Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

Confidence man is another chain that brings in a lot of Curie affection. Something that I found pretty difficult.

I have a theory that Curies affection resets after She turns into a synth or never rises at all before that point because I had gathered a ton of affection with her at that point and after her... Change her thoughts on our relationship was at the same level as when I first found her.

Well, you tried. I GUESS that counts as trying.

EDIT :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why censor the name of your character?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

khy posted:

Well, you tried. I GUESS that counts as trying.

EDIT :

Oh wow that made me laugh so hard I got tears in my eyes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Why censor the name of your character?

He doesn't want us to see that he named himself Weedlord Bronyfan

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

woodenchicken posted:

Courser is such a Deus Ex boss fight. Just running about the room aimlessly turning invisibility on and off, healing itself and erupting with a hail of gunfire whenever it sees you. Old school. To add to the comparison, it even tried to initiate a pre-fight conversation before I shotgunned its face.

It definitely reminded me a bit of Walton Simon, yeah. It also went down like a punk sucker like Simon did as well eat it I'll interfere with that interrogation all I want

I really wish the Institute was more fleshed out. :sigh:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zephyrine posted:

I have a theory that Curies affection resets after She turns into a synth or never rises at all before that point because I had gathered a ton of affection with her at that point and after her... Change her thoughts on our relationship was at the same level as when I first found her.

Nah. IIRC from my testing, Curie is actually locked at a maximum of 499 (on a 0-1000 scale where 1000 is the idolized marker and you get the perk) until you do the related quest.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I had a weird thing with Curie where I was doing the Covenant quest. She loved it when stood up for Synths and refused to side with the idiot mad torturer quack doctor, but when when I went back to covenant to slaughter the now-hostile populace, I got a bunch of "Curie hated that" messages and she left my service as soon as the firefight started, as if she was reacting to me mowing down normal non-aggro townspeople. I ended up reloading from the save just after I exited the Compound, sent her to chill at Red Rocket, then retrieved her there after I "dealt with" Covenant, which was apparently fine. Does that kind of thing happen with any companion? Did it happen because I stole something?

I know Covenant is just generally a buggy mess, where all the stuff in the town is still marked for stealing after you take over and your settlers will get annoyed if you pick any of it up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's a good thing that I basically "salted the earth" with Covenant and plan to make it my own personal Fortress of Solitude. No one will settle that horrible place ever again.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

assuming that i never progress the minutemen quest past the first few requests that preston gives you (he gave me the quest to retake a fort and it's just been rotting in my log for 30 some levels) is there any real point to building up the random communities you find? i've taken like 6 or 7 and built them up to 15 or so people, and i've got the second level community leader perk so i can make stores and whatever, but it's starting to feel like this is more or less a virtual doll house with no real bearing on anything. i think ONE time the abernathy farm was UNDER ATTACK! but by the time i got there the settlers had killed the single super mutant that i assume was harrassing them.

does settlement building ever matter outside of the minutemen? i don't give a poo poo about their stupid organization, so it feels like the town building is completely pointless.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Phrasing posted:

When I was sent to the Pillars of the Community to find the sister I thought it was a nice detail when my character tells the charlatan that he killed the last idiot who tried this scam on him.

Nick dislikes that, which I thought was weird as it resolved things without (further) bloodshed.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

homeless poster posted:

assuming that i never progress the minutemen quest past the first few requests that preston gives you (he gave me the quest to retake a fort and it's just been rotting in my log for 30 some levels) is there any real point to building up the random communities you find? i've taken like 6 or 7 and built them up to 15 or so people, and i've got the second level community leader perk so i can make stores and whatever, but it's starting to feel like this is more or less a virtual doll house with no real bearing on anything. i think ONE time the abernathy farm was UNDER ATTACK! but by the time i got there the settlers had killed the single super mutant that i assume was harrassing them.

does settlement building ever matter outside of the minutemen? i don't give a poo poo about their stupid organization, so it feels like the town building is completely pointless.

Do the Castle quest. Afterwards you'll be able to build artillery in your settlements, and call down hellfire on all those who would oppose you. Very situational but fun as hell.

