Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Is she the one that wore the mask?

Shaw's servent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Shaw's servent

Yep that's who I'm thinking off. I guess she saw Lelands outfit and said "yea, I'm just going to wear a mask over the lower part of my face rather than looking like that'.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wikipedia's article on Angel/Archangel is seriously out of date. Last I read was that he "died" at the end of an Uncanny X-Force arc and was reborn with no memories.

Has he gotten his memories back and what's the deal with his current powers? White skin, but metal wings? Still has his healing/healing factor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reinanigans posted:

Wikipedia's article on Angel/Archangel is seriously out of date. Last I read was that he "died" at the end of an Uncanny X-Force arc and was reborn with no memories.

Has he gotten his memories back and what's the deal with his current powers? White skin, but metal wings? Still has his healing/healing factor?

Since they brought young Warren in nobody has really given a poo poo about original Warren.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Since they brought young Warren in nobody has really given a poo poo about original Warren.

It's kind of disgraceful how they just stone cold offed the old Cyclops, too. I liked that guy. :sigh:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 22, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

It's okay, he's going to be in Uncanny X-Men and he'll be good and fun and drawn by Greg Land and :smith:

E: Also I liked the line about "flaming Wolverine" because being on fire all the time is the best power and if you could be on fire all the time you should :parrot:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rhyno posted:

Could you elaborate? I've seen the new X-Men series on the stands featuring the original five in their OG gold/blue costumes. Time travel shenanigans? I think I read that the Bobby from that set of dudes was gay and had a crush on Warren, but the regular timeline Iceman was still straight?

What were the differences between the "normal" timeline X-Men and their "younger" counterparts? Do they interact with each other?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Reinanigans posted:

What were the differences between the "normal" timeline X-Men and their "younger" counterparts? Do they interact with each other?

http://i.imgur.com/8PAwPyR.jpg

Basically, most of their interactions has been "wtf dude", and the younger ones have not been impressed with their future selves. Well, except Jean, but with regular Jean being dead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Reinanigans posted:

Could you elaborate? I've seen the new X-Men series on the stands featuring the original five in their OG gold/blue costumes. Time travel shenanigans? I think I read that the Bobby from that set of dudes was gay and had a crush on Warren, but the regular timeline Iceman was still straight?

They have a gently caress you dad attitude but they aren't that different.

Well Jean is an rear end in a top hat, so there is that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Reinanigans posted:

Beast brought them back from the past to show Scott how wrong he was about things but that was dumb since Scott is always right, so now everyone hates Beast, especially Maria Hill, and the original kids are pretty much here to stay.

They interact with each other all the time, yes. Young Hank basically despises Old Hank, for one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uncanny is probably gonna reset Archangel, which is good.

For as good as Uncanny X-Force was, they sure had no idea what to do with Angel after that Apocalypse arc. Should have killed him, probably.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If any of the original X-Men needed to be killed off it was Beast. He's become a total poo poo character. I'm pretty happy the rumor that Bendis was going to merge the two Icemen into one ended up being false.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

so now everyone hates Beast, especially Maria Hill
The best part of that entire run.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well yeah, original Beast loving sucks now and needs to be killed off or reverted back to happy fun Beast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Who doesn't like Sanctimonious writer stand in Beast?????

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Who doesn't like Sanctimonious writer stand in Beast?????

So Bendis is saying that he is the worst? He has not been written as right for a while now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bendis already has Kong, you're not allowed to have more than one personal stand in!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Have Terrible O5 Jean revert Beast to his happy phase. Y'know, for his "own good."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Bendis already has Kong, you're not allowed to have more than one personal stand in!

I miss Kong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

So Bendis is saying that he is the worst? He has not been written as right for a while now.

Beast was that long before Bendis, though Bendis did it too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

I miss Kong

He's a supporting character in Starbrand and Nightmask.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

The best part of that entire run.

I can't deal with this poo poo Maria Hill is best Maria Hill.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Her time machine panel, probably from the same comic, was pretty good too.

I think Aaron was building up to something with Angel because it was a running plot thread in WatXM but it kind of got dropped when Bendis took over.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. Englehart's Stoner Hank is The Beast. All other Beasts are pale imitations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I actually liked Old Beast in that little snippet of Uncanny Inhumans I read. "I've hosed with the timeline so much that I'm now aware when other people are loving with it."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Aaron was building up to something with Angel because it was a running plot thread in WatXM but it kind of got dropped when Bendis took over.

