Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Is there some reason people think Snoke is someone from the past and not just a new villain?

He would still pretty much be a new villain because all we know about Darth Plagueis is that he's some guy who mastered life and death, and Palpatine was his student.

It's a neat starting point for a character, but vague enough to work with as they wish, and ties the prequels in ever so slightly. I'd like it better than Snoke just being The Emperor's New, But Still Really loving Decrepit Groove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

I'm still not sure why you'd hide her on an imperial world to hide her from Snoke, instead of somewhere else that isn't under their control.

I am convinced Snoke and Kylo know she is on Jakku. It is probably they who put her there and Luke who doesn't know where she is.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Motto posted:

According to other posters summarizing supplementary material, Jakku is the site where the Rebellion struck the finishing blow to the Empire. I imagine it's some middle-of-nowhere planet like Tatooine whose only resource of value is leftover battle wreckage.

It was the last time the Empire had the military forces capable of standing in a pitched battle against the New Republic military, which had become flush with defectors and such.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

There is no note in the wiki about "Why Jakku?" but a few notes that the battle was fought in space, atmosphere and on ground.

Anyway, the big takeaways from the battle seemed to be that 1) the Republic had learned the Empire fights in a certain way (counting on a clear tactical & combat power advantage) and lacked adaptability, exploitable by defector-provided intel and 2) the Republic was pretty damned tired of fighting and it's a good thing they won this battle because they basically sued for peace immediately afterwards and tried hard as they could to wish away the entire drat thing so they could go back to space chess and deathsticks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snoke is totally gonna body-snatch Kylo Ren eventually.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
I just saw the film and I'm pretty letdown. This film is terribly overrated. There's no way it lands on anything higher than a 7.5 on any kind of rating meter anywhere, which marks it just below A New Hope in turns of good films but the way they set things up makes me think there's not much hope for the second film to get that much better.

I get it people have a boner for Star Wars but how many time can they use basically what are the exact same plot points to make a film. We've blown 3 big space blowey up machineamajigs in these films by now and it's not like it's getting anymore interesting as time goes on. Especially if rebels keep figuring out how to blow them up in the space of an hour.

And what really kind of pisses me off about the movies is that they kind of trivialize what Luke, and Han, and the Rebel army did in the first 3 films because it's only 30 years later and we have the same kind of loving situation with a bunch of lovely rebel (oh I'm sorry resistance) gunships fighting against a much more powerful imperial army in a losing under dog battle.

This makes no sense. It really doesn't. If anything the Rebels should be in the powerful position and the First Order should be the weak ones. This rag-tag underdog bullcrap gets really old - especially if you watch the first three films and the new one back to back like I did.

Also we get it - the empire in Star Wars = Nazis but did they really have to go that over the top? It was just..childish. No subtlety in any of it.

Very little subtlety in the film everything is bombastic - characters of characters- from the Maz character (is this supposed to be Bea Arthur's character from the Christmas Special? Because it feels like Bea Arthur's characters from the christmas specia.l) there are no loving bumbly wumbly - oh you dear soul - sweet mother like characters in Star Wars. There's loving Yoda who makes fun of you and acts like an rear end in a top hat to get his points across. This feels so loving out of place.

They really needed to go somewhere new to get me on board with this. They haven't. It feels like a rehash of a rehash. District 9 had more subtlety than this film. And better pacing.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Wank posted:

Got to be this. When force users have incest babies you don't get birth defects but over-powered force users. This is their destiny.

So in Episode VIII we'll get a flashback to the Knights of Ren killing Luke's pupils, and they get driven off by 5-year-old Rey who is the Force equivalent of the kid from Looper. Luke decides that someone so powerful at such a young age is too dangerous or whatever but he can't bring himself to kill her. So he stashes her on a horrible backwoods garbage planet. The look on his face at the end of the movie is him recognizing her and thinking, "Oh poo poo she escaped."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They would have probably been able to be more adventurous but one of their primary jobs was probably "make a decent Star Wars film that will soothe all the nerdlords so we don't sink our $4bn acquisition right out of the gate."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

CalmDownMate posted:

I just saw the film and I'm pretty letdown. This film is terribly overrated. There's no way it lands on anything higher than a 7.5 on any kind of rating meter anywhere, which marks it just below A New Hope in turns of good films but the way they set things up makes me think there's not much hope for the second film to get that much better.

