Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AnacondaHL posted:

There's no cooldown on opening the gifts, so a simple AutoHotKey click macro will open them all in a jiffy. As an added bonus you get to see the item spam scroll up the side of your screen for several minutes.

I meant the glove conversion. A shitload of clicks but a better karma -> gold rate than the gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm starting to think that ANet has actual contempt for the players, what with the "double click 10000 holiday drinks and foods" thing.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm starting to think that ANet has actual contempt for the players, what with the "double click 10000 holiday drinks and foods" thing.

These types of achievements existed in Guild Wars, so they are nothing new. Before they changed it to a points-based system, the Drunkard title in Guild Wars required you to be drunk for 10,000 minutes, and that was a character-based title. Personally, I like anything they add to the game that is reminiscent of the original Guild Wars.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah, the whole direction of the game over the past year has been one big :psyduck: to me. Thankfully, at this point I only really care about SAB, when and if it returns.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is it better to sell or open Wintersday gifts?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Erdricks posted:

Yeah, the whole direction of the game over the past year has been one big :psyduck: to me. Thankfully, at this point I only really care about SAB, when and if it returns.

HoT really burned me. I haven't logging in for more than a minute or two in a long time. Not sure what it is about this game but I play it every day for 6 months and then can't touch it for a while.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

HoT really burned me. I haven't logging in for more than a minute or two in a long time. Not sure what it is about this game but I play it every day for 6 months and then can't touch it for a while.

It's ok, that's how GW1 was with all of its expansions.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Starting to craft the Astralaria precursor just completely obliterated my drive to play this game. After I was done with the 12-day time gate, I end up on on the tier 2 precursor, which is just a straight-up gold sink. I couldn't get the grandmaster weaponsmith to recognize that I have all the bullshit axe blades and such in my inventory, and I just gave up out of frustration.

HoT just plain isn't fun. Not enough to princess my princesses with, and what's there and new requires such an obscene amount of repeating content that I just don't have the drive to do any of it. Even just making the boring looking machined weapons takes too much! I thought Silverwaste was actually fun and even made the full Luminescent set, but the HoT zones just aren't fun to do repeatedly.

For me, anyway, your mileage will vary! If this poo poo's your jam, then more power to you. But after spending a lot of time with HoT I can definitely echo those who feel burned.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

thanks alot assbag posted:

Starting to craft the Astralaria precursor just completely obliterated my drive to play this game. After I was done with the 12-day time gate, I end up on on the tier 2 precursor, which is just a straight-up gold sink. I couldn't get the grandmaster weaponsmith to recognize that I have all the bullshit axe blades and such in my inventory, and I just gave up out of frustration.

HoT just plain isn't fun. Not enough to princess my princesses with, and what's there and new requires such an obscene amount of repeating content that I just don't have the drive to do any of it. Even just making the boring looking machined weapons takes too much! I thought Silverwaste was actually fun and even made the full Luminescent set, but the HoT zones just aren't fun to do repeatedly.

For me, anyway, your mileage will vary! If this poo poo's your jam, then more power to you. But after spending a lot of time with HoT I can definitely echo those who feel burned.
Yeah, this is where I've been at for a few weeks. I've finished most of the 'casual friendly' content in the game and if I want to get anywhere else it's just grind forever :effort:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm in the same boat, so I've been starting to focus on WvW. It's content that I can do in small bursts, and it's definitely still active. I love WvW and really hope this rumoured revamp doesn't gently caress it up.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I honestly haven't played a game like GW2 that I burn out so easily on. I can't even force myself to log in to get the daily rewards these days.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Those of you suffering burnout should forward your ascended crafting mats to GenericOctopus.7413. tia

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Just like to thank everyone in SFD who donated to the guild hall, we reached lvl 40 and have beaten the game. See you in sol sector, star citizen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the pre crafting stuff would be cool if they expanded on the journey anymore and made it less of a huge gold sink, hell if you want people to have the pre give them the gold to make it but you can ONLY use it on the pre, maybe make it yet another stupid currency.

