Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Can someone explain the appcmd syntax to me as far as unlocking an attribute?

I am writing a chef cookbook using https://github.com/chef-cookbooks/iis and I can unlock a section just fine using the iis_section module. It has an iis_config module that says you can give it 'What ever command you would pass in after "appcmd.exe set config"'

I want to unlock defaultPath in system.webServer/httpErrors but not set it to a specific value.

The developers gave me some setup instructions that install a bunch of crap we don't need so I am starting from scratch and working through each bit till the thing works. There might be other attributes I have to unlock so it could come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Are there any good free replacements for Steady State floating around yet? I played around with Reboot Restore Rx and it works as advertised, but I'd really like something with some kind of CLI for scripting updates to the baseline.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Gerdalti posted:

Office 2013 will NOT install while Visio 2013 is installed. Since Visio 2013 isn't part of the Office 2013 package, I need to uninstall it, and then re-install after the Office 2013 deployment (Unless there is something I'm missing).

That sounds a little strange to me. I can't speak to your exact situation because we use the MSI installers for everything but if the behavior is consistent then you should be able to install the Office suite after Visio as long as the architecture matches (x86 vs x64). Are they both click-to-run or is Visio installed by MSI? I have't done any testing with mixed Office installers.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Caf posted:

That sounds a little strange to me. I can't speak to your exact situation because we use the MSI installers for everything but if the behavior is consistent then you should be able to install the Office suite after Visio as long as the architecture matches (x86 vs x64). Are they both click-to-run or is Visio installed by MSI? I have't done any testing with mixed Office installers.

Interesting, I'll check tomorrow. Visio is a stand alone volume license version. Neither are "really" msi though, both installed with setup.exe /config config.xml

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caf posted:

The newer Click To Run Office packages don't play nice with MSI Visio/Project. 2013 apps are OK if they're installed AFTER O365 2013 CTR but if you try to repair the 2013 CTR Office it'll throw an error.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

skipdogg posted:

The newer Click To Run Office packages don't play nice with MSI Visio/Project. 2013 apps are OK if they're installed AFTER O365 2013 CTR but if you try to repair the 2013 CTR Office it'll throw an error.

That sounds like what I'm running in to. It's my solution the right one?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've got no background in Windows administration but I've taken over a Shoretel server running 2008 R2.

It hasn't had any patches for approx 2 years.

Are there any articles I can read about gracefully updating this server without killing everything and burning my office down around me?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
As of today Microsoft finally has a new sync app to replace their broken as gently caress OneDrive for Business client: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...&rs=en-US&ad=US

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

mewse posted:

I've got no background in Windows administration but I've taken over a Shoretel server running 2008 R2.

It hasn't had any patches for approx 2 years.

Are there any articles I can read about gracefully updating this server without killing everything and burning my office down around me?

if it's internal and working well I wouldn't touch a drat thing

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Roargasm posted:

I run a Shoretel server myself (Server 2003, even better....) and I'm knee-deep in ripping it out and replacing it with Polycoms and Cloud SIP. They are pretty solid but the support/licenses are expensive, the phones proprietary (at least I can buy them on eBay all day for $20 each), and the on-prem only server makes things in a pain in the rear end where remote workers can't use the communicator app or check voicemail, and it doesn't work well over VPN.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Roargasm posted:

...do you not patch your internal servers or am I reading this incorrectly

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's how I read it. Must be one of my coworkers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

If a Shoretel server fails, the phone system will continue to work, but you'll lose the ability to provision more phones, use voicemail, use the UC app, or host any 800-number type auto attendants on it until you get it back up. I'd wait until everyone has left for the day, clone the hard drive then update it and cross your fingers.

You do have a support contract with some sort of Shoretel provider, right?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

As of today Microsoft finally has a new sync app to replace their broken as gently caress OneDrive for Business client: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...&rs=en-US&ad=US

Not for 8.1 but available for 8? That's loving bullshit.

But definitely gonna test this for 10.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Is your voip traffic in the same network as your users/data? Different story and bigger problems if that's the case, but assuming a secure config then Id never risk bringing down my phone system unless there's an actual problem that needed solving. gently caress phones

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Roargasm posted:

Is your voip traffic in the same network as your users/data? Different story and bigger problems if that's the case, but assuming a secure config then Id never risk bringing down my phone system unless there's an actual problem that needed solving. gently caress phones

Why not just backup the server, then apply patches and test?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

If a Shoretel server fails, the phone system will continue to work, but you'll lose the ability to provision more phones, use voicemail, use the UC app, or host any 800-number type auto attendants on it until you get it back up. I'd wait until everyone has left for the day, clone the hard drive then update it and cross your fingers.

You do have a support contract with some sort of Shoretel provider, right?

Imaging the drive is a good idea and yeah we have a vendor, but they're useless.

