Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, let's try this. When Native American groups complain about people using their sacred vestments as a fashion statement, are they big privileged babies who don't know about real suffering and should just shut up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

How does that logic work to you? Why would people doing mutually bad things to each other just be 'stupid'? Try to actually make a coherent argument, right now your only argument is "This is dumb, I don't like it".

How is it a good way to figure out if something is insulting? How does this make sense to you? What about a minority of people who find it insulting--do they not really find it insulting if the majority does? I'm really interested in the logic of your ol' brain pan, it seems to have cool rules. You keep saying "Japanese people" as though they all think one thing, too, and you keep conflating Japanese and Japanese-American people.

Hahah nice one. I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to believe you actually feel this same, this is just too much a classic "No, you're the racist." US movies have a large problem of undercasting Asians. They cast white people for asian roles, they make very few asian roles, and so, asians are hugely underrepresented in our movies, and they are most especially underrepresented in leading roles. This is a real, actual thing that happens, it's not a feeling or an emotion. The reverse is not true: Asians do not frequently get cast to play white roles, and obviously, whites are overrepresented in hollywood movies. So it's not in the least, in any way, the slightest, to any degree, like saying that stormtroopers can't be black. It's noting that yet again, Hollywood decides to not take an absolutely perfect chance to cast lead Asian actors and instead casts white people for the leads, and the problem of asian under representation remains. The added insult here is that it's also taking a very real place with a very real health crisis in Japan and using it as a horror movie.

Edit: Also are you not from the US and you don't know what racial purity means or something?

Oh no, I'm using that term quite intentionally and I'm not hinting at anything, your screeds about who the true owners of culture are and the need to keep the white man from defiling it are the inverse of 1930's era kkk nonsense.

This isn't affirmative action here, the idea that cultures need to be forcibly kept pure is racist drivel regardless of the direction in the power relationship it's going.

Also you just used the word authentic to describe cuisine, which is adorable.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Ok, let's try this. When Native American groups complain about people using their sacred vestments as a fashion statement, are they big privileged babies who don't know about real suffering and should just shut up?

Disrespecting and trivializing people's religious beliefs is disrespectful.

Trivializing and commercializing cultural icons and concepts that are held solemn is disrespectful.

Trying to equate these things to a cafeteria worker over cooking your sushi rice or Hollywood casting a white samurai is also disrespectful to people with legitimate grievances.

I don't need this ridiculous framework to reach those conclusions.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Jarmak posted:

Oh no, I'm using that term quite intentionally and I'm not hinting at anything, your screeds about who the true owners of culture are and the need to keep the white man from defiling it are the inverse of 1930's era kkk nonsense.

Except they're not, because there actually is an underrepresentation of Asians in american cinema, an I'm not arguing for an all-Japanese cast. Also, racial purity has to do with two races having sex and making babies, not movie casting.

quote:

This isn't affirmative action here, the idea that cultures need to be forcibly kept pure is racist drivel regardless of the direction in the power relationship it's going.

I'm not saying anything at all about keeping cultures apart, though. Not anything at all. I already said cultural exchange is fine. So what are you talking about?

quote:

You're a cutie-patootie yourself, but looks ain't everything.

You want to actually engage with the argument about how it's nothing like complaining about black stormtroopers or can't you really get a handle on that?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Obdicut posted:

Hah no it's not, it's considered wildly biased by modern ethnographers, anthropologists, and sociologists and rife with methodological problems. Who told you it's still highly regarded? The same people who told you race was a real thing?

