Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I'm a keyboard player. To be more specific, I am a FFXI keyboard player. I have built my gameplay experience completely around using the keyboard for everything. numpad is used for movement, arrow keys control the camera. I used A, S, D, and X to control the menu movements. and I have two rows of action bars for doing stuff. I've been using macros to switch my primary action bar between 3 different bars on my lower row. I even have g-keys on my Logitech G-510s keyboard mapped out.

Even with all that it is not enough to compare to a game controller player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He's right, keyboard only with no mouse is worse than controller.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Valle posted:

Btw, you do realize that when you "finish" story mode and hit 50, there's literally 100 more quests until you can start on Heavensward stuff, right? I just spent a week going from 2.0 to Heavensward (haven't played for nearly 2 years).

UUUUUGH

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Why are you complaining about still having the best part of the game left to do?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I know it was an OF post, but when I was taking bullet trains in Japan I played with no mouse and it worked surprisingly well for non-raid content. All my movement and abilities were around wasd on my left hand, so my right hand was free to constantly adjust the camera with arrow keys.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Don't just quest to the exclusion of everything else. Unlock and run the level 50 dungeons to break things up. Do the original relic chain up to Zenith level and see the trials. Hop into groups running Crystal Tower/Coil/EX primals.

Grinding nothing but a year and a half of patched in story quests is a lot to plow through. Check the other content they added as they went along!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

I actually know a guy who plays like this and he's one of the best MCH/BRDs I know. lovely attitude but still really good at shooting guys without a mouse.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

nuru posted:

I know it was an OF post, but when I was taking bullet trains in Japan I played with no mouse and it worked surprisingly well for non-raid content. All my movement and abilities were around wasd on my left hand, so my right hand was free to constantly adjust the camera with arrow keys.

That's...not exactly what this poster was doing, though. Look more closely at the details of their layout.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Goon last stand go go go!

Looks like it was a tie of 6, or did someone survive to the last 5/4/3/2/1?

Edit: VVVVVVV are you saying you haven't joined the goon free company yet? You should do this at level 1 since they can keep a 10/20% combat exp buff up pretty much all the time. Huge help for getting to 50/60 faster.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 22, 2015

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Tortolia posted:

Don't just quest to the exclusion of everything else. Unlock and run the level 50 dungeons to break things up. Do the original relic chain up to Zenith level and see the trials. Hop into groups running Crystal Tower/Coil/EX primals.

Grinding nothing but a year and a half of patched in story quests is a lot to plow through. Check the other content they added as they went along!

Ive been bashing my face into the story mode for the past week. I assume I will hit 60 at some point and try to get as much done on WHM without committing to premade group raiding and play dress up. I hope to one day not look like a literal clown. I will eventually get around to joining the Exodus group.

Valle posted:

Do note, doing the main storyline quests between 2.0 and Heavensward will deck you out in ilevel 110 gear. Pretty sure I got 70 and 90 as well in there, before that. So don't fret too much!

I bought a set of ah gear but it is the worst looking gear.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 22, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Do note, doing the main storyline quests between 2.0 and Heavensward will deck you out in ilevel 110 gear. Pretty sure I got 70 and 90 as well in there, before that. So don't fret too much!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Servers up, apparently they didn't need the extra one and a half hours after all.

I don't see any patch notes, though...

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Servers up, apparently they didn't need the extra one and a half hours after all.

I don't see any patch notes, though...

quote:

The following issue has been fixed:

・Summoning retainers would prevent the player from interacting with or summoning the retainers again.
・Under certain conditions, character names in the Friend List and Black List, as well as on sent and received letters would not be displayed properly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hey guys the relic grind isn't that bad just do this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3xsyiq/finished_relic_anima_pointers_for_those_still/

quote:

So the first thing I will mention is that the longest of the three grinds, is in fact the Law grind/Alexander Floor 3/Kobold Beast Tribes. Get this to 18 ore before you even consider working on any of the other content. I will also mention that speed farming A1/A3/A4 is the fastest method, but it requires both a skill and a DPS check that may not be possible for the average player.

Most of the progress I did first was by taking new players who had never done Binding Coil of Bahamut. Make sure their item level is 123 before you help them, so they can get through 1-13 seamlessly. This will get you 1,200 poetics per cycle and help a new player to the game experience what is IMHO the best story we have had thus far.

While extreme primals boast 100 poetic rewards, the time to attune/run/etc make it not logistically a positive method to speed up your grinding time. Stick to the 7 man party and pull in cycles of new players, most clears for T1-T13 will occur in under 3-5 minutes if your group knows what it is doing.

Now to the secret, The Hunt for Notorious Monsters. Allied Seals, Law, and Poetics simultaneously. You want to make sure that whatever content you do will allow you to either evacuate your current trial/duty/event, to make it to the hunt. Prioritize 2.0 hunts over 3.0, as the allied seal gain is the main importance of 2.0 Hunts. This will help you complete the material for A1 and A4.