Roargasm posted:

Same network :saddowns:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Moey posted:

Why not just backup the server, then apply patches and test?

The risk totally outweighs piece of mind or a pat on the back. If its just a config manager go nuts, but Ill leave the phones and any blame to a third party

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

Imaging the drive is a good idea and yeah we have a vendor, but they're useless.

It's rare I actually consider a vendor useful, but Harbor Networks has actually been great with our Shoretel system if you want to switch support. They answer the phone every time in about 10 second with one or two techs who know me by name and fix everything and order more licenses on the spot. They charge us about $10k a year for support on 500 phones: http://harbornetworks.com/

Jeoh posted:

Not for 8.1 but available for 8? That's loving bullshit.

But definitely gonna test this for 10.

I chuckled at that irony too... half my laptops are 8.1 and half are 10 and the only thing slowing down my migration to 10 is that everyone has sync issues on 8.1 so I have to hand-massage them in Sharepoint.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

mewse posted:

Same network :saddowns:

When we were labbing Avaya at my last job a high school student figured out how to snoop on calls with Wireshark. Good project for 2016 at least :)

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Why does this thread keep telling me there is one unread post and that it was killed by Roargasm. Perhaps if I post it will make it better (or there will be 2 new posts).

Quick Edit: Apparently it just wouldn't SHOW me Roargasm's last post until I posted.

To add content: The fact that Office 2013 Click-To-Run installer won't work with stand-alone versions of Project/Visio/etc. installed is the dumbest poo poo. Thanks Microsoft.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Ha that was bugging me too. I was trainposting on awful.app and went into a tunnel before it was done submitting :spooky:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
That annoyed me a lot yesterday.

I instinctively clicked on NEW REPLIES like 40 times even though I knew it was going to happen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Radium :argh:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I've been set on a task by the company vice president with regards to our SharePoint 2010 server. The Sales site has a list they call Hot Prospects, potential clients that will have big sales but aren't ready to pull the trigger. They want me to set up a workflow for this list that will generate an email every two weeks to the client's respective sales person to remind them to follow up with said client.

So far I've got the workflow attached to the list. It's sending the initial confirmation that a client has been added to the list to the person who generated the new item, and I've got the two week email set up, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the email to keep recurring so long as the item exists in in the hot prospects list. Right now I've got the workflow set to generate the email 2 weeks after creation (for new items) or 2 weeks after modification (for existing items) but that's dependent on our sales people actually going in and modifying it to reset the timer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Holy loving poo poo; I'm about to lose my mind.

Anytime I deploy a template to a SCVMM CSV-node, all iSCSI connections drop for that node, and the deployment fails.

There's a bunch of possible hotfixes abound, but MS is failing to send links when I request; using multiple emails on different platforms just to make sure it's not me. Apparently rollup 7 may have addressed the issue, but their "update catalog" failing to allow a download of anything. Furthermore, I caught an offhand comment to disable thin provisioning on LUNs, and sure enough - that seems to have solved the issue. It's not my ideal fix, but I'll take it in the interim.

WHY THE gently caress is Microsoft making it so hard to pull updates right now?? :ssj:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best way to deploy a GPO? For example, I want to...

• Set the Taskbar Buttons: Combine When Taskbar is Full
  • Customize Notification Icons: Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar

Google tells me the first options defined with...

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

DWORD TaskbarGlomLevel=1
The next one is already a GPO...

code:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Hide the notification area
Do I make a new GPO or do I just add these to the already existing Default Group Policy GPO? I've noticed this registry key doesn't exist do I just add the key manually?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best way to deploy a GPO? For example, I want to...

• Set the Taskbar Buttons: Combine When Taskbar is Full
  • Customize Notification Icons: Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar

Google tells me the first options defined with...

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

DWORD TaskbarGlomLevel=1
The next one is already a GPO...

code:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Hide the notification area
Do I make a new GPO or do I just add these to the already existing Default Group Policy GPO? I've noticed this registry key doesn't exist do I just add the key manually?

I would think it comes down to a few questions: Do you actually use the default user policy and not have any others linked at the highest level? Are these 2 settings going to apply to every user always? Does it make sense for it to be there, or do you have another GPO that also acts as a defacto default policy applied? If yes, I would guess they would be a good candidate for the default user policy. I don't see a reason to complicate things and cause longer processing times with multiple GPOs that are going to apply to all your users. What you want to avoid at the very top level GPOs is filtering of any kind because you should just be creating them at lower level OUs if they are going to only apply to certain groups of users.