Plus they can provide some useful material is you've got a bunch of scavenging stations running.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

homeless poster posted:

Purified water farms for caps I guess. Also the minuteman quests are a good way to find interesting places to explore and to get on good terms with your companions (Most of who have very interesting stories)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Do the Castle quest. Afterwards you'll be able to build artillery in your settlements, and call down hellfire on all those who would oppose you. Very situational but fun as hell.

Plus they can provide some useful material is you've got a bunch of scavenging stations running.

This quest is still glitched for me on ps4 :(

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zephyrine posted:

(Most of who have very interesting stories)

agree to disagree here. my favorite companion is dog because he doesn't try to interject his painfully predictable and cliche backstory in the middle of a deathclaw trying to buttfuck you. i had cait literally pull me out of combat multiple times while the entirety of the mr. handy city was swarming us to talk about her feelings.

also, i feel like i'm dodging a bullet by not finishing the minutemen stuff. i don't get hassled with constant radiant AI requests to go rescue some idiot from a fate he deserves. and, after 30 some levels, my map is pretty well filled in, and the only locations worth exploring now are the ones with some kind of unique loot (bobblehead or magazines or whatever) so just traipsing across the map is pretty meaningless for me.

i guess the community building is more or less pointless for me. i was starting to feel like i'd gotten as much playtime as i was likely to get out of my first character. time to go burn down the institute or whatever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

woodenchicken posted:

Courser is such a Deus Ex boss fight. Just running about the room aimlessly turning invisibility on and off, healing itself and erupting with a hail of gunfire whenever it sees you. Old school. To add to the comparison, it even tried to initiate a pre-fight conversation before I shotgunned its face.

I used a Fatman MIRV . So loving worth it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there more than one "drug den" other than the unmarked place over by bunker hill? I've got a railroad quest to clear it out, but it won't complete, and I can't seem to find a way to cancel/reject the quest (playing on console).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

homeless poster posted:

agree to disagree here. my favorite companion is dog because he doesn't try to interject his painfully predictable and cliche backstory in the middle of a deathclaw trying to buttfuck you. i had cait literally pull me out of combat multiple times while the entirety of the mr. handy city was swarming us to talk about her feelings.

also, i feel like i'm dodging a bullet by not finishing the minutemen stuff. i don't get hassled with constant radiant AI requests to go rescue some idiot from a fate he deserves. and, after 30 some levels, my map is pretty well filled in, and the only locations worth exploring now are the ones with some kind of unique loot (bobblehead or magazines or whatever) so just traipsing across the map is pretty meaningless for me.

i guess the community building is more or less pointless for me. i was starting to feel like i'd gotten as much playtime as i was likely to get out of my first character. time to go burn down the institute or whatever.

Yeah if the settlement stuff doesn't click for you as a fun element in itself, there's little benefit to be had in doing it. You can get some rarer junk items and lots of caps, but neither of those things are necessary in any sense to play the game, and the same is true of the artillery you can unlock.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

homeless poster posted:

You can make artillery after you take the fort which is more amusing than useful. Most of my settlements are two dudes, one on the arty, one farming up two food, with a single turret providing "adequate" defense for the 3 water/2 food settlement. Beyond that? Not really. Water farm for some cash if you feel the need, some place to call home with some stores, and you're pretty much golden.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Yeah, to me Fallout 4 is the story of you and your fearless dog. Thanks for helping me find Virgil, Nick Valentine, but Dogmeat the incredible crime-fighting canine is the only friend I need in the wasteland.

I hate to be that guy, but none of the companions hold a candle to Boone.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I used a Fatman MIRV . So loving worth it.

I... uhh... used its kill switch command? I have no idea where I even got that information but it came up as a dialog option and I only selected it out of curiosity. So where did the command come from?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

lethial posted:

I... uhh... used its kill switch command? I have no idea where I even got that information but it came up as a dialog option and I only selected it out of curiosity. So where did the command come from?

I think it comes from one of Mama Murphy's visions. She says you should remember the phrase because it's important, but doesn't know why.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Curie doesnt like it if you kill Lorenzo Cabot, because of the violence, but if you let the psychopath go his first act is to kill his family.

