Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dongattack posted:

1: How do i use the SRV cargo scoop? I'm parked in front of a tiny rock i shot up, slowly nudging it with my phallic being, cargo scoop deployed, but nothing is happening.
2: What does driving assist do?
3: When i'm driving like a c00l boyz cause i'm a c00l boy i constantly take damage, how to not take damage while driving like a naughty lad. help.

1. You have to be targeting what you want to scoop. It's dumb like that
2. Drive Assist is basically cruise control. You set a speed and the SRV tries to keep it
3. For the most part try to use thrusters to land softly, but that'll only reduce it, you're gonna take damage no matter how well you try. Good thing repairing by going back into your ship and out again is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dongattack posted:

1: How do i use the SRV cargo scoop? I'm parked in front of a tiny rock i shot up, slowly nudging it with my phallic being, cargo scoop deployed, but nothing is happening.
2: What does driving assist do?
3: When i'm driving like a c00l boyz cause i'm a c00l boy i constantly take damage, how to not take damage while driving like a naughty lad. help.

1: Lock onto the rock with your targeting system
2: It's cruise control, it holds your speed steady like Flight Assist in your ship.
3: Put 4 pips in engine so you have enough juice to use your vertical thruster on your way down- if your descent meter is red, you're gonna take damage.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm just curious to see how they're going to pull off forested and water covered worlds if/when they ever let us land on them, especially worlds with a population.

I just can't wrap my head around how they're going to pull off planets like Earth or Mars or other heavily populated planets (I'm willing to bet they'll just be locked with some made up lore about civilian casualties and crashing spaceships).

But an unpopulated earth like with forests is going to be interesting in an SRV, pending the growth doesn't destroy GPUs when it tries to render.

Landing in a forested area just minimizes E:D and launches Spintires.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Landing in a forested area just minimizes E:D and launches Spintires.

I would play this without hesitation.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I wasn't planning to give Frontier more money, but I came into some.

First impressions though...Did they seriously not even bother to set up default controls for the little car? That's so amazingly lazy, and very Frontier.

And why in the holy gently caress does the game run like rear end on a planet? It's literally unplayable for me. I can run pretty much any other game out there just fine, but basic terrain that's been a well-understood concept in games for decades? Nah, 5fps.

Seriously is there some known issue with nvidia cards or something?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

SRV controls are set in the default profiles but I think if you've customized your binds you'll have to set them yourself.

If you're using SLI, you may need to add elitedangerous64.exe to Elite's profile via Nvidia Inspector make sure you're using the 361.43 driver. Otherwise I dunno, I haven't had any issues with Nvidia and this game.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 21, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Enos Shenk posted:

First impressions though...Did they seriously not even bother to set up default controls for the little car? That's so amazingly lazy, and very Frontier.

And why in the holy gently caress does the game run like rear end on a planet? It's literally unplayable for me. I can run pretty much any other game out there just fine, but basic terrain that's been a well-understood concept in games for decades? Nah, 5fps.

I dunno what to tell you about the performance issues. It's like 60fps on my GTX 970 :shrug:

I need to seriously sit down and evaluate how I have my SRV controls set up. I can tell you that right now they are pretty slapdash.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Eyud posted:

SRV controls are set in the default profiles but I think if you've customized your binds you'll have to set them yourself.

If you're using SLI, you may need to add elitedangerous64.exe to Elite's profile via Nvidia Inspector. Otherwise I dunno, I haven't had any issues with Nvidia and this game.

Apparently the game ready driver they just released today (361.43) adds in support for SLI in 64-bit applications (including Elite), or somesuch. Haven't tried it yet.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Question: If i don't have the latest expansion do i still play with people who do?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Question: If i don't have the latest expansion do i still play with people who do?
Yes. You are just unable to fly on the surface/land on planets.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

I hit Chief Petty Officer, so it's FAS time :getin:

Is $27 million enough to buy one at $19 million and have enough to decently kit it out for PvE bounty blasting?

Always make large purchases in Li Yong-Rui space. 15% discount and you don't have do any PowerPlay poo poo. Ohm City in LHS 20 appears to sell the FAS.