Point is, make it so the pre journey is some cool poo poo wrapped up in whatever the weapons story is and you'll get it based on how much work you put into it, not all this mountains of grinding that still requires a gigantic amount of gold when all the best ways to make gold have been nerfed into the ground, and its especially bad when according to that reddit dude, at most you save some pittance of gold instead of just outright buying it, the ones you can buy anyway, I am aware the new ones cannot be sold at all.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

I think the pre crafting stuff would be cool if they expanded on the journey anymore and made it less of a huge gold sink, hell if you want people to have the pre give them the gold to make it but you can ONLY use it on the pre, maybe make it yet another stupid currency.

Point is, make it so the pre journey is some cool poo poo wrapped up in whatever the weapons story is and you'll get it based on how much work you put into it, not all this mountains of grinding that still requires a gigantic amount of gold when all the best ways to make gold have been nerfed into the ground, and its especially bad when according to that reddit dude, at most you save some pittance of gold instead of just outright buying it, the ones you can buy anyway, I am aware the new ones cannot be sold at all.

That sounds like a lot of effort that could instead be put toward the gem store though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wish there was a collection which unlocked the right to buy exclusive items from the gem store

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It would have to be mastery gated though.

e. and the mastery is only unlocked after completing all fractals

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
it cannot be overstated how stupid the gauntlet of exploding gifts part of the wintersday jump puzzle is

I can reliably do the rest of this jump puzzle, but the gifts part continues to be "hold W, mash space bar, and pray like hell"

e: otoh it feels amazing when you get through it by the skin of your teeth

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Octopus posted:

That sounds like a lot of effort that could instead be put toward the gem store though.

That is sadly true.

Before my PC died I noticed they where pumping out black lion skins very quickly compared to previous times where they tended to stay up for longer.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm going to let everyone in on a COOL WINTERSDAY JP SECRET, are you ready here it is:

let some other sucker jump on the presents first, and then you jump right when the bottom one is respawning and you will get it every time

Lots of people will be mad at me for revealing the secret, but I think it is a right for goons to know the trick.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

In a fit of madness I decided my mesmer needed to match her near-constant alacrity aura.

Aaagh so purple send help

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

endolithic posted:

In a fit of madness I decided my mesmer needed to match her near-constant alacrity aura.

Aaagh so purple send help

looks cool, like it

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Magres posted:

it cannot be overstated how stupid the gauntlet of exploding gifts part of the wintersday jump puzzle is

I can reliably do the rest of this jump puzzle, but the gifts part continues to be "hold W, mash space bar, and pray like hell"

e: otoh it feels amazing when you get through it by the skin of your teeth

The rest is easy, the gifts are really RNG, first you got to not fall short of the first jump, then you got to hope the game doesn't decide to randomly knock you back because a gift nowhere near you exploded.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I got knocked back randomly on the gifts but landed in thin air and was able to continue jumping up to the top of the presents, was a bit weird!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
i got a bee gem yesterday after killing Gorseval, woot me, it looks terrible but at least its worth 999g99s99c

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Dreggon posted:

i wish there was a collection which unlocked the right to buy exclusive items from the gem store

Collect every item from the gem store to unlock more items from the gem store!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ExHumus posted:

Collect every item from the gem store to unlock more items from the gem store!

Challenge accepted.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Looks like they brought all the dye kits back at regular price, as well as Festive Lord Faren if you missed him earlier.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Laphroaig posted:

i got a bee gem yesterday after killing Gorseval, woot me, it looks terrible but at least its worth 999g99s99c

How dare you

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Challenge accepted.