I get it people have a boner for Star Wars but how many time can they use basically what are the exact same plot points to make a film. We've blown 3 big space blowey up machineamajigs in these films by now and it's not like it's getting anymore interesting as time goes on. Especially if rebels keep figuring out how to blow them up in the space of an hour.

And what really kind of pisses me off about the movies is that they kind of trivialize what Luke, and Han, and the Rebel army did in the first 3 films because it's only 30 years later and we have the same kind of loving situation with a bunch of lovely rebel (oh I'm sorry resistance) gunships fighting against a much more powerful imperial army in a losing under dog battle.

This makes no sense. It really doesn't. If anything the Rebels should be in the powerful position and the First Order should be the weak ones. This rag-tag underdog bullcrap gets really old - especially if you watch the first three films and the new one back to back like I did.

Also we get it - the empire in Star Wars = Nazis but did they really have to go that over the top? It was just..childish. No subtlety in any of it.

Very little subtlety in the film everything is bombastic - characters of characters- from the Maz character (is this supposed to be Bea Arthur's character from the Christmas Special? Because it feels like Bea Arthur's characters from the christmas specia.l) there are no loving bumbly wumbly - oh you dear soul - sweet mother like characters in Star Wars. There's loving Yoda who makes fun of you and acts like an rear end in a top hat to get his points across. This feels so loving out of place.

They really needed to go somewhere new to get me on board with this. They haven't. It feels like a rehash of a rehash. District 9 had more subtlety than this film. And better pacing.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Barudak posted:

Snoke is totally gonna body-snatch Kylo Ren eventually.

mark my words, snoke is like 3 feet tall, dude is gonna ride Kylo Ren around like a darkside yoda.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Also apparently I should feel bad that Han Solo dies but the movie makes out such a great point of how much of a idiotic loser he has become over the course of the film that it really feel like great loss.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

CalmDownMate posted:

One of your complaints is that a new character isn't more like Yoda and the rest are that it's all rehashed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was Jakku under anybody's control? I thought it was too much of a poo poo-hole to really warrant that kind of permanent attention.

Like Motto said there was a big space battle there that the republic won (off the back of that they did the whole peace treaty thing I think), but before that the empire had a secret weapons place there. The battle was a year after endor, so it would have happened before Rey got dumped there. On the map they released Jakku is off to the left of the galatic center, all the big fancy worlds are pretty much to the right side.

This is the map that they put out a month or two back. Jakku is off to the left, the starkiller base is in the top left. Hosnian Prime is what they blew up I think.
http://newmediarockstars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/star-wars-new-galaxy-map-160952.jpg

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Wank posted:

I am convinced Snoke and Kylo know she is on Jakku. It is probably they who put her there and Luke who doesn't know where she is.

that makes no sense, why would they both pretend not to know that she was force sensitive, and if they really didn't know she was adept in the force or linked to skywalker they would have no reason to hide her in the first place so why the gently caress go through all the effort? Rei was a suprise to both of them.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

JesustheDarkLord posted:

One of your complaints is that a new character isn't more like Yoda and the rest are that it's all rehashed.

No my complaint is that the new character feels like a defenseless good for nothing in a very high tech universe. She's too nice. No one's ever loving nice in star wars. She doesn't fit in with Star Wars very well if she's supposed to have some major smuggling den and there's like zero guards, laser turrets, or even a radar protecting her Den. She's supposed to be a loving pirate. Remember when Jabba was throwing women into pits to die to a monster for his own pleasure and had a bunch of guys laughting around him. Those are generally what pirates act like in this universe and you got some kind of Big Mommas House character here it's weird.

