Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
You're right! My bad. I'm liking it so far though. I'm pretty excited for the new releases though I wish MtA 2nd ed would hurry up and get here soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hunter:
One huge lesson I learned is that a hunter is never just a Hunter. They need to have something of a normal life.
My group gets around this by being career criminals and sometimes kill supernatural creatures unjustly just so they can sell their stuff. They also live in a weird bunker that is owned by their mentor who could die any day and some real nasties know where they live.

If they had to maintain a job and maybe family, it would cause a lot of fun drama and offer up some great plot hooks. These guys were kinda thrown into the Compact tier on accident because I've never run the setting before.

Has anyone here run a Conspiracy tier for long? It sounds like too much politics and not enough murdering.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My particular Hunter taste of choice is VASCU, which neatly handles a lot of the potential issues. Your day job is your hunt, because you're an FBI agent. Your problem isn't politics: it's being the guy who plays by the book, who goes for the arrest and not the kill. You have a family, probably, but that's good fun plot hooks! Your problem is that, well, you're an FBI agent.

Oh, and also that you have to wait for a crime to be committed. Being a vampire is not actually illegal, after all, though it's a good reason to investigate someone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Cable posted:

I might insert some normal humans that just notice weird stuff, and I might give the HRG a read to use some of the stuff. I like oWoD metaplot but I use it extremely loosely in my games.
Go buy it and read it right now, I don't care if you use it or not but it's really truly and sincerely the best-and-only piece of in-universe fiction I've ever recommended to people outside of the hobby to just straight-up read as epistolary fiction anthology.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I seem to remember Hunter the Reckoning getting a really rocky reception because it had been billed as regular dudes vs the WoD. (Which, yes, is the H:tV premise.) But then the heroes were a lot more Marvel b-list than relatable.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

moths posted:

I seem to remember Hunter the Reckoning getting a really rocky reception because it had been billed as regular dudes vs the WoD. (Which, yes, is the H:tV premise.) But then the heroes were a lot more Marvel b-list than relatable.

There's a big conflict between the tone the text presents, which is more skewed towards the former and what the art shows, which is the latter. It is the OWoD after all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There were other issues. I'm paraphrasing myself from last summer, but Reckoning was the start of the World of Darkness' tie-in to Exalted (The Imbued were supposed to be Solars). They very quickly realized how bad an idea that was and dropped the plan from both games, but it irrevocably messed up the concept. The were also using it as a replacement/sequel for Wraith, as I recall ghosts and zombies were one of the few things you could fight without getting rekt.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Vigil is definitely scarier than Reckoning, precisely because you don't have the Messenger to use as an excuse for your rapid descent into murder and mutilation.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Vigil is definitely scarier than Reckoning, precisely because you don't have the Messenger to use as an excuse for your rapid descent into murder and mutilation.

Hunt Beasts, problem solved.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

But now I have Beasts in my game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

crime fighting hog posted:

Randomly found this podcast just now

http://networkzero.podbean.com/

I'm only aware of Darker Days for WoD podcasts, so I'm giving this a listen!

Network Zero is the "CofD only" arm of Darker Days, there's also Midnight Express which focuses only on the "Old World of Darkness"
http://midnightexpress.podbean.com/

Mors Rattus posted:

Have them run into Vampires and Werewolves and everyone else who joins up to Kill the Beasts.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Isn't this precisely Beast's approach to the monstrance or whatever it's called?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Have them run into Vampires and Werewolves and everyone else who joins up to Kill the Beasts.

this still does not solve the basic problem of 'I have included Beasts in my game'

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, but serving their proper role as antagonists as the God Machine intended.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

Yes, but serving their proper role as antagonists as the God Machine intended.

Their proper role is in a dumpster as trash.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Isn't this precisely Beast's approach to the monstrance or whatever it's called?

Sort of?