Here's a very slapped-together example of how you could kit one: http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...ng%20for%20Beeb

In Li space this comes to about 22M to buy and fit. You can tweak whatever and be fine, and make the usual incremental upgrades. With a higher grade power plant (i.e. better heat management) you could swap the twin pulses for a single large beam or pair of C2 beams. I don't like shield boosters on the FAS because its base shield strength is really low, and 120% of low is still low. The shields recharge very quickly with bi-weave, and in the meantime you can drop chaff and armor tank. Just don't fly in front of an FdL's nose and you'll be fine.

A quirk with the FAS is that the C3 hardpoints are on the very top and bottom of the ship, which affects gimball tracking. The first large hardpoint is on the bottom of the ship and gimballed weapons can only aim so high on your screen before being blocked by the nose of your ship. The second large hardpoint has the same issue, except it's on top of your ship and can only aim so low on the screen. That means there's a limited window in which the C3's can can fire on a target simultaneously when they're gimballed. The C2 hardpoints are on the bottom of the ship, so they can fire alongside the bottom C3 no problem, but not always with the top C3. Keep that in mind when you're outfitting the C3 slots. I run a beam on the top C3 and all frags on the bottom, and when I'm going for a big frag kill shot I'll swing the target to the bottom of my screen to ensure all frags can fire.

Here's how I'm running my FAS right now, incidentally: http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...n=Boss%20Beluga

I love this loadout. A single C3 beam can shred Cobras and Vipers, and do decent enough DPS to take down Asps if I want to conserve frag ammo. With three pips it can fire almost indefinitely. The three frags are great for bursting the poo poo out of any larger target after the beam strips shields. Unloading 9 near-simultaneous point-blank frags into a Python and instagibbing its power plant is the poo poo.

When the Diamond Frogs start another war, I'll probably run a heavier build with milspec plating, but for RES'ing 1390 armor is plenty, and it gets an agility bonus because it's so far under the 6A thrusters' "optimal" mass.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Gonkish posted:

Apparently the game ready driver they just released today (361.43) adds in support for SLI in 64-bit applications (including Elite), or somesuch. Haven't tried it yet.

Ah nice, I hadn't seen a notification for that one yet. Looks like that fixes it.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012
Is the rares trade loop in the OP still accurate after Horizons? Looking to fill a Cobra up with poo poo while I watch a movie or two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kuarduck posted:

Is the rares trade loop in the OP still accurate after Horizons? Looking to fill a Cobra up with poo poo while I watch a movie or two.

It's been working okay for me so far in an Adder. About 350k profit per 24t sale, I'd estimate.

Gonna be a while before I can get a Cobra Mk3 with A rank FSD at this rate though, I get bored after one loop :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
1: Do bounties disappear on their own eventually when this 3day+ timer goes to zero? I can't figure out where to pay this stupid 500CR one i have.
2: When fuel scooping the part of the fuel that i just scooped is blue on the fuel gauge, what does that mean?

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Dongattack posted:

1: Do bounties disappear on their own eventually when this 3day+ timer goes to zero? I can't figure out where to pay this stupid 500CR one i have.
2: When fuel scooping the part of the fuel that i just scooped is blue on the fuel gauge, what does that mean?

1) no idea
2) the blue part is the fuel cost to jump to the next system en route to wherever you plotted

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

forkbucket posted:

2) the blue part is the fuel cost to jump to the next system en route to wherever you plotted

Aaaah, okay, thanks.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Shine posted:

Always make large purchases in Li Yong-Rui space. 15% discount and you don't have do any PowerPlay poo poo. Ohm City in LHS 20 appears to sell the FAS.

Here's a very slapped-together example of how you could kit one: http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...ng%20for%20Beeb

In Li space this comes to about 22M to buy and fit. You can tweak whatever and be fine, and make the usual incremental upgrades. With a higher grade power plant (i.e. better heat management) you could swap the twin pulses for a single large beam or pair of C2 beams. I don't like shield boosters on the FAS because its base shield strength is really low, and 120% of low is still low. The shields recharge very quickly with bi-weave, and in the meantime you can drop chaff and armor tank. Just don't fly in front of an FdL's nose and you'll be fine.

A quirk with the FAS is that the C3 hardpoints are on the very top and bottom of the ship, which affects gimball tracking. The first large hardpoint is on the bottom of the ship and gimballed weapons can only aim so high on your screen before being blocked by the nose of your ship. The second large hardpoint has the same issue, except it's on top of your ship and can only aim so low on the screen. That means there's a limited window in which the C3's can can fire on a target simultaneously when they're gimballed. The C2 hardpoints are on the bottom of the ship, so they can fire alongside the bottom C3 no problem, but not always with the top C3. Keep that in mind when you're outfitting the C3 slots. I run a beam on the top C3 and all frags on the bottom, and when I'm going for a big frag kill shot I'll swing the target to the bottom of my screen to ensure all frags can fire.

