Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, the Democratic Party probably doesn't give a poo poo what internet liberals who routinely talk about how they would never join the centrist Democratic Party think or how many change.org petitions they sign.

I'm looking forward to a wave of complaints on the various primary dates that the like, totally fascist poll officials told them they can't vote in their state unless they'd already registered as a Democrat with the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

pathetic little tramp posted:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/14/planned-parenthood-court-case.html

It says Indiana has a similar law but the law in Indiana as far as I can tell from reports does not attach a misdemeanour and basically seems to just be saying that an abortion clinic must offer burial as an option.

Forcing women to look at ultrasounds, making them decide how they want the fetuses disposed of - All of this stuff would be so traumatizing for a scared woman seeking an abortion. Do these politicians not realize it would just lead to a bunch of self-induced miscarriages or neglected/abandoned babies? What about rape victims, or women who would want to keep their babies but they're not viable? It's just so heartless and cruel, and it's just pandering for votes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Forcing women to look at ultrasounds, making them decide how they want the fetuses disposed of - All of this stuff would be so traumatizing for a scared woman seeking an abortion. Do these politicians not realize it would just lead to a bunch of self-induced miscarriages or neglected/abandoned babies? What about rape victims, or women who would want to keep their babies but they're not viable? It's just so heartless and cruel, and it's just pandering for votes.
I think the real goal is to make the women feel very bad about what they have done, so all of those situations are mission accomplished.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In light of NASA getting a bigger budget this year....

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the real goal is to make the women feel very bad about what they have done, so all of those situations are mission accomplished.

I don't think many people who want to restrict access to abortion or any of that really believe it. They know a shitload of yokels out there do though, and that's who they're pandering to. There are tens of millions of people in this country that think that way, and they vote. That somehow makes it worse in my mind.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

CommieGIR posted:

In light of NASA getting a bigger budget this year....

This is a big loving deal in the words of Joe Biden. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4&feature=youtu.be&t=41m42s

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 22, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

pathetic little tramp posted:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/12/14/planned-parenthood-court-case.html

It says Indiana has a similar law but the law in Indiana as far as I can tell from reports does not attach a misdemeanour and basically seems to just be saying that an abortion clinic must offer burial as an option.

Yes, this law is just loving awful. Especially the misdemeanor charge they could face. There are other states moving to enact this law as well or they already have it as a law.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

I'm looking forward to a wave of complaints on the various primary dates that the like, totally fascist poll officials told them they can't vote in their state unless they'd already registered as a Democrat with the state.

Closed primaries are bad - yes. My state lets me register as unaffiliated - by voting in a primary I register/declare as a member of that party - and I can reregister as 'unaffiliated' at the municipal office with a 'cooldown' time before the next primary. States that don't have this mechanism are bad and should be agitated against.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think many people who want to restrict access to abortion or any of that really believe it. They know a shitload of yokels out there do though, and that's who they're pandering to. There are tens of millions of people in this country that think that way, and they vote. That somehow makes it worse in my mind.
I used to often ask whether a politician really believed in their positions or was just pandering to people who do, but recently I'm thinking that that is an unproductive question. The result is the same either way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

McDowell posted:

Closed primaries are bad - yes. My state lets me register as unaffiliated - by voting in a primary I register/declare as a member of that party - and I can reregister as 'unaffiliated' at the municipal office with a 'cooldown' time before the next primary. States that don't have this mechanism are bad and should be agitated against.

Nah, closed primaries are good because they are party business.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McDowell posted:

I can see both sides. I enjoy being able to vote in open primaries in my state but I wouldn't complain if I weren't allowed to.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Could someone explain to a non-American why almost everyone, even what I would have guessed were his original supporters, have turned on Michael Moore so distinctly?

Am I misreading this? Because it seems like every time he comes up everyone, even in leftist circles, just rips into him.

As an outsider all I've really seen is the old TV show and some of the movies, but in all honesty hasn't history been generally kind; guns are still out of control and 9/11 is still used as material for fear mongering to this very day?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

They would consider the bolded event an improvement, as from their perspective the neglected babies would otherwise be murdered.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, the Democratic Party probably doesn't give a poo poo what internet liberals who routinely talk about how they would never join the centrist Democratic Party think or how many change.org petitions they sign.

thats why they are smarter then the GOP. the GOP let all rabble rouses in because they thought they could be useful. Now they could be hosed because the inmates run the asylum.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pararoid posted:

Could someone explain to a non-American why almost everyone, even what I would have guessed were his original supporters, have turned on Michael Moore so distinctly?

Am I misreading this? Because it seems like every time he comes up everyone, even in leftist circles, just rips into him.

As an outsider all I've really seen is the old TV show and some of the movies, but in all honesty hasn't history been generally kind; guns are still out of control and 9/11 is still used as material for fear mongering to this very day?

Haven't seen any of his stuff lately but sometimes he argues in bad faith and he prefers to use highly emotive arguments rather than carefully reasoned ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pararoid posted:

He was made fun of a decent amount in the 90s over the tone and method of his first 4 documentaries and various earlier TV things, so what you're seeing is a return to how he used to be treated before he became widely praised. He also lacks a lot of subtlety.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pararoid posted:

He's the designated whipping boy so liberals can say "see, we don't tolerate extremists on OUR side."