Aaron clearly had a plan and WatXm was the flagship book until Bendis came along.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

He's a supporting character in Starbrand and Nightmask.

I wish that comic didn't leave me feeling completely disinterested in reading any more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Yep that's who I'm thinking off. I guess she saw Lelands outfit and said "yea, I'm just going to wear a mask over the lower part of my face rather than looking like that'.

I reminded of the brief and strange period - just before Mutant Massacre - when the main Hellfire Club characters all traded in their usual evening attire for supervillain costumes?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Codependent Poster posted:

Uncanny is probably gonna reset Archangel, which is good.

For as good as Uncanny X-Force was, they sure had no idea what to do with Angel after that Apocalypse arc. Should have killed him, probably.

In some strange way, the power of that arc is kind of reinforced by the way that Angel is still like that and they didn't go "oh, well, he got better" like a minute later.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have a gently caress you dad attitude but they aren't that different.

Well Jean is an rear end in a top hat, so there is that.

What were old Jean's character traits? All I can remember is her being the designated sexual conquest and turning into the Phoenix.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MY ABACUS! posted:

What were old Jean's character traits?

Dying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MY ABACUS! posted:

What were old Jean's character traits? All I can remember is her being the designated sexual conquest and turning into the Phoenix.

SCOTTTTTT!!!!!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MY ABACUS! posted:

Being meek.

Later adaptations like First Class tried to give her a sassy personality but it doesn't really work.

She's just kind of...there.

e: basically she doesn't really get interesting until she's possessed by the Phoenix and turns into a bit of an egomaniac.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

MY ABACUS! posted:

Jean's the one member of the original team who never really got any layers of additional characterization, because first she was Phoenix and then she was dead. Cyclops was the leader of the team for 30 years, and the other three all had lengthy periods of time on other teams. When Jean tried to leave the X-Men and make a go of it as a normal civilian, she almost immediately gets sucked back into shenanigans, and even if the X-Men hadn't done it, she was Misty Knight's roommate, so sooner or later Jean would've probably ended up fighting Luke Cage villains.

(Actually, Jean Grey: Hero for Hire would be a pretty excellent What If. She never becomes Phoenix and she turns into a telepathic social worker.)

In the early books, she's a 1960s-style female superhero, who gradually became more self-confident and outgoing as she went on, much of it as a natural counterpart to Cyclops's repression. Then her arc's mostly about being Phoenix, and the attendant risks of losing control, until she dies. When she comes back, Louise Simonson had her angsting for a while, but she gets over it by the time she rejoins the X-Men, at which point she also more or less goes back to her default "female superhero" characterization: competent, fearless, a very bad person to make angry. The closest thing to a standard personality she gets is probably close to what she has in the Morrison run, and even he went back to the Phoenix thing, because that's pretty much all that Jean ever got.

She could use a solo book by somebody like Greg Rucka or maybe Willow Wilson.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jean always felt kind of strangled by being a motivation more than a person to me. She has traits but I honestly couldn't tell you any strong opinions she holds beyond the fairly generic heroic superheroine opinions. For all that Young Jean Grey is kind of a prying jerk she at least seems to have something resembling traits, even if they're negative.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I've always been vaguely aware that Jean Grey existed, she was involved in some pretty major comic events, and she showed up in all the movies and cartoons, but yeah I never knew anything about her personality other than "feels she's more capable than everyone else because she's genuinely one of the most powerful mutants". Good to know I wasn't really missing anything.

Wanderer posted:

She could use a solo book by somebody like Greg Rucka or maybe Willow Wilson.

I would be all for this. In fact we probably should have already gotten that instead of the Cyclops spin off from All-New X-Men but v:v:v.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

Aaron clearly had a plan and WatXm was the flagship book until Bendis came along.

BENDIS! :argh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Any plan that involves a detour with an evil circus was not a very good plan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

redbackground posted:

Any plan that involves a detour with an evil circus was not a very good plan.

You're right.

It is the best plan.

Why did Aaron stop writing X-Men? Did Bendis just pull rank and say 'I want to write this now?' Were there some behind-the-scenes disagreements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Aaron just wanted to have fun writing X-Men. Bendis probably came in with his grand vision, and Aaron saw that as a good time to step away. This also could be around the time he was approached about Star Wars.

Or let's just chalk it up to Marvel trying to ruin the X-Men.

• Locked thread