The books is obviously not flawless and is somewhat outdated, but in my opinion, and I cursory googled if anything has changed in the past 10 years, you are underestimating the book's significance. There might be some scholars who are very vocal and harsh critics of Benedict, like Lummis, but they are not without they own critics (like Pauline Kent). I maintain that even in Japan Benedict's work is still highly regarded in general.
Nevertheless, if you feel like mass media just won't do to give even some basic perspective, feel free to link to a scientific article that explores this subject. Anything will do, really.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

"Treating other cultures with a bare-minimum amount of respect" is now on the same level as lynching a black person. Got it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Paladinus posted:

The books is obviously not flawless and is somewhat outdated, but in my opinion, and I cursory googled if anything has changed in the past 10 years, you are underestimating the book's significance. There might be some scholars who are very vocal and harsh critics of Benedict, like Lummis, but they are not without they own critics (like Pauline Kent). I maintain that even in Japan Benedict's work is still highly regarded in general.
Nevertheless, if you feel like mass media just won't do to give even some basic perspective, feel free to link to a scientific article that explores this subject. Anything will do, really.

It has been significant, but even from the start it was criticized and its flaws are completely well known. It is actually an amazingly interesting book because it was in many ways formative of post-war Japanese culture, but that was an impact long ago.

This is a very good discussion of its virtues and its flaws. Note this:
http://www.jpri.org/publications/occasionalpapers/op32.html

quote:

This is not to say that Chrysanthemum has no academic value, as Watsuji emotionally declared. But it was a project in applied anthropology that served the specific needs of the war and the aftermath of the war. Although the bulk of research Benedict used for her data had been collected during the war, she actually wrote the book after the war. Hence, there was a different ethos in the reception of the book as compared to the wartime enemy morals studies in which Benedict and many other anthropologists in the U.S. had participated. These included Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson, who assisted the Office of War Information in trying to gain the upper hand in psychological warfare (see note 2). By the time Benedict published Chrysanthemum, the U. S. had dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Japan’s defeat was complete. Sympathy for Japan and Japanese culture was a real possibility.

It was an immensely politicized book, what is remarkable is how much it got right or not totally wrong, but it is still massively ahistorical and tends to follow the 'authoritative' view of Japanese culture as imposed top-down rather than examining Japan as a society with tensions within it. It's a bit old-school functionalist in that regard, and extremely reductionist.

I don't know of any scientific articles about what Japanese people think of US doing whatever with their culture, I doubt it would be highly studied. There's probably some articles about Asian-Americans and their perception of it that you can find on google scholar, it's way out of my field so I don't have any to hand nor would I know how to distinguish between quality easily.

Who What Now posted:

"Treating other cultures with a bare-minimum amount of respect" is now on the same level as lynching a black person. Got it.

I think he might be aiming for self-parody, the 'racial purity' bit seems too silly a mistake not to make on purpose.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Disrespecting and trivializing people's religious beliefs is disrespectful.

Trivializing and commercializing cultural icons and concepts that are held solemn is disrespectful.

Trying to equate these things to a cafeteria worker over cooking your sushi rice or Hollywood casting a white samurai is also disrespectful to people with legitimate grievances.

I don't need this ridiculous framework to reach those conclusions.

But the people bringing up poo poo like sushi rice as a legitimate issue are vastly vastly outnumbered by the ones using it to delegitimize the concerns of minorities as a whole.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No one's using it itt to delegitimize 'concerns of minorities as a whole', it's being used to critique the concept of cultural appropriation as useful and consistent.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

No one's using it to delegitimize 'concerns of minorities as a whole', it's being used to critique the concept of cultural appropriation as useful and consistent. You don't get to just make poo poo up to put yourself on the moral high ground, buddy.

Actually, unless you're psychic, you can't definitively say that anyone other than yourself is definitely *in nasal voice* "critique[ing] the concept of cultural appropriation as useful and consistent".

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I changed the response because he might be referring to people in general, but I've yet to see anyone itt use it in that way. Also:

Effectronica posted:

Rudatron, being unable to comprehend a simple English sentence, as you have demonstrated with this post, means that you are too stupid, dishonest, or jackassy to have a conversation with.
If you're gong to be melodramatic about posting in a dead, gay comedy forum, you could at least be consistent about it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

I changed the response because he might be referring to people in general, but I've yet to see anyone itt use it in that way. Also:

If you're gong to be melodramatic about posting in a dead, gay comedy forum, you could at least be consistent about it.