I don't want the character to be Yoda. I want it to make sense in the universe and it doesn't make sense because I could see a group of ten soldiers plundering that trading post pretty loving easily. That set felt really loving weird.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

No my complaint is that the new character feels like a defenseless good for nothing in a very high tech universe. She's too nice. No one's ever loving nice in star wars. She doesn't fit in with Star Wars very well if she's supposed to have some major smuggling den and there's like zero guards, laser turrets, or even a radar protecting her Den. She's supposed to be a loving pirate. Remember when Jabba was throwing women into pits to die to a monster for his own pleasure and had a bunch of guys laughting around him. Those are generally what pirates act like in this universe and you got some kind of Big Mommas House character here it's weird.

I don't want the character to be Yoda. I want it to make sense in the universe and it doesn't make sense because I could see a group of ten soldiers plundering that trading post pretty loving easily. That set felt really loving weird.

Han is also established as a pirate and last I checked the falcon didnt have a rancor den basement in it soooooo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maz's Castle is more Dex's Diner than Jabba's Den.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

that makes no sense, why would they both pretend not to know that she was force sensitive, and if they really didn't know she was adept in the force or linked to skywalker they would have no reason to hide her in the first place so why the gently caress go through all the effort? Rei was a suprise to both of them.

Did they though? I might be wrong but they were only surprised that she could resist Kylo. Not that she could use the force. The language they use about her is much different than if she was, really, a random girl found on a backwater.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think Rey has to be related to anyone necessarily. She could just be the last survivor of Luke's Jedi academy. The loss of all his students and his nephew turning to the dark side destroyed Luke, so he dumped Rey off on Jakku where he figured she'd be safe and went into self-imposed exile. Then, at the end of The Force Awakens, he's so obviously disturbed to see Rey again because her standing there, thrusting the symbol of a Jedi at him, must feel like an accusation.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Han is also established as a pirate and last I checked the falcon didnt have a rancor den basement in it soooooo

No, but he's got a ship full of rathtars and he chucked that one dude right into one of their mouths pretty fuckin' quick.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 22, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's true guys. Kenobi has a family member in episode VII

http://moviepilot.com/posts/1221007

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I saw the film tonight.

I felt great while watching it, then after I got out of the theater I think I realized I didn't remember much of anything that happened beyond Black Storm Trooper is straight up coolest dude and wishing that pilot had been Kyle Katarn and not some loving new schlub. The film was loving New Hope with very little actually changed story structure wise. I'd like to hope that the next film would be something actually new, but I seriously can't hope for that at all.

Meanwhile, I'm more excited for the Harry and Tonto DVD I'll be getting for christmas than I am a film I was SUPPOSED to be hyped up for. Instead, I'd really rather watch a really calm film about an old guy and his cat running away from home and travelling cross-country with weirdos.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Wank posted:

Did they though? I might be wrong but they were only surprised that she could resist Kylo. Not that she could use the force. The language they use about her is much different than if she was, really, a random girl found on a backwater.

The second Snoke heard that she had any force attenuation whatsoever he demanded Kylo bring her in for training. If he knew she was force sensitive before that the only reason to leave her with Kylo would be to have him evaluate her and given that even Kylo's training is nowhere near finished there would be no reason for Snoke just to farm that out unless he is holoprojecting from the short star destroyer.

Phylodox posted:

No, but he's got a ship full of rathtars and he chucked that one dude right into one of their mouths pretty fuckin' quick.

He wasn't holding on to those for intimidation, they were just shady cargo that happened to have teeth, he wasn't storing them to throw uncooperative performers to.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Spaceman Future! posted:

But Han did shoot first.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CalmDownMate posted:

But Han did shoot first.

Yeah, again, I felt like Han just casually chucking that dude into the rathtar's mouth was an attempt to re-capture that "Han shot first" magic. He's fuckin' stone cold when he needs to be.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
FYI in case you were confused as to the current political situation:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

CalmDownMate posted:

But Han did shoot first.

Thats just practical, not malicious. Anyway the little old lady alien you are bitching about was surrounded by heavily armed mercenaries and kept exotic munitions in her basement she wasn't exactly relying on the kindness of strangers.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Leia isn't a natural politician? Her mother was and her adopted father - that's odd.

