Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Stoca Zola posted:

It looks like some kind of ramshorn to me. They do hold their shells at different angles depending on how big/heavy it is, my biggest ones let their shells go perpendicular while the smaller ones can angle the shell depending on where they are trying to post themselves. Plus the thin eyestalks and rounded foot also look typical of a ramshorn.

I'd say don't get live bearers unless you have a plan in place for the fry or for separating the females once you have "enough" fry. Gourami might eat guppy fry but I'm not sure how big platy fry are and you can't rely on other fish to do your dirty work anyway. You might get lazy fish who can't be bothered chasing down fry to snack on and then the population explosion is on. Probably not such a big deal if you have time to net out your extra fish and can readily give them away etc.

What are you looking for in a fish? If you want motion maybe cherry barbs would work, or for colour, just male wild type guppies are pretty hardy. Even fancy guppies aren't that fragile as long as they don't have to contend with fin nippers or big predatory fish.

Some combination of color and movement would be great. I'd like an all male guppy tank, but I've read mixed reviews about them being aggressive and harmful to one another. Do you have any problems with your fraternity tank? I really love long finned varieties of fish, but that's often kinda counter to the want for hardy fish. I'm in love with the gourami idea, so I don't want anything aggressive that might clash. Also, I have really high ph, so I don't want to get anything that couldn't do well in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hi. I'm looking for a submersible water heater. The ones I can find are targeted at aquarium users; they're all limited to 32C or so, despite having suitable power ranges. I need 70C or greater, or a simple power setting rather than one controlled by a thermostat [that can't be set high enough].

Have you found an aquarium heater than can be set to a high temperature, or doesn't use a themostat?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 15, 2015

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

In my smallest male only tank I've got maybe 8 or 9 brothers/cousins with 5 fry and 3 shrimp. I've seen them display to each other, which really just consists of going momentarily bendy and waving their fins around all "check me out bro" and its the same move they do to impress the females.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVerxD4qwqY he does it around 5 seconds into the vid.

One of the males in there didn't get his colouring as fast as the others and for a while they were bumping him and showing off to him as if he was a female (wishful thinking, I guess). Without females around to compete for they seem pretty chillaxed with each other. It's a lot worse when there are females in the mix and in my unseparated tank its the female guppy who wears the brunt of the attention as the males nudge at her and harass her and try to get in her face so she can see how sexy they are, etc. They do more display dance fights with each other, and a little more intensely when there are females around, but I really don't see them doing much harm to each other. Perhaps its different when there are longer fins involved, but some of mine have a veil-like dorsal fin and there are two with long tails, and I've yet to see them take damage. They don't really nip at each other as far as I can see, they turn their mouths away and go side on for maximum effect and do that one move.

The worst aggression I've seen has probably been a heavily pregnant female fighting for the best spot by the heater, headbutting away the other females. I've seen no real aggression from the males, just horny fish behaviour trying to find a willing female. Could be that I've been lucky, could be that these fish were wild caught from a feral population - apparently a ditch on the side of the road where predatory fish were also found - so perhaps aggression was not a beneficial trait for them to have in that environment. No idea.

Dominoes it sounds like what you're looking for would be more like a kettle element than a water heater. Aquarium heaters generally are not meant to kill the fish, which 70 would do, and often can't or won't go that high. My hot water urn at work for making tea has a knob that you can turn to get anything from 110 to something lower than 80, so that sort of thing does exist. Something like a slow cooker can maintain that kind of temperature too. Hell, I'm sure I've read a heap of DIY sous vide cooking instructables so there is definitely info out there for hitting that kind of temperature. What do you want it for? I can't think of anything except sous vide or other cooking I guess.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you. I'm testing a solar still/atmospheric water generator during a dark winter; can test some aspects using pre-heated water. The aquarium units seem ideal, other than the temp limit, because I could drop one in the existing setup's tank.

The link you posted's great; might need to wire a small element like that up to some custom/separate electronics.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dominoes, sounds like what you need is a titanium heating element with a separate controller. Something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015NV5BE?keywords=ranco%20heater%20controller&qid=1450214223&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TMK5ZW?keywords=titanium%20heater&qid=1450214292&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright the goldfish have been collected from the pond and the 55 gallon and are installed in their new home, the old 40 gallon breeder that is now in our room.

I got the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and ran it through its demo mode. This thing is awesome.what a great light. The tank really pops now.

Edit: and I couldn't help myself I added 8 black neon tetras and 10 Ember tetras. I also shoved 4 mystery snails,in the goldfish tank.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 16, 2015

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright the goldfish have been collected from the pond and the 55 gallon and are installed in their new home, the old 40 gallon breeder that is now in our room.