This isn't a conversation, it's me talking at you to relieve stress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And, again, in this thread, you can't actually say that you're definitively sure nobody is using it for any purpose other than straight critique. I suspect many people are not using it for such, because they do not act in a way consistent with criticism.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

rudatron posted:

No one's using it itt to delegitimize 'concerns of minorities as a whole', it's being used to critique the concept of cultural appropriation as useful and consistent.

Why is that a useful thing to do? Is that useful for other terms, like 'racism', or is it possible that, since we don't have to only say the words 'cultural appropriation' and then run away, we can contextualize it so that even though the two words themselves encompass something with a broad area, any particular usage of it is specific. Similarly, when we say 'racism', we are allowed to say other words so we can specify if we mean an individually-trivial microaggression or the outright statement that a race is subhuman.

Why hold 'cultural appropriation' to a standard no other term is held to?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
CA not used as a morally-neutral category term, but as a kind of 'culture-crime'. If it in itself cannot be shown to actually be wrong, there's something wrong with that concept.

An example: If I invented the term 'stabby motions' to categorize both stabbing someone to death and fencing, used the obvious crime of stabbing to declare that 'stabby motions' was always bad and, therefore, so was fencing, would you accept that as valid? So, if something as pointless as food, or hair, or any of that other bullshit can be declared culturally appropriative, then you have to actually get into the thick of the utility of the term 'cultural appropriation'.

Racism, in contrast, is always bad. Why? Because that follows from the actual meaning of the category, you're dehumanizing people with magical thinking. Anything you can call racist (and I mean actually call racist, as in show why it matches the popular definition of the term) carries the same connotation. It is therefore a useful category when talking about human behaviors.

Effectronica posted:

This isn't a conversation, it's me talking at you to relieve stress. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And, again, in this thread, you can't actually say that you're definitively sure nobody is using it for any purpose other than straight critique. I suspect many people are not using it for such, because they do not act in a way consistent with criticism.
So you are, by your own admission, not interested in debate and discussion, but instead just harassing other posters for your own amusement? That's sounds like that would be against the forum rules. For your own sake, please find another, more constructive, outlet for whatever anger/stress problems you have.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

rudatron posted:

CA not used as a morally-neutral category term, but as a kind of 'culture-crime'. If it in itself cannot be shown to actually be wrong, there's something wrong with that concept.

Racism is also not a morally-neutral category term, nor are many others that are similarly broad. There is no such thing as 'it in itself', it is about the relationship and transaction that occurs, there's no abstraction of it any more than there is an abstraction of racism beyond the ineffable.

quote:

An example: If I invented the term 'stabby motions' to categorize both stabbing someone to death and fencing, used the obvious crime of stabbing to declare that 'stabby motions' was always bad and, therefore, so was fencing, would you accept that as valid? So, if something as pointless as food, or hair, or any of that other bullshit can be declared culturally appropriative, then you have to actually get into the thick of the utility of the term 'cultural appropriation'.

Yeah that sure would be dumb. What if instead, you made a loving horrible analogy? What would happen then?

quote:

Racism, in contrast, is always bad. Why? Because that follows from the actual meaning of the category, you're dehumanizing people with magical thinking. Anything you can call racist (and I mean actually call racist, as in show why it matches the popular definition of the term) carries the same connotation. It is therefore a useful category when talking about human behaviors.

Sorry, this makes no sense at all. What is the definition of racist that you're using here?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Yeah that sure would be dumb. What if instead, you made a loving horrible analogy? What would happen then?

Actually the analogy is a bit rhetorically clumsy but pretty dead on.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Your challenge now, Obdicut, is to intellectually refute the analogy without violating this response of yours:

Obdicut posted:

There is no such thing as 'it in itself', it is about the relationship and transaction that occurs, there's no abstraction of it any more than there is an abstraction of racism beyond the ineffable.
That is, pretend that this is my response to your claims that 'stabby motions' is stupid.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

rudatron posted:

Your challenge now, Obdicut, is to intellectually refute the analogy without violating this response of yours:

That is, pretend that this is my response to your claims that 'stabby motions' is stupid.

