Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ConfusedUs posted:

I dunno man. I'd actually probably take Younger + Marksmanship, then replace palpatine with 2 academies or one of the new TIE/fo aces (Omega Leader + Comm Relay + Juke + Stealth Device = 29 points).

But I really just hate the shuttle.

Is Omega Leader with the addons really that good? I'm having trouble seeing how Juke + Comm Relay doesn't get situational and weird. It's like, great, you gave your opponent a focus. They probably have a focus token to turn it on anyway? Or do people tend to use them mostly attacking?

I don't have a ton of experience with TIE swarms, so maybe I'm just underestimating them. I feel like basic academy pilots would just get blasted out instantly as well, aren't they super fragile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I probably wouldn't take stealth device, but Omega Leader's ability means the defender can't use a focus to modify dice, effectively cancelling an evade.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

hoiyes posted:

I probably wouldn't take stealth device, but Omega Leader's ability means the defender can't use a focus to modify dice, effectively cancelling an evade.

So he just wants to accumulate a target lock and an evade, and then never spend them?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Deviant posted:

So he just wants to accumulate a target lock and an evade, and then never spend them?

Spend the evade on defence sure, get it back next turn. But keep the TL as long as the target is alive. It's situational, sure. But it's a very powerful effect, capable of pushing damage on otherwise slippery ships.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Deviant posted:

Yeah, his cumulative action economy is stellar. Remember you CAN spend those things if you want, although I wouldn't recommend spending BOTH in the same turn unless you really need it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, his cumulative action economy is stellar. Remember you CAN spend those things if you want, although I wouldn't recommend spending BOTH in the same turn unless you really need it.

Right, I was thinking the build up time would be a problem, but it's not like he's going to be able to target lock turn 1 anyway.

Now I just have to learn to fly blocks of TIEs without crashing them into each other.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whoever was responsible for deciding that there should only be one copy of Juke and Comm Relay per TIE/FO expansion pack should be fed to the Sarlacc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

Whoever was responsible for deciding that there should only be one copy of Juke and Comm Relay per TIE/FO expansion pack should be fed to the Sarlacc.

Only one Integrated Astromech per T70 too.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Are you really that surprised? The only time FFG doubles up on cards is when it is included as a "fix" for a ship in a previous wave. What they should have done is put a copy of each in the TFA Core Set.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Integrated is a pretty loving obvious fix for T-65s, and you only get one per T-70.

EDIT: Also the utility in Juke is higher the more ships you have with it. It forces your opponent to spend the focus in order to get those evades, and then the rest of your list can start to pile on damage. Alternately, get them to spend it against ships without Juke, and then the ship(s) with Juke are basically getting a free Crack Shot to keep.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Love the fact that you can attach your TIE Interceptors/TIE Fighters to the Gozanti. TIE Bombers, not so much.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think Youngster's ability really shines with Bombers and normal TIEs working together. You can run something like...

Youngster (15) [17]
- Squad Leader (2)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16) [28]
- Proton Torpedo (4)
- Extra Munitions (2)
- Cluster Missiles (4)
- XX-23 S-thread Tracers (1)
- Munitions Failsafe (1)

- Proton Torpedo (4)
- Extra Munitions (2)
- Cluster Missiles (4)
- Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 99

You could arguably ditch the Munitions Failsafe, but I like the idea of being able to shoot things more than once if you end up with the right range bands. Fly in a swarmish formation, and then use your Obsidians to give the bombers TL and focus with whatever they feel like shooting at that range. Have Youngster turtle up to avoid being knocked out early, and then just pick the ordnance you feel like spamming that turn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I think Youngster's ability really shines with Bombers and normal TIEs working together. You can run something like...

Youngster (15) [17]
- Squad Leader (2)

- Proton Torpedo (4)
- Extra Munitions (2)
- Cluster Missiles (4)
- Munitions Failsafe (1)

- Proton Torpedo (4)
- Extra Munitions (2)
- Cluster Missiles (4)
- Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 99

You could arguably ditch the Munitions Failsafe, but I like the idea of being able to shoot things more than once if you end up with the right range bands. Fly in a swarmish formation, and then use your Obsidians to give the bombers TL and focus with whatever they feel like shooting at that range. Have Youngster turtle up to avoid being knocked out early, and then just pick the ordnance you feel like spamming that turn.

Youngster only works with TIE Fighters and probably TIE/fo Fighters

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I know. The Obsidians use his Squad Leader to give the bombers actions. They're the cheapest TIE Fighters that are higher PS than the bombers for exactly that reason.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I know. The Obsidians use his Squad Leader to give the bombers actions. They're the cheapest TIE Fighters that are higher PS than the bombers for exactly that reason.

Oh! That makes sense.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

Ok, I can't tell if this is really good or really bad. Thoughts?