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Goffer posted:

FYI in case you were confused as to the current political situation:

They're gonna need a New New Republic after this movie. :newlol:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZypherIM posted:

Like Motto said there was a big space battle there that the republic won (off the back of that they did the whole peace treaty thing I think), but before that the empire had a secret weapons place there. The battle was a year after endor, so it would have happened before Rey got dumped there. On the map they released Jakku is off to the left of the galatic center, all the big fancy worlds are pretty much to the right side.

This is the map that they put out a month or two back. Jakku is off to the left, the starkiller base is in the top left. Hosnian Prime is what they blew up I think.
http://newmediarockstars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/star-wars-new-galaxy-map-160952.jpg

For anyone that plays the Bioware games. Muroband is Korriban the birthplace of the Sith. It's name got changed in the 4000 years since the games took place. (They were originally going to call it Korriban but Lucas like Muroband better. But they straight up said that the planet has been around long enough that it's name got mixed up and changed.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

enraged_camel posted:

Only the capital was destroyed. (And the capitals moons.) They would have plenty of member planets left along with the Old capitals. It's also unlikely that all Senate members were on the planet when it blew up. Its likely this is going to lead to straight up war with the First Order.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Finally, it's Borsk Fey'lya's time to shine!

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
The biggest thing that sucks about this movie is that it is basically a gently caress you to the Star Wars prophesy and everything Luke did in the first films. Wasn't he supposed to be the chosen one that was supposed to bring balance to the force? Force isn't looking very loving balanced here. I thought the third film was Return of the Jedi - not failure of them for the next 30 years allowing more Sith to appear out of loving no where.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Only the capital was destroyed. (And the capitals moons.) They would have plenty of member planets left along with the Old capitals. It's also unlikely that all Senate members were on the planet when it blew up. Its likely this is going to lead to straight up war with the First Order.

Well, according to this, which provides lots of backstory, the location of the Senate rotates among member planets. So yeah, most if not almost all of the Senate was destroyed in that attack, along with the fleet.

That's why there are no Resistance/Republic capital ships in the final battle. They're all gone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CalmDownMate posted:

The biggest thing that sucks about this movie is that it is basically a gently caress you to the Star Wars prophesy and everything Luke did in the first films. Wasn't he supposed to be the chosen one that was supposed to bring balance to the force? Force isn't looking very loving balanced here. I thought the third film was Return of the Jedi - not failure of them for the next 30 years allowing more Sith to appear out of loving no where.

Calm down mate. One, Luke was not the chosen one that was Vader and he succeed when he died and tossed Palpatine into the reactor. Two, Ren is not a sith and we really don't know Snoke's deal yet.

enraged_camel posted:

Well, according to this, which provides lots of backstory, the location of the Senate rotates among member planets. So yeah, most if not almost all of the Senate was destroyed in that attack, along with the fleet.

That's why there are no Resistance/Republic capital ships in the final battle. They're all gone.

Plus they are not even close to being in the same area of space. But yeah the Republic would be super weakened by this. The member planets can always replace their senators and some senators were probably off planet, but most were probably killed. The loss of most if not all of their main fleet is bad. But it can be replaced by member planets pitching in. But yeah Republic is really weakened.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 22, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Calm down mate. One, Luke was not the chosen one that was Vader and he succeed when he died and tossed Palpatine into the reactor. Two, Ren is not a sith and we really don't know Snoke's deal yet.

No, no. Let him rage. He will be our very own Sith.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

Great username/post combo here.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Canonical inconsistencies lead to hate...

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
I do like how this movie basically copies the Extended Universe books plotline but Han and Leia had way more kids.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

CalmDownMate posted:

We do not know who or what Snoke is, but they have been pretty clearly saying that Kylo Ren and the rest of the antagonists won't be Sith. We can safely assume that the Sith are dead forever.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

spacetoaster posted:

It's true guys. Kenobi has a family member in episode VII

http://moviepilot.com/posts/1221007

I'm glad Obi-Wan's adopted kid with Dexter Jettster is featured in this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CalmDownMate posted:

I haven't rewatched RotS myself to confirm, but I recall someone saying that a source of conflict between Anakin and the Council in that film was that the possibility the prophecy was misinterpreted, and the Jedi therefore became much more wary of Anakin. In that case the prophecy is effectively meaningless.

• Locked thread