodox posted:

My brother and I were wagering as to whether they'll sneak the Joker laugh in somewhere.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 21, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

The fact that everyone we see in the First Order, even the higher-ups like Hux, is too young to remember the Empire feels like it's actually a significant glimpse into what the First Order is all about.

That makes sense! Thanks!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Phylodox posted:

It was. His lightsaber falls down the big shaft with his hand. We have no idea where it ends up.

I bet you could totally clone an evil Luke from his chopped off hand jus saying.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Screencap

His hand gets cut off a few minutes before he jumps, you don't see it at all in the tube when he comes to a halt, and that sceencap isn't really clear enough to show what that thing is. I figure it's his blaster or something else on his belt. Or maybe a piece of the antenna that got knocked off when Luke landed on it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet you could totally clone an evil Luke from his chopped off hand jus saying.

Needs more vowels.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm the guy itt who thinks the movie would be better if a major character died in a flashback and the bad guy was more likeable.

As an old who grew up with star wars I loved this. It did hit all the marks and it was fun. I liked that Ren's voice modulator made him sound like he was standing in your face. Definitely the best part of his design.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

dmboogie posted:

Were we supposed to have any idea who the old guy Poe got the map from was? Like, the opening crawl lists him as "an old ally" and his dialogue makes him sound like s big deal, but after he dies he never comes up again.

Probably some kind of sequel hook.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I have no idea what the point of Captain Phasma was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SunAndSpring posted:

to get people to buy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK45cONHijU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SunAndSpring posted:

To be about as influential as Boba Fett.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SunAndSpring posted:

Phasma felt like one of the (many) things they wanted to do in this movie, but couldn't exactly find the time or situation to do it in. On paper, a strong, imposing, ruthless henchman who is, incidentally, a woman sounds great, but there wasn't really room for her in this story, but they didn't have the heart to excise her entirely.

EDIT: Y'know, I think that might be my biggest problem with this movie. It kind of doesn't know the difference between a cool idea and a good idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boba Fett actually did something in the movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

He broke a droid, made a delivery, and then died looking like a bumbling idiot.
There's plenty of time in the next two movies for Phasma to do at least one of those things.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Cool character design that stands around doing nothing, everyone speaks of what a badass the character is, and then gets taken out like a chump. What on earth could they be going for!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CelticPredator posted:

We are only 1/3rd of the way done. Come back if she's continued to have done nothing after the next 2/3rds

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

raditts posted:

He broke a droid, made a delivery, and then died looking like a bumbling idiot.
There's plenty of time in the next two movies for Phasma to do at least one of those things.

Um. He followed Han Solo to Cloud City, talked back to Darth Vader, and then took Han Solo to Jabba's Palace.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tall and very thin? What does that remind me of.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

Um. He followed Han Solo to Cloud City

Lando: "I had no choice. They arrived right before you did. I'm sorry."

CelticPredator posted:

talked back to Darth Vader

"He's no good to me dead" is hardly a chokeworthy level of sass.

CelticPredator posted:

and then took Han Solo to Jabba's Palace.

right, "made a delivery", like I said. He didn't even package the delivery. And then he died looking like a bumbling idiot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Besides the Jar Jar cameo on Max Kanzanka's base?

Please tell me it took the form of a stuffed and mounted head.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He endured the Jedi Rocks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

raditts posted:

"He's no good to me dead" is hardly a chokeworthy level of sass.

right, "made a delivery", like I said. He didn't even package the delivery. And then he died looking like a bumbling idiot.

Still more than Captain Phasma did.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

Yeah, because they jumped there through hyperspace while the Falcon had to limp there at regular speed. It was still Fett who tracked them, extrapolated their destination, and told Vader so they'd be waiting for Han and them when they arrived.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It was still Fett who tracked them, extrapolated their destination,

Not THIS ship, sister.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

El Disco posted:

His hand gets cut off a few minutes before he jumps, you don't see it at all in the tube when he comes to a halt, and that sceencap isn't really clear enough to show what that thing is. I figure it's his blaster or something else on his belt. Or maybe a piece of the antenna that got knocked off when Luke landed on it.

I'm absolutely sure that you see Lukes saber fall to the planet. I'll try to find a better shot, but Jose can probably fire up the blue rays. I don't actually have them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The film would've been vastly improved if they'd have dropped Rey and just had it been the adventures of Finn and Poe because those dudes had some chemistry. For added fun they could've turned the bromance up to 11 and made them explicitly gay which would probably make the internet explode. I'm guess I'm saying that the film would've have benefited greatly from having the main characters be a interracial gay couple in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm absolutely sure that you see Lukes saber fall to the planet. I'll try to find a better shot, but Jose can probably fire up the blue rays. I don't actually have them.

But...how? His saber falls down after his hand gets lopped off. We stay with Luke and Vader for a good couple of minutes, then Luke falls, gets sucked into a side shaft, and ends up on an antenna. When would we have seen the lightsaber fall? It's long gone by the time he lands on the antenna.

• Locked thread