It takes 5 days to do all 4 of the 2.0 Beast Tribe quests and get 1 piece, so if you're going to take more then 5 days doing the relic then you'll want to do 3 of each quest. Because of being level 60 you can complete the quest without getting aggro, even the annoying Sylphland quests of invisibility do not require invisibility.

Now to the smart farming methods. A1 is obvious, that you want to solo tank. You can bring in a second tank as DPS if you want to and stack both Oppressor and .5 on top of each other. Push is at 20% regardless of your DPS, and then you can burn it down. Alternatively if your DPS is no good, then you can do the poetic method above doing T1-T13.

A2 is completely bypassed due to poetics.

A3 can be cleared in 3 to 3.5 minutes by DPSing so that the water add phase is entirely skipped. We found that using 1 dragoon, 2 bards, 1 summoner, 1 black mage and a ninja. Paladin MT pulled in shield oath and did two rage of halone + shadewalker allowed the paladin to hold hate for most of the fight. We utilized a scholar and selene with fey wind, along with the double bards upkeeping the foe's throughout the entire fight (practically).

Paladin kept up halone at each major transition, and cycled hallowed ground towards the end of the double hand phase while upkeep of riot blade was 100% on both adds. Along with that pushing it to the final phase and completely skipping the add phase allowed us to have essentially 1 minute trash pulls, with 3 minute kills making this an extremely effective farm.

A4 we chose to utilize Dark Knight and Warrior, with the warrior main tanking and the Dark Knight as an off tank. DK could use plunge to quickly return to battle post-quarantine. (Though we usually pushed DPS to skip quarantine on 1st leg without any issues. Approximately 3.5 minutes without quarantine, 4.0 with. Group comp is negligible here, though we seemed to tend to end up with 4 melee counting the tanks and solo healing we chose to do White Mage.
The reason for 2 tanks was because if you solo tank and solo heal there is a risk the healer may get quarantined (lol)

Long and short of it, this grind isn't horrible, but it's more painful to the casual player. Don't get discouraged however and just put in your time.
I personally was doing every daily quest daily, all 4 beast tribes, and the farming to help me speed up the process. I hope this information makes your grind less painful, and good luck!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Reading that post was too much of a time commitment for me. Should I give up on the relic?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Meldonox posted:

Reading that post was too much of a time commitment for me. Should I give up on the relic?

No but don't expect it to be done in a week or two. It's going to take a while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meldonox posted:

That was the first test, by not reading it you have given up on the relic.

More seriously the main thing there is drag newbies through coil for ridiculous numbers of poetics.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I find it funny that they describe hunts as the best method being a "secret"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Every amazing efficient plan to game any relic step boils down to "have an absurd amount of expendable time".

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The third step of the relic is more something you'll chip away at over time. You don't need to get Alex farming parties together or do 2.x hunts, although they can help. Just do whatever is fun and burn your excess poetics and law on unidentifiable stuff. Keep doing the Vanu beastman dailies if you're leveling a class 50-60 and trade those tokens in too as needed. There's plenty of ways to get the tokens and it isn't designed to be something you get quickly. Don't burn yourself out trying to do hundreds of Alex runs.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

The third step of the relic is more something you'll chip away at over time. You don't need to get Alex farming parties together or do 2.x hunts, although they can help. Just do whatever is fun and burn your excess poetics and law on unidentifiable stuff. Keep doing the Vanu beastman dailies if you're leveling a class 50-60 and trade those tokens in too as needed. There's plenty of ways to get the tokens and it isn't designed to be something you get quickly. Don't burn yourself out trying to do hundreds of Alex runs.
see you in 2017 when you're done

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone interested in putting together a group to blitz through the 10 relic dungeons sometime today? My wife and I just got to the step, so we would just need a tank and another DPS.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd say somewhere in the ballpark of March/April (depending on how many days they play and how actively they play), for the majority of people who very casually chip away at a little bit of the third step every time they play, but aren't consistent about it.

For someone who plays most days, runs their beast tribe dailies and a few roulettes every day, and throws in some occasional hunts or Alexander, a more reasonable end goal is late January.

And, yes, as we've seen from Reddit posts, it's also possible to grind it out within a week of extremely active play.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

see you in 2017 when you're done

Maybe by then people will have quit whining about how they were FORCED to run Alex 800 times to get their relics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vil posted:

I'd say somewhere in the ballpark of March/April (depending on how many days they play and how actively they play), for the majority of people who very casually chip away at a little bit of the third step every time they play, but aren't consistent about it.

For someone who plays most days, runs their beast tribe dailies and a few roulettes every day, and throws in some occasional hunts or Alexander, a more reasonable end goal is late January.

And, yes, as we've seen from Reddit posts, it's also possible to grind it out within a week of extremely active play.

Unfortunately many newer people will not even be able to get beast tribe currency by late January.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hobbesmaster posted:

Unfortunately many newer people will not even be able to get beast tribe currency by late January.