If there is no actual GPO setting then, yes, you will have to make a straight registry edit. I'm not sure regarding that specific item. I think with reg edits what you want to do is set it to "Apply once and do not reapply", but this could be incorrect after doing some quick research, because apparently in 2008 there can be an issue where it will fail to apply but then won't try to re-apply, and there might be a straight "create" option so that it only re-applies when the key doesn't exist. I haven't done a lot with straight reg edits, most of those were already built into our GP so that might be slightly off.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Weird Group Policy issue.

I've got a GPO with some inbound port exceptions for the firewall.

When I view the GPO report, it shows a bunch of them, but when I go into the editor, some are missing.

How do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

I'm thinking Powershell, but Get-GPO -guid xxxx-xxxx.... Doesn't give me much.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

More GPO chat:
I'm testing a GPP that installs printers based on security group membership using item level targeting. I've got it set up as a computer side preference, and in my testing so far it's working...with one small issue: the printers get installed properly but a standard user account is unable to delete the printers, you get an "access denied" message when trying. If the same user adds the same printer manually, they can delete it afterwards, so the behavior only applies to the printers that are pushed out via group policy.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Weird Group Policy issue.

I've got a GPO with some inbound port exceptions for the firewall.

When I view the GPO report, it shows a bunch of them, but when I go into the editor, some are missing.

How do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

I'm thinking Powershell, but Get-GPO -guid xxxx-xxxx.... Doesn't give me much.

Anything showing up in event viewer? (windows logs--Application)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Mr. Clark2 posted:

More GPO chat:
I'm testing a GPP that installs printers based on security group membership using item level targeting. I've got it set up as a computer side preference, and in my testing so far it's working...with one small issue: the printers get installed properly but a standard user account is unable to delete the printers, you get an "access denied" message when trying. If the same user adds the same printer manually, they can delete it afterwards, so the behavior only applies to the printers that are pushed out via group policy.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Objects and settings created as a computer policy are applied with the SYSTEM account of the computer, which will make SYSTEM the owner of your printers. Admin rights are needed to adjust anything owned by SYSTEM by default. Either try checking the "Run in logged-on user's security context" option or try setting the printers using a user preference item. If you want to keep the the GPOs on computer OUs in AD then turn on loop back policy processing (Computer Policy\Admin Templates\System\Group Policy) and set it to merge.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Just posting to say I love GPO

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A magic, well thought out world. The world of GPO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has anyone been keeping up with Server 2016 developments, in particular the changes to SMBv3, Storage Spaces Direct etc.?

I am aware of cluster shared volumes at the moment where you can have two hosts accessing SAS disks in a JBOD enclosure and have Windows manage redundancy and tiering etc. for you, but the actual Hyper-V cluster was a physically separate box which has made a single-box Hyper-V solution not quite attainable outside of the SAS SAN stuff that the Dell VRTX does which has limited expandability and no tiering.

From what I understand, storage spaces direct will let a bunch of physical hosts cluster their direct-attach storage together, to scale storage out. Kind of how the EqualLogic stuff scales by adding nodes rather than just disk trays. What I haven't been able to work out yet is whether Server 2016 will allow (and by implication, support) these cluster members to also be Hyper-V hosts. I appreciate it's all kind of academic at the moment as it's not even launched, but does anyone have any insight into this?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I need to migrate 200 local user profiles to new AD accounts. Recommendations? I found a few registry changes, but I would prefer a tool or at least some form of automation to reduce the burden.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Accidentally pointed the "Import New Driver Wizard" at the root of our content share, which is over a terabyte. I'll be stuck at "Validating file permissions and getting driver attributes" until approximately forever.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

the spyder posted:

I need to migrate 200 local user profiles to new AD accounts. Recommendations? I found a few registry changes, but I would prefer a tool or at least some form of automation to reduce the burden.

Disclaimer: I haven't used this for a number of years, nor on so many accounts(unsure if its scriptable)
https://www.forensit.com/downloads.html

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't used this for a number of years, nor on so many accounts(unsure if its scriptable)
https://www.forensit.com/downloads.html

I used this regularly and it's great but I never scripted it, just used gui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Until recently I created my reference image on a physical machine and had no problems deploying this image to workstations using MDT. I have recently switched to using a VM to create the reference image using a copy of win 7 pro downloaded from Microsoft's VLSC. I can create and capture the image without issue but I'm running up against a problem with licensing.
We purchase each workstation with an OEM license for windows 7 pro. I image the machines with the same edition of windows as what we purchase with the machine, but the newly created reference image will not activate. When I try to activate it, I get a DNS error saying that it cant find the server. Running slmgr /ato generates the same error.
So it looks like the new reference image is not pulling the OEM key from the BIOS, and is instead trying to activate using an internal KMS, which we do not currently have.
Older reference images that I've created from a physical machine do not have this problem, they deploy and activate with no fuss.
Is there some way to get the new reference image to use the OEM key from the BIOS to activate? Hopefully this is all kosher as googling for answers gives me conflicting information.