Okay. Stabby motions is stupid because it lumps in positive things with negative things. Cultural appropriation only addresses negative things, even if some of those negatives are extremely trivial. Cultural appropriation is not cultural exchange or participation.

Now, explain what your definition of racism is, please, you know, that thing you just skipped over so agilely.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Okay, so imagine there's a magical realm where people interact with one another respectfully and intellectually, and let's say that there's a bunch of jackasses with names like "lewdatron" and "sharmak" who insist that they are acting in the service of this magical realm as they plunder and slaughter their way across more mundane worlds. Now, let's all critique this analogy as though it were put forth as a serious intellectual proposition rather than as some cheap gamesmanship, just like with the whole "stabby motions" nonsense.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Okay. Stabby motions is stupid because it lumps in positive things with negative things. Cultural appropriation only addresses negative things, even if some of those negatives are extremely trivial. Cultural appropriation is not cultural exchange or participation.

Except no, that's the entire point, cultural appropriation is attempting to tie a bunch of positive and neutral poo poo to a handful of actually bad things. Like I don't know how I could be more clear, I'm not dismissing bad bahn mi as "trivial" I'm saying it's not problematic at all. The problematic part is some privileged gently caress who complains that the underfunded under trained cafeteria staff tried to be more culturally inclusive in their lovely mass produced food.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

Except no, that's the entire point, cultural appropriation is attempting to tie a bunch of positive and neutral poo poo to a handful of actually bad things. Like I don't know how I could be more clear, I'm not dismissing bad bahn mi as "trivial" I'm saying it's not problematic at all. The problematic part is some privileged gently caress who complains that the underfunded under trained cafeteria staff tried to be more culturally inclusive in their lovely mass produced food.

Provide an example of a positive thing, then.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Neon Genesis Evangelion?
I almost fell back in my chair when I read 'positive and negative things'. Okay, so apart from the fact that 'stupid' isn't an intellectual term, let's break it down. So a category is 'stupid' if it lumps things together that are very different. So would you say that those kinds of terms aren't useful? Because that's what other posters are saying about CA! You felt that 'no other term' is held to that standard, yet you're now declaring categories which cannot satisfy that standard as 'stupid'. Jarmak and everyone eles's entire point was that you didn't need CA to call the obvious bad cases bad/racist/negative, and that CA could (and IS) being used to group those obviously negative cases with benign or irrelevant cases - thus making CA useless/stupid.

edit: Oh, and before you complain about defining racism - there's a billion loving dictionaries out there, get the definitions from the most popular ones and pretend I posted them here. I know the trick you're trying to pull, you're trying to dodge on the subject you know you're weak on by introducing a new one. But there's a reason I chose the phrase 'popular definition', because I wasn't interested in giving you the opportunity for that derail, I was simply using it as an example of a category that is useful.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 22, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Why is that a useful thing to do? Is that useful for other terms, like 'racism', or is it possible that, since we don't have to only say the words 'cultural appropriation' and then run away, we can contextualize it so that even though the two words themselves encompass something with a broad area, any particular usage of it is specific. Similarly, when we say 'racism', we are allowed to say other words so we can specify if we mean an individually-trivial microaggression or the outright statement that a race is subhuman.

Why hold 'cultural appropriation' to a standard no other term is held to?

In the case of the current discussion, you did a poor job of contextualizing your criticism of the film The Sea of Trees. This led to a long and pointless slap-fight about what evidence can be used to gage public opinion in Japan rather than a more meaningful discussion about the marginalization of Asian-Americans, which I think was your actual criticism. Once someone has missed your point it can be hard to get them back on track.

Cultural appropriation is vague enough a concept that it often seems to encompass many benign processes, with the only difference between it and harmless acculturation being how people feel about any particular issue. This makes discussing actual problematic instances difficult because it can be hard to explain what's wrong through the lens of cultural appropriation.