“Youngster” (18)
TIE Fighter (15), Squad Leader (2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Epsilon Leader” (19)

“Howlrunner” (20)
TIE Fighter (18), Determination (1), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Omega Ace” (23)
TIE/fo Fighter (20), Push the Limit (3)

“Zeta Leader” (20)
100/100

Idea is it flies as a swarm, Youngster pushes the action economy through the roof, Epsilon Leader handles stress, Howlrunner is support, and Omega Ace takes advantage of the economy to hammer his ability. Zeta's synergizes with Epsilon Leader as well.

I feel like the TIE Mk2s could maybe be taken off for initiative.

Edit: gently caress, I misread squad leader. This isn't nearly as good as I had hoped.

Youngster's ability doesn't work on TIE FOs. It says it works on "TIE Fighters". FO's card says "TIE F/O Fighter".

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The rules reference says:

Ship-type only: This upgrade can only be
equipped to a ship of the specified type. If the
ship’s type includes the entirety of the restricted
type, it can equip that upgrade. For example,
a TIE/fo fighter can equip an Upgrade card
restricted to “TIE Fighter only.”

Wouldn't that apply similarly to an ability?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Youngster's ability doesn't work on TIE FOs. It says it works on "TIE Fighters". FO's card says "TIE F/O Fighter".

ConfusedUs posted:

Page 20 of the Official Rules-

"Ship-type only: This upgrade can only be equipped to a ship of the specified type. If the ship’s type includes the entirety of the restricted type, it can equip that upgrade. For example, a TIE/fo fighter can equip an Upgrade card restricted to “TIE Fighter only.”"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Geisladisk posted:

You sure about that? Page 20 of the rules says that upgrade cards restricted to TIE fighter only work with TIE/fo's also. I think it's probably OK, but will definitely get an FAQ entry.
Efb

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
But The Inquisitor can't use the TIE/x1 title because his ship is a "TIE Adv. Prototype" and x1 says "TIE Advanced only". How are you supposed to pronounce "Adv."?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FAQ states that the game logic for card line type requisites is returned as true as long as the entire name is there. Therefore, even if the new ship was called a FIGHTER F/O TIE, it would still count as a tie fighter. I was unsure about it before too and I'm glad the FAQ clears that up. It's important because for some games, the logic only comes back as true if and only if the type or name is wholly there, in that order.

The inquisitor's ship (can't access the FAQ right now) would be a good question cuz shorthand names may not necessarily count as the full name.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Poopy Palpy posted:

But The Inquisitor can't use the TIE/x1 title because his ship is a "TIE Adv. Prototype" and x1 says "TIE Advanced only". How are you supposed to pronounce "Adv."?

I would wager that since "Adv" is an abbreviation for "Advanced" (and we see it as "Advanced" written in other places where there is room for more letters), that it is applicable. Though they may come back and say that one specifically doesn't apply for all I know.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I just got in another game using some TIE/fo Fighters.
After the game I was talking with my friend and realized a single Accuracy Corrector Tempest may no longer be needed. Zeta Leader with Wired fills that same 21 point slot better in almost every way.

Normally the AC Tempest will take an Evade every turn it is able.
Wired Zeta Leader should follow suit any time it is going to be shot at. (A Target-Lock will only help you re-roll Blanks, and Focus results are hopefully going to be re-rolled into Hits)

Discussing offense
Zeta Leader with Wired has almost the same average damage as an AC Tempest at ranges 2-3. However it has higher variance since it could get unlucky with 2 or 3 Blanks, but it can also pull off 3 hits. Also every Eye you re-roll has a chance to Critical instead of Hit.
At range 1 though, things get interesting.
- The AC Tempest is shooting with 3 reds and getting 1.5 Hits out of it. If it swings to 2 Hits, you keep it, if you only get 1 Hit, AC kicks in and it's 2 again. There's a slight chance of 3 Hits.
- Zeta Leader is firing with 4 reds, and averages out to Hit/Hit/Eye/Blank. Re-rolling the Eye gives you a 50/50 shot at being better offensively. There are also more ways to get lucky as well. Hit/Eye/Eye/Eye, Hit/Hit/Eye/Eye, Hit/Hit/Hit/Eye means higher likelihood of 3 damage and maybe even 4. The one downside is the edge case where you roll 3+ blanks, and don't have AC to even it out.
I like those odds.

Now for defense
- The AC Tempest has 1 more shield
- Zeta Leader gets to re-roll Eye results on defense against targets with lower PS. This means the 3 shots it will take to kill you, you should hopefully have re-rolled one Eye into an Evade, thus making up the difference between Zeta and Tempest. The real bonus is against the dreaded TLT. Since TLT gets two shots, and typically is able to modify one of them, Zeta has a greater chance of avoiding damage altogether. Also of note is that at PS7, Zeta Leader has the opportunity to react to lower PS and avoid arcs. It also does not fall victim to Predator.