Here's how I'm running my FAS right now, incidentally: http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...n=Boss%20Beluga

I love this loadout. A single C3 beam can shred Cobras and Vipers, and do decent enough DPS to take down Asps if I want to conserve frag ammo. With three pips it can fire almost indefinitely. The three frags are great for bursting the poo poo out of any larger target after the beam strips shields. Unloading 9 near-simultaneous point-blank frags into a Python and instagibbing its power plant is the poo poo.

When the Diamond Frogs start another war, I'll probably run a heavier build with milspec plating, but for RES'ing 1390 armor is plenty, and it gets an agility bonus because it's so far under the 6A thrusters' "optimal" mass.

Good stuff, thanks :) Is there a way I can figure out where the nearest Li Yong-Rui space is from Xihe?

Edit:

Punched in LHS 20 into the galaxy map, only four hops away in my Type-6, hot dog

Beeb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 21, 2015

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Capn Beeb posted:

Good stuff, thanks :) Is there a way I can figure out where the nearest Li Yong-Rui space is from Xihe?

According to EDDB Ohm city station in LHS 20 is your closest yong mart that sells the FAS. It's 72ish LY from Xihe.

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Capn Beeb posted:

Punched in LHS 20 into the galaxy map, only four hops away in my Type-6, hot dog

Could you check for me if it stocks the DBE? The website says it does, but the data is old.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

forkbucket posted:

According to EDDB Ohm city station in LHS 20 is your closest yong mart that sells the FAS. It's 72ish LY from Xihe.
I'd take anything on eddb.io and ed-td.space with a grain of salt at the moment (unless the data shows as being from the 16th onwards) as most stuff doesn't appear to have been updated post Horizons launch and quite a lot changed in the actual stations. It'll take a while for people to get ROSS (the database both sites hook into) up to date again.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Well at least I fixed the terrible planet performance. Changing the planet settings while in game didn't save because :frontier: but it did save once I set it at the main menu.

I can't really tell a difference anyway, I'd love to know what the gently caress their engine is doing. I wouldn't be even slightly suprised if it was doing something retarded like trying to render the entire planet at once from the surface.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shine posted:

FAS

...22m for a Fit

*record scratch* Okay that's a lot cheaper than I thought, I was planning on saving up 50m or so before buying one. Time to get my Fed rank up..

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm running a 980 and have had zero issues with planet surface gaming. Knock on wood, of course. If anything, my CPU might be my bottleneck now since it's getting up there in age. i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz

e:

Arrath posted:

*record scratch* Okay that's a lot cheaper than I thought, I was planning on saving up 50m or so before buying one. Time to get my Fed rank up..

I've been debating one for awhile now and seeing as I've only got about 22% more to go for rank 5 fed (Chief Petty Officer, FAS requirement) I'm almost ready to go start the grind.

Is the FAS that much better than it's higher rank req gunship brother though?

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 22, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dongattack posted:

You can't pay off bounties. You can only pay fines (which become bounties if you ignore them for too long).

The only way to lose a bounty without waiting it out is to have someone claim it, i.e. shoot you in the face until you die. If you want to go that route, then buy a Sidewinder and let somebody in IRC KWS scan and kill you.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I've been playing with the eagle for a while now and am looking to get into something new, is the imperial eagle the same as eagle with the way it flys (i like thrusters), and would I be able to build it the same like I did with my eagle? I used one of the eagle fits from OP

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

This sometimes gets lost when people are talking about min-maxing everything, but it's good to remember that you can capably outfit any ship in the game for a fraction of its base cost, including Anacondas and such. While it's nice to A-class everything and slap on milspec armor for 5 times the cost of a ship, there's nothing wrong with getting D and C-class stuff and upgrading as you go. Whenever I see somebody say "you need 15M to outfit a Vulture" I want to smack them in their stupid head.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Foehammer007 posted:

I've been playing with the eagle for a while now and am looking to get into something new, is the imperial eagle the same as eagle with the way it flys (i like thrusters), and would I be able to build it the same like I did with my eagle? I used one of the eagle fits from OP

The Iggle would work nicely, absolutely. You could also check out the Viper's available for a bit more cost, as they will give you a little more firepower at the cost of some of that speed/maneuverability (not a whole lot, though).