But yeah, his movies and TV shows were great and paved the way for things like the Daily Show segments we all praise.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pararoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSBhI_0at0

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I get what you're saying, but just to be fair though, doesn't 'lacks subtlety' play better over there than ever before?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pararoid posted:

I get what you're saying, but just to be fair though, doesn't 'lacks subtlety' play better over there than ever before?

A lot of it is backlash as everybody tries to wipe away their memories of the Bush years for various reasons, and he was one of the few people standing up to that tide.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pararoid posted:

It would to the general public, but the general public hasn't watched a Michael Moore thing in a decade or more. And the kind of people who do go to watch documentaries of his type find it pretty grating when it's done as much as he does.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Some good explanations here, thank you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the right celebrate their loudmouth ideologues. the left, having a functional sense of shame, are generally embarrased of them, even if they quietly agree with them

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Trey and Matt Parker's Michael Moore in Team America was the beginning of the end.

All primaries should be open primaries. Having two private organizations monopolize the government is dysfunctional - this is part of the Sanders pitch. It should be about policy ideas and implementation, not team jerseys. Information technology is the means by which the state and the general public can become one - in a sort of Marx/Bakunin way

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
By the looks of it he's got a movie coming out tomorrow, so I guess he'll make his way back into the public consciousness in some way.

US politics is probably more popular in New Zealand than our own local politics even at this stage of the election; I was speaking to a professor of US Pols and he said he usually declines to speak on US Pols in New Zealand because the population is comprised almost entirely of self-described US Politics experts.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Speaking of Moore: For your bad holiday movie needs I would (not) recommend David Zucker's An American Carol, starring Chris Farley's brother and every Hollywood conservative ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2BKVsjtnWs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also wow I hadn't even heard of Michael Moore's 2007 movie which then got repackaged and rereleased in 2008: Captain Mike Across America and Slacker Uprising respectively. Apparently it's really dire, with a Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 28% for the initial version.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sicko wasn't too bad.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Most either do not think of the consequences or when they do believe that harm that befalls the woman is well deserved. I know a guy who used to routinely hold armed protests on the steps of the capitol building in New Hampshire because freedom who then also shouted from rooftops how glad he was that a local woman died of complications due to an abortion performed by a physician. "They should have thought of that before they had sex" is a not uncommon phrase.

Pararoid posted:

He's an extremely inauthentic douche who makes bad arguments. I mean have you watched a few panels or interviews with him? It's really bad.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

I think Trump mentioned Whitewater yesterday.

We should have a dedicated thread just to Clinton scandals.

Whitewater, Travelgate, Filegate, Chinagate, Benghazi, Emailghazi, Speechgate, the Clinton Foundation, the Lincoln Bedroom, Vince Foster, Ron Brown, Webster Hubbel, Monica Lewinski, Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers, Juanita Broddrick, the Mena Airport, stealing all the "W" keys....

That's just off the top of my head. There's at least another dozen affairs and suspicious deaths each.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

Nah, closed primaries are good because they are party business.

Agreed, but caucuses are even better.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Chelsea Clinton just announced she's pregnant again and expecting in the summer, probably during the convention as a stunt to steal all of Bernie's delegate support!! To help her get elected for sympathy and to make the GOP look bad.
FTFY.

fishmech posted:

Yeah it cannot be that its democrats who don't like how incompetent she is as a DNC chairwomen, in that certianly contributed to the 2014 disaster.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Best Michael Moore movie is Canadian Bacon and it's not even close.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

USPOL Jan: "There’s a 90 percent chance of dicks tonight and a 90 percent chance of dicks tomorrow."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Best Michael Moore movie is Canadian Bacon and it's not even close.

"I'm your worst nightmare... a citizen with a constitutional right to bear arms!"

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

All primaries should be open primaries. Having two private organizations monopolize the government is dysfunctional - this is part of the Sanders pitch.

Then he shouldn't be running as a Democrat and using Democratic Party resources to bilk redditors and millenials out of millions of dollars.

I get it...the two party system is horrible but it really irritates me when third-party or independent politicians run for president but do nothing outside presidential election season to grow their party/ideology. If people like Sanders really wanted to start a revolution they would be organizing groups to elect like-minded people for state legislatures, governorships, city councils, etc. in every election.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

what is this i dont even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvSDEQY3D8

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

moller posted:

Speaking of Moore: For your bad holiday movie needs I would (not) recommend David Zucker's An American Carol, starring Chris Farley's brother and every Hollywood conservative ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2BKVsjtnWs

Ah, the great tradition of American conservative "humor".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah it cannot be that its democrats who don't like how incompetent she is as a DNC chairwomen, in that certianly contributed to the 2014 disaster.

If she's so hated and considered incompetent outside of Internet whinefests, why is she still in power? Oh wait, it's because she isn't incompetent in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just arrived in FL to visit the family and spent an hour long car ride arguing with my Dad.

The highlights:

It's Obama's fault the parties are so divided and the Republicans won't work with him

The refugee and visa process are the same thing and regardless nothing in the government is ever rigorous (note does not actually know the process)

Muslims are dangerous because their religion is one of domination. After all there are no first world Muslim countries

Hates Trump and Cruz, would begrudgingly accept Rubio.

Need to find the liquor store, stat

• Locked thread