Also I'd like to point out that the marginalization of Asians in Hollywood isn't cultural appropriation. I'm not convinced that The Sea of Trees is a case of "the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture," or if it is, Asian protagonists wouldn't make it less appropriative.

rudatron posted:

TBH I'm getting a sense that some posters are. Maybe not intentionally but this thread has a noxious air.

edit: basically this:

7c Nickel posted:

But the people bringing up poo poo like sushi rice as a legitimate issue are vastly vastly outnumbered by the ones using it to delegitimize the concerns of minorities as a whole.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 22, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Squalid posted:

In the case of the current discussion, you did a poor job of contextualizing your criticism of the film The Sea of Trees. This led to a long and pointless slap-fight about what evidence can be used to gage public opinion in Japan rather than a more meaningful discussion about the marginalization of Asian-Americans, which I think was your actual criticism. Once someone has missed your point it can be hard to get them back on track.

Cultural appropriation is vague enough a concept that it often seems to encompass many benign processes, with the only difference between it and harmless acculturation being how people feel about any particular issue. This makes discussing actual problematic instances difficult because it can be hard to explain what's wrong through the lens of cultural appropriation.

Also I'd like to point out that the marginalization of Asians in Hollywood isn't cultural appropriation. I'm not convinced that The Sea of Trees is a case of "the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture," or if it is, Asian protagonists wouldn't make it less appropriative.

TBH I'm getting a sense that some posters are. Maybe not intentionally but this thread has a noxious air.

edit: basically this:

I believe the legitimate concerns of minorities are trivialized by attempting to address them via a framework that lumps the native American genocide in with white girls wearing kimonos.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Even by the low standards of anime NGE sucks hard rear end.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Kurosawa's Throne of Blood was really good, despite the ethnic erasure of the original Scottish characters.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Even by the low standards of anime NGE sucks hard rear end.
Say that to my face bitchboy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

Oh, hey, finally, something we can agree on.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I believe the legitimate concerns of minorities are trivialized by attempting to address them via a framework that lumps the native American genocide in with white girls wearing kimonos.

Agreed. Looking back on my posts itt I may have contributed to that trivialization when I first started on the subject.

Effectronica posted:

Oh, hey, finally, something we can agree on.

Thirded.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NovemberMike posted:

This is interesting, because most people here seem to be using 'cultural appropriation' as a dog whistle for 'racial purity'.

I always understood cultural appropriation to refer to things like models wearing Native American headdresses as a fashion statement when the headdress is a symbol of authority and accomplishment in the native culture. It'd be similar to the Japanese deciding to print a bunch of Medal of Honors and wear them when they go drinking.

The cultural appropriation people are talking about here is much more restrictive and it's getting to the point where people are walking like racist shitheels and quacking like racist shitheels, so there might be something going on.

Cultural appropriation is absolutely a dog whistle for racial purity. At it's very base, the people who rant and rave about it REALLY hate the mixing of races and cultures.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

Sorry that you're too dumb to realize that tortured puberty metaphors, botched biblical allegories, and running out of money 2/3rds through don't make for a good series.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
My hispanic cousin married an issei Japanese and they both love racism.

Anyways, my thoughts: If the alternative is giving up sushi, anime and kung fu then :shobon: sorry, mates!

edit: To maybe have something interesting to talk about, here is some Kaczynski on racism

Industrial Society and its Future posted:

Here is an illustration of the way in which the oversocialized leftist shows his real attachment to the conventional attitudes of our society while pretending to be in rebellion against it. Many leftists push for affirmative action, for moving black people into high-prestige jobs, for improved education in black schools and more money for such schools; the way of life of the black “underclass” they regard as a social disgrace. They want to integrate the black man into the system, make him a business executive, a lawyer, a scientist just like upper-middle-class white people. The leftists will reply that the last thing they want is to make the black man into a copy of the white man; instead, they want to preserve African American culture. But in what does this preservation of African American culture consist? It can hardly consist in anything more than eating black-style food, listening to black-style music, wearing black-style clothing and going to a black-style church or mosque. In other words, it can express itself only in superficial matters. In all ESSENTIAL respects more leftists of the oversocialized type want to make the black man conform to white, middle-class ideals. They want to make him study technical subjects, become an executive or a scientist, spend his life climbing the status ladder to prove that black people are as good as white. They want to make black fathers “responsible.” they want black gangs to become nonviolent, etc. But these are exactly the values of the industrial-technological system. The system couldn't care less what kind of music a man listens to, what kind of clothes he wears or what religion he believes in as long as he studies in school, holds a respectable job, climbs the status ladder, is a “responsible” parent, is nonviolent and so forth. In effect, however much he may deny it, the oversocialized leftist wants to integrate the black man into the system and make him adopt its values.

Luxury Communism fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 22, 2015

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Who What Now posted:

While I'm positive you could find a tumblr that claims this, this isn't something that any significant amount of people in the real world have ever said or actually believe. Stop bitching.

No way, it is totally built into the ideology. Their idea of racism is really a lot like the Christian doctrine of Original Sin. The idea does sound uglier and a little more controversial when it is put in plain words or made clear via analogy and not hidden behind obfuscating jargon.

Who What Now posted:

Which is the view silence_kit seems to hold, and what I was trying to say is a stupid view to have.

If it is no big deal to declare something or someone as racist, why would social justice proponents go through the trouble of redefining the word racism to make their racially discriminatory ideologies by definition not racist? Obviously, the reason why they do that is because the accusation of something or someone being racist holds a lot of weight and they'd prefer that their ideas not be associated with that word. It's not a matter-of-fact thing to say.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad, but mostly for non-racist reasons.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

No way, it is totally built into the ideology. Their idea of racism is really a lot like the Christian doctrine of Original Sin. The idea does sound uglier and a little more controversial when it is put in plain words or made clear via analogy and not hidden behind obfuscating jargon.

If it is no big deal to declare something or someone as racist, why would social justice proponents go through the trouble of redefining the word racism to make their racially discriminatory ideologies by definition not racist? Obviously, the reason why they do that is because the accusation of something or someone being racist holds a lot of weight and they'd prefer that their ideas not be associated with that word. It's not a matter-of-fact thing to say.

Do you have anything to back any of this up besides, "I said so"?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

silence_kit posted:

Affirmative action is racism, in plainer speech. Uh huh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think there's no need to over-analyze an issue like cultural appropriation. If something makes a significant portion of a population upset, then it is bad. This is the main reason why examples of other ethnic groups appropriating various aspects of American culture isn't a problem; virtually no Americans are bothered by it. But if a significant number of, say, black musicians are upset about their music being appropriated by white rock musicians in the 50s, then it is a bad thing. Cultural appropriation is also a problem if it can be shown that people of the dominant ethnicity are somehow benefiting at the expense of a minority ethnic group.

It's the exact same litmus test that applies to things like racial slurs. If an action makes a non-insignificant number of people upset, you should stop doing that action. If you don't, you're an rear end in a top hat. No one is saying the government should step in and prevent cultural appropriation; just that if you do it and it upsets people from the culture in question, you're a bad person.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

It's the exact same litmus test that applies to things like racial slurs. If an action makes a non-insignificant number of people upset, you should stop doing that action. If you don't, you're an rear end in a top hat. No one is saying the government should step in and prevent cultural appropriation; just that if you do it and it upsets people from the culture in question, you're a bad person.

And when the insignificant number invokes the meme of "cultural appropriation", how do you respond Ytlaya?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Luxury Communism posted:

And when the insignificant number invokes the meme of "cultural appropriation", how do you respond Ytlaya?

I'd tell the rereg to go jump in a lake, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

I'd tell the rereg to go jump in a lake, personally.

:glomp:

• Locked thread