In response to people saying that Heroes were actually pretty sympathetic as villains and would probably be better Protags than Beasts are, the Heroes chapter of the Beast Book has them acting like Natty-Ice swilling Dudebros high fiving each other over all the beasts they killed. Followed by a section informing you that "No see they're all really bad people cause they have low integrity. If you want to play an actually heroic hero maybe you should play Hunter and shut up."

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kurieg posted:

Network Zero is the "CofD only" arm of Darker Days, there's also Midnight Express which focuses only on the "Old World of Darkness"
http://midnightexpress.podbean.com/

I'll give that a listen, too! Thanks

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Kurieg posted:

Sort of?

In response to people saying that Heroes were actually pretty sympathetic as villains and would probably be better Protags than Beasts are, the Heroes chapter of the Beast Book has them acting like Natty-Ice swilling Dudebros high fiving each other over all the beasts they killed. Followed by a section informing you that "No see they're all really bad people cause they have low integrity. If you want to play an actually heroic hero maybe you should play Hunter and shut up."

While we're ragging on Beast, I had a chance to look over some of the changes and it's amazing how they try to get around the whole Heroes being sympathetic thing. The most notable is Melanie, the young girl attacked by a Beast and left in a coma who now goes out Heroing in the dream world, basically she's the best character in the entire book. Having been the center of the, Heroes are sympathetic argument, they've made some massive changes to her. She was no longer attacked by a Beast directly, but by the rampaging dream monster thing Beast have for souls, to try and get the Beast off the hook for attacking her. Then they imply that she probably should have actually ended up as a Beast, but got stuck as a Hero through a fluke of fate, so don't worry you can redeem this one Hero to the good side by getting her Soul devoured by a nightmare monster.

I don't even really care about these changes, it's just fascinating to me to watch them desperately try to unfuck Beast without addressing any of the underlying issues.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The big thing to keep in mind about Reckoning is that the Imbued are still technically mortals. The Sight and their Edges aren't a part of them, it's all been bolted on aftermarket and is essentially invisible to supernatural perception unless they're actively getting their Magical Murder Time on. This is why you get incidents like the one mentioned in one of the Vampire clanbooks where some Toreador enslaves the latest monster hunter to come after her only to one day have him sort of shake his head clear, pick up a candlestick, and cut her in half with it- unless the Imbued in question is actively using an Edge or the Sight, they're for all intents and purposes regular nobody mortals who happen to be in on some poo poo they'd probably rather not know about. And the game works best when this is played up- use Call of Cthulhu as your model and IMO you'll get the most out of it.

Kavak posted:

The were also using it as a replacement/sequel for Wraith, as I recall ghosts and zombies were one of the few things you could fight without getting rekt.

End of Empire for Wraith and Walking Dead for Hunter cover this. The near-simultaneous detonations of the ghosts of Little Boy and Fat Man which kicked off the Sixth Great Maelstrom also blew hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of Wraiths across the Shroud and mostly into inanimate objects- a bunch of them got kicked into corpses, sometimes but not always their own, and that's where the zombies that are all over Reckoning come from. If memory serves that's what really incites the Messengers to start Imbuing people- ghosts and zombies are really supposed to be the default Reckoning antagonist.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Denim Avenger posted:

While we're ragging on Beast, I had a chance to look over some of the changes and it's amazing how they try to get around the whole Heroes being sympathetic thing. The most notable is Melanie, the young girl attacked by a Beast and left in a coma who now goes out Heroing in the dream world, basically she's the best character in the entire book. Having been the center of the, Heroes are sympathetic argument, they've made some massive changes to her. She was no longer attacked by a Beast directly, but by the rampaging dream monster thing Beast have for souls, to try and get the Beast off the hook for attacking her. Then they imply that she probably should have actually ended up as a Beast, but got stuck as a Hero through a fluke of fate, so don't worry you can redeem this one Hero to the good side by getting her Soul devoured by a nightmare monster.

I don't even really care about these changes, it's just fascinating to me to watch them desperately try to unfuck Beast without addressing any of the underlying issues.

