Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Ginyu force being kind of goofy was part of what made them kind of scary, Vegeta was still like "we are going to DIE they will SLAUGHTER US" while the Ginyu force is dancing around and treating it all as a big game

They're so casual about it that they're intimidating

I loved the Ginyus because they're like the perfect reps for the overall tone of DB stuff

As others have said before me since my last post, I agree that DB on the whole is pretty goofy. But to dismiss people who like the more serious parts of it (and Broly) as not 'liking dragon ball' is dumb since its whole appeal to western audiences was that it was pretty brutal compared to other cartoons out there at the time, and it was marketed as such as well.

Watching/following dragon ball from the beginning would probably give you a more goofy vibe from the show. But the Funimation dub starts with an alien killing a farmer and then stealing the main hero's son for a ransom, wherein the ensuing fight leaves the hero dead. That's some serious poo poo for a kid's cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Momomo posted:

Beerus is essentially an rear end in a top hat pet cat that knocks over your drinks. It's just how he rolls.

I refuse to believe there's a version of this show that does not have this theme.

It's not a bad theme but it's not sung by Cell himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbFoWCKvM0

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Beerus is what happens when a cat obtains godhood.

To those who own cats, think about it. Think about it. Now, thank God this isn't a documentary.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I don't know the movies have him threatening to blow up earth if they don't give him good food and threatens to kill goku if he keeps speaking to him disrespectfully. He's always been a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

He threatens but he'll also never follow through on it with the earthlings

He and Whis did kind of save the planet in the last one (albeit for good food).

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
King Kai's sounding better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think this might be my favorite page in the manga so far.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

I think this might be my favorite page in the manga so far.

Is that real? If so, that's an amazing joke.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the japanese version just has the "that's it" "we're doomed" unfortunately

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I forgot just how good the episode where Gohan just obliterates all the Cell Jrs is. Especially in the Japanese version where there's almost next to no music as he zips around being loving terrifying.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

HD DAD posted:

I forgot just how good the episode where Gohan just obliterates all the Cell Jrs is. Especially in the Japanese version where there's almost next to no music as he zips around being loving terrifying.
Word. Gohan going SS2 is definitely the highlight of the entire series for me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

the japanese version just has the "that's it" "we're doomed" unfortunately

gently caress japan

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

the culminator posted:

I like Super (inconsistencies aside) and like the silly db humor but lets not pretend most of us didnt get into DBZ cause of dudes beating the poo poo out of each other and overly dramatic speeches and screaming etc.

If super moved slightly in that direction it wouldnt really be a bad thing imo.

I feel like you guys try to overcorrect too much sometimes. Like, I feel like the only reason Broly is so reviled by some people is because they dont wanna be seen as "that kind" of dragon ball fan

I can safely say I didn't. In fact the long drawn out filler, screaming, and general length of the series made it feel boring, bland and skippable to young me. I've only enjoyed Dragon Ball as an adult now that all that craps been cut out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

Like just watch those old toonami ads for DBZ and tell me how goofy the show looks through that.

I went to sleep expecting to come back and say a lot of words but you've been summing it up so well my job is basically done here, drat. But yeah, I'm not really trying to complain, just noting when people rave about how much closer the new content is to the source I'm like "haha yeah great...". It doesn't really matter.

Twiddy posted:

Word. Gohan going SS2 is definitely the highlight of the entire series for me.

As much as I think it should have ended there most of what I actually remember sitting down and watching as a kid was the Buu saga, so I guess that's irony for ya. But what bothers me about the Buu saga, waaaaaaaaaay more than any perceived higher amount of goofiness, is falling back on Goku instead of letting Gohan and Gotenks handle it, and as young as I was at the time I just straight up wouldn't have cared about that or noticed it as a problem.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf even though it does fall back on Goku everyone plays a part in the Buu Saga and the fight with Kid Buu is literally a four on one tag team fight where everyone has to put in the work, it's great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Baal posted:

Tbf even though it does fall back on Goku everyone plays a part in the Buu Saga and the fight with Kid Buu is literally a four on one tag team fight where everyone has to put in the work, it's great.