If you do 3 quests by all 3 beast tribes daily, it takes 45 days to MAX the tribes. It takes roughly 25 days to get to tier 3 in all 4.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Nipponophile posted:

Maybe by then people will have quit whining about how they were FORCED to run Alex 800 times to get their relics.

No... People who want a relic but don't want to grind Alex 800 times will just quit. Game really doesn't have much else going for it right now.

The whole point of a subscription based game is that players can justify 15bux a month fee, against 15bux+ worth of content added.

Nothing was added this patch, only an incentive to re-do all the old content that has been fully played out.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So I've been waiting to get a large house for a very long time and have saved up a pile of money, probably more than I need. I'm planning on camping out on Christmas to try to get one. Unfortunately, I can really only camp one house effectively.

So I'm going to ask for some help. If you're on Excalibur, find a large house that's open, and I manage to get it, I will give you money. The exact amount will depend on how much I pay for the house, but I would expect the amount to be in the neighborhood of 20-30 million. As an additional bonus, anyone who's trying to find a large house for me at the time I get one will receive a smaller amount, depending on how much I have left and how many people are helping. Finally, once I get the house, I'll have additional contests and games throughout the day that will also reward piles of gil, items, etc.

If I don't manage to get a house, well, the offer will just remain open. Spot a large house open, let me know, if I get it, you get paid.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Pews posted:

Nothing was added this patch, only an incentive to re-do all the old content that has been fully played out.

That's every relic quest though? Did you not do the 2.x relics?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Any district or what not you're aiming for? I'm going to be camping out in Mist to get a medium house.

And also, on that note: my medium house in Goblet 1, Plot 12 will be freed up during the reclamation. It is right next to the PBC/DGKK houses, so stalk it if you want it.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Mordiceius posted:

Any district or what not you're aiming for? I'm going to be camping out in Mist to get a medium house.

And also, on that note: my medium house in Goblet 1, Plot 12 will be freed up during the reclamation. It is right next to the PBC/DGKK houses, so stalk it if you want it.

Any large house anywhere. I'll probably focus on goblet because there's less competition there. The Mist 5 (and I think 35?) spot is really nice, though, as are the houses that're just over the bridge in Lavender beds.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Just hit 50 on my warrior: http://www.ffxivpro.com/player/Excalibur/Hypatia-Eo :woop: Now I'm training PAL to 34 for all cross-class stuff.

What comes after that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

If you do 3 quests by all 3 beast tribes daily, it takes 45 days to MAX the tribes. It takes roughly 25 days to get to tier 3 in all 4.

Ok fine mid January.

I was indeed taking the number for maxing not tier 3 so that does make me feel slightly better at least.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

The 2.x patches had things to do other than relics, though.

I don't think I've seen anyone even talk about Verminion, most people who want to do it are done with Vanu Vanu and EX pope, and everyone stopped doing Diadem within days. The relic quest being something other than "do old poo poo again" was the last hope for something interesting in 3.1, even if it was a longshot.

Unless you want to pay $15/mo for Void Ark, I guess?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe there'd be less complaints about the relic if there was actually something to do in this expansion

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't want to do the relic now just wait for them to nerf it into the ground like they inevitably will. I didn't do relic for the longest time in 2.x and when I did get around to finishing it, I got a zeta in time for it to be useful in final coil.

So yea right now I'm happy watching people burn themselves out in an attempt to prove they are the most hardcore casuals around and no one can beat Alex normal like they can.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ArtIsResistance posted:

Maybe there'd be less complaints about the relic if there was actually something to do in this expansion

Also this

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Heads up, PSN added a shitload of free ff14 avatars for PS4. All the jobs, Scions, and even Hildy. Phone posting so I sadly can't give a link.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And if there was some sort of unique content for the relic. How hard would throwing together Chimera/Hydra Ex at the very least? Maybe a sentence after each dungeon instead of one sentence after 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

The 2.x patches had things to do other than relics, though.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm just playing devils advocate here (as I too feel like there is a dearth of content), but I'm curious what magical content you feel there was in the 2.x series that there isn't here.

Comparing 2.1 to 3.1

Somewhat comparable:
2.1 had bland story quests. 3.1 had the same.
2.1 had Good King Moggle Mog. 3.1 has Popedad.
2.1 had Hildibrand. 3.1 has the Scholerate.
2.1 had 3 new dungeons. 3.1 has 2.
2.1 had CT part 1. 3.1 has Void Ark.
2.1 had Sylph and Amalj'aa beast quests. 3.1 has Vanu Vanu.

Differences:
2.1 had extreme primals.
2.1 had Ultima EX. (I guess that's more comparable to Popedad than Mog)
2.1 had Wolves Den
3.1 had Lords of Verminion.
3.1 had Diadem

Honestly, it doesn't feel like there is too much difference. 2.1 had more a handful primal fights and one more dungeon. I'll take Lords of Verminion over Wolves Den. 3.1 has less content than 2.1, but it doesn't feel like it is massively less content.

• Locked thread