I'm sitting on a fairly large analysis of Beast's mechanical problems for when it's released in full, just in case they address anything I talk about. I might post it here, or in Fatal and Friends. It started when I looked through Beast for what went right and wrong, in order to rework it or homebrew it or just pillage it for ideas, and found that the mechanics actively (if unwittingly) contribute to the dissonance in the fluff. The mechanics don't actually incentivize the behavior that the writing implies they do.

The brief preview is that Beast's problems ultimately boil down to two core issues. First, Satiety is an extremely interesting experiment with Storyteller's design tropes that didn't go so well when put into practice. Second, while most of the game's pieces are perfectly fine (or at least serviceable) in isolation, putting them all together magnifies their latent flaws, especially when introduced to the pieces that are not fine.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Speaking of bad WoD games, has anyone seen any hints about what their plans are for C20? The Kickstarter page is full of fluff and what content there is is reused from old editions - have they said at all whether they plan to make changes to the system or setting?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

Speaking of bad WoD games, has anyone seen any hints about what their plans are for C20? The Kickstarter page is full of fluff and what content there is is reused from old editions - have they said at all whether they plan to make changes to the system or setting?

I am fairly certain that they will make any changes necessary to get at that sweet, sweet otherkin* money.

*'s parent's

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Pope Guilty posted:

If memory serves that's what really incites the Messengers to start Imbuing people- ghosts and zombies are really supposed to be the default Reckoning antagonist.

Yes. Also remember that the 6th Maelstrom is the one that cracks the Abyss and lets some Demons out, and that the Week of Nightmares had happened just some months before. It's stated in the book that Imbued are rare before 1999, which is a bummer since it prevents you from using the line in a historical setting (without destroying canon).

Kavak posted:

There were other issues. I'm paraphrasing myself from last summer, but Reckoning was the start of the World of Darkness' tie-in to Exalted (The Imbued were supposed to be Solars). They very quickly realized how bad an idea that was and dropped the plan from both games, but it irrevocably messed up the concept. The were also using it as a replacement/sequel for Wraith, as I recall ghosts and zombies were one of the few things you could fight without getting rekt.

The Exalted/Reckoning tie in is hinted at, but as you said yourself, they realized it was a bad idea so it can be completely ignored. The replacement/sequel for Wraith was more Orpheus than Reckoning IMO, although Reckoning shines when it's against the effects of the maelstrom.

Cable fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 22, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cable posted:

The Exalted/Reckoning tie in is hinted at, but as you said yourself, they realized it was a bad idea so it can be completely ignored. The replacement/sequel for Wraith was more Orpheus than Reckoning IMO, although Reckoning shines when it's against the effects of the maelstrom.

Orpheus was also half in/half out of the World of Darkness. I think they wanted to do a real followup to Wraith that wasn't attached to Reckoning's baggage, because it ran out of steam fast.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Orpheus was intended as a short run with little or no crossover between the other lines (except Wraith, obviously). I feel like that focus (plus the late oWoD mechanics) really helped it as a setting.

The same could be said about Demon the Fallen, too. That and some of the Dark Ages stuff also came out in this weird twilight /swan song period of really great oWoD.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
:siren:Hunter 2E Open Dev has started!:siren:

First update is about what to do with everyone's favorite compact! Valentinelli put forward three general options and opened the comments section for debate.

Monica Valentinelli posted:

No Change: First, we can keep Ashwood Abbey mostly “as is” with few changes per my above-quoted text. This wouldn’t be impossible to do, but it wouldn’t be my preferred option.

Blending the Two: Second, we can reinforce that it’s a challenging time to be a member of the Ashwood Abbey. A growing number of hunters are fleeing to join the Hunt Club, and other hunters are not only confusing the two groups, they are actively keeping tabs on them for fear they might be slashers, etc. This means that the Hunt Club would also be included in the Slasher Chronicle, and would take the place of a new antagonist. By far, this is the safest route to take.

