Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.
Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FieJToFKc

EDIT: Woops see I'm way late on this one.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

LUkes lightsaber looks really uncomfortable to hold. THose black wedges would just jam right into your palm..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not that this matters in the least and it's extremely :spergin: , but a lot of people have mentioned it so:

I didn't think the blaster bolt that Kylo Ren froze was a regular blaster shot. It was blue and it exploded on impact. I thought it was some kind of...explosive shot, more akin to an actual gunshot or explosive round (is that a thing?) than a regular blaster bolt. I don't know if that makes the feat slightly less impressive (freezing a physical object rather than a laser blast) or not. Like I said, :spergin:

While I was watching I really thought Kylo was going to pull Poe in front of his own bolt and then let it continue on it's path through the sucker. The ultimate "quit hitting yourself"

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

net cafe scandal posted:

LUkes lightsaber looks really uncomfortable to hold. THose black wedges would just jam right into your palm..

Hence the need for a cyborg hand. Vader was just trying to help.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Movie was fantastic, fully back on board with Star Wars.

5>4>7>6>>>3>1>>>2

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

net cafe scandal posted:

It's less the black things than the boxy protrusion on the side. There's just no way to wrap your fingers around it comfortably.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I don't know about impossible, it just reminds me of what JJ did with transporters.

I was thinking there was something in one of the earlier film novelizations saying that it couldn't be done, but if there was, it's no longer valid because the movies win in any movie-vs-novelization canon debate. So now we should see everyone doing this at all times to escape sticky situations on planet surfaces.

I was just goofing but the point of Interdictor class cruisers (which appeared in Rebels so still exist) is to block FTL jumps by projecting a weak gravity well.

I assume you could hand wave it as a safety feature of hyperspace drives that Han removed or "who gives a poo poo" since space magic is real

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Vishass posted:

I assume you could hand wave it as a safety feature of hyperspace drives that Han removed or "who gives a poo poo" since space magic is real

This isnt a handwave at all, its a stated feature of hyperdrives (in the EU) which is why the concept works. Its not like naturally going past a gravity well is going to drop you out, because the whole point of it is that you can accidentally paste yourself at lightspeed going into a mass like that.

im sure hans illegally modified freighter can do poo poo like 'ignore proximity warnings' and 'manually override lightspeed procedures'.

They did bypass the compressor of course.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hyperspace travel only exists in Star Wars to allow writers to move characters from one location in the story to another location in a cool sci-fi way. There's no actual science behind it. Please don't be the kind of Star Wars fan to use information on Wookiepedia to source reasons for why making the jump to lightspeed and dropping out of hyperspace inside a shield wouldn't work and I wont be the kind of Star Wars fan who tells you to shut the gently caress up about it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Please don't be the kind of Star Wars fan to use information on Wookiepedia to source reasons for why making the jump to lightspeed and dropping out of hyperspace inside a shield wouldn't work and I wont be the kind of Star Wars fan who tells you to shut the gently caress up about it.

I remember being that guy back in high school. I got halfway through a technical manual of the Enterprise-D, reading about deuterium intermix chambers and antimatter injectors, and had a "What the gently caress am I even doing?!?" epiphany and never looked back. That's not a fun guy to be. Don't be that guy.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

teagone posted:

Interesting tidbit for those of you who watched the Clone Wars animated series. From The Force Awakens visual dictionary, the planet that the Starkiller base was built into was actually Illum. RIP lightsaber crystals.

This isn't spelled out explicitly, just stated that they used a world known for energy-transmitting crystal deposits. So it's certainly possible, but not straight-up stated. Would certainly suck for building new lightsabers!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Hyperspace travel only exists in Star Wars to allow writers to move characters from one location in the story to another location in a cool sci-fi way. There's no actual science behind it. Please don't be the kind of Star Wars fan to use information on Wookiepedia to source reasons for why making the jump to lightspeed and dropping out of hyperspace inside a shield wouldn't work and I wont be the kind of Star Wars fan who tells you to shut the gently caress up about it.

Who's talking about Wookiepedia? And what about all the posts in this thread and the other one discussing the *science* of the starkiller base death-ray? Do those people have to shut the gently caress up, too?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

It's not that all those nerdy words were hard to understand. It's that it was boring as gently caress and poorly written.

No it wasn't.

Your move.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Ok, so who's helmet is this: http://i.imgur.com/GHRFHNR.png

Link is a spoiler.

edit:

Nevermind! Someone solved this already: http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg (Link is a spoiler).

Rey's chilhood :unsmith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LegionAreI posted:

This isn't spelled out explicitly, just stated that they used a world known for energy-transmitting crystal deposits. So it's certainly possible, but not straight-up stated. Would certainly suck for building new lightsabers!

Someone overlaid the old canon map with the latest one that includes Episode VII locales and the location of the Starkiller Base lines up perfect with the location of Ilum. You're right it's not stated explicitly, but the maps line up quite nicely. Not to mention the climate/geography of the Starkiller base pretty much describes Ilum. *SPOILER See the overlaid maps here: http://imgur.com/NajYjwX

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 22, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MrMojok posted:

Who's talking about Wookiepedia? And what about all the posts in this thread and the other one discussing the *science* of the starkiller base death-ray? Do those people have to shut the gently caress up, too?

As someone who complained about Starkiller's logic, yes we should. :commissar:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Link is a spoiler.

edit:

Nevermind! Someone solved this already: http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg (Link is a spoiler).