I got the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and ran it through its demo mode. This thing is awesome.what a great light. The tank really pops now.

Edit: and I couldn't help myself I added 8 black neon tetras and 10 Ember tetras. I also shoved 4 mystery snails,in the goldfish tank.

Pics, please? I love goldfish.

Stoca Zola posted:

Horny guppy dudes
I'm really digging the idea of an all male tank, then. Thanks! Guppies and a pair of blue or flame dwarf gourami sounds perfect! I can't wait till after Christmas!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Good luck Pistoph I hope you don't get any rear end in a top hat guppies (or rear end in a top hat gourami either).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pistoph posted:

Here are some big dumb goldfish

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Pistoph posted:

I'm really digging the idea of an all male tank, then. Thanks! Guppies and a pair of blue or flame dwarf gourami sounds perfect! I can't wait till after Christmas!

As much as I enjoy having guppies, the behavior of the males is pretty uninteresting and can get annoying. Based on what I've seen, an all male tank would be a never ending extended chase/fuckfest. Add a larger, potentially grumpy fish to the mix and it could end badly. A lone paradise fish might not be a bad option, but that's already similar to the betta you had in there before. A group of sparkling gourami could work, but they're pretty shy and you seem to be after something flamboyant. Killifish could be an interesting option, but you'd have to do your research.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DF makes some good points, I guess it really comes down to a balance between what you expect from your tank vs what are you capable of keeping alive. I'm pretty fond of my one track mind guppies as they do contrast with the constant food oriented roaming and munching of the rosy barbs and zebra danios. And both contrast with the penguin tetras who vary between timid hiding and territorial squabbles depending on the ambient light level. The cories are a lot more interesting now that there are more of them, and while my shrimp don't do much they are still interesting to watch. (Not all of these are in the same tank obviously)

You ever thought about keeping dwarf crays or macrobrachium shrimp, instead of fish? Ooh wait, you said color and movement not hiding and no movement. What about those genetically colored danios, although maybe 20g is a bit small since danios can be a bit zoomy. Hard water cichlids are colorful and interesting aren't they? Or do they mostly grow big? I don't know much about cichlids at all but some dwarf cichlids might work too.

If I had room I would like a tank for something different, like a yabby or a fish that digs up the plants where every day is an adventure checking the tank to see what rearrangements or demolitions had been done. I don't mind not having that with my current fish that are all pretty much the same from day to day, which makes it a bit easier to judge when something is wrong.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Given my tank's ballooning population of fry, I can see the appeal of a tank without breeding capacity.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Anyone know of any hd underwater webcams?

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Dogwood Fleet posted:

As much as I enjoy having guppies, the behavior of the males is pretty uninteresting and can get annoying. Based on what I've seen, an all male tank would be a never ending extended chase/fuckfest. Add a larger, potentially grumpy fish to the mix and it could end badly. A lone paradise fish might not be a bad option, but that's already similar to the betta you had in there before. A group of sparkling gourami could work, but they're pretty shy and you seem to be after something flamboyant. Killifish could be an interesting option, but you'd have to do your research.

Oh, most of what I've read about gourami (especially the dwarf kinds) suggest that they're pretty easy going and even more so when kept in a pair. Most sites that address the topic say that they'll get along swimmingly (excuse the pun). Some say that the males are more likely to be territorial and aggressive than females, so maybe I could get a female pair of gouramis with the guppies? Will two gouramis of different coloration swim together or should I stick with just one type?

As far as behavior goes, I'm more similar to Stoca where I'm ok with them doing the same stuff all the time. It is definitely helpful for spotting illnesses. Mostly I'm just tired of looking at what appears to be an empty tank because my betta hides all the time.

I'm really worried about him, guys. He will not come up to eat. Maybe I should put him in the tiny hospital tank where it's too shallow for him to ignore the fact I'm trying to feed him?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pretty fishies
Yay! So cute! I'd love a goldfish, but I've already got all these plants in the tank.

Pistoph fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 17, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pistoph posted:

Oh, most of what I've read about gourami (especially the dwarf kinds) suggest that they're pretty easy going and even more so when kept in a pair. Most sites that address the topic say that they'll get along swimmingly (excuse the pun). Some say that the males are more likely to be territorial and aggressive than females, so maybe I could get a female pair of gouramis with the guppies? Will two gouramis of different coloration swim together or should I stick with just one type?

As far as behavior goes, I'm more similar to Stoca where I'm ok with them doing the same stuff all the time. It is definitely helpful for spotting illnesses. Mostly I'm just tired of looking at what appears to be an empty tank because my betta hides all the time.

