Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Technology exists to just have Elba be everyone in a movie. And it would be the best movie EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Fluo posted:

I don't care that she is black in this play, I just find the people getting mad at her being black in the play are as dumb as the people falling over themselves to say she wasn't white in the books

I want Hermione to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

I dunno, pointing to book covers isn't always the best for proving what characters are supposed to look like since they're just an interpretation too. The first book had Dumbledore as a young man with a short brown beard on the cover! (I was so confused for the longest time, I had no idea who it was supposed to be.)

If a book's vague with a description I just get my own image and ignore anything that tries to change it once it's stuck. If you decide to say he has blonde hair halfway though the book then screw you I'm still imagining it as brown!

Basically it doesn't matter and everyone will be cast as white when it's made into a movie anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

twistedmentat posted:

Technology exists to just have Elba be everyone in a movie. And it would be the best movie EVER.

Can we all just be Idris Elba?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think that authors have any input on the book covers, do they?

Laverna posted:

Basically it doesn't matter and everyone will be cast as white when it's made into a movie anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsea_(miniseries)

It's not just movies based on books that do that

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Laverna posted:

No, the entire universe would be destroyed if there was more then one Idris Elba.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

I don't think that authors have any input on the book covers, do they?

Yeah, exactly. Most of the time they're just another interpretation of it, right?

And from some of the covers I've seen it seems like the illustrator barely bothered reading the book at all!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Klaus88 posted:

No, the entire universe would be destroyed if there was more then one Idris Elba.

Worth it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

King Pow 2 sounds great already.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

zakharov posted:

The Spartans lost.

The Persians were obviously the good guys. The Persian empire was very multicultural with a huge variety of different religious and ethnic groups living together. The Persians also had some very strict restrictions on slavery because slavery is frowned upon in Zoroastarianism, the state religion of the empire. They also allowed women to have more rights than basically anyone in the ancient world. The Spartans on the other hand were a military junta that was only sustainable because of the large slave underclass that did the actual work and their allies were a bunch of pedophiles who thought that women were practically property. Democracy was pretty overrated.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Laverna posted:

Yeah, exactly. Most of the time they're just another interpretation of it, right?

And from some of the covers I've seen it seems like the illustrator barely bothered reading the book at all!

Illustrators are usually just given a short blurb or scene of what to illustrate. They sometimes have the option of reading the book, but that takes time they could be making money, so...

And yeah, I remember a while back there was a big thing when the book Liar, about a black girl came out with a white girl on the cover. Book covers don't mean poo poo about the characters inside, because they're chosen to sell the book.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I had to read an Alex Cross novel for class once, and I got all the way to the end before realizing that the main character was supposed to be black. I even looked the movie up partway through reading it and saw they had casted Tyler Perry for the role, and I didn't think anything of it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Laverna posted:

I identify as Idris Elba and demand to be treated as one.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

I remember I had to read an Alex Cross novel for class once, and I got all the way to the end before realizing that the main character was supposed to be black. I even looked the movie up partway through reading it and saw they had casted Tyler Perry for the role, and I didn't think anything of it

What kinda class makes you read airport novels?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Same

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Averagetoolfan.jpeg

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

grittyreboot posted:

What kinda class makes you read airport novels?

A pop culture class. There were three other novels assigned to different students, one was Fifty Shades, another was a cheap knockoff of Fifty Shades that was capitalizing on its popularity, and I forget what the last one was but it wasn't good either.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I am loathe to divert from the derail, because I actually thought it was a good read, but:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

twistedmentat posted:

I identify as Idris Elba and demand to be treated as one.

TransElbaism is just Being A Decent Person gone wrong!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ignoring the politics on this one, why would anyone make fun of kids for believing in Santa? That's hosed up.

And now a whole bunch of people defending statutory rape because 'boys will be boys'

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I love how in every goddamned Internet thread about female teacher/male student statutory rape, some of the dudes are all "hey, it's hot, that kid's lucky, feminazis need to chill about this" and some of the dudes are all "this is all because feminazis don't hold women criminals responsible".

Feminazis! What can't they do!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

when your a guy in puberity

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Ugh, that last guy.

"Oh god, that was amazing! Where did you learn to do that?"
"My teacher raped me when I was in high school." :wiggle:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm kind of weirded out by how this happens so often that it's in the news on a weekly, sometimes daily basis

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

also i really like that people who use that TRIGGERED meme are usually massive shits who themselves get triggered when others do not share their opinion

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I don't understand why anybody gets into a discussion like that without starting from 'what would you think if the genders were reversed'. There's not much left to argue after that point, I find.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vulpes posted:

I don't understand why anybody gets into a discussion like that without starting from 'what would you think if the genders were reversed'. There's not much left to argue after that point, I find.

The argument I have heard against that (said very seriously) is that boys will boys and they develope differently and therefore it's not that bad. Seriously.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Madkal posted:

The argument I have heard against that (said very seriously) is that boys will boys and they develope differently and therefore it's not that bad. Seriously.

Plus obviously if their dick gets hard it means they want it even though our culture has a long-running joke about how boners have a mind if their own and can't be controlled.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

cash crab posted:

I am loathe to divert from the derail, because I actually thought it was a good read, but:

What if I wanna play on Nightmare!! for maximum brutality? :colbert:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

What if I wanna play on Nightmare!! for maximum brutality? :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well they did say it's different for boys than girls. So there's that at least.

I don't think I've ever heard of a situation where the teenage boy came out of hot teacher rape better than he went in - except maybe for that Mary Jo kid who went on to marry his rapist. But hey, sexy teachers am I rite.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Add being black and you got it

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

cash crab posted:

The maker of this image got the labels reversed, and even then its only easy mode you're white.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

cash crab posted:

English can be quite confusing. Hard here means the opposite of soft and easy here means they met on tinder.

Which is totally cool for consenting adults.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bad CGI portrait offfffff..... Tesla?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
What's with all the nerds sucking Tesla's dick recently?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
loving Christ I am looking forward to when this Tesla circlejerk is over and done with. Everything The Oatmeal touches turns to annoying.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Trick question! I don't know who either of them are. :smug:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Byzantine posted:

What's with all the nerds sucking Tesla's dick recently?

"Look at me I'm so loving intelligent and better than everyone else, because I know one of the most famous scientists in all of human history who is slightly less famous than Einstein. But I cant pick an actually obscure scientist to humblebrag about because then no one will be proud of my clearly superior intelligence levels, I'll just get ignored and left out of the circlejerk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bitch please. Tesla got poo poo on Linus Pauling.