Curie hated that.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ain't nothin' like a deathclaw rushing for you and there's nothing you can do because the game refuses to let you switch weapons :cool:

Tokelau All Star posted:

I hate to be that guy, but none of the companions hold a candle to Boone.

Boone was great, it was like having Max Payne at your side. Also helps that he was actually useful, if I remember right the fuckin guy would be blowing heads off of things before you even knew they were there.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Phrasing posted:

Curie doesnt like it if you kill Lorenzo Cabot, because of the violence, but if you let the psychopath go his first act is to kill his family.

Curie hated that.

She doesn't like if you kill Lorenzo but she does like it if, after killing him, you open the door :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Curie is a pacifist, even though she's good-hearted any time you have the option of sparing someone, even if they're evil, she likes it if you spare them. For example, the mad scientist behind Covenant. I said, no way, I'm not joining you, and Curie chimed in, "You have violated your most sacred oaths!" and joined in the fight, despite a "Curie Disliked That" notification. She's a pollyanna, basically.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Speedball posted:

She's a pollyanna, basically.

I had to Google that.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I randomly found Nick at Sanctuary when I rang the bell. Then, for an update to those who gave me advice the other day, I found Piper at The Castle for no reason. I immediately dismissed Nick to Jamaica Plain and guess where he's not?

Also, even though I have a full X-01 set and am at level 52, only Raider II power armors or less are spawning 'in the wild'. Love the glitches in this game.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

we are gamer's... we play Dark Souls... do nOT gently caress with us

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Caper posted:

Also, even though I have a full X-01 set and am at level 52, only Raider II power armors or less are spawning 'in the wild'. Love the glitches in this game.

I found an X-01 sans arms in the guard shack by Fort Strong at like level 23, I'm around the same level as you and have never seen one again. I still rock the T-60 BOS arms they gave me for that mission.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lugubrious posted:

I think it comes from one of Mama Murphy's visions. She says you should remember the phrase because it's important, but doesn't know why.

Mama Murphy is terrible for that. There's a couple other ones too where you get a dialogue choice where it doesn't seem to make any sense that you know something, because you skipped over Murphy's dialogue or didn't remember it, because there's no indication that it's anything to do with her. I think there's one where you rescue Nick Valentine, when you confront the mob boss at the end, if you've had a certain dialogue with Mama Murphy, you get an option like "remember the quarry" and it causes him to let you leave. I had that on my first play through and couldn't figure out what the hell that was even supposed to be about until I looked it up.

God I hate Mama Murphy.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Both of those games are poo poo though because all of that is done badly.

Also lol at Diamond City being "large", it's barely got the population of the loving Balmora, except that had more interesting poo poo and quests to it. Also what the hell is Bethesda doing with their engine that they can't have an actual real town with real people.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was doing the last few parts of the Railroad's story quest, and I noticed that for some reason a pack brahmin just kept showing up wherever I went and seemed to want to follow me around. When I got back to HQ after attacking the Prydwen I saw the brahmin next to Deacon and then remembered that I'd set him up as a provisioner.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

homeless poster posted:

Inversely, I hate the dog and Codsworth because the game forces them on you way too early. I feel like early-game isolation is a really important part of Fallout. The entire thing is about you slowly scrounging together your place in the world, both in terms of equipment and societally, and that doesn't work when they just give you as much as they do early on in the game.

I can't speak for 1 and 2, although I know that companions aren't exactly hurled at you very easily and quickly in them (and they're just as easily lost). In 3 your earliest potential companions are Dogmeat (if you really go out of your way), Jericho (if you're both evil and loaded really quickly), and RL-3 (if you go out of your way and are loaded), none of which are easy tasks; if you go straight through the main quest, the only companion the game straight-up gives you is Fawkes, and you can get that Paladin from the Citadel, but both of those are really endgame. In New Vegas most of the party members are kind of out of the way, and the only early ones require some fairly hefty skill-checks for the early game (ED-E) and a reasonably involved quest (Boone).