Not to mention that everyone on Earth has to pitch in on the final attack and getting that attack to work required the work of Goku, Vegeta, Supreme Kai (?), and Hercule.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was actually referring to the Good Buu as one of the four, but the Kais did play a part, that's right.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot that Good Buu had to hold off Kid Buu as well.

The final big villain fight of Z was a team effort. Gotta give it that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's my favorite final fight, it's so loving good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Only time the spirit bomb actually goddamn worked and it wasn't Goku who summoned all that energy. And this isn't a hurr hurr Satan joke. Because seriously without Satan? They would've been screwed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Covok posted:

Is that real? If so, that's an amazing joke.

The official translators for the manga clearly had a lot of fun adding in little jokes like that, it owns. Dragonball is probably one of my favorite comic books period because the translation is so good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stairmaster posted:

gently caress japan

japan is the worst thing to happen to dbz tbqh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's true it was much better when it was about Xuanzang and Sun Wukong.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
It's either just me but I've noticed in most of the DBZ material Vegeta starts loosing in fights when his opponents turn their arms into super bendy extending whacky inflatable tube men.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Only time the spirit bomb actually goddamn worked and it wasn't Goku who summoned all that energy. And this isn't a hurr hurr Satan joke. Because seriously without Satan? They would've been screwed.

Its not like they needed the spirit bomb, they could've just summoned Gohan with the 3rd wish and he would've beat Kid Buu to a bloody pulp. Vegeta just assumed that humanity wasn't dumb, which is a bit of a stretch considering they spent the last 7 years worshipping Satan.

But Gohan would've ended that in 10 seconds, which would've been incredibly boring, so probably the right choice :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's be honest Gohan would have hosed it up and gotten absorbed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SirDrone posted:

It's either just me but I've noticed in most of the DBZ material Vegeta starts loosing in fights when his opponents turn their arms into super bendy extending whacky inflatable tube men.

Or they turn his arms into the same.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Let's be honest Gohan would have hosed it up and gotten absorbed.

To be fair, Gotenks hosed it up too by fusing again for no reason. Though they have the excuse of being literaly eight year olds on drugs, Gohan is just dumb

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was just great that they fused because the fusion timer screwed Buu so badly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Tien and Gohan should have fused, combining nearly unlimited power with the techniques needed to harness it most effectively. Imagine Buu getting killed by the biggest Shin Kikoho in the universe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, they really padded out that Buu and Gohan fight in the anime and the Buu and Vegito one

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

projecthalaxy posted:

Tien and Gohan should have fused, combining nearly unlimited power with the techniques needed to harness it most effectively. Imagine Buu getting killed by the biggest Shin Kikoho in the universe.

I don't think that's possible. You need two people with similar enough power levels to fuse.

Then again, you also need two people with similar heights and that sure as hell didn't stop Goku and Vegeta.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They used the earrings, they didn't do regular fusion till the movies, which don't give a gently caress about the rules.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think that's possible. You need two people with similar enough power levels to fuse.

Then again, you also need two people with similar heights and that sure as hell didn't stop Goku and Vegeta.

That's normal fusion. Potara fusion doesn't give a poo poo.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I think Toriyama said in an interview recently that he changed his mind and any two people can fuse with the dance despite power level, gender, or height differences

Good Toriyama

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baal posted:

Man, they really padded out that Buu and Gohan fight in the anime and the Buu and Vegito one

funfact the manga ended only two weeks after Buu vs vegito in the anime.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This episode wasn't nearly as bad as I expected based on early impressions from the thread. Jaco was fun (Princess Bulma!), some unimpressive fighting but fighting nonetheless... the Vegeta thing was a bit weird but on the other hand it's good to see someone get annoyed that Goku is screwing around instead of going SS. Plenty other episodes are much more boring than this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, with how people reacted I expected this to be episode 5 but worse, instead the animation is lacking but not terrible, and while the episode is kind of nothing plot-wise, it has some fun moments, beyond Goku going SSGSS.

There's a lot worse than this in Dragon Ball, and in Super specifically.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah. Feels like people are eager to get in the "worse than GT" crowd all of a sudden. It was badly animated sure, but it wasn't even the worst Super had to offer.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's not as good as my childhood ergo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aurora posted:

It's not as good as my childhood ergo

It's better than my childhood. :(

• Locked thread