Shine posted:

This sometimes gets lost when people are talking about min-maxing everything, but it's good to remember that you can capably outfit any ship in the game for a fraction of its base cost, including Anacondas and such. While it's nice to A-class everything and slap on milspec armor for 5 times the cost of a ship, there's nothing wrong with getting D and C-class stuff and upgrading as you go. Whenever I see somebody say "you need 15M to outfit a Vulture" I want to smack them in their stupid head.

It's 16 million credits, doofus. 16 mil gets you a nicely kitted Vulture.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Foehammer007 posted:

The Imperial Eagle isn't quite as agile, but it's better armed and much faster. You'll probably like it. The Viper's also a good next step. It's also not as nimble as an Eagle, but it'll still fly circles around Cobras and Asps and such, and it has good armament for a small, pretty cheap fighter.

A good ship to aim for after that is the Vulture, which has excellent agility and fantastic directional thrusters, and large guns that can take on anything in the game. In Li Yong-Rui space, you purchase and outfit a basic Vulture for about 5.5M. From there on the combat money will just keep flowing in, as the Vulture can handily take on big-money RES targets like FdL's and Pythons.

Shine fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 22, 2015

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Edit:

I just bought a FAS from 109 Piscium earlier today. They stock surprisingly much for a non-high-tech economy, no class A FSD though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK Frontier I love you guys, I really do. But gently caress, you could really invest some more planning time in your CGs.

1. The rare-goods CG looks like it will fail without even reaching tier 1, which is just sad. 2 1/2 days to go still and we're about half-way to tier 1 (of 8).
2. The other trading CG has apparently sucked the evacuation shelters out of every nearby star system and we're just over tier 1 (of 5). At least we have still 2+ weeks for this one.

Now excuse me, I have to file another bug report because of the multiple display errors in the exploration-section.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I took a trade python over to Hel planning to do some work on that snowball one. Travelled all the way up to Snow Moon in Bento to do a pickup.

There were 12 tons of snowballs there. For around 200 ly hauling distance. :effort: indeed. Should have made sure the rare goods circulation could handle a CG!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

I took a trade python over to Hel planning to do some work on that snowball one. Travelled all the way up to Snow Moon in Bento to do a pickup.

There were 12 tons of snowballs there. For around 200 ly hauling distance. :effort: indeed. Should have made sure the rare goods circulation could handle a CG!

I was smarter, since I actually foresaw this and made my runs with my Explorer-Asp. That ship is so highly specialized for exploration it only has 32 tons of cargo space. Was still far too much of course, but at least it makes the travel time short.

But really, this CG is basically dead on arrival. I'm planning to make some more rare runs on Wednesday to push myself up the ladder a bit and that's it. Now I'm trying to do some runs for the normal trading CG, simply because landing on a planet with my whale of a ship (Clipper) is enough fun to offset the grinding of flying back and forth.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm having trouble binding my driving keys, the game doesn't seem to like me using my joystick for it, is there a preferred way to set these controls up? And why aren't they bound by default?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

4 loads got me in the top 30% bracket but it isn't even close to even tier 1 so I said gently caress it.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey cool they added /played.

:psyduck: Oh god what have I done with my life. :psyduck:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arach posted:

Oh hey cool they added /played.

:psyduck: Oh god what have I done with my life. :psyduck:

Fuuuuuck :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm not entirely convinced that number is even correct, so I included this section in my bug report about display bugs:

What is wrong and what is right?

Let's wait and see what Frontier has to say!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just figured out you can edit the XML to get a higher FoV, i like it at 80, but the font in menus is a bit jagged and fucky. Is that just something i will have to accept or do i need to find some magical decimal value to get everything to align?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
So I'm trying to find a good system to call home.
Preferably one that has Fed, Empire, Alliance and Anarchy systems close by. A high tech system for ships and outfittings would be good too.
It should have a cool name and cool system faction names too, lol.
I'd rather not call system CD-43X-$#N536GKS my home and be allied with/fight for the CD-43X-$#N536GKS Labour Party, if ya know what I mean.

So where do you guys call home?

• Locked thread