I'm really worried about him, guys. He will not come up to eat. Maybe I should put him in the tiny hospital tank where it's too shallow for him to ignore the fact I'm trying to feed him?

Dwarf gourami are little jerks a lot of the time, actually. Most of what you'll find for sale are males and like all labyrinth fish males tend to hate other males. Or males of other species. Or things they think look kinda like males if they squint real hard. Long and short is don't count on them getting along with each other at all.

If you've got a sizable tank with some good hiding spots and sight breaks they can be kept together, but I'd recommend just going with one.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
is it just me or do some bettas just look like aliens.

edit: I think I'm gonna start feeding mine guppy babies, or be over run by guppies

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So my little ember tetras keep just hanging around the heater. Maybe I should get a bigger one to make the rest of the tank warmer.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My fish aren't dying any more!!! :) And the brown algae seems to be way more under control somehow. Thank goodness.

Holiday question: How long can my fish go without being fed? I'm not sure if I know anyone who can come over to drop some food in, and I might be gone 4 days or so...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ShaneB posted:

My fish aren't dying any more!!! :) And the brown algae seems to be way more under control somehow. Thank goodness.

Holiday question: How long can my fish go without being fed? I'm not sure if I know anyone who can come over to drop some food in, and I might be gone 4 days or so...
You could get an automatic feeder - Eheim sells a good one. Or depending on the species of fish, toss a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank before you leave.

But ultimately, as a one time thing, 4 days won't kill them one way or another.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Slugworth posted:

You could get an automatic feeder - Eheim sells a good one. Or depending on the species of fish, toss a bunch of ghost shrimp in the tank before you leave.

But ultimately, as a one time thing, 4 days won't kill them one way or another.

Or one of those weekender slow dissolve pyramid/brick things. That'll cover them till one gets back if only 4 days.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They also sell gel encapsulated week feeders. I use thosr when i go on holiday.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I tried one of the automatic feeders from Eheim.. won't use it again. I don't think it really worked and when I came back a couple of days later there were bugs trying to feed on it. When I leave town I now ask our cat sitter to feed them for me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

demonR6 posted:

I tried one of the automatic feeders from Eheim.. won't use it again. I don't think it really worked and when I came back a couple of days later there were bugs trying to feed on it. When I leave town I now ask our cat sitter to feed them for me.

Yeah the cat goes with me but the fish really can't... :)

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

They also sell gel encapsulated week feeders. I use thosr when i go on holiday.

I got a couple of these a few weeks back for when I go away on holiday, do they really work as described? It seemed pretty good on paper.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
My aunt is keeping a kissing gourami in a 1 gallon tank. :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ive been using them in my tanks on my xmas breaks for the last few years and I would not attribute any problems to them.

Also lmao your aunt. Have you shown her how big they get?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Also lmao your aunt. Have you shown her how big they get?

Yes, although they said it's ten years old and it looked at least 4 inches. Poor thing. I tried my best to both be tactful while also stressing it either needs to be in a bigger tank or given to a store but doubtful that will happen.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my little ember tetras keep just hanging around the heater. Maybe I should get a bigger one to make the rest of the tank warmer.

I initially read this as you were planning on getting a bigger ember [tetra] to warm up the tank. :kimchi: I enjoyed the pun.

Coolwhoami posted:

My aunt is keeping a kissing gourami in a 1 gallon tank. :stare:

Gosh, that's super sad. My soon-to-be MiL has 3 tanks and 2 ponds. In the 10g tank, she has a halfmoon betta with 3 red eye tetra. In her 75g, she has 5 comet golfish and a ryukin. Not so super awful, till you see that it only has a 30g filter. :( In the 65g, she has a halfmoon betta, 2 blue dwarf gourami, 3 dalmation mollies, 3 black skirt tetra and no plants or decorations to break sightlines or otherwise distinguish territory.
The thing that pisses me off most is that all of her fish seem perfectly healthy and not fighting or anything, while I'm trying to do everything right and my fish seems really unhealthy. :eng99:

Thanks for all your feedback, everybody. I'll probably get like 5 or so guppies when I get back from the holidays. After I see how their personalities even out, I'll consider if I still want to get a gourami. I'll keep an eye out at the LFS to see if I get lucky with a female, but otherwise, I'll just be wise to their return policy so if the combo doesn't work I can return the gourami.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Popped into LFS today just to see what they had and found a tank with nine CPDs. My boyfriend haggled the guy down to $30 for all nine which is awesome. They're really vibrantly colored even though they're stressed from being bought and haven't even been acclimated yet. Going to give these a shot and try to make sure they have everything they need, but if they die then I'm never trying to keep CPDs again. I still seem to have most of the ones I bought last time, minus the one that died of dropsy.