Fallout 4 just gives you Dogmeat right after leaving Sanctuary, and then Codsworth when you come back, and Preston if you give him a hand. Not much further into the main quest after that, you're then offered both Piper and Nick, so you're never really wanting for companions. And of course, by the time you've gotten Dogmeat and Codsworth (and Preston) you've already gotten a shitload of weapons of several types, a full set of power armor, at least one heavy weapon,and the spoils of a Deathclaw and whatever you stole from the raiders. So the companions aren't alone in giving you way too much of a start in this game.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't remember 1 all that clearly, but don't you get sulik with less effort than preston in 2?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You need $350 to buy Sulik which probably takes a little while on your first run through the game but if you know what you are doing you can probably get him with less effort if you don't count the Temple of Trials.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
This makes me want a banana peel landmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIOGNaxb-4

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Inversely, I hate the dog and Codsworth because the game forces them on you way too early. I feel like early-game isolation is a really important part of Fallout. The entire thing is about you slowly scrounging together your place in the world, both in terms of equipment and societally, and that doesn't work when they just give you as much as they do early on in the game.

I can't speak for 1 and 2, although I know that companions aren't exactly hurled at you very easily and quickly in them (and they're just as easily lost). In 3 your earliest potential companions are Dogmeat (if you really go out of your way), Jericho (if you're both evil and loaded really quickly), and RL-3 (if you go out of your way and are loaded), none of which are easy tasks; if you go straight through the main quest, the only companion the game straight-up gives you is Fawkes, and you can get that Paladin from the Citadel, but both of those are really endgame. In New Vegas most of the party members are kind of out of the way, and the only early ones require some fairly hefty skill-checks for the early game (ED-E) and a reasonably involved quest (Boone).

Fallout 4 just gives you Dogmeat right after leaving Sanctuary, and then Codsworth when you come back, and Preston if you give him a hand. Not much further into the main quest after that, you're then offered both Piper and Nick, so you're never really wanting for companions. And of course, by the time you've gotten Dogmeat and Codsworth (and Preston) you've already gotten a shitload of weapons of several types, a full set of power armor, at least one heavy weapon,and the spoils of a Deathclaw and whatever you stole from the raiders. So the companions aren't alone in giving you way too much of a start in this game.

I think it's just a general problem that Fallout 4 blows its load too early. Power armor, big rear end weapons, and killing deathclaws were things that you worked towards in the past games. Here they railroad you into all of them right off the bat and afterwards there's no gear that's really qualitatively impressive or enemy that's especially intimidating.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

I think it's just a general problem that Fallout 4 blows its load too early. Power armor, big rear end weapons, and killing deathclaws were things that you worked towards in the past games. Here they railroad you into all of them right off the bat and afterwards there's no gear that's really qualitatively impressive or enemy that's especially intimidating.

I could see this working if they changed a few things.

1 Make the minigun a part of that particular set of power armour. (like on the vertibirds)

at the end of the fight the death claw picks you up and starts tearing into you. Then they script a building toppling over the two of you (damage from an explosion caused after the deathclaw emerges).

The screen turns black and then Preston and a few of the others dig your out of the wreck. The deathclaw being dead but the power armour was ruined due to the falling debris and cannot be recovered.

You get the encounter and a "taste" of what the game offers without walking out of there with power armour and a minigun.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the part where you join the Brotherhood and they try to hype up you getting power armor, John Fallout gets to ask about it like 3 times in ten minutes but you got a suit in the first quest of the game, not to mention the countless sets just lying around that the average player almost certainly found a few of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Pwnstar posted:

I like the part where you join the Brotherhood and they try to hype up you getting power armor, John Fallout gets to ask about it like 3 times in ten minutes but you got a suit in the first quest of the game, not to mention the countless sets just lying around that the average player almost certainly found a few of.

I think they assumed people would progress much quicker and further in the storyline. You get a suit of T60 from BOS, don't you? It's a far better PA than the T45 or the Raider bits and pieces you get access to at lower levels. Unfortunately due to the main story being as exciting and compelling as it is, I arrived at the Prydwen in a full X-01 at level 50-something.

• Locked thread