I noticed that doll the second time around. This is really cool. Anyone know what book this is from?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zelah posted:

I noticed that doll the second time around. This is really cool. Anyone know what book this is from?

I think it's from this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0794435696/

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Ah yes, Wookieepedia is how you can tell the plot event is stupid.

I was more pointing out that it's stupid to gripe about it because it's something that only exists in the EU. Wookiepedia is ridiculous but also maintained by people far more dedicated to random dumb poo poo than I am

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zodack posted:

I was more pointing out that it's stupid to gripe about it because it's something that only exists in the EU. Wookiepedia is ridiculous but also maintained by people far more dedicated to random dumb poo poo than I am

I think that you and I agree on this.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I thought rey was a bit of a Mary Sue but maybe that's the intent.

Mostly good movie with some strange characteristic choices.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crow_Robot posted:

In regards to the politics thing, in and of itself, it's not bad. If you take the prequels apart piece by piece the only really bad 'things' are the writing for Anakin, Lucas' directing performance, the CGI, and Hayden's performance.

The ideas presented in the prequels are so loving cool but they were all executed so goddamn poorly.

There's nothing to lift those movies up above mediocre, and as a result, it just makes everything in them feel 'lovely', even if the ideas were good.

You forgot midichlorians, which are actually a part of the PT that needs to be completely eliminated from canon because it's just that lovely. Everything else was a decent idea poorly executed, but midichlorians are just an abomination. It took The Force from something unique and mystical and reduced it to something quantifiable and joyless.

Also, Yoda training literally all the Jedi when they were little kids... that's not okay at all. Yoda is wise and awesome, not some elementary school teacher.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

PT6A posted:

Also, Yoda training literally all the Jedi when they were little kids... that's not okay at all. Yoda is wise and awesome, not some elementary school teacher.

I always thought it was more along the lines of " Okay kids, its Thursday, time for Master Yoda's lightsaber class"
He obviously isnt at the temple all the time and has poo poo to do, so he probably runs a special class once in a while for a few hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I thought rey was a bit of a Mary Sue but maybe that's the intent.

Mostly good movie with some strange characteristic choices.

I really am kind of confused why people are pulling the Mary Sue card for Rey of all people considering literally the rest of the cast of Star Wars.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
She was immediately awesome at everything she did, and when she wasn't around everyone was talking about her. That is Mary Sue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

She was immediately awesome at everything she did, and when she wasn't around everyone was talking about her. That is Mary Sue.

Most of her skillset has to do with spending literally most of her life scavanging for parts on a lovely planet. The things that don't (i.e: piloting and using the force) are also things that every other novice Jedi we've seen has also shown natural talent for. Luke is a super-ace pilot despite never doing anything more complex than flying lovely bush fighters and Anakin "Spinning is a Good Trick" Skywalker wins an intense race using his own home-build shitpile followed shortly thereafter by blowing up a space station at the age of 9.

"When she wasn't around people were talking about her" is an odd comment because the only time she isn't around is when she's kidnapped and at that point nobody really focuses on her but Finn.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Link is a spoiler.

edit:

Heh, I think the Tierfon Yellow Aces were Porkins' old squadron in the EU.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Shouldn't there be a general moratorium on using anything from the prequels as evidence or story-justification? Ya something happened in the PT hey the PT is loving reviled if you saw it over the age of 12

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

You forgot midichlorians, which are actually a part of the PT that needs to be completely eliminated from canon because it's just that lovely. Everything else was a decent idea poorly executed, but midichlorians are just an abomination. It took The Force from something unique and mystical and reduced it to something quantifiable and joyless.

Lol okay.

Ammanas posted:

Shouldn't there be a general moratorium on using anything from the prequels as evidence or story-justification? Ya something happened in the PT hey the PT is loving reviled if you saw it over the age of 12

Lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PT6A posted:

The important part about Midichlorians isn't that they existed. It's that the Jedi Order believed they existed. Similarly, how do you think Yoda became wise if not by making mistakes such as brainwashing children and starting the Clone War?

The secret to the prequels, and it's not much of a secret but apparently some people still need it told, is that the Jedi Order were the villains.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

You're applying that term pretty hamhandedly. Finn's the only reason she gets talked about during her absence, and that's entirely natural.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
It was pretty great to see Ford have fun and give a poo poo. I honestly felt like I was watching 1980's Harrison Ford in old man makeup.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i remember when rey killed kylo ren with her blaster pistol the first time they met, was insane how did she get to be so good with a blaster pistol. way too op op

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

To be fair this is just how internet discussion shakes out. You have tons of different viewpoints flying around, debating each other simultaneously, so with any large, popular franchise you'll be bombarded with the voices of dozens of different people with disparate desires.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

1) Most people love this movie

2) I feel like quite a few of the naysayers actually have been people who defend the prequel

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Timeless Appeal posted:

1) Most people love this movie

2) I feel like quite a few of the naysayers actually have been people who defend the prequel

3) People can have opinions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

3) People can have opinions

That's not true. That's impossible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Heh, I think the Tierfon Yellow Aces were Porkins' old squadron in the EU.

Also Wes Janson's!

Phylodox posted:

I think the really brutal kills you're talking about were reserved exclusively for the bowcaster. They really sold it as a badass weapon. Did we ever get to see Chewie fire it in the originals?

He fires it a few times in Jedi. He takes out a Scout Trooper trying to get away on a Speeder Bike, and the blast makes him flip over. So I guess it's always been pretty powerful!

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 22, 2015

• Locked thread