Gotta build that gem equity :shepspends:

e. On a semi-serious note, those gemstore items that unlock quests to get other minis or that glider skin are another thing that's slowly turning me off from the game. It effectively gates content (albeit minor) behind the gemstore. I wouldn't say it pisses me off, because that implies an :effort: I can't quite muster, but deliberate decisions that are blatantly designed to make people bust out credit cards makes me want to do the opposite. I'm not entitled to poo poo and if that's the way the game is headed, so be it. But it's the opposite of what I signed up for and if Anet doesn't care about retaining my segment of the playerbase then I probably won't care to stick around much longer.

Anyways that's my calm and reasoned opinion internet, thank you for reading also GW1 managed to not have these problems so it's not like it can't be done so WHA TTHE gently caress obamaNET??

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 23, 2015

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, this is where I've been at for a few weeks. I've finished most of the 'casual friendly' content in the game and if I want to get anywhere else it's just grind forever :effort:

Same. I've been playing other games a bit. I'll come back for the next Living Story in April when they release SAB again. There's not a whole lot of new skins I can be unlocking, and that was like 50% of the game for me. I do enjoy the Guild Hall stuff so I jump around there once a week to see what dentists have added.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Gotta build that gem equity :shepspends:

e. On a semi-serious note, those gemstore items that unlock quests to get other minis or that glider skin are another thing that's slowly turning me off from the game. It effectively gates content (albeit minor) behind the gemstore. I wouldn't say it pisses me off, because that implies an :effort: I can't quite muster, but deliberate decisions that are blatantly designed to make people bust out credit cards makes me want to do the opposite. I'm not entitled to poo poo and if that's the way the game is headed, so be it. But it's the opposite of what I signed up for and if Anet doesn't care about retaining my segment of the playerbase then I probably won't care to stick around much longer.

Anyways that's my calm and reasoned opinion internet, thank you for reading also GW1 managed to not have these problems so it's not like it can't be done so WHA TTHE gently caress obamaNET??

Genuine question: how is a mini that unlocks an additional skin materially different from a bundle that includes both items, purchased directly?

Aug 24, 2011

Kessel posted:

Genuine question: how is a mini that unlocks an additional skin materially different from a bundle that includes both items, purchased directly?

it would be nice to play that content without having to pay the equivalent of real money

admittedly you can buy it with gold, but that is quite expensive and you might not necessarily want one or either or both of the gem store items, just the collection quest

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The only thing stopping me from getting into raiding (or sPVP/WvW/world completion/whatever) is me. The only thing stopping me from completing that content is busting out my credit card (or farming for 3-4 hours to complete a half hour quest chain). It's a subtle but very deliberate game decision designed to suck irl dollars from players or suck them deeper into the skinner box and predispose them to do more of the same. ANet has kids to feed just like I do, and that's their business, but it's not one I want to be a part of.

There's also the opportunity cost of content that could be developed for the game at large, but isn't.

Aug 24, 2011

ya theres a huge amount of daily poo poo introduced with heart of thorns, i saw some people pre heart of thorns who did every world boss every day with multiple characters to get the most loot

and i thought, why? are you really having fun doing that?

now with the new legendaries theres probably people who are farming so they can afford every single one and they will farm things, every day, to afford that

there's got to be a limit but some people have a lot of trouble defining it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you get that in all mmos though, wow's is far worse because they worked out years ago how to give people "micro-highs" which is loot drops, achievements, or spending points won in PVP on that sweet purple from a vendor that will allow you to get just 10 dps more and maybe put you one up on the DPS charts. Not the only mmo to do this but they are the absolute masters at it. Once you work out that all you need to do to be the best at something in wow is to play healer druid in battlegrounds in any basic PVP gear, you have beaten the game and are now free.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
wow is funny because it's a perfect case study on how going hardcore will destroy even the most robust video game population. all it took was two years of bad expansion to go from 11 million subscribers to <5 million!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just zoned into the raid on my thief and the game instantly killed me :saddowns:

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just zoned into the raid on my thief and the game instantly killed me :saddowns:

Working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The next step is to just prevent players from logging in on their thieves.

• Locked thread