There are also a number of other smaller points
- Blocking with PS2 isn't optimal.
- The TIE/fo has a better dial.
- Higher PS means you can kill things before they shoot.
- Tempest can shrug off stress while multiple stress kills Zeta's ability. But that still keeps Wired activated so the downside is limited.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I'm missing as to why it's better to take a TIE Advance with AC?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The TIE/x1 title on the Inquisitor would be so overpowered it would be ridiculous.

Add in ATC using the same logic and you have 3 dice at range 1-3 with a free crit added on top of that which makes it significantly better than a HLC for 6 points less. 1 point gets you an HLC that works at range 1, doesn't flip crits into hits and automatically guarantees at least one crit each shot. It can also be paired with something like predator or PTL for even more damage.

I will admit the wording is currently vague but it will almost certainly get FAQed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KO Derf posted:

What do you guys think? Is there anything I'm missing as to why it's better to take a TIE Advance with AC?

No idea, but the TIE/fo expansion is my new favorite expansion. There are so many good pilots.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The TIE/x1 title on the Inquisitor would be so overpowered it would be ridiculous.

There's no way it'll work on the Tie Adv. Prototype.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

There's no way it'll work on the Tie Adv. Prototype.

I for one welcome our new star wars: Rebels meta.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cross posting from the TFA thread. Spoiler tagged for those who haven't seen it yet.

http://i.imgur.com/UFqrltO.jpg

I'm surprised that we didn't get Snap, Jess Pava or Nien Numb as the unique T-70 X-Wang pilot over generic sounding "Red Ace".

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm just pissed that the movie has a character from that godawful Aftermath book, even if he is the new trilogy's Porkins. That book sucked.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Cross posting from the TFA thread. Spoiler tagged for those who haven't seen it yet.

I'm surprised that we didn't get Snap, Jess Pava or Nien Numb as the unique T-70 X-Wang pilot over generic sounding "Red Ace".

How else will they be able to sell another Rebel huge ship, if they don't package in a bunch of the unique T70 pilots and a black+red X-Wing? :v: (if they do do that though, boy is that gonna be tempting..)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Porkins' belly run is what I call the midnight food run if I'm feeling hungry.

It's also the perfect name for the food place at Disney's new Star Wars land.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have decided to put R3-A2 and a Flechette Torpedo on Wes. With luck, this will turn him into a stress control nightmare at PS10.

Feeling decidedly evil over here.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I have decided to put R3-A2 and a Flechette Torpedo on Wes. With luck, this will turn him into a stress control nightmare at PS10.

Feeling decidedly evil over here.

Stress + Strip Token , Wang him up. I looking forward to a trip report. Running Wedge/Poe with him or?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Hah. A reference to Starfighters over Adumar, the best Rogue Squadron book.

Tierfon Yellow Aces, miscellaneous garbage Y-wing squadron, represeeeent

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

Stress + Strip Token , Wang him up. I looking forward to a trip report. Running Wedge/Poe with him or?

Wes Jansen (29) [34]
Veteran Instincts (1)
R3-A2 (2)
Flechette Torpedo (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29) [33]
Predator (3)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Luke Skywalker (28) [33]
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100 points

I lose the monster initiative bid I love so much, but gain the ability to well and truly gently caress up some poor Soontir or Whisper if I ever happen to run into them. Predator feels like it's giving me more than Opportunist lately with less restrictions on movement the turn after. Honestly the initiative bid probably isn't necessary while I'm running X-wings at 9/10/10 PS. The only things I'll run into that threaten it are VI Vader (that I won't be able to beat on PS anyway) and VI Chirenau, who is not running Predator and therefore okay by me.

Really, the idea of declare target -> stress -> fire torpedo -> stress -> strip token sounds incredibly sexy (even if it leaves Soontir with a net +1 focus token for that turn. It's the turns after that matters). It turns Wes into even more of a control pilot, and moves his domain from merely combat and token control to maneuver and action control too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f7/1d/f71df063-0528-4ae5-8fda-66a3b8d89a6c/x-wing_faq_v4.pdf
New FAQ is up. Some clarification about Crack Shot, and the Blinded Pilot critical damage card.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
wow that was a bad film

not like

prequels bad

but pretty bad

will buy poe's alt-color xwang on day one tho

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I disagree, and am excited to run a squadron of T-70s with hello nasty, poe, and fat beard man (pending release)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Otisburg posted:

I disagree, and am excited to run a squadron of T-70s with hello nasty, poe, and fat beard man (pending release)

I understand and respect your disagreement. They are opinions, after all.

Wangs were the best part of the film, Poe must've been rolling full hits at point blank range with every shot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Babby's first squadron, using what I got and what I have coming in trades/gifts:

============================
Stressed Han, Juke Joint Poe
============================

100 points

Pilots
------

Han Solo (60)
YT-1300 (46), Push the Limit (3), C-3PO (3), Kyle Katarn (3), Millennium Falcon (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Poe Dameron (40)
T-70 X-Wing (31), BB-8 (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Poe has no way to get an Evade Token to use Juke and Comm Relay, unfortunately.

• Locked thread