Major Update: Or, third: we turn Ashwood Abbey into antagonists who’ve been taken over by the Hunt Club, and design/use a new compact to take their place. By doing so, Hunter’s version of the Hellfire Club wouldn’t be as much of an outlier for this book, and we can use or create a more appropriate compact that’s more interested in dealing with the overall mystery and has the potential to work with other compacts. (Please keep in mind that VASCU, which first appeared in Slasher, is a conspiracy.) This is a more inventive option that would allow for a new compact based someplace new, such as Brazil, Nigeria, Japan, etc.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 3, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Door number three please, Ashwood Abbey sucks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Will anyone in the universe pick option 1?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my god number 3 please.

Edit: Ashwood is an interesting group but the fact that they are so reckless and perverse makes them feel like anti-heroes at best.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 22, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The Abbey will look up and ask "Would you gently caress a man who could fly?"

And I'll look down and whisper, "No."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prison Warden posted:

Will anyone in the universe pick option 1?
reminder that Beast as first presented was a thing some people were actually interested in playing.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
The only time the Abbey ever worked in games I've played is when they had their douchebag nature dialed way back to the point where they were morally dubious comic relief that still had standards. Which basically meant they weren't really the Abbey anymore.

So, yeah, option 3, if only because this gives me hope there will be a similar option for the Ascending Ones that throws them out entirely and replaces them with VASCU.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

reminder that Beast as first presented was a thing some people were actually interested in playing.

Not really? Most of the reception I saw around release was lukewarm at best. Usually hovering around "Isn't another gameline doing this already?" People started to actively hate it once they started making GBS threads on Heroes and talking at length about how everyone wanted to be the Beasts' best friend.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think you're forgetting both the initial backer comments and the backlash when they tried to make Beast more palatable.

(Plus it funded, and stayed funded, in something like a day.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

Not really? Most of the reception I saw around release was lukewarm at best. Usually hovering around "Isn't another gameline doing this already?" People started to actively hate it once they started making GBS threads on Heroes and talking at length about how everyone wanted to be the Beasts' best friend.
Note that I said "some" in relation to the question involving "anyone in the universe". Not a lot of people, of course; but there were people of a quantity in excess of 0.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

I think you're forgetting both the initial backer comments and the backlash when they tried to make Beast more palatable.

(Plus it funded, and stayed funded, in something like a day.)

I'm talking about the early spoilers before the kickstarter.

Yawgmoth posted:

Note that I said "some" in relation to the question involving "anyone in the universe". Not a lot of people, of course; but there were people of a quantity in excess of 0.

By that same metric there are people who like it more now because it shits on heroes and sets up their perfect otherkin mary sues as infallable.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm surprised the Bear Lodge didn't come up in that post because, like, they were Ashwood Abbey done right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Daeren posted:

The only time the Abbey ever worked in games I've played is when they had their douchebag nature dialed way back to the point where they were morally dubious comic relief that still had standards. Which basically meant they weren't really the Abbey anymore.

So, yeah, option 3, if only because this gives me hope there will be a similar option for the Ascending Ones that throws them out entirely and replaces them with VASCU.

Why would you want to get rid of one of the best Conspiracy? Ascending Ones are loving great.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Ascending Ones suffer from being three largely unrelated groups thrown together in a chaotic mess; the best things about them are their (essentially irrelevant) backstory and the attempt by one of the later books to address the fact that they are, in fact, three disparate groups with little tie to one another besides alchemy. I think they can be fixed but that is a definite, ah, structural flaw.

That said I still love parts of them, like the fact that the religious dudes spend most of their time playing Monster Diplomat rather than strict killing, as long as they have a chance of saving more people by doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I kind of like the fact that they're sort of halfway into splintering into three distinct groups, but not quite there yet. The cell structure one of the books presents for them was also neat, and actually kind of tied together how to keep such disparate parts intertwined.

Elixirs as presented are hot poo poo, though, so I hope that gets rectified.