republicant fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 21, 2015

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Desert Bus posted:

Holy wow, you people have been through some poo poo while I wasn't paying attention again, but I'm finally all caught up. Since my last update forever ago I lost my Festivum. It just really really wanted to gently caress my F Opaline Gourami and she was not into it. My Green Myrio and Red Cobamba are still growing like crazy, and my Madagascar Lace went from "pretty sure this is dead" to "this is HUGE and flowering a second time in a row? Neat!" I finally gave my M/F Kribensis caves to encourage them to make babies, nothing yet, but it's only been a couple of days.

Anyway, do I get a M BN Pleco to try and breed with my albino F, a 3rd pretty Pleco, or a random non-Doradid catfish that stays under 4-5"?

Fusillade, a long time ago you asked how big my current Striped Raphael Catfish is, and Tank is right around 4." The one I had before him that I gave up is now 8-9" in a friend's tank.

Yessssssssssssss. I love striped raphaels. Still have my big fattie, he's been poaching the jaguar's (yet another batch of) babies. And I am glad to see that things are turning around in this thread, things were mighty bleak for a while. Saw someone ask about UV killing protozoa -- it can, but it has to have a long dwell time with a high wattage, and will only kill the things in your water column! The recommended UV doses vary depending on what you are trying to kill, generally algaicidal doses will also kill bacteria. Protozoa and external parasites are tougher (provided that they are in their free-swimming state). It is not a catch-all for killing ich, though, since it can fall down into the substrate and hang out for a while. Over time, yes, UV is fantastic as a tool for reducing the burden of undesirable microbes in water, but it should not be depended upon as a sole source of treatment for an acute ich infestation. Here's a page with a bit more info about the dosing: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2148&aid=2855

Things are pretty dull in my tanks (but on the bright side, this continues the streak of non-horror stories!), the kelberis are growing a bit larger, and the biggest tank still has the same eight fish as forever ago. No new projects planned for myself this up coming year, but I'd love to hear what others have got planned. :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fusillade posted:

Yessssssssssssss. I love striped raphaels. Still have my big fattie, he's been poaching the jaguar's (yet another batch of) babies.

Hmmm, are raphaels known for eating fry? I put a 5" or so one in with my frontosa that have finally started raising fry, and I'd hate for him to munch them.

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
... is the garbage disposal humane like a car crash would be?

edit: I wonder what they do with the 20+ bettas that disappear from shelves at petco one day... I'm going to ask.

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 22, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dumpieXL posted:

... is the garbage disposal humane like a car crash would be?

edit: I wonder what they do with the 20+ bettas that disappear from shelves at petco one day... I'm going to ask.

There was an article about this on Cracked yesterday. Spoiler: it's not pretty.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Yeah, their inferior siphoning technique is pretty ugly. :v:

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
I bought a betta and he was aggressive toward my adopted corys, so I bought another one and he wasn't so I let the bettas fight it out because I didn't have room for another and the non-aggressive one won so ... :ohdear:

-bzzt-

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
He only got his lip slightly hurt and now he doesn't attack his reflection either... He's all grown up now. :cry:

dumpieXL fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 23, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I just got a new faucet pump for christmas from my wife. Holy crap game changer. Was able to do a 50% water change on both the 55 and 40 gallon while cleaning the gravel in less than 30 minutes and was able to water my plants at the same time.

Way better than buckets.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

It's also a bunch of BS. I worked in a pet store too as poo poo as the managers were, anyone doing even one thing from that list would be fired.

And it's a pet store. Not a real aquarium.

Petco might be cleaning those 20+ betta cups. When I worked for Petsmart it was easier to stack them on a cart and wheel back behind the scenes to dump and fill them quickly.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

This Christmas I have had seven panda cories swimming happily together and seven penguin tetras roaming the tank in a school instead of hiding in the eelgrass. Two of the new shrimp are berried and one of my old berried shrimp hatched her eggs. Everything smells clean and looks healthy. Here's hoping for good healthy fish and healthy tanks for all of you too over the holiday season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
I'm getting two clip-on lens kits for my phone camera, one 3-in-1 10x macro/0.65x wide angle/fisheye lens and one 20x macro lens. Macro lenses are what people use to take incredibly close-up detailed photos of the tiny hairs on a micro crab's leg and whatnot so I can't wait to step my fish photography up to the next level. Not my photo, but an example of macro photography: